Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,987 members, 7,814,373 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible (41533 Views)

Osimhen & Boniface Beat Ronaldo As World Best Strikers By SPORTbible / China Bans Footballers From Getting Tattoos / Ranking Of Golden Boot Winners: Messi The 1st To Claim This Award For 6 Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 6:33pm On Oct 14, 2019
I think I agree with this and feel free to add players into the catergories.

1. GOAT: Lionel Messi

2. Legend: Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo Luis Nazario de Lima, Cristiano Ronaldo, Johan Cruyff, Carles Puyol and Diego Maradona

3. Great: Gianluigi Buffon, Rivaldo, Ryan Giggs, Thierry Henry, Steven Gerrard, Alan Shearer, Frank Lampard, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Roberto Carlos

4. Good: Sergio Aguero, Didier Drogba, Virgil van Dijk, Robin van Persie, David Beckham and Kylian Mbappe

5. Underrated: Sergio Busquets, Wayne Rooney, Arjen Robben and Son Heung-min

6. Overrated: Alexis Sanchez, Antoine Griezmann, Mesut Ozil, Gerard Pique, Pele, Neymar, Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema

Source: https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-footballers-and-legends-ranked-from-goat-to-overrated-20191011.amp.html

My own additions:

Legend: Okocha, Iniesta
Great: Drogba, Robinho
Good: Crespo, Gabriel Jesus
Underrated: Essien, Dybala, Marcelo
Overrated: Kanu Nwankwo, Luka Modric, Iwobi, Tony Kroos, Firmino

40 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by ElasticStone(m): 6:39pm On Oct 14, 2019
Gbam!

My own additions

Legends: Jay Jay Okocha
Great: E. Hazard, Kaka
Good: Kanu, Samuel Eto o, luis Suarez
Underrated: Casemiro, Aubameyang, Nglo Kante, Cavani, La Cazette
Overrated: Luka Modric, Coutinho, Mandzukic

Modified#
FTC: I dedicate this page to those who think Messi is the goat. Una sabi beta tin

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 14, 2019
ElasticStone:
Gbam!

My own additions

Legends: Jay Jay Okocha
Great: E. Hazard, Kaka
Good: Kanu, Samuel Eto o, luis Suarez
Underrated: Casemiro, Aubameyang, Nglo Kante, Cavani, La Cazette
Overrated: Luka Modric, Coutinho, Mandzukic

Yea, I agree with you on Okocha, Kanu, Eto and Suarez. I however think that Modric is both good and overrated. cheesy

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Jokerman(m): 6:51pm On Oct 14, 2019
A barcelonian list grin

We are talking of the "greatest "... What has Messi done or acheived on won that this players haven't done

Pele
Maradona
Zidane
Ronaldo
CR7

200 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by BlackHummer(m): 6:52pm On Oct 14, 2019
I think Kanu and Okocha are also both good and overrated. They may qualify as legends in Africa though.

Messi GOAT? Ronaldo fans are coming for head. Like the dude above me

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by BlackHummer(m): 6:53pm On Oct 14, 2019
Jokerman:
A barcelonian list grin

We are talking of the "greatest "... What has Messi done or acheived on won that this players haven't done

Pele
Maradona
Zidane
Ronaldo
CR7

I was right. Ronaldo crew will not agree with the list. grin

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by ElasticStone(m): 6:55pm On Oct 14, 2019
Jokerman:
A barcelonian list grin

Pele
Maradona
Zidane
Ronaldo
CR7

Ronaldo fanboy spotted. grin

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 14, 2019
Jokerman:
A barcelonian list grin

Pele
Maradona
Zidane
Ronaldo
CR7
shocked
Real footballers know that Messi is the goat. As Zlatan Ibrahimovic would say, " Ronaldo is a trained product".

@bolded. To start with, they have not won Ballon d'or and Fifa men's player award as much as Messi, neither has their goals been nominated for puskas as much as Messi.

Modified#
Those of you saying that Messi does not score in critical matches don't know that more than half of the time spent by opposing teams during training is on how to stop Messi. The photo below is self explanatory.They should kuku kee Messi na

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by dayowunmi(m): 7:10pm On Oct 14, 2019
BlackHummer:

I was right. Ronaldo crew will not agree with the list. grin
Don't be cynical. Answer his question. What major title or achievement has Messi won that Ronaldo hasn't? Facts only. And pls don't come and bang about goals scored. What has Messi won over Ronaldo or even Maradona or Pele?

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by dayowunmi(m): 7:13pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:

shocked
Real footballers know that Messi is the goat. As Zlatan Ibrahimovic would say, " Ronaldo is a trained product".

@bolded. To start with, they have not won Ballon d'or and Fifa men's player award as much as Messi, neither has their goals been nominated for puskas as much as Messi.
Just hear yourself talk bro. Puskas nomination is an achievement? Nominated but never won for that matter! Fifa best player is an award issued based on votes. Votes can be political. Both Ronaldo and Messi have both won Balon'dors which were highly underservered cos its easier for them to get pity votes due to their fame.

62 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by BlackHummer(m): 7:14pm On Oct 14, 2019
dayowunmi:

Don't be cynical. Answer his question. What major title or achievement has Messi won that Ronaldo hasn't? Facts only. And pls don't come and bang about goals scored. What has Messi won over Ronaldo or even Maradona or Pele?

The question has been answered by Danxplore.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Timmy301(m): 7:19pm On Oct 14, 2019
List is quite shitty biko

3 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Icon79(m): 7:19pm On Oct 14, 2019
Mine:

1. GOAT: Lionel "Leo" Messi - one and only!

2. Legends: Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo de Lima, Johan Cruyff, Carles Puyol, George Weah Opong, and Diego Maradona

3. Great: Gianluigi Buffon, Rivaldo, Franco Baresi, Roger Miller, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Abedi Pele, Neymar Jr, Austin Jay Jay Okocha, Samuel Eto'o, and Roberto Carlos

4. Good: Sergio Aguero, Didier Drogba, Virgil van Dijk, Robin van Persie, Kanu Nwankwo, Theophile Abega, and Kylian Mbappe

5. Underrated: Ngolo Kante, Yaya Toure, Oman Biyik, Sunday Oliseh, and Wilfred Ndidi

6. Overrated: Antoine Griezmann, Mesut Ozil, Gareth Bale, Michele Platini, Cesc Fabregas, Sergio Busquets, Karim Benzema, and Cristiano Ronaldo

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 7:24pm On Oct 14, 2019
dayowunmi:

Just hear yourself talk bro. Puskas nomination is an achievement? Nominated but never won for that matter! Fifa best player is an award issued based on votes. Votes can be political. Both Ronaldo and Messi have both won Balon'dors which were highly underservered cos its easier for them to get pity votes due to their fame.

The bolded was to buttress his greatness in that context.

In statistics, consistency is being defined when an outcome occurs severally. Ronaldo, like Messi, has won Bd'or severally making them far better than the rest above and so the arguement shoud be between Messi and CR7.

"Pity votes" is the singular line of defence most Messi-Antagonists use against him. Are you saying Ronaldo has not been a beneficiary of "pity votes"? What was so outstanding about CR7 last season that made him to be nominated alongside VVD and Leo for Ballon d'or and Fifa men's respectively?

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 14, 2019
Icon79:
Mine:

1. GOAT: Lionel "Leo" Messi - one and only!

2. Legends: Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo de Lima, Johan Cruyff, Carles Puyol, George Weah Opong, and Diego Maradona

3. Great: Gianluigi Buffon, Rivaldo, Franco Baresi, Roger Miller, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Abedi Pele, Neymar Jr, Austin Jay Jay Okocha, Samuel Eto'o, and Roberto Carlos

4. Good: Sergio Aguero, Didier Drogba, Virgil van Dijk, Robin van Persie, Kanu Nwankwo, Theophile Abega, and Kylian Mbappe

5. Underrated: Ngolo Kante, Yaya Toure, Oman Biyik, Sunday Oliseh, and Wilfred Ndidi

6. Overrated: Antoine Griezmann, Mesut Ozil, Gareth Bale, Michele Platini, Cesc Fabregas, Sergio Busquets, Karim Benzema, and Cristiano Ronaldo

@coloured. This table you are shaking... grin

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Jokerman(m): 7:39pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:

shocked

Ogbeni...

Pele's player of the century award is bigger than 100 ballondors

Pele a three time World Cup winner

Pele 1260 goals to his name

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Jokerman(m): 7:42pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:

shocked

Puskas that Messi has never won?? So nomination is what defines greatness.. Lol

Ogbeni what has Messi acheived for him to be termed the greatest player ever over Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Delima or even CR7

23 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 14, 2019
Jokerman:

Ogbeni...

Pele's player of the century award is bigger than 100 ballondors

Pele a three time World Cup winner

Pele 1260 goals to his name

Lol in what universe is player of the century better than as many ballon d'or? Remember that Pelle played in the era where football was less sophisticated unlike Messi.

Also, I think it is more ideal to consider a player's individual performance than collective. No matter how good a player is, if you have very useless defenders who concede goals all the time, you will not go far in footbal and this could be illustrated well with the match Barca played against Liverpool in the most recent UEFA

Don't forget that Messi won gold for his country at the junior level and so presuming that he is not GOAT because he has not won a thing for his country is out of place. Also, Messi has taken his country to world cup finals atleast twice or even more. All the key playmakings and goals where made by him. What more do you want from Messi? Should Messi attack, midfield, defend and keep goals out simultaneously?

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 14, 2019
Timmy301:
List is quite shitty biko

LMAO!

I am too sure that if i swap Messi with CR7 you will call the list excellent. cheesy

17 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Jokerman(m): 7:55pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:

Lol in what universe is player of the century better than as many ballon d'or? Remember that Pelle played in the era where football was less sophisticated unlike Messi.

Also, I think it is more ideal to consider a player's individual performance than collective. No matter how good a player is, if you have very useless defenders who concede goals all the time, you will not go far in footbal and this could be illustrated well with the match Barca had against Liverpool in the most recent UEFA

Don't forget that Messi won gold for his country at the junior level and so presuming that he is not GOAT because he has not won a thing for his country is out of place. Also, Messi has taken his country to world cup finals atleast twice or even more. All the key playmakings and goals where made by him. What more do you want from Messi?

Oga everyone knows Messi is great... Even in Messi best years, when he scored 91 calendars goals in a year (2nd highest ever), Pele was still selected as the best player of the century in 2013

No matter what you type or think

Pele
Maradona

Will always be ahead of any player

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 14, 2019
Jokerman:

Oga everyone knows Messi is great... Even in Messi best years, when he scored 91 calendars goals in a year (2nd highest ever), Pele was still selected as the best player of the century in 2013

No matter what you type or think

Pele
Maradona

Will always be ahead of any player

Lol. Player of the century is given to players who played between 1900 and 2000. Messi started playing much later.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Jokerman(m): 8:03pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:

Lol. Player of the century is given to players who played between 1900 and 2000. Messi started playing much later.

Lol... Stop wasting your time bro... The same Messi was selected amongst football best ever team that same year.... grin... Just accept Pele as the goat grin

I'm going to create a topic that shows why Pele is the football goat.. Others come 2nd even Maradona

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by dayowunmi(m): 8:11pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:

The bolded was to buttress his greatness in that context.

In statistics, consistency is being defined when an outcome occurs severally. Ronaldo, like Messi, has won Bd'or severally making them far better than the rest above and so the arguement shoud be between Messi and CR7.

"Pity votes" is the singular line of defence most Messi-Antagonists use against him. Are you saying Ronaldo has not been a beneficiary or "pity votes"? What was so outstanding about CR7 last season that made him to be nominated alongside VVD and Leo for Ballon d'or and Fifa men's respectively?
Am I saying Ronaldo has not been a beneficiary of pity votes? Lol. Did u even read my comment which you responded to? angry grin angry angry

Lemme help you out. This is what I said

Both Ronaldo and Messi have both won Balon'dors which were highly underservered cos its easier for them to get pity votes due to their fame.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by TBricardo: 8:14pm On Oct 14, 2019
[color=#000099][/color]firmino isn't overrated He's even underratef

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Starz825(m): 8:30pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:
I think I agree with this and feel free to add players into the catergories.

1. GOAT: Lionel Messi

2. Legend: Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo Luis Nazario de Lima, Cristiano Ronaldo, Johan Cruyff, Carles Puyol and Diego Maradona

3. Great: Gianluigi Buffon, Rivaldo, Ryan Giggs, Thierry Henry, Steven Gerrard, Alan Shearer, Frank Lampard, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Roberto Carlos

4. Good: Sergio Aguero, Didier Drogba, Virgil van Dijk, Robin van Persie, David Beckham and Kylian Mbappe

5. Underrated: Sergio Busquets, Wayne Rooney, Arjen Robben and Son Heung-min

6. Overrated: Alexis Sanchez, Antoine Griezmann, Mesut Ozil, Gerard Pique, Pele, Neymar, Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema

Source: https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-footballers-and-legends-ranked-from-goat-to-overrated-20191011.amp.html

Cc: lalasticlala, semid4lyfe, honeric01

My own additions:

Legend: Okocha, Iniesta
Great: Drogba, Robinho
Good: Crespo, Gabriel Jesus
Underrated: Essien, Dybala, Marcelo
Overrated: Kanu Nwankwo, Luka Modric, Iwobi, Tony Kroos, Firmino

Luka modric is overrated....na wa for u oo...go and watch his best undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 8:32pm On Oct 14, 2019
dayowunmi:

Am I saying Ronaldo has not been a beneficiary of pity votes? Lol. Did u even read my comment which you responded to? angry grin angry angry

Lemme help you out. This is what I said

Both Ronaldo and Messi have both won Balon'dors which were highly underservered cos its easier for them to get pity votes due to their fame.

There are two key issues in your initial comment

1. You said it is easier for them to get votes and not that they certainly got votes. There's a difference. The answer to my question asking if Ronaldo got pity votes is simply of a "yes" or "no" . I am not saying you are saying Ronaldo had pity votes. I want to know if you think he had pity votes undecided
2. To further create more ambiguity to your point, you used "underservered" (twice now) which is very confusing as I cannot find a meaning to it.
3. There's a reason why they are famous. They have a track record of excellence and if it buys them favour in the sight of men, it is still their hardwork that is speaking for them.

6 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 14, 2019
Starz825:

Luka modric is overrated....na wa for u oo...go and watch his best undecided

That he won BD'or is credit to the fact that he is overrated. He is trying sha

7 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Timmy301(m): 8:35pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:

LMAO!

I am too sure that if i swap Messi with CR7 you will call the list excellent. cheesy
Not really, I think that's okay
People like modric and so on ain't overrated.....Even Hueng min son is not underrated
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by dayowunmi(m): 9:08pm On Oct 14, 2019
DanXplore:

There are two key issues in your initial comment

1. You said it is easier for them to get votes and not that they certainly got votes. There's a difference. The answer to my question asking if Ronaldo got pity votes is simply of a "yes" or "no" i am not saying you are saying Ronaldo had pity votes. I want to know if you think he had pity votes undecided
2. To further create more ambiguity to your point, you used "underservered" (twice now) which is very confusing as I cannot find a meaning to it.
3. There's a reason why they are famous. They have a track record of excellence and if it buys then favour in the sight of men, it is still their hardwork that is speaking for them.
1.The year Inter won the champions league and Netherlands reached the world Cup final,Sneijder deserved the Balon'dor over Lionel Messi. The year Ronaldo was nominated aside Frank Ribery, Ribery had a better season. Both got pity votes on both occasions. I made a veiled reference to that earlier when I said both had gotten pity votes over the course of their careers. Dunno why you asking if I think Ronaldo had gotten pity votes
2. You can't find a meaning to undeserved? It means they both won awards where there were more deserving contenders. And I used that in response to you or the op statement that Messi won more Fifa best than Ronaldo.
3. Okay. I concur.

I think Messi is more skillful than Ronaldo, but the hunger, dedication and passion of Ronaldo for the game is rare. You cannot logically argue Messi is better. You can have your preference between the two but if all you have to say is Messi has one more Fifa best than him then you are grasping at straws. For a start, they are both still active and there is no reason to bet against Ronaldo getting more Fifa best awards before he retires. Even if he doesn't, a sole fifa best awards gong is inadequate to qualify him as a Goat over Ronaldo except of course you are a barca fan living in your own little delusion of Messi's grandeur.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Wizmani: 9:58pm On Oct 14, 2019
Cool list
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by YorubaKing: 9:58pm On Oct 14, 2019
Rubbish list!

Where's VanBasten, Romario, Bebeto etc... ? angry

Kids of the generation sha...

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Clement202078: 9:59pm On Oct 14, 2019
Nice

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Nicolas Pepe Scores 2 Free-Kicks, Stunned Fans React (Photos) / Wilfred Ndidi Visits Nduka Ugbade At Golden Eaglets Camp In Abuja / Victor Osimhen’s Dismissed Agent, Czajka: ‘I Will Go To The End To Get Justice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.