Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,186 members, 7,864,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 11:33 AM

Why Many Nigerians Will Still Remain Unemployed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Many Nigerians Will Still Remain Unemployed (712 Views)

Nigerians Will Soon Commend Jonathan For His Sincerity Of Purpose In Gov–dokpesi / Many Nigerians Drown En-route Spain – Bianca Ojukwu / How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Many Nigerians Will Still Remain Unemployed by pdone: 3:18pm On Nov 16, 2010
The issue of unemployment in Nigeria is growing day by day. Some said it is the fault of government, others blame it on poor management of the economy, which ever one you chose you might not be far from the truth. If you ask my opinion, I will say that the two main issues are; poor management and the lack of vision/insight.

By poor management, I am referring to the issue of lack of electricity and bad transportation. Many foreign investors won't consider Nigeria because of the electricity and transportation problem we are facing today. Any country that wants to compete in today's market know the important of electricity and good transportation system. If the government can provided electricity for the citizens, I strongly believe that a lot of people both young and old will be eager to do something meaning with their life. Life in Nigeria would have been a lot easy and cheaper if only the politicians can for once know the true meaning of being a leader. People always say that things are cheap in China but comparing products price of China and Nigeria is the same as comparing the products price of USA and China. One yuan(chinese currency) is almost 25naira. Why do they mention China as being cheap and not Nigeria?

I have asked myself over and over again why Nigeria has been suffering from power failure for more than 50years now. I have come to the conclusion that the reasons might be one of the following; our government might think that by providing a constant electricity to its citizen, they will lose a lot of money made from individuals using generator; the second reason might be that most foreign companies that produces generators might have a hand in what is happening to us today. It seems to me that most of their revenue comes from countries in Africa. Imagine if there is constant electricity today, don't you think that they will run out of business; the third reason might be that people selling those generators in Nigeria might have a hand in our problem by bribing the government. I may be wrong or right.

Taking a look at lack of vision/insight, I'm referring to people that have the money but they lack vision. In Nigeria today, some guys have more than 200m but doesn't know what to do with the money. Their vision are limited. They only know three things; buy a car, build a house, have children. I once over heard two friends talking. One was telling the other how a friend of his wants to give him the sum of 100m to do buying and selling business for him. The guy that wants to give him that money works in an office. He doesn't know what do with the money.

There is one funny thing that I have noticed about the Igbos. They are the most influential people in Nigeria but their power of insight/vision or investment is so limited. Most think in a linear way; first built a house in his village; second build a house in township; and third get a wife. Once you can achieved these things, then you are a really man. Go to Abuja, they own a lot of buildings, the same in Lagos, and Eastern part. Let's take the East as an example, the number of two-three-four storey buildings in Onitsha alone is great than the same building in Abuja. But only God knows the number of good hotel, entertainment centers they have there. I wonder if it is up to 10. If only the Igbos can channel the zeal they have for business to other business sectors, there will be a lot of jobs for youths.

As long as there is no constant electricity and good transportation, and the Igbos still focus on one type of business, jobs in Nigeria will still be limited.
Re: Why Many Nigerians Will Still Remain Unemployed by DapoBear(m): 3:33pm On Nov 16, 2010
That this country cannot generate electricity for itself is an absolute disgrace sad
Re: Why Many Nigerians Will Still Remain Unemployed by MaiSuya(m): 3:50pm On Nov 16, 2010
Nice piece.

I add would education as one of the major causes of employment.

There is one funny thing that I have noticed about the Igbos. They are the most influential people in Nigeria but their power of insight/vision or investment is so limited. Most think in a linear way; first built a house in his village; second build a house in township; and third get a wife.

I don't think this is restricted to the Igbos alone; its a general Nigerian problem.
Re: Why Many Nigerians Will Still Remain Unemployed by fuqua: 4:22pm On Nov 16, 2010
word!
Re: Why Many Nigerians Will Still Remain Unemployed by pdone: 11:38am On Nov 17, 2010
Mai Suya:

Nice piece.

I add would education as one of the major causes of employment.

I don't think this is restricted to the Igbos alone; its a general Nigerian problem.

The issue of education is also important. For example for people believe that juju or babalawo can make them become rich. You will start asking yourself what happen to their brain or don't they have one. I watch the video of how some Liberians drink blood and eat the heart of their enemy because they believe that by doing that they will become invisible to attack. Many of us read saw the videos and were laughing at them. But is it not what is happening when someone believe in all this gods, juju, babalawo.

Some brains need an update l swell.
Re: Why Many Nigerians Will Still Remain Unemployed by Shock(m): 12:13pm On Nov 17, 2010
Everything comes down to electricity, without it, a country is as good as dead
Re: Why Many Nigerians Will Still Remain Unemployed by MShittu: 12:17pm On Nov 17, 2010
@OP

I'm feelin you!!!!! Especially on the lack of insight part. Rich Nigerians seem to never try to help their communities, and its quite annoying.

(1) (Reply)

Where Is Obj / Temporary Partition Of Nigeria / Soludos Unanswered Questions On The Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.