Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,985 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:41 AM

Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour (21691 Views)

Bamidele Salam Protests Barefoot, Demands Release Of Kidnapped Train Passengers / Bamidele Salam Visits Ademola Adeleke In Ede (Pictures) / 2019 Elections: Collect Bribe, It’s Your Money – Fashola To Voters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by Easy023(m): 5:02pm On Nov 07, 2019
The statement that roads in the country are not as bad as they are portrayed, attributed to Babatunde Fashola, Minister for Works and Housing, has earned him a response from a member of the House of Representatives, Bamidele Salam.

Mr Salam (PDP–Ede North/Ede South/Egbedore/Ejigbo federal constituency) challenged Mr. Fashola and other relevant stakeholders to boycott air travels for road ones for the next 90 days in order to estimate the ratio of good to bad roads in the country.

Mr Fashola had on Wednesday while addressing state house correspondents after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting, said: “The roads (in the country) are not as bad as they are often portrayed. I know that this is going to be your headline, but the roads are not that bad.”

The gauntlet

But Mr Salam, while speaking with journalists Thursday, chided the minister.

“I found this statement, which had been repeated by the Hon Minister at least on two previous occasions as a clear indication that some of us in public offices are not at all in tune with the horrendous realities of our fellow citizens’ daily experience.

“Appreciating what Nigerians go through on our bad roads daily, requires that public office holders put themselves in the shoes of the average Nigerian and get a firsthand experience of how Nigerians survive on a daily basis.”
The rep member said “it is only when the minister, as well as other relevant stakeholder, travel the roads in the country for a reasonable length of time would they understand the yearnings of Nigerians.

“As a Member of the House of Representatives Committee on Works, I will be throwing a road travel challenge to the Hon Minister and all persons concerned to avoid air travel for all local trips in the next 90 days.

“If we will agree to this challenge, we may come back with a better appreciation of the true state of our road infrastructure and the desperate things we need to do to save our economy from further disruptions as a result of the burgeoning crisis in the road transportation sector,” he said.
Meanwhile, the minister’s description of a bad road has received strong pushback from Nigerians, many of whom ply the roads.

Road mishaps, which also led to the recent inferno that razed a market in Onitsha, have been attributed to be a function of, apart from reckless driving, the deplorable roads that litter the country.

The Federal Road Safety Corps says that at least 1,618 people have lost their lives through road accidents between December 2018 and February 2019.

‘Reality check’

Nigerians on social media advised Mr Fashola to do a reality check on the said roads and not mere verbal assessment of them, with some offering to show him around.

Here are some of their reactions on Twitter:

I volunteer to take @tundefashola on a road trip throughout Nigeria with cameramen & all the media coverage needed. Bill on me Honorable Minister Sir.

Let’s show Nigerians what an honourable man you are by saying Nigerian roads aren’t as bad as people make them out to be. Deal?

Source https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/361446-rep-member-challenges-fashola-to-90-day-road-travel-tour.html

28 Likes

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by Racoon(m): 5:18pm On Nov 07, 2019
Everybody under this APC government is a chronic liar in its own class.Fashola is a monumental failure as minister.

188 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by IamR: 5:19pm On Nov 07, 2019
Fashola should start from Enugu to Onitsha
Yenagoa/Mbiama to Port Harcourt
Suleija to Minna
Akwanga to Jos
Ikeja to Abeokuta

I am sure when he returns, he will apologize to all Nigerians on his insensitive comment.

142 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by newuser002: 5:20pm On Nov 07, 2019
My name and info was wrongly spelt in nysc dat since january this year i only got to know around june after to amd fro trips to student affairs and alnost causing a scene. Out of frustration and desperation,i registered in batch b around june this year and was given exemption due to age.i drafted a letter again to dean stating that i graduated at 26 in 2012 so why am i being exempted. But till date my dashboard has still not changed from exemption,my names not spelt correctly and date of graduation still error reading 2017 instead of 2012. Is there anyway out,can i still serve if theres a chance to edit my age.pls i need honest response.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by WinkWrld: 5:20pm On Nov 07, 2019
No one hears the truth when you are up there. Take a walk down the memory lane and see for urself Mr Ola

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by Homeboiy: 5:20pm On Nov 07, 2019
Oga fashola

We await your reply

1 Like

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by IMASTEX: 5:20pm On Nov 07, 2019
Forget about the challenge he isn't going to dare. They all know the condition of the road.

Meanwhile, You can naturally end quick release, weak attention, etc. Click Here

1 Like

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by Coldie(m): 5:20pm On Nov 07, 2019
Fashola accept the challenge if you are brave enough. Only Aba-ph road will humble u

25 Likes

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by IdioticNLmods: 5:20pm On Nov 07, 2019
Nice one.. Sensible swners are rare. This man here should be the kind of man they asslick, not the bullion van froggy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by idmfifkivbv: 5:20pm On Nov 07, 2019
cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by risos(m): 5:21pm On Nov 07, 2019
Over to you sir, it will be a great way to do on the spot assessment.
Personally I think there is another Nigeria in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by ecolime(m): 5:21pm On Nov 07, 2019
90 days too much na. You want make him just die like fowl? 15 days is okay.

7 Likes

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by Bonaventura(m): 5:21pm On Nov 07, 2019
Challenge Accepted!

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by superlanny(m): 5:21pm On Nov 07, 2019
What we lack in Nigeria is Maintenance culture, we wait till the pot hole is big enough, or the crack is wide enough, look at all our stadiums today, Just look at EKEDC that we complained to about our transformer sparking and smelling of burnt wire, the idiots asked if we still have light, I said yes, the next thing he said was, the time make we come never reach...I was like WTF, just because you want to collect Money from people, the transformer must exploded before it can be attended too, Nigeria my country.

12 Likes

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by BlackCrainte: 5:21pm On Nov 07, 2019
[s]
Racoon:
Everybody under this APC government is a chronic liar in its own class.Fashola is a monumental failure as minister.
[/s]
Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by Blinkers: 5:21pm On Nov 07, 2019
cool

Agreed that APC and PDP are cut from the same coat of political failure, APC took it to another dimension with it's delusional lies.

Even their zombies on this platform are having mental shocks with these bare-faced lies. Some though, can be redeemed like the idîot who commented above me.

Rep. Member, waiting for Fashola to agree to your challenge is almost like waiting for Christ to come. O.Y.O

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by noeloge82(m): 5:21pm On Nov 07, 2019
Who will take this challenge
Nigeria my country
Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by Antoeni(m): 5:22pm On Nov 07, 2019
That will make a whole Lot of Sense,
So that he Stop making Unguided Utterances

1 Like

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by ulysses: 5:22pm On Nov 07, 2019
I concur, let him start from Abuja to Lokoja then to Lagos... He will rimember his parents suffering!
#IHateNonsenseTalk
Mtcheeew

5 Likes

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by Badonasty(m): 5:22pm On Nov 07, 2019
nice challenge...fashola go juat Dey spew trash for mouth....from oshodi to Isolo na war on its own

1 Like

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by ednut1(m): 5:22pm On Nov 07, 2019
Fashola the shameless pigeon headed man

4 Likes

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by donprinyo(m): 5:22pm On Nov 07, 2019
Mumu nigerians, u want to waste more lives in 90 days just for report. Simply give him 1 week to get a report of de condition of roads in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by johnlvis(m): 5:22pm On Nov 07, 2019
Always under the corridors of power ,how will he know the roads are bad . From Ac car to Ac aircraft to Ac office. He visits his friends that lives in a very well reserved area . How will you know the roads are bad . Honestly, this country tire me.

2 Likes

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by Mowoe(m): 5:22pm On Nov 07, 2019
I used to admire Fashola alot when he was Lagos State governor; but he's been showing how much he is like the other politicians lately. I can't even talk much i sha know they are all bastardsss fighting for their personal interests including this one challenging him.

4 Likes

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by BlackfireX: 5:22pm On Nov 07, 2019
This Fashola eh.... This ministerial post have exposed him.... We would have thought he is a presidential material.

Fear North

7 Likes

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 07, 2019
Ordinary Ikeja under bridge to Pen Cinema will humble him.

7 Likes

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by Justice434(m): 5:23pm On Nov 07, 2019
Fashola is irritating me right now.

5 Likes

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by Hotzone(m): 5:23pm On Nov 07, 2019
Please, forgive fashola he is a typical Nigerian. All we care is our garri ....

Why won’t he said that ‘Nigeria roads are not that bad’. The words has been resonating in my mind and I wish I can make it stop!
It proves that these bunch of leaders we have here don’t use roads except from house (which is always a stone throw from office) to office, airport or commissioning of half baked projects
Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by mistacoco2: 5:23pm On Nov 07, 2019
Fashola should be Bann to use flight when traveling, he should be travelling by road only.

3 Likes

Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by Obakoolex(m): 5:23pm On Nov 07, 2019
Nice counter Mr Rep.

Not that fellow above going off point cool
Re: Bamidele Salam Challenges Fashola To 90-Day Road Travel Tour by Gyarah: 5:23pm On Nov 07, 2019
A very good challenge. These government officials talk as if they are not in Nigeria or their audience not in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dikko Umar To Court: I Acquired N9.7 Billion Assets From My Travel Allowance / Akeredolu: No Obedients In Ondo / N40 Pump Fuel Price Is My Figure, Not Buhari’s, Says David-west

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.