Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,870 members, 7,813,963 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife (32339 Views)

Bala Mohammed: I Told Atiku He’s Old, Tired To Lead Nigeria, Declares Interest / Bala Mohammed: I have No Apologies For Using Chloroquine To Cure Coronavirus / Junaid Mohammed: I Will Rather Have Tinubu As President Than Igbo Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by GistMore1: 6:52am On Nov 10, 2019

I was 16, a stark illiterate, when I married Bauchi gov — Wife

Mrs Aishatu Mohammed, the wife of Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed, said on Saturday that she had had no formal education as of the time she married her husband.

Mohammed stated this in Bauchi at the occasion of the “Naija Youth Talk”, Organised by the Bauchi Field Office of the United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF)

“I was 16 years old and a stark illiterate when I married my husband.

“We were 100 girls in our family; none went to school; I only started school after my third child,” she said.

She decried the high rate of illiteracy and early marriage among young girls in the state, blaming the situation on parents who believed formal education for the girl-child was a mere waste of resources.

“We were 100 girls in my family, but none of us had a formal education; I had never been to primary school in my parent’s house.

“This is because our parents never believed in educating the girl-child; I struggled to go to school, but they refused.

“I picked the challenge to be educated from my brothers and after I had my third child, I insisted my husband get me a home teacher.

“That’s how I started and I later went to secondary school. Today I am a graduate of Public Administration from the University of Abuja,” she narrated.

Mohammed who emphasised the importance of educating not only the girl-child but young people in the society, added that such a move would curb crimes and social vices in the society.

She called on relevant government agencies and organisations to ensure that parents and caregivers were adequately sensitised on the need to allow young boys and girls to go to school.

“The crimes in society cannot stop until we give proper education to women and youths in the society.

“So, I call on relevant agencies to go into our communities and sensitise parents to allow their children, particularly the girl-child, to go school,” she advised.

She also admonished young people to go into meaningful ventures that would enable them to become self-reliant, rather than wait for white-collar jobs.

“One of my sons is today a farmer. His father was a former senator, minister and today a governor, yet he is doing farm business.

“Same goes to his sister who is into catering. I always encourage my children to be self-reliant, so I am I challenging all of you here today,” she advised.

(NAN)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/i-was-16-a-stark-illiterate-when-i-married-bauchi-gov-wife/amp/

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by GistMore1: 6:52am On Nov 10, 2019

1 Like

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by Monogamy: 6:53am On Nov 10, 2019
100 girls in a family.. If this one wasn't opportuned to marry her current husband, she might have ended up being Boko haram wives

140 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by daddytime(m): 7:12am On Nov 10, 2019
I for like dey your class to dey help you submit assignment.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by sweetonugbu: 7:47am On Nov 10, 2019
North is dragging this corn tree back

86 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by TooMuchStuff: 8:00am On Nov 10, 2019
sweetonugbu:
North is dragging this corn tree back
Since 777BC

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by Xisnin(m): 8:08am On Nov 10, 2019
A 16-year old that can neither read nor write.
What a tragedy.

It is time the government starts jailing irresponsible parents.

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by aolawale025: 8:13am On Nov 10, 2019
Education is never too late

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by ogbuefi677(m): 8:20am On Nov 10, 2019
Married at 16

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by Charleys: 8:24am On Nov 10, 2019
ogbuefi677:
Married at 16

Sweet sixteen... Nothing wrong there.

Modified: before you guys crucify me, the age of consent in the North is 12. That's why you see kids coming to vote you no know say na person wife be that (adult) wey don test 70 year old man's (let me stop there)

It's in the law so mods don't ban me, I don tire for Bans.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by Danwakae(m): 9:38am On Nov 10, 2019
Charleys:

Modified: before you guys crucify me, the age of consent in the North is 12.

12 years old for girls to get married is from the holy book, QURAN ... not a law in the north.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by contigiency(m): 9:43am On Nov 10, 2019
This woman fine no be small.

4 Likes

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by lonelydora: 11:07am On Nov 10, 2019
Can you imagine?

Is it not money she went for?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by Olamialphonso(m): 11:08am On Nov 10, 2019
shocked
Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by KEVIND: 11:09am On Nov 10, 2019
Kano Population: 18million
Number of Industries: 58
Number of Mosques: 435,389.
Number of Churches 674.
Number of Parentless wandering under-aged kids: 3.67million.
Number of Divorcee Women (including under 14): 857,443
Number of jobless youth: 3.8m.

- Kano State Bureau of Statistics (KSBS)

47 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by Myhusband(m): 11:09am On Nov 10, 2019
no wonder Book Haram war cannot finished in 1000yrs to come, imagine 100 girls in the family, so how many boys shocked

these northerners need thorough orientation about child birth, I suggest they castrate any northeners that is attempting to give birth after maximum of 5 kids

see as the husband she married save her life, many of her kind end up being a nonentity and lost. the evil against girl child in North, those that brought Islam to North and Nigeria won't go unpunished

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by mindful01: 11:09am On Nov 10, 2019
But Ngozi nd Jumoke are already disvirgin in their parents room

1 Like

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by phransix2: 11:10am On Nov 10, 2019
U can imagine...
And there are millions of girls up north who are/were not lucky as her...
There's plenty of work to be done in the North if Nigeria will ever want to be counted as leading nations

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by GEOANDSONS: 11:11am On Nov 10, 2019
tongue tongue tongue
Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by dam2000(m): 11:11am On Nov 10, 2019
Northerners

2 Likes

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by mrwonlasewonie: 11:11am On Nov 10, 2019
Hmnn
Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by jasmine1600: 11:11am On Nov 10, 2019
Na wao, this people are more than 70yrs behind the southerners.
Yet they have ruled more that every other tribe.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by kolafolabi(m): 11:14am On Nov 10, 2019
Very inspiring

2 Likes

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by amazon14: 11:14am On Nov 10, 2019
Charleys:

You will be ban again if you will not reason with your head.

So it's a law in the north not to send their girl child to school?

1 Like

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by jhames010(m): 11:14am On Nov 10, 2019
Eleyi loud gan...

Gather here if you didn't read and just assumed he was being lashed by his wife... grin grin grin
Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by toffyz(m): 11:14am On Nov 10, 2019
“We were 100 girls in our family; none went to school; I only started school after my third child,”

AFTER THIRD CHILD!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aishatu Mohammed: I Married As An Illiterate At 16 – Bauchi Governor's Wife by Ryan03(f): 11:15am On Nov 10, 2019
Charleys:

he be like say you don chop ban well well grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ned Nwoko: Peter Obi Will Be Better Suited As Minister Of Economy / Photos From Obidients' Rally In Yakurr LGA, Cross River / I Don't Know Who Can Challenge Us In 2027 – Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.