Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,471 members, 7,836,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago (61229 Views)

Sir Shina Peters Performing At Bianca & Ojukwu's Wedding (Throwback Photo) / Tiwa Savage Kneels Down To Greet Sir Shina Peters (Photos) / Sir Shina Peters Celebrates His 60th Birthday With Lovely Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by 1Sharon(f): 5:53pm On Oct 24, 2019
TheBeat:

Christianity has taken over most of our culture. It has nothing to do with the name Ojukwu. All the ancient names are gradually dying. Parents do not name their kids names like Okeke, okorie any longer. Again Ojukwu was his last name or simply his surname. His first name is Chukwuemeka. People are trying to balance culture and Christianity. That's why names with Chi or Chukwu is mostly used these days instead of the old tribal names. Uche is actually Uchechi or Uchechukwu.
Moreover, this is happening all over Nigeria and the world in general. I have never seen a Yoruba man having Awolowo as his first name. Can you explain why?
I have a Chinese friend called Frank and an Indian called John. English and Christianity are doing wonders.

Pls what are old igbo tribal names?
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by OlawaleBammie: 6:02pm On Oct 24, 2019
sonnie10:
Is it only me or it’s just like that. Why is that when I think 30 years ago I think of the 70s instead of 1990.

Ahhhhh brother see no be u alone, we re in dsame league i swear.

Anyway, goan marry tongue
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 24, 2019
GISTBL0G:
Sir Shina Peters performed at the wedding of BIANCA and Chief Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu exactly 30 years ago, in 1989, Sir Shina Peters unleashed a music phenomenon on Nigeria.

Gist from Gistmore
http://gistmore.com/sir-shina-peters-performing-at-ojukwus-wedding-30-years-ago

Ikemba looked remarkably well-preserved for a man in his mid-fifties.
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by majamajic(m): 6:17pm On Oct 24, 2019
Tembebe:
I just clicked on the link only to find that you made me go on a wild goose chase.It's not Sir Shina that granted the interview but the man down there.Sir sina's name wasn't even mentioned, kai!!!!

sorry I was a bit busy I sent u a different link , check below now

see here read carefully , see again where shina said his mum died cos her 2 children came from different dads

I don't know u keep arguing , shina normally come Onitsha his dad's house when I was Small , shina knows this , music got to shina through his dad , just like to Clarence through Shina ,

every Igbo person can sing shina music from a -z
both the Yoruba verses

shina Peters is more popular in the east than sunny ade, Ebenezer obey and davido combined , u never try to know the reason why ?

don't u see his life style ? look his face and osadebe , the go look that Ogun dad, then look Clarence .

http://www.citypeopleonline.com/mothers-womb-3-years-•sir-shina-peters-tells-city-people/
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 24, 2019
TooMuchStuff:
Point of correction it's 1994........ Not 1989.

It's 25 yrs ago during Abacha the Tyrant regime.

Don't forget Umaru Dikko 'collect' a resetting Slap from Ojukwu that same month.

Thank you for the correction. I was wondering though, Shina Peters' Ace didn't come out until 1990, no way he would have been at that type of high profile Igbo wedding in 1989. . .
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by xtervaganza(m): 6:36pm On Oct 24, 2019
RexTramadol1:

It whistled it grin
grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin

Why grin grin
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by Nobody: 6:52pm On Oct 24, 2019
buragidi:

This is not entirely correct. Shina Peters is a living legend. He started his musical career very early, staying with Chief Ebenezer Obey, then went for apprenticeship under Prince Adekunle. He is one of the best lead guitarist Nigeria has ever produced. The title 'Sir' was confered on him by the Queen in England when she saw him playing guitar to back-up his boss, Prince Adekunle in London even when he was under 10years.

He later formed a band with Segun Adewale when he moved away from his boss. Because he was never seen as a goood singer, he was made to stay on guitar. Later, he developed his talent in singing and separated from Segun Adewale. He released a number of albums alone then, in the 80s which could not compete with the works of King Sunny Ade, Ebenezer Obey, Segun Adewale et al.

By the late 80s, Fuji music was overtaking the Yoruba musical scene, thereby relegating juju music to the background. It was a time the likes of late Sikiru Ayinde Barrister, Alhaji Kollington Ayinla, KWAM1 and other fuji artistes were giving the juju musicians such as KSA and Ebenezer Obey fair competition.

During this period, Shina peters was in oblivion. He was only playing guitar around. At a level he played for Fela Anikulapo Kuti. During this time also, he was secretly working on how to revolutionise the juju music and restore the genre of music to its past glory. In 1989, he entered studio and release afro-juju (series 1)-ACE. Statistically, since musicians have released musical records in Nigeria, noone has got the kind of impacts Shina's ace had. It was simply revolutionary!. It shook every nook and cranny of Nigeria. Irrespective of tribe, religion or ethnic, afro Juju series 1 was accepted and danced by all. Infact, for two years running, no musician could enter studio to release any album. Shina had set a standard. He had taken over the market.

Well, the concern was that he would not be able to sustain the tempo, but to the dissapointment of his critics, he released Shinamania (Afro Juju series 2) a year after. That album was another blockbuster that went viral. By then, everyone had to start adjusting music performance to at least have Shina's music flow. The likes of Dayo Kujore, Dele Taiwo, Olu fajemirokun et al adopted the same style of music, but Shina remained the master of the game. Even Fuji musicians, such as Adewale Ayuba, KWAM 1 et al made adjustment in their musical style to comply with the new standard set by Shina.

As if that was not enough, Shina Peters released Afro Juju series 3 titled dancing time. It was in this album he said 'grammar no be money', an obvious response to critics who lambasted him for not speaking good English. While the album was still reigning, he released another titled 'experience' which was another musical bombshell. Thereafter, he has released series of album such as mr president, playmate, reunion, my child etc.

Of course, he is not as promonent as he used to be, but then, the truth is that his musical style still influences virtually all the music played in Yoruba land today, including Gospel. For example, Yinka Ayefele, Lanre Teriba etc all adopt Shina's style. Also, the man is still very relevant. Today, shina peter is always invited to any musical festival to represent the Juju music genre all over the world.

He is indeed a legend.

Well well, just look at that. Thanks for setting me straight. I had never heard of him till he sang that song that rocked the airwaves in the late 80s and early 90s.

Thanks for the info.
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by Tembebe: 6:55pm On Oct 24, 2019
majamajic:

see here read carefully , see again where shina said his mum died cos her 2 children came from different dads

I don't know u keep arguing , shina normally come Onitsha his dad's house when I was Small , shina knows this , music got to shina through his dad , just like to Clarence through Shina ,

both the Yoruba verses

shina Peters is more popular in the east than sunny ade, Ebenezer obey and davido combined , u never try to know the reason why ?

don't u see his life style ? look his face and osadebe , the go look that Ogun dad, then look Clarence .

http://www.citypeopleonline.com/mothers-womb-3-years-•sir-shina-peters-tells-city-people/
OK,will check it out.
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by BlackPantherCri: 6:58pm On Oct 24, 2019
TooMuchStuff:
Point of correction it's 1994........ Not 1989.

It's 25 yrs ago during Abacha the Tyrant regime.

Don't forget Umaru Dikko 'collect' a resetting Slap from Ojukwu that same month.

I taya o. 1989 ke?
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by Adebowalay(m): 7:03pm On Oct 24, 2019
imhotep:

Some people will attack you for saying this grin
them no dey garri me nah..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by Tembebe: 7:12pm On Oct 24, 2019
majamajic:

both the Yoruba verses

Well I don't want to keep arguing with you simply because it's none of my business and I'm not in any way related to shina and his tribe.
But for historical reasons,I went ahead and checked the latest link you put out there.
I didn't see anywhere where he remotely mentioned his Igbo heritage, wonder why?
Is it that he's ashamed or what?
He only mentioned his mother's two children having different fathers and that he never knew his father.
All you wrote up there is not even written there,not even close
Anyways, I will want us to beware of unfounded theories.If you can believe this theory you are spouting then the story of Obasanjo being an Igbo man,that was carried years ago(don't know if you heard),should be believed too.
There was even a picture of an Igbo man who looked so much like obasanjo that was put in different magazines that year.
This is the last I will say about it.peace out

1 Like

Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by 77up(m): 7:19pm On Oct 24, 2019
When Nigerians are together irrespective of their tribe, not now that vagabond and unfortunate ones have been born and causing uproar, disunity and bigotry through social media sad .

1 Like

Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by TheBeat: 7:43pm On Oct 24, 2019
1Sharon:

Pls what are old igbo tribal names?
Those names like Ojukwu, Onwuariri, aririegbu etc. Names given before the coming of missionaries. No Christian parent would name their kids onwuegbu. Not because they are meaningless or evil but do not have 'Christian coloration'
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by webngnews: 7:44pm On Oct 24, 2019
Oh
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by 1Sharon(f): 7:49pm On Oct 24, 2019
TheBeat:

Those names like Ojukwu, Onwuariri, aririegbu etc. Names given before the coming of missionaries. No Christian parent would name their kids onwuegbu. Not because they are meaningless or evil but do not have 'Christian coloration'

Ok what do those names mean? Do any of them refer to traditional gods Igbos used to worship?
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by Yankiss(m): 7:57pm On Oct 24, 2019
johnmartus:
I notice igbo don't name their children ojukwu. There must be a reason for that.
Must u comment on everything? How many children answer Awolowo, Balewa or Enahoro? Chukwuemeka is Ojukwu's first name and is trite in Igbo land. Next time, think before you comment.
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by dederocs(m): 8:09pm On Oct 24, 2019
Chief has been an Aristocrat from the get go... respect to the first Ojukwu, men been running things big.
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by buragidi(m): 8:27pm On Oct 24, 2019
Why are u guys so ridiculous? When was Osadebe born? When did he start music? When was the he become popular? When was the first time he ever visited Lagos in his life? When was SSP born?.

It will interest u to know that Osadebe was 22 when shina was born. Osadebe was playing his music in the east alone in the late 50s. He came to Lagos for the first tome in 1968, that was when Shina was already 10 years old. Excuse me sir, how did he now sleep with Shina's Mum when he never even visit Lag in his life when Shina was born?
Shina was not only popular in the east. He was equally popular in the North despite the fact that the hausas hardly embrace music from other parts of the country. The reasin for this is very simple. Shina music was not completely in Yoruba. It was majorly in pidgin Emglish. His percussion was tick and danceable. Go to youtube and still play his albims of those years today, you would have no choice than to dance. For your information, his music was also accepted in Ghana. You know why? It was a kind of music people have never heard before.

Maybe you do not know, Shina peters have been releasing albums since late 70s. For example, Sewele was released by him in 1978. Ayalegbe was released in 1982. Just search them on youtube. How come igbo did not accept him then if truly it was because of Osadebe blood that the igbos accepted his music as u errorneously asserted.

In some other places, u compared KSA's acceptance with Shina's in the East. That is simply an utter display of ignorance. Even in Yorubaland, everyone knows shna's music differ from KSA's and they are mearnt for different target market. KSA's music is for the elderly and the elites. Then his music is absolutely yoruba. His lyrics are purely yoruba and that is his target.

On the other hand, Shina's music appealed to the youth. His percussion is very heavy. His tempo is very fast and his chords are short-lived, but highly rythymic. For example, KSA will usually play chords ftom beginning to the end in an album, shina would only use chords for interlude while articulating percussion. Then Shina sang in pidgin, therefore igbo, hausa and yoruba could connect. This was the reason igbo accepted his music sir, it has got nothing to do with osadebe.
[quote autr=majamajic post=83427477]

shina Peter is Igbo

he is from Anambra , his dad is osita osadebe ( look resemblance of the 2)

osadebe do perform at empire hotel idi Oro when shina mum do sell at night

he got her pregnant , though he didn't marry her according to custom and tradition

shina mum is from Ogun state

shina went on to date an Igbo actress too

mrs charloline chukwurah got her pregnant too , he didn't marry her

they have a son together Clarence Peters , the best musical video producer in Nigeria ( Clarence shot it )

during osadebe burial Shina Peter was there with family burial attire.

Shina's album Afrojuju, Ace reigned in the east and it's in the best top 10 album most played in Igbo land Today , same with shinamania is in top 20 too[/quote]
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by Ojiofor: 8:30pm On Oct 24, 2019
OlawaleBammie:

Pls enlighten me here, why would igbo choose against naming there ward Okonkwo??

Igbo language is evolving like every other language,In today's Igbo world,Igbo parents prefer to name thier wards names that reflect their christian faith.
Like,Ifeanyichukwu,chukwuebuka,Tochukwu,Ebube,Chiamaka etc........
How many Yoruba parents are naming their kids for example Awolowo,Obasanjo in this generation?

2 Likes

Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by OlawaleBammie: 8:40pm On Oct 24, 2019
Ojiofor:

Igbo language is evolving like every other language,In today's Igbo world,Igbo parents prefer to name thier wards names that reflect their christian faith.
Like,Ifeanyichukwu,chukwuebuka,Tochukwu,Ebube,Chiamaka etc........
How many Yoruba parents are naming their kids for example Awolowo,Obasanjo in this generation?

okkkkk.. i understand

pls wat is d meaning of d name.. okonkwo??
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by Ojiofor: 9:04pm On Oct 24, 2019
OlawaleBammie:

okkkkk.. i understand

pls wat is d meaning of d name.. okonkwo??

Okonkwo means a male child born on Nkwo market day.
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by Uwaiwe: 9:28pm On Oct 24, 2019
johnmartus:
I notice igbo don't name their children ojukwu. There must be a reason for that.
Similar to Yorubas not naming their children Obasanjo.

1 Like

Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by OGHENAOGIE(m): 9:32pm On Oct 24, 2019
earleswood:

That is because Ojukwu is a surname, not a first name, just like Awolowo, Akintola, Obasanjo,
but why do u guys like to spoil things with trivially... the afonja guy who started this name thing is very senseless wallahi
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by Kayceo2010: 9:41pm On Oct 24, 2019
johnmartus:
I lived among igbos for a complete 5years. None of this parent name their son ojukwu.

Receive sense man..
Ojukwu is a fuckin surname not a first name. Your family can't just wake up one day and give you a surname as your first name. His first name is CHUKWUEMEKA and tell me..
How many do you know??
Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by uniquelyspecial(m): 9:51pm On Oct 24, 2019
johnmartus:
I lived among igbos for a complete 5years. None of this parent name their son ojukwu.
For same reason you wouldn't hear children bearing Okeke, Ibegbulam, Nwosu...

Time has changed, some names are not just for this time. I'm sure it's applicable in almost all cultures

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by gabbasin(m): 10:23pm On Oct 24, 2019
johnmartus:
Yoruba's too don't name their children awolowo

1 Like

Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by nwanyionitsha: 1:11am On Oct 25, 2019
iamJ:
Small fingers

Hmmmmm

Tiny hmmmm

No wonder he ran wen gowon's army got close

Was that why awo the fulani slave soaked garri with otapiapia made in Anambra state ?
Take your postcard.
Awo ! Theambassadorof otapiapiA

1 Like

Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by Prideofthelion: 1:15am On Oct 25, 2019
johnmartus:

HOW MANY YORUBAS NAMED THEIR SONS AWOLOWO.....mbe shocked

1 Like

Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by nwanyionitsha: 1:16am On Oct 25, 2019
johnmartus:
Mumu Ojukwu is a family name.
There are families that have Ojukwu as their family name or have you seen yorubas with the name awolowo ?

1 Like

Re: Sir Shina Peters Performing At Ojukwu's Wedding 30 Years Ago by bibe(m): 1:23am On Oct 25, 2019
johnmartus:

Ojukwu is a surname not a first name so can't be given but can be inherited.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Purity Okojie Swims For Her School At The World School Games In Dubai / Singer Asa Flaunts Her Boyfriend [PHOTO] / Lekucci Global Fulfills Promise To Laycon, Gets 50 Ready-Made Wears For Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.