Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,302 members, 7,836,313 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible (41727 Views)

Osimhen & Boniface Beat Ronaldo As World Best Strikers By SPORTbible / China Bans Footballers From Getting Tattoos / Ranking Of Golden Boot Winners: Messi The 1st To Claim This Award For 6 Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by 989900: 1:41am On Oct 15, 2019
1. Pele (3 world cups, 100 goals+ per season at a time . . . insane skill-set -- for clubs and country).

2. Maradona (Insane skill-set, single handedly carried an average Napoli and Argentina to multiple titles -- for clubs and country).

3. Zidane (Insane skill-set, Zidane will dictate his midfield and the opposition's like he's the '10' for both teams, he made Ronaldinho and an insanely talented Brazilian team look so ordinary -- for clubs and country).

I find it hard to rate the top players we have today against guys like Maradona, Ronaldo O Fenomeno, Pele, Platini, Zidane, Van Basten, George Weah, etc.

The older ones played against sick defenders . . . straight reds were almost non-existent, tackle from behind was normal, shoving, elbows, etc, . . . I don't see how players like Messi, Suarez, C.Ron, and other Prima Donnas would have coped with that successfully.

P.S. The Balon d'Or was only awarded to European players until 1995 when non-European players could participate, and George Weah of Liberia did.

Players like R9 and Zidane won the FIFA world's best player award 3 times each despite injuries.

If you put a player like Jay Jay Okocha in any of the world cup winning teams, he'd easily be the best player in the world all day, everyday -- dude's got insane dribbling skills, passes, techniques, etc., he had players like Ronaldinho drooling to learn.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by golddeejay(m): 2:01am On Oct 15, 2019
ElasticStone:
Gbam!

My own additions

Legends: Jay Jay Okocha
Great: E. Hazard, Kaka
Good: Kanu, Samuel Eto o, luis Suarez
Underrated: Casemiro, Aubameyang, Nglo Kante, Cavani, La Cazette
Overrated: Luka Modric, Coutinho, Mandzukic

Modified#
FTC: I dedicate this page to those who think Messi is the goat. Una sabi beta tin
How is Hazard is great...while Eto is only good. Na your own sha.
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by joepepsy(m): 2:17am On Oct 15, 2019
This your list is a comedy. .go join basket mouth a beg.
MrNipplesLover:
GOAT: Aaron Ramsey.

Legends: Mutiu Adepoju [headmaster], John Utaka, Samuel Eto'o

Great: Nemanja Matic, Yaya Sanago, Efe Ambrose, Mikel Obi

Good: Alvaro Morata, Victor Moses, Ahmed Musa, Sadio Mane

Underrated: Jnr. Neymar, Samuel Chukwueze, Juan Mata

Overrated: Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Eden Hazard,

angry

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by perryy(m): 2:46am On Oct 15, 2019
DanXplore:

Lol in what universe is player of the century better than as many ballon d'or? Remember that Pelle played in the era where football was less sophisticated unlike Messi.

Also, I think it is more ideal to consider a player's individual performance than collective. No matter how good a player is, if you have very useless defenders who concede goals all the time, you will not go far in footbal and this could be illustrated well with the match Barca played against Liverpool in the most recent UEFA

Don't forget that Messi won gold for his country at the junior level and so presuming that he is not GOAT because he has not won a thing for his country is out of place. Also, Messi has taken his country to world cup finals atleast twice or even more. All the key playmakings and goals where made by him. What more do you want from Messi? Should Messi attack, midfield, defend and keep goals simultaneously?

A player without a world cup trophy can never be greatest of all time.

4 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Beverlyjean(f): 3:07am On Oct 15, 2019
DanXplore:

Winning trophies are based on collective input and teamwork else we could say that Giroud or Mbape is better than Messi because France have won world cup.The premise on which Messi was awarded GOAT is on individual performance only. Winning golden boot, forward of the year and fifa men's award shows class.

Mumu quote... Because Messi has been failing to win trophies, u Messi fans have changed goal post... It's now individual play ... But when modric won it the yr b4 ahead of Ronaldo... U dint remember that Croatia getting to the final of the WC was team effort... Ronaldo floors messi, if fake FIFA want, they should keep on dashing Messi fake awards... Posterity will judge

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Jokerman(m): 3:16am On Oct 15, 2019
Asour:

The Ronaldos are Greats. Supremely talented.
However, This "Who is better" arguement is an unnecessary subjective game.

On a lighter note since you asked, it's interesting to note that Messi is highly likely the Only player of this generation to have won at least an individual title (MVP) from every Major Competition he has ever participated in — Since he was16,17 years old.

I am not a fan of Subjective titles/awards though, but it's a really interesting angle to the "little man's" Career.

Are you out of you godamn minds?? Go check up Pele stats and see that even Messi or Ronaldo do not come close
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Jokerman(m): 3:18am On Oct 15, 2019
GraciaKim:

Player of the century?? Hope 20th and 21st century isn't included in this century you are talking about
The 1260 goals is sham, he produced the stat himself. FIFA only record a much over 700 goals for him. Before you banter, Google is your friend

Sham or not... He has 1260 goals to his name... Please look up Pele stats and see that Messi or Ronaldp do not come close
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Jokerman(m): 3:20am On Oct 15, 2019
Sirwallace:

Cancel 500 offside goals which are not part of the rule then and tell me how great he is.

Maradona does not even come close.

So messi is the real GOAT.

Lol... A Maradona that is a greater legend than Messi in South America as a whole ??

3 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Jokerman(m): 3:21am On Oct 15, 2019
Sirwallace:

All these guys are not as consistent spanning 10+ years and the Goat is still going strong.

Zidane won how many champions league? After his world cup in 1998.
Delima became a fat boy after winning the world best 3 times and remain irrelevant. The goat is stilll going strong.

Maradona is a drug dealer who won the world cup with drug and had a fantastic season with napoli and that was just it.

Cr7 is the greatest competition to the goat and that is obvious.
The goat has been very consistently consistent and still going stronger everyday.

Oga please check out Pele https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelé
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Jokerman(m): 3:25am On Oct 15, 2019
Soso990240:
Individual brilliance. Messi has it more than all of them. How many of them has scored up to 50 goals in a season? Messi that is not a No9 striker did it.

Oga Pele played in a World Cup and registered 10 assists... The highest ever on the biggest stage and in the biggest footballing competition

Pele scored the highest amount of goals in a calendar year (127)

Pele was more individually brilliant than Messi or Ronaldo

3 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Jokerman(m): 3:28am On Oct 15, 2019
Mateen1000:

Good Question
Messi is the only player to win a Play maker Award and Golden Boot at the same time
Don’t bother to ask about his international trophy because they are based on team work not individual ability.

Why not check out Pele individual records and see??
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Soso990240(m): 3:34am On Oct 15, 2019
Jokerman:

Oga Pele played in a World Cup and registered 10 assists... The highest ever on the biggest stage and in the biggest footballing competition

Pele scored the highest amount of goals in a calendar year (127)

Pele was more individually brilliant than Messi or Ronaldo
And without your biased mindset and jealousy coming to play, then and now, has football became tougher or was it more difficult then? and if we should dig up all their individual statistics, will u proudly say Pele is better? abeg, I don't argue with sentiments. Football is a game, and those that master how to play d game perfectly deserve some accolade. Messi does it better. cased closed. And stop deceiving people.. Pele never scored 127 goals in a football season. Messi holds d record for most goals scored in a season in the major leagues (50). Deal with it. Messi has the most goals in a calendar year (91goals) in 2012, beating Gerd Muller's 85 goals in 1972. #facts

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by MrFly(m): 3:43am On Oct 15, 2019
u nid to learn fast, children of nowadays seeking cheap likes. Is Pele ur mate? Did anybody frm ur generation play when there was no yellow cards issued to defenders who were ready to injure Pele at will? Show me a player who has won 3 world cup finals, show me a player who has scored more than a thousand goals, show me a player who has achieved wat Pele had. Do u think wat they are playing today is football? Ask Puskas, Muller, Lineker, Platini, Baresi, Zoff what it means to be a footballer. PELE and DIEGO have no rivals

2 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Jokerman(m): 3:48am On Oct 15, 2019
Soso990240:
And without your biased mindset and jealousy coming to play, then and now, has football became tougher or was it more difficult then? and if we should dig up all their individual statistics, will u proudly say Pele is better? abeg, I don't argue with sentiments. Football is a game, and those that master how to play d game perfectly deserve some accolade. Messi does it better. cased closed. And stop deceiving people.. Pele never scored 127 goals in a football season. Messi holds d record for most goals scored in a season in the major leagues (50). Deal with it.

Oga I said goals scored in a year .... Whether you like it or not... It will always be

Pele
Maradona

Then others follow
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Mateen1000: 3:50am On Oct 15, 2019
Jokerman:

Why not check out Pele individual records and see??
Google is your friend
Messi have the Best Assist ratio in football history

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Mateen1000: 3:59am On Oct 15, 2019
MrFly:
u nid to learn fast, children of nowadays seeking cheap likes. Is Pele ur mate? Did anybody frm ur generation play when there was no yellow cards issued to defenders who were ready to injure Pele at will? Show me a player who has won 3 world cup finals, show me a player who has scored more than a thousand goals, show me a player who has achieved wat Pele had. Do u think wat they are playing today is football? Ask Puskas, Muller, Lineker, Platini, Baresi, Zoff what it means to be a footballer. PELE and DIEGO have no rivals
And How Old are you Mr Man
You sounding as if you watched pele at his prime time
Pele’s career ended in before 1980
And Note If there are no offside rules in modern football, Messi and Ronaldo would have score more goals, Football rules are getting Complex Every year

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Soso990240(m): 4:00am On Oct 15, 2019
Jokerman:

Oga I said goals scored in a year .... Whether you like it or not... It will always be

Pele
Maradona

Then others follow
Gerd Muller had most goals (85 goals) in 1972. Messi surpassed d record in 2012 (91 goals). Stop deceiving people with lies just to argue.

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by SOFTENGR: 4:06am On Oct 15, 2019
1. GOAT: Cristiano Ronaldo (though he knows Messi is the real GOAT)

2. Legend: Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo Luis Nazario de Lima, Lionel Messi, Johan Cruyff, Carles Puyol and Diego Maradona

3. Great: Gianluigi Buffon, Rivaldo, Ryan Giggs, Thierry Henry, Steven Gerrard, Alan Shearer, Frank Lampard, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Roberto Carlos

4. Good: Sergio Aguero, Didier Drogba, Virgil van Dijk, Robin van Persie, David Beckham and Kylian Mbappe

5. Underrated: Sergio Busquets, Wayne Rooney, Arjen Robben and Son Heung-min

6. Overrated: Alexis Sanchez, Antoine Griezmann, Mesut Ozil, Gerard Pique, Pele, Neymar, Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema

Una think sey na only una sabi shake table?
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by Debaiz: 4:23am On Oct 15, 2019
Jokerman:

Pele scored 127

Really? Tell me why gerd muller was the official record holder before Messi broke the record?

Carry your beer parlour gust comot here

You’re really a jokerman

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by B2joa(m): 4:48am On Oct 15, 2019
DanXplore:
I think I agree with this and feel free to add players into the catergories.

Source: https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-footballers-and-legends-ranked-from-goat-to-overrated-20191011.amp.html

My own additions:

Legend: Okocha, Iniesta
Great: Drogba, Robinho
Good: Crespo, Gabriel Jesus
Underrated: Essien, Dybala, Marcelo
Overrated: Kanu Nwankwo, Luka Modric, Iwobi, Tony Kroos, Firmino

well on what basese is messi the all time great?drogba,sanchez,even neryma all won one or two majoy trophies for their country even with messi involve in the copa america nations finals 3times... There is no crime in loving a player but if i am asked to pick the greatest of all time i will say pedro of chelsea based on trophies won he has all the trophies major ones, world cup,european nations league,laliga,premier league,uefa and champions league. Please use sense na
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by harlems02: 4:54am On Oct 15, 2019
Inasmuch i agree Messi is the GOAT bur i can't find the name Pele of Brazil. How would you rate a man who won the World Cup thrice? He is still my GOAT, Messi shld be placed after him.
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by cooltola(m): 4:55am On Oct 15, 2019
GOAT : Maradona, Pele, Brazil Ronaldo
Great: Messi and Ronaldo

When Messi win a Copa America for Argentina then I will consider him a goat, when Ronaldo win the World cup then I will consider him a goat. Till then Messi or Ronaldo are the greatest player in my generation but not in all time.
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by holuphisayor(m): 5:07am On Oct 15, 2019
Continue with your hatred till Portugal win the world cup.

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by SirKomA(m): 5:31am On Oct 15, 2019
dayowunmi:

1.The year Inter won the champions league and Netherlands reached the world Cup final,Sneijder deserved the Balon'dor over Lionel Messi. The year Ronaldo was nominated aside Frank Ribery, Ribery had a better season. Both got pity votes on both occasions. I made a veiled reference to that earlier when I said both had gotten pity votes over the course of their careers. Dunno why you asking if I think Ronaldo had gotten pity votes
2. You can't find a meaning to undeserved? It means they both won awards where there were more deserving contenders. And I used that in response to you or the op statement that Messi won more Fifa best than Ronaldo.
3. Okay. I concur.

I think Messi is more skillful than Ronaldo, but the hunger, dedication and passion of Ronaldo for the game is rare. You cannot logically argue Messi is better. You can have your preference between the two but if all you have to say is Messi has one more Fifa best than him then you are grasping at straws. For a start, they are both still active and there is no reason to bet against Ronaldo getting more Fifa best awards before he retires. Even if he doesn't, a sole fifa best awards gong is inadequate to qualify him as a Goat over Ronaldo except of course you are a barca fan living in your own little delusion of Messi's grandeur.

When it comes to soccer, Messi plays better than any footballer both Dead and Alive. Forget about Pele, maradona and the likes, we all watch football.

Even if I'm a cr7 fan, who's now cr700, I can't hide the truthful truth.

Messi is unarguably a soccer demigod!

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by OtemAtum: 5:34am On Oct 15, 2019
dayowunmi:

Don't be cynical. Answer his question. What major title or achievement has Messi won that Ronaldo hasn't? Facts only. And pls don't come and bang about goals scored. What has Messi won over Ronaldo or even Maradona or Pele?

Olympic Gold Medal

2 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by chinwezdasilva: 5:37am On Oct 15, 2019
ElasticStone:
Gbam!

My own additions

Legends: Jay Jay Okocha
Great: E. Hazard, Kaka
Good: Kanu, Samuel Eto o, luis Suarez
Underrated: Casemiro, Aubameyang, Nglo Kante, Cavani, La Cazette
Overrated: Luka Modric, Coutinho, Mandzukic

Modified#
FTC: I dedicate this page to those who think Messi is the goat. Una sabi beta tin
Modric overrated I think you watch back of the TV
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by OtemAtum: 5:40am On Oct 15, 2019
GOAT: Maradona, Pele, Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, C.Ronaldo
Great: Figo, Carlos, Henry, Eto'o, Marcelo, Okocha, Kanu, Ramos
Good: Yekini, Drogba, Salah, Mane, Hazard, Kane, Vardy
Underrated: Moura, Son, Okocha, De Gea
Overrated: Modric, Van Dijk
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by chrisxxx(m): 5:53am On Oct 15, 2019
dayowunmi:

Don't be cynical. Answer his question. What major title or achievement has Messi won that Ronaldo hasn't? Facts only. And pls don't come and bang about goals scored. What has Messi won over Ronaldo or even Maradona or Pele?
That is a prove of Messi greatness. He is the yardstick you use in measuring Ronaldo's performance.

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by m140(m): 5:56am On Oct 15, 2019
ElasticStone:

Ronaldo fanboy spotted. grin
M10 and cr7 can never be Goat, they never won the games biggest and most respected trophy, with all their records they never broke a single record in the most prestigious tournament in the game .... WC. The can never be goat, they are only European football goats.
Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by m140(m): 5:58am On Oct 15, 2019
DanXplore:

shocked
Real footballers know that Messi is the goat. As Zlatan Ibrahimovic would say, " Ronaldo is a trained product".

@bolded. To start with, they have not won Ballon d'or and Fifa men's player award as much as Messi, neither has their goals been nominated for puskas as much as Messi.
With all his ballon d'or no copa, no wc ... he won nothing for national team and you calles him goat, children watching the beatiful game these days, social media over hyping players too.

3 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by m140(m): 6:01am On Oct 15, 2019
dayowunmi:

Just hear yourself talk bro. Puskas nomination is an achievement? Nominated but never won for that matter! Fifa best player is an award issued based on votes. Votes can be political. Both Ronaldo and Messi have both won Balon'dors which were highly underservered cos its easier for them to get pity votes due to their fame.
I love this comment, "political " i can remember 2010 very well the most undeserving of the award, that year was just too obvious.
No player i watch is better than R9 he destroyed football.

3 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Footballers: From Goat To Overrated By Sportbible by m140(m): 6:02am On Oct 15, 2019
Icon79:
Mine:

1. GOAT: Lionel "Leo" Messi - one and only!

2. Legends: Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo de Lima, Johan Cruyff, Carles Puyol, George Weah Opong, and Diego Maradona

3. Great: Gianluigi Buffon, Rivaldo, Franco Baresi, Roger Miller, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Abedi Pele, Neymar Jr, Austin Jay Jay Okocha, Samuel Eto'o, and Roberto Carlos

4. Good: Sergio Aguero, Didier Drogba, Virgil van Dijk, Robin van Persie, Kanu Nwankwo, Theophile Abega, and Kylian Mbappe

5. Underrated: Ngolo Kante, Yaya Toure, Oman Biyik, Sunday Oliseh, and Wilfred Ndidi

6. Overrated: Antoine Griezmann, Mesut Ozil, Gareth Bale, Michele Platini, Cesc Fabregas, Sergio Busquets, Karim Benzema, and Cristiano Ronaldo
Lolzzzz, if you rate messi over R9 , you still very young

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Anthony Joshua Showed Off His Incredible Physique In New Photo / Obiano Commissions UltraModern Awka City Stadium, Awka (Pictures). / Referee Beaten Up In Kano After Football Match (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.