Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,538 members, 7,837,072 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:23 PM

Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible (41749 Views)

Osimhen & Boniface Beat Ronaldo As World Best Strikers By SPORTbible / China Bans Footballers From Getting Tattoos / Ranking Of Golden Boot Winners: Messi The 1st To Claim This Award For 6 Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by m140(m): 6:03am On Oct 15, 2019
DanXplore:

The bolded was to buttress his greatness in that context.

In statistics, consistency is being defined when an outcome occurs severally. Ronaldo, like Messi, has won Bd'or severally making them far better than the rest above and so the arguement shoud be between Messi and CR7.

"Pity votes" is the singular line of defence most Messi-Antagonists use against him. Are you saying Ronaldo has not been a beneficiary of "pity votes"? What was so outstanding about CR7 last season that made him to be nominated alongside VVD and Leo for Ballon d'or and Fifa men's respectively?
He broke another record in his new team, he won nationals league

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by m140(m): 6:06am On Oct 15, 2019
Jokerman:

Ogbeni...

Pele's player of the century award is bigger than 100 ballondors

Pele a three time World Cup winner

Pele 1260 goals to his name
People like saying rubbish, is there any trophy bigger than WC, those guy only conquered European football not world, when you don win the most prestigious of the trophy you can't be called goat.
God bless you my brother , children watch the gane this days
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by m140(m): 6:07am On Oct 15, 2019
DanXplore:

Lol in what universe is player of the century better than as many ballon d'or? Remember that Pelle played in the era where football was less sophisticated unlike Messi.

Also, I think it is more ideal to consider a player's individual performance than collective. No matter how good a player is, if you have very useless defenders who concede goals all the time, you will not go far in footbal and this could be illustrated well with the match Barca played against Liverpool in the most recent UEFA

Don't forget that Messi won gold for his country at the junior level and so presuming that he is not GOAT because he has not won a thing for his country is out of place. Also, Messi has taken his country to world cup finals atleast twice or even more. All the key playmakings and goals where made by him. What more do you want from Messi? Should Messi attack, midfield, defend and keep goals simultaneously?
Messi can't keep the ball pele kicked,

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by m140(m): 6:08am On Oct 15, 2019
DanXplore:

Lol in what universe is player of the century better than as many ballon d'or? Remember that Pelle played in the era where football was less sophisticated unlike Messi.

Also, I think it is more ideal to consider a player's individual performance than collective. No matter how good a player is, if you have very useless defenders who concede goals all the time, you will not go far in footbal and this could be illustrated well with the match Barca played against Liverpool in the most recent UEFA

Don't forget that Messi won gold for his country at the junior level and so presuming that he is not GOAT because he has not won a thing for his country is out of place. Also, Messi has taken his country to world cup finals atleast twice or even more. All the key playmakings and goals where made by him. What more do you want from Messi? Should Messi attack, midfield, defend and keep goals simultaneously?
Messi won nothing for senior team, nothing

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by m140(m): 6:09am On Oct 15, 2019
Jokerman:

Oga everyone knows Messi is great... Even in Messi best years, when he scored 91 calendars goals in a year (2nd highest ever), Pele was still selected as the best player of the century in 2013

No matter what you type or think

Pele
Maradona

Will always be ahead of any player
Please add R9
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by m140(m): 6:10am On Oct 15, 2019
Jokerman:

Lol... Stop wasting your time bro... The same Messi was selected amongst football best ever team that same year.... grin... Just accept Pele as the goat grin

I'm going to create a topic that shows why Pele is the football goat.. Others come 2nd even Maradona
Am here jare
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by m140(m): 6:14am On Oct 15, 2019
Debaiz:

When they all score 90 goals in a year, they should come and talk.

When they score in 21consecutive games, against every team in the league, they should come and talk.

Until then, Messi is the GOAT

Those are individual performance not about winning trophy.

How many standing ovations did he get ,,,, R9 , R10 got it from rivals always

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by m140(m): 6:15am On Oct 15, 2019
spiritedtete:
Messi Can't be GOAT no World cup no Nations cup...

And why is Pele overated...

This list is been compiled by an overzealous teenager who dislike History!
Just imagine player with no nations not to talk Wc,

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by princeade86(m): 6:19am On Oct 15, 2019
DanXplore:
I think I agree with this and feel free to add players into the catergories.

Source: https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-footballers-and-legends-ranked-from-goat-to-overrated-20191011.amp.html

My own additions:

Legend: Okocha, Iniesta
Great: Drogba, Robinho
Good: Crespo, Gabriel Jesus
Underrated: Essien, Dybala, Marcelo
Overrated: Kanu Nwankwo, Luka Modric, Iwobi, Tony Kroos, Firmino
lol. no even room for almighty Sergio Ramos abi
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Belac290: 6:25am On Oct 15, 2019
Dis 4 players are greater than CR7...Patrick Viera, Pavel Nedved, Del Piero, Zidane nd d GOAT himself

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Belac290: 6:26am On Oct 15, 2019
Dis 5 players are greater than CR7...Patrick Viera, Pavel Nedved, Del Piero, Zidane nd d GOAT himself

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by GEEBITE: 6:47am On Oct 15, 2019
All your claims to football punditry thrown into bin by asserting that Messi has taken Argentina to world cup finals more than twice.Please can you tell us those years or editions.Now you know a tree cant make a forest,why can't Messi the GOAT do everything by himself then .
DanXplore:

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by MrFly(m): 6:50am On Oct 15, 2019
Mateen1000:

And How Old are you Mr Man
You sounding as if you watched pele at his prime time
Pele’s career ended in before 1980
And Note If there are no offside rules in modern football, Messi and Ronaldo would have score more goals, Football rules are getting Complex Every year
boy there are no complexities in football rules nowadays, football has been redefined to favour goals yet ds guys have failed in d art of goalscoring. Pele didnt have a long career compared to this yet he made goalscoring his own

2 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by SolarMight(m): 6:51am On Oct 15, 2019
DanXplore:

I think Robinho was a fantastic but short-lived player.

Pato and Torres stayed in limelight much longer
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by AustineCJ: 6:53am On Oct 15, 2019
How can you tag someone with no national honour as Goat if you ain't sick upstairs
Pele,maradona,Zidane,Cr7,Delima Ronaldo are of more value right now home and abroad.

3 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by GEEBITE: 6:55am On Oct 15, 2019
The first player to score against all teams in La Liga in a single season is Ronaldo.Please use another yardstick .
Debaiz:

When they all score 90 goals in a year, they should come and talk.

When they score in 21consecutive games, against every team in the league, they should come and talk.

Until then, Messi is the GOAT

Those are individual performance not about winning trophy.

2 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by GEEBITE: 7:09am On Oct 15, 2019
There was even no substitution until 1970 world cup.Morais of Portugal kicked Pele out of 1966 to stop 3 straight world cups and we all know what happpend in 1970 with pele running the show.Ask these kids if Messi can survive the Tackle of Claudio Gentile or that butcher of Bilbao who ensured Maradona's stay in Spain did not last more than two years as he was sure he will break Bilbao's stranglehold on the league championship.
Kids cos of internet fronting as football aficionado that didnt know office rule was officially introduced in 1923.Imagine saying Pele's has 500 offside goals,really laughable.
hopefulLandlord:
This is the most stupid nonsensical post I've read today

you think Messi would last a full match in those days when tackling from behind is legal? when something that's regarded to be red card worthy today would be seen as only a free kick at best in those days? when many top players barely earn enough to live a comfortable life to Messi that has personal staff for almost everything asides training, brushing and eating? are you comparing those days when opponents can simply break your leg and get away with it to now that Messi can jump over a Sergio Ramos tackle and still get Ramos sent off?

You're talking a lot of juvenile sheet bro

2 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Angelfrost(m): 7:17am On Oct 15, 2019
DanXplore:

If it is by good passes, Mesut Ozil would be a legend. I think Modric, like Kanu is loved more for his humility and so people will tend to put sentiment into their judgement in their favour.

Boss, that does not make them overrated na... Modric has paid his dues, and he is among the best of his generation.
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by DJInfluence: 7:27am On Oct 15, 2019
WTF? Pele Overrated? someone smoked expired weed.

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Abagworo(m): 7:29am On Oct 15, 2019
Messi has no national team success hence he belongs to dustbin in general football ranking. His greatest belongs only to Barcelona and stops at that. Maradona is greater but Pele is by far the greatest.

4 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by OgbeniDawodu: 7:34am On Oct 15, 2019
DanXplore:
I think I agree with this and feel free to add players into the catergories.

Source: https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-footballers-and-legends-ranked-from-goat-to-overrated-20191011.amp.html

My own additions:

Legend: Okocha, Iniesta
Great: Drogba, Robinho
Good: Crespo, Gabriel Jesus
Underrated: Essien, Dybala, Marcelo
Overrated: Kanu Nwankwo, Luka Modric, Iwobi, Tony Kroos, Firmino
How come Messi is a GOAT not Cristiano Ronaldo

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 15, 2019
Angelfrost:

Boss, that does not make them overrated na... Modric has paid his dues, and he is among the best of his generation.

Yes he has paid his dues. For me, giving him Bdr was an exaggeration of his prowess.

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 7:39am On Oct 15, 2019
OgbeniDawodu:

How come Messi is a GOAT not Cristiano Ronaldo

Because Messi is by far a better player. Lol.
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 7:41am On Oct 15, 2019
SolarMight:

Pato and Torres stayed in limelight much longer

Yes, but their individual abilities were not as great as that of Robinho. They were just good players
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Angelfrost(m): 7:42am On Oct 15, 2019
DanXplore:

Yes he has paid his dues. For me, giving him Bdr was an exaggeration of his prowess.

I knew the beef had a lot to do with that award... grin

History has been made, and firmly stamped... You guys, especially Ronaldo fanboys, should move on already.
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Debaiz: 7:43am On Oct 15, 2019
GEEBITE:
The first player to score against all teams in La Liga in a single season is Ronaldo.Please use another yardstick .

Read again, this time slowly you will see a certain word called “consecutive” then look for a dictionary to get the meaning. You’d be alright las las.
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 7:45am On Oct 15, 2019
GEEBITE:
All your claims to football punditry thrown into bin by asserting that Messi has taken Argentina to world cup finals more than twice.Please can you tell us those years or editions.Now you know a tree cant make a forest,why can't Messi the GOAT do everything by himself then .

That was a mistake on my part. I meant he has taken his country to different finals.

World cup - 2014
Copa America: 2007, 2015, 2016
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 7:46am On Oct 15, 2019
princeade86:
lol. no even room for almighty Sergio Ramos abi

The list inexhaustive.
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Zumarocket(f): 7:48am On Oct 15, 2019
Jokerman:

Ogbeni...

Pele's player of the century award is bigger than 100 ballondors

Pele a three time World Cup winner

Pele 1260 goals to his name

And a champions League winner too??
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Debaiz: 7:49am On Oct 15, 2019
m140:

How many standing ovations did he get ,,,, R9 , R10 got it from rivals always

Lol standing ovation is an achievement?

If that is what you care about, google Betis vs Barca game last season and read up. That was the latest standing ovation.

You people just come with nonsense and think you’re replying a kids who don’t watch ball.
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 7:51am On Oct 15, 2019
Angelfrost:

I knew the beef had a lot to do with that award... grin

History has been made, and firmly stamped... You guys, especially Ronaldo fanboys, should move on already.

I won't lie, that award pained me very well. There was alot of speculation around that time he was given the award (over rating him) because they want someone new.

Even Modric felt the heat of the criticisms that followed after he was given the award. Same sentiment was used to give VVD Bdr simply because he "tried" as a defender when liverpool won UEFAC
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Nobody: 7:52am On Oct 15, 2019
m140:

Messi won nothing for senior team, nothing

Atleast he took them to finals atleast 3 times.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Breaking News: Nff Building Is On Fire (photos) / Lionel Messi Celebrates Christmas With Family In Adorable Photos / Le Guen To Coach Super Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.