Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,898 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:49 PM

‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ (6173 Views)

No Nigeria Armed Forces Officer Has Attain The Rank Of Field Marshal / 2015: It’s Either A Northerner Or No More Nigeria - Farouk Adamu Aliyu / Ondo State: Nigeria Oil Producing State, NO Nigeria project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Ovularia: 2:27pm On Nov 05, 2010
http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/levi-obijiofor/it-must-be-a-northerner-or-no-nigeria.html

‘It must be a northerner or no Nigeria’

By Levi Obijiofor

Friday, 5 November 2010

Junaid Mohammed, one of the distinguished members of the Northern Political Leaders Forum (NPLF), cuts the image of an urbane, polished politician. He speaks with the fluency of a cultivated municipal orator. But he holds very strong and uncompromising views about the geographic region of Nigeria that is entitled to produce the next president in 2011. He speaks disdainfully about President Goodluck Jonathan whom he regards as an opportunist, and a man clinging desperately to office in order to subvert what he (Junaid) perceives as the birthright of the north to nominate the next presidential candidate in the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).

This is where the irony kicks in because Junaid Mohammed, a dedicated defender of the north, is not even a member of the PDP. Yet, when you hear him speak, you will think he is the chairperson of the PDP on a mission to enforce the zoning arrangement within the party. Nevertheless, Junaid Mohammed is an interviewer’s delight. He knows how to blow hot at the right moment although sometimes he fails to recognise when it is fitting to tone down his rhetoric.

In an interview with The Guardian (2 November 2010), Junaid – a member of the People’s Salvation Party (PSP) -- was asked what he expected would happen if Goodluck Jonathan won the PDP’s endorsement to contest the 2011 presidential election. He said: “There would be violence. First, the PDP would never be the same again. People would desert the PDP in droves; secondly, the north is not going to take it hands down. I want to assure that I want you to hold me to this after seeing the way the events shape.”

This kind of incendiary comment and unbending attitude will offend many politicians from other parts of the country. I have no problem with the PDP disintegrating. Indeed, many people would be delighted to see the PDP crumble. Some others would be happy to administer the last rites to a dying PDP. But I have a problem with politicians who insist that things must be done their own way or there will be no progress. It’s like someone or region is holding an entire nation hostage. Junaid Mohammed’s views constitute an apocalyptic prediction. In a democracy, it is not everyone who would be satisfied with every decision taken by a political party.

Junaid Mohammed’s deep-seated views on the right of the north to produce a presidential candidate cannot be regarded as trivial, even by those who don’t agree with him. First, his arguments about the determination of the north to produce a presidential candidate in the PDP signify a more serious danger lurking at the threshold of Nigeria’s unity. Second, as a privileged member of the Northern Political Leaders Forum (NPLF), Junaid Mohammed’s comments provide us with deep insights into the images of Nigeria that some regional leaders hold about the country. Third, dogmatism rather than esteemed argument seems to drive the idea that anyone who does not share the views of members of a geographical entity must be deemed an enemy. Things don’t just happen that way.

Junaid Mohammed speaks about the north as if it were a unit separated from the Nigerian state. When he said, for example, that Jonathan’s emergence as the presidential candidate of the PDP would not be accepted by the north, he seemed to be laying the foundation for a final assault on Nigeria as it is currently composed, an attack that would leave both sides of politics gasping for oxygen. The problem is that Junaid Mohammed’s conflict-ridden political sermon could in fact help to fan the hawkish views of all those disaffected citizens who have expressed interest in supervising a quick and neat dismemberment of Nigeria.

It’s been only four decades since Nigeria rose from the ashes of the pogrom that nearly wiped out an entire ethnic group. Does Junaid and those waving the northern flag want to ignite another regional conflagration, this time on the excuse that the PDP leaders could not resolve the dispute that has emerged over which region should nominate the presidential candidate? It is a dreadful proposition. No one can figure out precisely what the consequences might be.

Having heard Junaid Mohammed speak steadfastly about his opposition to the emergence of a southern presidential candidate in the PDP, The Guardian reporter asked him: “As a member of the People’s Salvation Party (PSP), how do you feel supporting zoning, which is an internal arrangement of the PDP?” Junaid Mohammed shot back angrily: “I am a northerner and if that is my identity, I am not prepared to throw it aside and allow myself to be insulted. What is happening now is an insult to the North.”

Junaid Mohammed’s logic defies understanding. It lacks a moral foundation. Loyal defenders of the south are also likely to argue that their region has been insulted for many years and that they deserve to produce the next president, in light of the long history of northern domination. But, really, all this talk about the PDP producing the next president is decorated with arrogance. It assumes that whosoever emerges as the presidential candidate of the PDP has been pre-ordained to win the election in 2011. It is a misleading assumption which mocks the ability of other political parties to win the presidential election.

Junaid Mohammed was asked about his preferred solution to the current controversy over the zoning arrangement in the PDP. He responded in an even more provocative fashion. His words: “This is the business of those who brought us to the place where we are today. Go and ask Goodluck, go and ask Obasanjo, E.K Clark, let them tell you which is the way out. They want power and they want to use power to abuse office and insult certain people. Northerners are saying it is their own turn whether they like it or not because there is an agreement on the table and this agreement cannot be wished away. It was an agreement brought at the instance of the people in the south. If they are saying they don’t know about it, let’s see who blinks first.”

When the reporter suggested that sheer insistence on a northern presidential candidate might lead to the neglect of a more qualified aspirant, Junaid Mohammed replied: “Are they saying that credible Nigerians cannot come from the North? Why must you exclude the North from the production of a credible Nigerian? Is it only the South that is capable of producing credible people?, If the former president Olusegun Obasanjo had given the country the kind of leadership it wanted, he would have been a leader that Nigerians would live to respect.”

The jibe at Obasanjo is probably true. For eight uninterrupted years, Obasanjo had all the opportunities to transform Nigeria and to engrave his name in history’s gold bars but he gambled those opportunities and opted instead to leave his name in a smoke-filled vent that contains the names of undistinguished Nigerians such as Sani Abacha.

Asked how he would evaluate Goodluck Jonathan’s performance, Junaid Mohammed said dismissively: “What is there to assess? What has he done? Since the time he became Acting President, he has been consumed and obsessed with the possibility of wanting to perpetuate himself in power… We have seen the divisive manner he went about making appointment in the federal cabinet; some of them were outrightly scandalous.”

To be fair, it is not only Junaid Mohammed who has been singing the grating music about the entitlement of the north to produce a common presidential candidate who would puncture Goodluck Jonathan’s ambition. Atiku Abubakar, former vice-president and now competitor in the PDP’s presidential race, echoed similar sentiments nearly six weeks ago. Speaking at the Ilorin airport in late September 2010, he said: “Whoever emerges as a consensus candidate from the North at the end of the day will be accepted by all of us. What we want is somebody that will represent the interest of the people of Nigeria and promote unity and understanding among the people irrespective of your religion, tribe and ideology.”

I don’t see how this could be in “the interest of the people of Nigeria” or for the unity of the country when a group of politicians insist their region must produce the next president or there would be no Nigeria. The political atmosphere is heating up fast. And there is no likelihood that the tension within and outside the PDP could ease even before the party primary commences.

Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Afam4eva(m): 2:30pm On Nov 05, 2010
I serious don;t understand what the northern political elites think they are.If a region that has ruled for most part of the country' s existence can be making such noise then what do they expext from Igbos that have not ruled this country since 1966.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by bkbabe97y(m): 2:34pm On Nov 05, 2010
afam4eva:

I serious don;t understand what the northern political elites think they are.If a region that has ruled for most part of the country' s existence can be making such noise then what do they expext from Igbos that have not ruled this country since 1966.

Why dont you pose the question to Ojukwu and the rest of Ibo nation that were the first to insist that the North produce the next President?!!?
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by becomrich4: 2:36pm On Nov 05, 2010
tell them no nigeria. that not election is about.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Beaf: 2:53pm On Nov 05, 2010
In an interview with The Guardian (2 November 2010), Junaid – a member of the People’s Salvation Party (PSP) -- was asked what he expected would happen if Goodluck Jonathan won the PDP’s endorsement to contest the 2011 presidential election. He said: “There would be violence. First, the PDP would never be the same again. People would desert the PDP in droves; secondly, the north is not going to take it hands down. I want to assure that I want you to hold me to this after seeing the way the events shape.”

The bastar'd should be locked up and tried for treason.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by seanet02: 2:58pm On Nov 05, 2010
Arrant Nonsense
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Beaf: 2:59pm On Nov 05, 2010
The man is not even a member of PDP. He belongs to some obscure party that is unlikely to extend past the gates of his compound. . .
Peoples Salvation Party (PSP)! Who ever heard of anything so ridiculous?

1 Like

Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by aljharem(m): 3:03pm On Nov 05, 2010
even us, we are tried of this uncalled for marriage
[size=15pt] we want arewa republic as soon as possible
we are tried of southerners
yes we are really tried[/size]
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by DapoBear(m): 3:09pm On Nov 05, 2010
No Nigeria? Sounds good to me. Let them go contest for office in the Almajiri Republic.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by na2day(m): 3:13pm On Nov 05, 2010
It seems the only people really fighting hard to hold this patchwork of a nation together are those robbing us blind, why is dat?  undecided
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by seanet02: 3:14pm On Nov 05, 2010
alj harem:

even us, we are tried of this uncalled for marriage
[size=15pt] we want arewa republic as soon as possible
we are tried of southerners
yes we are really tried[/size]

The Creation Of Another CHAD AND NIGER REPUBLICS is coming with more Hausas cum Northerners going like this
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by auwal87(m): 3:23pm On Nov 05, 2010
grin Arewa Republic coming soon, Junaidu don't worry much about that, just make sure you attend our meetings regularly!
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by na2day(m): 3:27pm On Nov 05, 2010
auwal87:

grin Arewa Republic coming soon, Junaidu don't worry much about that, just make sure you attend our meetings regularly!
At least we know where the Iranian bombs are going! grin
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by udezue(m): 3:31pm On Nov 05, 2010
God Bless Arewa Republic.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by auwal87(m): 3:35pm On Nov 05, 2010
na2day!:

At least we know where the Iranian bombs are going! grin

exactly!
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by auwal87(m): 3:36pm On Nov 05, 2010
udezue:

Amen!
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by jason12345: 3:38pm On Nov 05, 2010
udezue:

LOL. Its lie when this people go, the whole country would be celebrating!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by DapoBear(m): 3:39pm On Nov 05, 2010
na2day!:

At least we know where the Iranian bombs are going!  grin

There is no need for bombs. If the North wants to go, I'll help them pack! Even give them some pocket money for their journey. You will not find anyone in Southern Nigeria who opposes an Almajiri Republic.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by udezue(m): 3:47pm On Nov 05, 2010
auwal87:

Amen!

Atleast we agree on one thing. grin
jason12345:

LOL. Its lie when this people go, the whole country would be celebrating!!! grin grin grin grin

I will be doing the Dougie, Ekonbi and Ogene achikolo dance when they finally form their great Islamic Republic. grin I want to sponsor them sef.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by jason12345: 3:50pm On Nov 05, 2010
udezue:

Atleast we agree on one thing. grin
I will be doing the Dougie, Ekonbi and Ogene achikolo dance when they finally form their great Islamic Republic. grin I want to sponsor them sef.

lmao!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

oh boy, no back your back oooo!!!!!!!!!! we would still need you in southern nigeria grin grin grin grin grin
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by aljharem(m): 3:53pm On Nov 05, 2010
why are u ppl celebrating

ain't u meant to be tell or begging us to stay like u did to the igbos angry angry angry

are the igbo more important than us

well i just want arewa republic to done fast
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by jason12345: 3:56pm On Nov 05, 2010
alj harem:

ain't u meant to be tell or begging us to stay like u did to the igbos angry angry angry

no we wouldn't grin
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by aljharem(m): 3:58pm On Nov 05, 2010
jason12345:

no we wouldn't grin

what do u mean, so u ppl want us to go that bad
well that is fine

we are going to declare arewa republic very soon
# u southerners are going to be begging us for food and money

u watch
angry angry angry
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by jason12345: 4:01pm On Nov 05, 2010
alj harem:

well that is fine

u watch
angry angry angry

i seriously doubt that[b][/b]
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by udezue(m): 4:05pm On Nov 05, 2010
jason12345:

lmao!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

oh boy, no back your back oooo!!!!!!!!!! we would still need you in southern nigeria grin grin grin grin grin

I will return once my mission has been accomplished and thats clear independence and secession of Almajiri people. grin
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Beaf: 4:08pm On Nov 05, 2010
alj harem:

This thread has turned as ridiculously funny as Junaid Mohammed! grin grin grin
Dude, we will give grants (free money), loans, advice and free help from the various transport companies (should any need such assistance). Since goro grows in the rainforests, we will also ensure a free and steady supply for a number of years.

We will accept Niger state, Plateau, Benue, Taraba, Adamawa, Kogi, Kwara, Kaduna whose Christian and minority Muslim populations will refuse to join Arewa point blank (who wan be jaki? grin).
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by udezue(m): 4:11pm On Nov 05, 2010
alj harem:

well that is fine

u watch
angry angry angry

LOL What food? Gone are the days when we really cared about your damn food and besides you need our business so either way that ur food must come down south or else you will starve to death while we quietly trade with Burklina Faso, Cameroon, or better cultivate ours. Who told you places like Ebonti state don't exist? Guy we have enough food. You are too damn poor to let ur tomatoes rot so you will be the ones begging to buy and import your food. BTW the main food basket is in non-musim HAUSA, non-core-northern AREAS OF THE MIDDLEBELT and no they are not even planiing to be part of your islamic republic.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by aljharem(m): 4:16pm On Nov 05, 2010
udezue:

LOL What food? Gone are the days when we really cared about your damn food and besides you need our business so either way that your food must come down south or else you will starve to death while we quietly trade with Burklina Faso, Cameroon, or better cultivate ours. Who told you places like Ebonti state don't exist? Guy we have enough food. You are too damn poor to let your tomatoes rot so you will be the ones begging to buy and import your food. BTW the main food basket is in non-musim HAUSA, non-core-northern AREAS OF THE MIDDLEBELT and no they are not even planiing to be part of your islamic republic. angry angry angry angry
do u know that groundnuts, cotton etc are produce in the core north

do u think the middlebelt will follow you

they are our brothers.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by namfav(m): 4:20pm On Nov 05, 2010
nigeria is a colonial creation, why is it no one is complaing about these coward and disillusioned biafrans?
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by DapoBear(m): 4:21pm On Nov 05, 2010
So let me ask my Igbo people a question. If somehow the North left, would you guys want to split from the remainder too? Personally I'm of the opinion that it would be possible to form a very good, strongly federalist state (with very weak central gov't) with the remainder of Nigeria. But I suspect that due to past history (especially events from the Biafra war), you guys would want to leave if you could.

I'd be fine with either choice, but am curious.

This question also goes to Edo, Delta minorities, Middle Belters, too. And to my Itsekiri and my Yoruba from Kwara, which side will you choose? Keep in mind that in all cases, I advocate a strongly federalist state, with constituent states having most of the power over their affairs.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by udezue(m): 4:24pm On Nov 05, 2010
alj harem:

do u know that groundnuts, cotton etc are produce in the core north

do u think the middlebelt will follow you

they are our brothers.

And who told you we are in need of groundnuts? So maka groundnuts we will oppose your Republic? Naw don't worry we will import from somewhere or better grow our own. Its not rocket science or do you think it is? lol If Middlebelt-Southern Kaduan people who u have been killing and oppressing are that moronic to join you then so be it. They won't be missed either.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Beaf: 4:25pm On Nov 05, 2010
DapoBear:

So let me ask my Igbo people a question. If somehow the North left, would you guys want to split from the remainder too? Personally I'm of the opinion that it would be possible to form a very good, strongly federalist state (with very weak central gov't) with the remainder of Nigeria. But I suspect that due to past history (especially events from the Biafra war), you guys would want to leave if you could.

I'd be fine with either choice, but am curious.

This question also goes to Edo, Delta minorities, Middle Belters, too. And to my Itsekiri and my Yoruba from Kwara, which side will you choose? Keep in mind that in all cases, I advocate a strongly federalist state, with constituent states having most of the power over their affairs.

Edo, Delta minorities will roll with true federalism. I am 100% certain the Igbo's will too (same goes for Middle Belt); the thing we all hate is this unitary system foisted on us by military regimes (a system which benefits the core North only and drags the of us rest back).

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Heads Will Roll Over SARS Offiice Attack- IG Police / Tinubu Private Jet Worth Double Lionel Messi New $15 Million Dollar Acquisition / Saraki Send Powerful Message To Nigerians At Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.