Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,258 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ (9561 Views)

Obi: Africa Must Change Her Leadership Tradition Style For The Youths' Sake / Osinbajo: Africa Must Collaborate Globally To Gain From International Taxation / Aisha Buhari: 'There Is No Pillow In Aso Rock, I Can’t Be Stopped From Talking' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by tert78: 10:37pm On Oct 23, 2019
NIGERIANS READ O! READ!

Rwanda had over 50% access to electricity as at the time I left there in 2017 with a target to have 100% access by 2024. If you know Kagame's execution capacity then you know that target date must be achieved.

I was there when they privatised power sector assets and commenced a massive off grid expansion.

I did not have a generator in my house for the 3 years plus that I lived there. Even the generator in my office, (a bank within a large retail centre comprising a major supermarket and line shops etc) was hardly ever put on.

Now, using population difference to put down Rwanda's achievement is ironic. 60-70% of Rwanda's budget is funded by Taxes. If Nigeria could fund 60-70% of its budget through taxes from 200 million people our government will not complain of lack of revenue.

Every business in Rwanda has a Rwanda Revenue Authority electronic billing machine which makes tracking tax compliance easy, thus it is a crime to transact outside this machine.

The 15th and 16th of every month is tax payment day and banking halls spill over with people rushing to meet the deadline. None payment attracts severe penalties.

I hosted the management of Corona Secondary School Agbara when they came to understudy two schools in Rwanda, one public and the other private (the private one is owned by a friend). Corona was chasing a particular international certification of which just a few schools in Africa had... take that in for a moment. Corona, one of the best and elitist schools in Nigeria came to understudy public schools in Rwanda!

I invited Lagos Business School's OMP 22 Class of 2016 to Rwanda to understudy their public institutions. Almost all of them shed tears when they saw the difference. Since then, Rwanda has become part of their study tour.

Rwanda has about 96% universal health coverage and pushing to 100%. To put this in perspective, my driver in Rwanda had health insurance. Universal health coverage in Nigeria is still at 1% of our population.

Government offices mandatorily use 4G and are already preparing mandatorily for 5G, to the extent that video conference meetings is common for even local government councils.
By the way, Kigali is one of the cleanest cities in the world, and by far the cleanest city in Africa. The cleanliness was one of the first things my young daughter noted on her first visit.

Rwandese police use Radar guns to check over speeding. If you are caught breaking the speed limit, you are issued a ticket, your license is confiscated, and you have a limited window to pay the defined fine and collect your licence back at a traffic police office. No stories.

You can register a business and print your certificate of registration online in less than 3 hours. Registration and transfer of land title does not exceed 48 hours.

Other than Mauritius which is a tax haven, Rwanda has consistently led Africa in ease of doing business.

The world knows the difference sef. When my entry level Rwandese staff apply for a US tourist visa, they are given a 10-year multiple entry visa, yet me that have been traveling since 19kpiridim, I never get beyond 2 years multiple entry.

I can go on and on....

Jekwu Ozoemene

50 Likes 21 Shares

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by knowledgeable: 11:06pm On Oct 23, 2019
tert78:
NIGERIANS READ O! READ!

Rwanda had over 50% access to electricity as at the time I left there in 2017 with a target to have 100% access by 2024. If you know Kagame's execution capacity then you know that target date must be achieved.

I was there when they privatised power sector assets and commenced a massive off grid expansion.

I did not have a generator in my house for the 3 years plus that I lived there. Even the generator in my office, (a bank within a large retail centre comprising a major supermarket and line shops etc) was hardly ever put on.

Now, using population difference to put down Rwanda's achievement is ironic. 60-70% of Rwanda's budget is funded by Taxes. If Nigeria could fund 60-70% of its budget through taxes from 200 million people our government will not complain of lack of revenue.

Every business in Rwanda has a Rwanda Revenue Authority electronic billing machine which makes tracking tax compliance easy, thus it is a crime to transact outside this machine.

The 15th and 16th of every month is tax payment day and banking halls spill over with people rushing to meet the deadline. None payment attracts severe penalties.

I hosted the management of Corona Secondary School Agbara when they came to understudy two schools in Rwanda, one public and the other private (the private one is owned by a friend). Corona was chasing a particular international certification of which just a few schools in Africa had... take that in for a moment. Corona, one of the best and elitist schools in Nigeria came to understudy public schools in Rwanda!

I invited Lagos Business School's OMP 22 Class of 2016 to Rwanda to understudy their public institutions. Almost all of them shed tears when they saw the difference. Since then, Rwanda has become part of their study tour.

Rwanda has about 96% universal health coverage and pushing to 100%. To put this in perspective, my driver in Rwanda had health insurance. Universal health coverage in Nigeria is still at 1% of our population.

Government offices mandatorily use 4G and are already preparing mandatorily for 5G, to the extent that video conference meetings is common for even local government councils.
By the way, Kigali is one of the cleanest cities in the world, and by far the cleanest city in Africa. The cleanliness was one of the first things my young daughter noted on her first visit.

Rwandese police use Radar guns to check over speeding. If you are caught breaking the speed limit, you are issued a ticket, your license is confiscated, and you have a limited window to pay the defined fine and collect your licence back at a traffic police office. No stories.

You can register a business and print your certificate of registration online in less than 3 hours. Registration and transfer of land title does not exceed 48 hours.

Other than Mauritius which is a tax haven, Rwanda has consistently led Africa in ease of doing business.

The world knows the difference sef. When my entry level Rwandese staff apply for a US tourist visa, they are given a 10-year multiple entry visa, yet me that have been traveling since 19kpiridim, I never get beyond 2 years multiple entry.

I can go on and on....

Jekwu Ozoemene

What percentage of the Nigeria GDP can you raise taxing 'the extreme poverty capital of the world's population without pushing them further down into the abyss?. Plus, taxation is not sharia compliance (sukus ). In order wards, you will never have flat taxation in Nigeria, unless a targetted group/groups will be paying the taxes while the collected revenue will be deploy to the region forbidden under their religion to pay taxes.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by TheTourist: 11:10pm On Oct 23, 2019
COULDN'T BE BETTER SAID. 100%

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by IGBOSON1: 11:15pm On Oct 23, 2019
Makes for a depressing read! undecided

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:16pm On Oct 23, 2019
Op u are not serious, someone is doing a beautiful job, here u are saying that he should be stopped.

As for 9ja, the led and leaders are all swimming in heated mess. Their dark psyche can hardly come up with beautiful healthy reforms like these ones. People do not realise the extent the ordinary people have been polluted with a corrupted obscure mentality. They are now part of the problem not just the leaders.

If you want to get anything worth while done you will have to supervise, closely monitor these citizens on 24hours basis every second of the year. Otherwise they will de-execute the project, abandon and embezzle the whole thing.

Now when u go to the market to buy something you have to be extravigilant, keenly observant.
Otherwise these people can even sell Poisson to you.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by GMbuharii: 11:18pm On Oct 23, 2019
Well there are no sophisticated coneheaded structures to vote in demented senile medieval jihadists as president in Rwanda

lzaa immhotep

43 Likes 7 Shares

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by Righteousness89(m): 11:23pm On Oct 23, 2019
Nigeria is in involved in garri, salt and Maggi Democracy....

A Nation Highly Blessed in Human and Natural Resources, but cursed with Evil, Tribal, and Embezzlers Persons as Leaders...

The Truth is that The Countries in Nigeria should be Given their independence... Let everyone Develop themselves...

We seem to be Decieving ourselves ...

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by tert78: 11:41pm On Oct 23, 2019
VeeVeeMyLuv:
Op u are not serious, someone is doing a beautiful job, here u are saying that he should be stopped.

As for 9ja, the led and leaders are all swimming in heated mess. Their dark psyche can hardly come up with beautiful healthy reforms like these ones. People do not realise the extent the ordinary people have been polluted with a corrupted obscure mentality. They are now part of the problem not just the leaders.

If you want to get anything worth while done you will have to supervise, closely monitor these citizens on 24hours basis every second of the year. Otherwise they will de-execute the project, abandon and embezzle the whole thing.

Now when u go to the market to buy something you have to be extravigilant, keenly observant.
Otherwise these people can even sell Poisson to you.

If you read and understand the whole write up and headline well, you would know that the headline was intentional. Read oga and assimilate the information passed so you can know Rwanda as a country is making giant strides whereas we as a nation are receding in term of growth and development

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by tert78: 11:42pm On Oct 23, 2019
IGBOSON1:
Makes for a depressing read! undecided

In point. Have read the article more than 10 times to fully understand the enormity of what we missing as a nation.

It's depressing been a Nigerian I swear

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by sweetonugbu: 11:49pm On Oct 23, 2019
Naija leadership is a disgrace to humanity

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by Sunofgod(m): 11:50pm On Oct 23, 2019
Stop comparing Rwanda.....with an uncivilised country!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:57pm On Oct 23, 2019
tert78:

If you read and understand the whole write up and headline well, you would know that the headline was intentional. Read oga and assimilate the information passed so you can know Rwanda as a country is making giant strides whereas we as a nation are receding in term of growth and development
Of course I did go through your write-up, it was really nicely written. I acknowledge that perhaps you made the title that way to draw attention.

When I saw the title the first instance, I perceived a great deal of arrogance which annoyed me. The contents however brought more pain and regret.

When will these people start treating the citizens right?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by Yankee101: 12:10am On Oct 24, 2019
It's heart breaking for Nigeria

For those who say it's a small country, which city in Nigeria is this efficient? None.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by babasolution: 12:45am On Oct 24, 2019
good for them,they should keep it up.but pls never compare yourself with others,this idea of always comparing nigeria with other countries is sickening,it breeds jealousy and envy especially among black countries,let them do their thing and we do our thing,if they are successful we should praise them no need to start comparing ourselves with them and constantly cursing Nigeria.No country is perfect even once perfect looking countries are experiencing pains now,eg chile

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by chiedozie198100: 12:49am On Oct 24, 2019
is it the same Rwanda that fought a very bloody civil war in the mid-90s?

some fools voted in a hate-filled demented bigot, n on top of that r angling to bring in a known druglord crook n smelling mouth overlord in 2023.

well, na dem sabi.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by omerukokwuru(m): 1:16am On Oct 24, 2019
it's good to know that there some (black) African countries capable of such feats, I believe if Rwanda had the resources of United Arab Emirates it would compete with it in terms of development, but unfortunately Nigeria is not interested in making any form of advancement, we are happy the way we are and believe so much in prayers over work, the same Rwanda is tinkering with taxing religious bodies unlike here

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by leofab(f): 4:09am On Oct 24, 2019
Over hyping of a tiny struggling nation

5 Likes

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by Nobody: 4:27am On Oct 24, 2019
The rate Rwanda is moving forward especially with their new President, it may get to a point where Oyibo will start referring to it as Africa just like they do now with SA.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by youngeagle(m): 4:38am On Oct 24, 2019
With all these modern approach recorded... Some people in Nigeria are still campaigning for Tinubu presidency, who do this thing to us

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by allcomage: 4:38am On Oct 24, 2019
We have completely lost it as a country. Take it or leave it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by Nobody: 4:54am On Oct 24, 2019
Rwanda only began to succeed when they finally allowed the gifted Tutsi tribe (black Jews, related to the Igbos...see link) to assume power after years of discrimination. Very much like the Igbos, they Hutu and other minority tribes ganged up and massacred over 1 million Tutsi; out of hate they were successful and fear of domination. Same shit they have done and continue to do to Igbos in Nigeria! Now the Hutu and other tribes are enjoying the genious of Tutsi in shaping Rwanda to what it's today.

Igbos and Tutsi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0moF-c-8nHg&t=497s

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by Efewestern: 5:39am On Oct 24, 2019
leofab:

Don't spoil the fun sister, with the way the media is hyping this country, only lord knows if what they say about them is true, but one thing is certain, they are good at what they do at the media.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by Astark: 5:48am On Oct 24, 2019
Efewestern:

Don't spoil the fun sister, with the way the media is hyping this country, only lord knows if what they say about them is true, but one thing is certain, they are good at what they do at the media.

lol these Nigerians that never left their shithole always making mouth.

The following countries are better than Nigeria.
South Africa
Egypt
Tunisia
Algeria
Libya
Rwanda
Botswana
Kenya
Ghana
Seychelles

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by voltron14: 6:23am On Oct 24, 2019
Preaching to the wrong crowd.

Even if the old cannot do it, what do you make of the youth of today?

Go to the Naira Marley or Mompha thread and tell me the youth have interest in any of this.

I'm sure some are watching re-runs of BBNAIJA.
Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by Efewestern: 7:06am On Oct 24, 2019
Astark:
lol these Nigerians that never left their shithole always making mouth.

The following countries are better than Nigeria.
South Africa
Egypt
Tunisia
Algeria
Libya
Rwanda
Botswana
Kenya
Ghana
Seychelles

Their capital Kigali is beautiful and neat no doubt, but Rwanda is still no where close to us In terms of GDP (per capital and nominal) and HDI. Even in east Africa they are not among the top 3.

Rwanda is highly overrated and overhyped by some of you, I understand your dislike for the country, believe me, I'm also mad at our stupid leaders, but common, Rwanda?

What you see online is just a mirage.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by Caseless: 7:08am On Oct 24, 2019
leofab:
shut up!

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by princemillla(m): 7:10am On Oct 24, 2019
Someone Wil just wake up and start typing for social media sake.

Infact all the country is beter than Nigeria is that's the hype.

Our politicians should be ashamed I swear, with all the billions incurred as salary and incentives yet little or nothing had been achieved as a nation.

Soon, we Wil be compare to Sudan and Libya, cuuz other African countries are moving forward.
Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by ruggedtimi(m): 7:12am On Oct 24, 2019
In terms of development nigeria is far from rwanda, Ghana our neigbours are doing better. You can hardly see a bad road in ghana, almost 24hrs power supply, one of the best security system in west africa, Education is way better than nigeria's education. I dont know how we nigerians can sleep in a house without light for almost a year and still remain mute.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by Astark: 7:37am On Oct 24, 2019
Efewestern:

Their capital Kigali is beautiful and neat no doubt, but Rwanda is still no where close to us In terms of GDP (per capital and nominal) and HDI. Even in east Africa they are not among the top 3.

Rwanda is highly overrated and overhyped by some of you, I understand your dislike for the country, believe me, I'm also mad at our stupid leaders, but common, Rwanda?

What you see online is just a mirage.
GDP, nominal GDP? We have high GDP because we have oil and huge population to access the common market.

This is how to know which country is better

1)roads
2)education
3)power
4)standard of living
5)health
6)security
7)transportation

Rwanda and other countries I mentioned beat us in all these developmental index. Nigeria is really backward even with all these oil wealth and huge resources and population

9 Likes

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by Efewestern: 7:51am On Oct 24, 2019
Astark:
GDP, nominal GDP? We have high GDP because we have oil and huge population to access the common market.

This is how to know which country is better

1)roads
2)education
3) power
4) standard of living
5)health
6)security
7)transportation

Rwanda and other countries I mentioned beat us in all these developmental index. Nigeria is really backward even with all these oil wealth and huge resources and population

Taking about developmental index, Nigeria is ranked higher than Rwanda, Rwandans don't have better standard of living than Nigerians, I don't know who is deceiving you, but life in Rwanda doesn't start and end in Kigali.

They are facing epileptic power, about 50% of Rwandas haven't seen power for some time.

Transportation? How are they better than Nigeria, are you mistaking Rwanda for Ethiopia?

Education is very debatable.

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by respect80(m): 8:00am On Oct 24, 2019
Well said, but have u thought of what will happen to the money even if Nigeria decides to fund a good percentage of her budget through taxes?

Have you asked what the attitude of certain regions and religion in the country would be towards the issue of tax?

We know the masses constitutes a part of our problems but you would agree with me that if the leaders were truly ready to serve, the masses would have no choice but to follow the proper status-quo which the leaders must have laid down but with the level of rapaciousness engraved in the DNA of those at the helm of affairs, I doubt there would be any significant change even with proper taxation in the absence of a significant change in the mindset of our leaders.

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why Rwanda Should Be Stopped. They Insulting Giants Of Africa. MUST READ by solmusdesigns: 8:02am On Oct 24, 2019
Our Tax to GDP ratio is quite poor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Again, Lai Mohammed Accuses Media Of Under-Reporting Military Successes / Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? / House Of Reps Order FCT Chief Judge To Halt Recruitment Of Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.