Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,462 members, 7,840,011 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion (32954 Views)

Atiku Vs Tinubu Vs Obi How They Stand On National Development Benchmarks / How They Stand In The Race For Senate: Apc 61 Pdp 33 Ypp 1 / Angry Nigerian Blast Lai Muhammad Over N3.5million E-lzakzakky Feeding (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 03, 2019
BUSINESSARENAA:
I once said that the closure of these borders is not a properly thought idea, but some ignorant entities were ranting up and down.

Rice is not the only commodity that passes through a border. There are a lot of genuine business that passes through the land border.

If you are importing or exporting to some of the west African countries, it's easier and more cost effective to use the land boarders than the sea port.

Imagine a man exporting textiles to Ghana from Kano, how possibly will he do that through the sea port in APAPA?

I am totally against rice smuggling but the government should have come up with smarter ideas to deal with this issue, and not shutting down the whole boarder.

Presently I have about two trailers of hides and skin from Mali parked at the boarder incurring bills, with high possibility of spoiling within the shortest period of time because of its present condition.

How do I import from Mali to Nigeria through the seaport?

It is only those that does not understand what happens at the land boarders that are jumping up and down.

Once again I reiterate my stance against smuggling rice through the boarders, but we have to be more tactical in handling certain issues as regards to our economy.

This boarder issue in Nigeria is like a fly perching on a man's scrotal sack, you have to apply wisdom in dealing with it, if not you may end up hurting yourself terribly bad if you hit it with great force.

Your case of hides & skin importation through Mali is just one of hundreds of businesses affected by the border closure which affected millions of people in West, East & Central Africa. I am against rice smuggling and appreciated CBN efforts to develop Rice business in Nigeria to save billions of dollar spent on rice importation.

PETER OBI said you don't close your shop because you want to run after a thief. He said this to explain the inefficiency and crude methods Customs are using to fight corruption at the sea ports which have created bottlenecks and damaged roads and bridges leading to Lagos ports. There is an operational chaos at Lagos ports presently.

At last, Buhari, Ali and the rest Arewa Mafia can decide to open borders because Textile companies in Arewa land are complaining of loss. Their (textile) loss is lesser than the profit made by the rice mills, despite that, the mafias prefer a win - win situation both for the rice farmers and the textile mills.

One day Nigeria would be free.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by karnap(m): 1:59pm On Nov 03, 2019
they should sued the federal government.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:01pm On Nov 03, 2019
Gilgil:
Perhaps you may consider that the cost of manufacturing in Nigeria is too high due to poor infrastructure and policies.

Count how many factories have closed down or drastically cut capacity in the last 20 years. Where is Michelin, Dunlop? Check capacities of other that have dropped.

If the government does Its job well, local manufacturing would compete favourably with imports.

Poor electricity, poor transport infrastructure (rail track, inland shipping), multiple taxation, little marginal difference in import duties of finished goods and their raw materials etc. This is the government's job but they won't do it, rather it's always a knee-jerk reaction everytime.

I recall when the federal administartion joined in 2015, we had the worst fuel crisis in Nigeria yet due to complete ban of most vessels bringing in petroleum products into the country on the allegation of subsidy corruption. Guess what? The shunned Nigeria and we had a crazy time wirh petrol for more than a month. Of course lives were lost from people hoarding etc, but who measures?

So, the idea is to get the Government agencies at the border to DO THEIR JOBS. The executive arm is in charge of customs, and so they should police the land borders effectively. Anyone caught Offending, officer or smuggler shoukd face the law while law abiding Nigerians can import or export through the land borders. People can't go suffering because the Nigerian Customs cannot do their jobs of policing the land borders!

Someone with sense. Watch zombies rush you like ants on gala
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by justtoodark: 2:01pm On Nov 03, 2019
vaxx2:
I don't hate Nigeria and Nigerians. how can I hate my fatherland ? I just hate the idealogy of the policy makers. and to your links. i am pretty sure you know the reasons the land border was closed . benin and other neighbouring countries are not allowed.

did i missed something....??
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by adenigga(m): 2:02pm On Nov 03, 2019
BUSINESSARENAA:
I once said that the closure of these borders is not a properly thought idea, but some ignorant entities were ranting up and down.

Rice is not the only commodity that passes through a border. There are a lot of genuine business that passes through the land border.

If you are importing or exporting to some of the west African countries, it's easier and more cost effective to use the land boarders than the sea port.

Imagine a man exporting textiles to Ghana from Kano, how possibly will he do that through the sea port in APAPA?

I am totally against rice smuggling but the government should have come up with smarter ideas to deal with this issue, and not shutting down the whole boarder.

Presently I have about two trailers of hides and skin from Mali parked at the boarder incurring bills, with high possibility of spoiling within the shortest period of time because of its present condition.

How do I import from Mali to Nigeria through the seaport?

It is only those that does not understand what happens at the land boarders that are jumping up and down.

Once again I reiterate my stance against smuggling rice through the boarders, but we have to be more tactical in handling certain issues as regards to our economy.

This boarder issue in Nigeria is like a fly perching on a man's scrotal sack, you have to apply wisdom in dealing with it, if not you may end up hurting yourself terribly bad if you hit it with great force.

I respect your analysis! You are damn articulate Sir!

But remember, one of the Holy books, to be precise BIBLE says, 'when the sinfuls are suffering for their deeds, the righteous will be a partakers.'

I thought the thinking of government was let us keep them unaware & strike without taking into cognizance the effects on others categories of trade.

Well. I respect you for your bold comment.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by MUMUdom: 2:02pm On Nov 03, 2019
Bros, don’t worry,huh? grin when the sh1t hits the fan, that is when you will know. grin

GUTA will close down nigerian shops and there is nothing anyone can do about it grin don’t come here crying when it happens oooh grin roforoforofo grin your ministers were here some months ago to cry and beg for those shops to be opened. Fuckeduppedness ordinary shops

Meanwhile, Ghana’s economy is growing rapaciously at 8.8% annually. Heard the generator-powered nigerian economy is struggling to avoid a recession grin grin grin recession straight grin Fuckeduppedness

Area4Area:
Close those shops, stop your police from reopening them and tell your ministers from cautioning your GUTA or GUTTER.
You closed down the shops and the Nigerian economy wasn't dented but just an ordinary border closure and your economy is taking a beating.
That's why your ministers have made Abuja your adopted nation's capital now.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Darayola(m): 2:03pm On Nov 03, 2019
It is when we are self sufficient that we can meaningfully share with the rest of the world.

In my own opinion oooooooooo, let's begin to source for raw materials locally, produce locally and sell locally.

While the border remain closed, we have more to gain as a people/nation than to loss.

Thank you.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by justtoodark: 2:03pm On Nov 03, 2019
Area4Area:
This chat is becoming childish, let's talk or chat next time.
You can be from China, Japan, the US and Britain all together, makes no sense.

Go have your lunch and rest then you go outside and play.

don min am....as if we give a fvck wheather he is nigerian or not....

even nigerians bash nigerians....!!
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by justtoodark: 2:05pm On Nov 03, 2019
MUMUdom:
Bros, don’t worry,huh? grin when the sh1t hits the fan, that is when you will know. grin

GUTA will close down nigerian shops and there is nothing anyone can do about it grin don’t come here crying when it happens oooh grin roforoforofo grin your ministers were here some months ago to cry and beg for those shops to be opened. Fuckeduppedness ordinary shops

Meanwhile, Ghana’s economy is growing rapaciously at 8.8% annually. Heard the generator-powered nigerian economy is struggling to avoid a recession grin grin grin recession straight grin Fuckeduppedness

close down everything in ghana....we dont give a fvck....
fvckedupness....
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Just30: 2:05pm On Nov 03, 2019
justtoodark:

you again....thunda go fire you,right now,right now....

f ghana....!!
go get sense else where
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by justtoodark: 2:06pm On Nov 03, 2019
Just30:
go get sense else where

am already getting sense....

f ghana....!!
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:06pm On Nov 03, 2019
Gilgil:
The truth is that Nigeria would lose more than we gain during this border closure.

The net result would be a negative. What the customs boss should do is to REFORM his institution! Collect duties everywhere both land, sea and air and provide the one mission they have which is POLICE THE BORDERS EFFECTIVELY FOR GOODS!

If the Nigerian Customs were to be a private company, would the CEO accept a closure of land borders ( loss of revenue, inconvenience to clients, bad image to company) from the customs boss because he cannot control smuggling through the land borders? Resources would be provided for that and if the boss cannot deliver, he would be asked to resign. But again, we are in Nigeria!
God bless you for this. You're just dropping it as it be. But will zombies agree?
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Blue3k(m): 2:08pm On Nov 03, 2019
Area4Area:
Check up your link very well because it doesn't fit into the discourse please.

You bandied 50%, I asked for link and you said 11% and and I read your link and it was saying something else.

I admitted to exaggerating but yes food prices did jump. Tomatoes did go up 83% for example. Again how does that hurt Ghana or south Africa like you bragged? Your president now wants to reopen borders st the end of January for everyone.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:09pm On Nov 03, 2019
vaxx2:
Do you know what will have been those company revenue if there is constant supply of electricity to their company? Do you know how many Nigerians will be working there if more revenue is forth coming? The failure to power Nigeria is the reason unemployment is skyrocketing. how can I employed more when i run lots of cash fuelling my industrial generator with monthly maintenance.
Ornicus the generator inspector will not agree
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by justtoodark: 2:10pm On Nov 03, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

God bless you for this. You're just dropping it as it be. But will zombies agree?

nigeria cant loose....we have the numbers....we can concentrate makin business with asian nations....
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:13pm On Nov 03, 2019
isthatso:

my friend stop talking out of ignorance, power is only a factor if fuel is a significant portion of your input costs. Not every industry is heavily geared to power as an input cost. No doubt power is a factor for some industries but interest rates, poor bank lending, smuggled goods are bigger impediments to the majority of industries than power. So stop making blanket statements
Dis is how to know people who don't run businesses

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 03, 2019
Darayola:
It is when we are self sufficient that we can meaningfully share with the rest of the world.

In my own opinion oooooooooo, let's begin to source for raw materials locally, produce locally and sell locally.

While the border remain closed, we have more to gain as a people/nation than to loss.

Thank you.

All this nomadic principle can only work in cattle kingdom. When China decided to go into Crude oil exploration, many developed countries were against it, but China has to apologize. China said they went into exploration for the survival of their industries in crisis period.

You can as well tell Nigerians abroad to return home and work until we are self sufficient. US may also stop to buy our crude to develop their oil fields and alternative energy source.

Nomadic school of economics cannot survive global economic principle.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by MUMUdom: 2:18pm On Nov 03, 2019
Stop talking like a fool,huh? Ghana is not a beggarly country. Ghana is 100 better than your sh1thole. Ghana has a better life expectancy, regular electricity , good roads, people in Ghana sleep with their eyes close unlike your sh1thole. Ghanaian children not only enjoy free education, but are also fed by the state. 10 million nigerian children don’t go to school. I hope you know that. Fuckeduppedness grin

Area4Area:
That's what we're doing and these crying and beggarly countries especially Ghana won't allow us sort ourselves in peace

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:18pm On Nov 03, 2019
isthatso:

so how do you explain the industries producing today?

get a brain. if you can run your plants on diesel and still make a profit, lack of electricity will not halt your business, have you ever heard that cocacola or guiness or Unilever are leaving Nigeria because there is no electricity? is it not this same no light Nigeria that indomie set up in 1989 and became what they are? There are some industries that cannot survive on Generators, e.g those requiring furnaces but ......not every manufacturing industry is the same.

only a fo0l makes blanket statements like that in an attempt to sound knowledgeable.
Ignoramus
Cocacola scaled down the distribution network in Nigeria two years ago due to lower productivity and cost cutting leaving many jobless.
Guinness imports some of its drinks from Ghana.
Same with Unilever. Blue band margarine is no longer produced in Nigeria.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by IMAliyu(m): 2:18pm On Nov 03, 2019
justtoodark:

nigeria cant loose....we have the numbers....we can concentrate makin business with asian nations....
The problem is what do we Nigerians have to offer to the world?
Nigeria's large population means a large consumer market and hence why other countries would like to sell to us, but for a proper business to take place Nigeria has to have something to offer to the world that isn't just a dumping group for foreign goods.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Just30: 2:21pm On Nov 03, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

Ignoramus
Cocacola scaled down the distribution network in Nigeria two years ago due to lower productivity and cost cutting leaving many jobless.
for Nigeria to be able to keep some of those companies, it really need to improve on it infrastructure
like water and electricity
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 03, 2019
BUSINESSARENAA:

The more reason I said government should come up with smart ideas on how best to solve the issue thoroughly.

Rice is their major reason, as they said.

There are 41 items banned by the CBN and all those items found their way through neighboring countries.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:24pm On Nov 03, 2019
Area4Area:
Go with your ECOWAS then, what do we even gain from you beggars? Presidents of Benin, Niger and Ghana have been begging since the closure.
We are waiting for the rest of ECOWAS and Cameroon before we'd say anything.
Funny enough, Benin does not allow importation of Nigerian cement and their customs do so effectively. How come our customs can't be like the rest of customs in West Africa. The bubu wey wan pight kwaraption, why can't he fight corruption in customs and get due credit?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Jlow2: 2:27pm On Nov 03, 2019
When u supported buhari you 4got his policies affects everbody in the country , u taut he will treat his supporter differently
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by IMAliyu(m): 2:28pm On Nov 03, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

Ignoramus
Imagine trying to start up something like a tech company in a country that doesn't have 24/7 electricity.
Basic infrastructure electricity, water, transport is always the most important factors for any business anywhere.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by AlphaStyles(m): 2:31pm On Nov 03, 2019
Area4Area:
Story for the gods, tell us who signed for the corridor from both sides.

Very soon your factories will start relocating to Nigeria because Nigeria has been their target market, we've sent them a serious message already
which factories? How will factories relocate to a nation with poor electricity and poor working conditions?
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by kutashi: 2:33pm On Nov 03, 2019
SarkinYarki:
The truth is now coming out ..By the the time this is over Nigeria would have lost over 8 trillion Naira because shortsighted Buhari want local farmers to sell 500 thousand bags of rice Worth a paltry 6 billion reminiscent of how the same Buhari made the oil industry lose over 80 billion dollars because Buhari wanted to recover a paltry 35 million dollars from Tompolo ..Buhari is visionless and so myopic that anybody expecting positive results from him is like someone expecting Keke Napep to win a Formula one race .
Why are you so daft? Did you read the content at all? It seems New telegraph is working against the border closure. Last time, it was over faceless unknown 300 firm reported that relocated out of the country. Now, its over 3 trillion to be lost. I am waiting for the next one!
On Tompolo issue, look for more fact than virus you are spreading around.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by SarkinYarki: 2:37pm On Nov 03, 2019
kutashi:

Why are you so daft? Did you read the content at all? It seems New telegraph is working against the border closure. Last time, it was over faceless unknown 300 firm reported that relocated out of the country. Now, its over 3 trillion to be lost. I am waiting for the next one!
On Tompolo issue, look for more fact than virus you are spreading around.

You are not a smart person so please get off my mention..
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Nobody: 2:39pm On Nov 03, 2019
CosmeticChemist:
3 trillion from sales of textile ? How much is Nigeria's budget for 2019 ? I don't believe this..

National budget, gross domestic product, GDP per capita are all different things. If Nigerians In one sector of the economy put together all their money, it will be far far far far bigger than the national budget.
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:42pm On Nov 03, 2019
justtoodark:

they should start producin stuffs and stop been so fvckin lazy....!!
Hey!! angry
Don't be silly ok? You can accuse the Igbo of anything but definitely not being lazy
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:44pm On Nov 03, 2019
ornicus:

foolish dunce
tower aluminum who make roofs, pots profiles use generators
[s]MTN has two generators in every base station in this country[/s]
every petrol station has a generator
the rice mills have generators
molfix, nestle, guiness etal all have generators.

They have not died because economic saboteur importers have not been able to bring in cheap Chinese substitutes for their products.

i do not expect you to understand this, since the man whose dick you are sucking off spends all his own time in dubai. he would rather send his money making arabs rich.

hopefully we will pull through so our dead an at risk industries will be revived and you can finally get a real job and understand what gainful employment is. that will be the first in a long series of steps towards redeeming your arrant stupidity
I have helped to cancel out ur lies. Now go to those companies and ask them how using those generators and spending daily on diesel affects their overheads
Re: Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion by engrchykae(m): 2:47pm On Nov 03, 2019
justtoodark:

go ask putin....!!
Putin that betrayed Libya

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

MURIC Tasks Obiano On Muslims In Anambra / President Buhari Calls For Immediate Release Of Malian President Keita / Shehu Sani Dares Northern Politicians To Paste Tinubu's Poster In Their Houses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.