Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,150 members, 7,815,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India (3812 Views)

Picture Of Young Sanusi, His Grand-dad , Bello And A British Diplomat / Gov. Obi Launches N300m Road Project In Onitsha. / South African Robbers Shoot At Nigerian Diplomat And Family In Pretoria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by DisGuy: 3:33am On May 24, 2007
B-Boy:

Exactly, who in their right mind attempts to carry $2m plus on a flight (in luggage, x-ray scanned) without declaring it? It is just pure and simple greed, they should have paid off the officials at the airport grin Serves him right - Diplomatic immunity ko!

have you seen that thread that says 99% blah blah blah wink
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by egoldman(m): 3:52am On May 24, 2007
Hello guys, i live in mumbai in India and i feel that i may know a bit more about this case than most people , so here is what i have to say ;
what the guy did was wrong , its pure crazy to carry such amount of money in cash , but plz dont forget the country involved here in the first place . Indians cant be trusted with anything that has to do with money , i say this from personal experience .
when this case first come up , the Indian press said its possible that this money was connected to the 2 or was it 3 Indians that are being held in Niger delta , but the Indian officials that intercepted the diplomat disputed this at once. why they did this i do not know , how they come to be sure that it was not meant for securing the release of those guys i don't know , or does anyone here think that ransom money like in the case of people kidnapped in Niger delta, are paid in and open and official ways ? even in Iraq and Afghanistan , ransom are paid by westerners to secure the release of their citizens and they never accepted that anyone was paid , but we all know that money exchanged hands b4 their citizens were released .
The second theory about the source of this money which i strongly suspect to be true is that , the high commission itself here may have inflated their budget and this guy was taking home for himself and some of the officials their share of the proceeds, we know the consulate guys here and we know this is very possible, but the indian officials didnt tow that line , though i don't expect them to , as all they would do is to give reasons why the money should be an Indian money .
The Indian officials said they suspect that the money was connected with the Nigerians drug syndicate operating in India, well this is nutting but a way of trying to see that the money is not returned to Nigerian government , for those that care to know , what you have in India as Nigerian drug dealers do not make such amount of money , ask anyone that has been here for sometime and they would confirm this for you , if this had happened in a place like London , the USA or Southafrrica or Columbia then such theory would hold water , but certainly not in india , but then this is a way of saying that the money would be their own .
in summary i have to say that i support the guy who said it would have been better if this guy was caught in Nigeria , so that the money would be kept with our government as we need every penny now , as for those that say he should be put into prison in india , well the immunity thing wont let that happen , they didn't arrest him as they don't have that power and they also don't have any power to try or prosecute him , the worst they would do is to ask Nigerian government that the captain be recalled .
i support that the guy be prosecuted now that he has traveled to Nigeria , but all the more i would like to know if the Indian officials would return the money to the Nigerian government , this am sure is where you would understand why am not happy that this money in their hands in the first place , you don't trust them with money , never .
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by Bobmanuel: 4:10am On May 24, 2007
we have forgotten that 80 percent of those who formed Obasanjo's government are fraudsters. we know all the yahoo and lagos boys. they will always be themselves. it could be that he performed his act in india and its no news to me. yaradual should try to use a lesser number of the 419 men. its not helping us
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by egoldman(m): 4:24am On May 24, 2007
We need that money back home and the captain should be prosecuted .
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by DisGuy: 4:33am On May 24, 2007
the money does not belong to the govt, I think they should stop giving us stolen money. if we can keep our stolen loot in our country. then they should seize it!!

if the person cant explain the source of the cash*
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by adconline(m): 6:38am On May 24, 2007
It’s our lack of decency that will make someone to carry such amount of money. We think that we are above the law. Didn’t Andy Uba and OBJ do the same thing in the US. Nigerian elites are lawless people, so they see law as a mere piece of legal document meant for the weak.

He should rot in jail. This is the kind of diplomats we produce. A diplomat who does not understand the law of his host country.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200705230433846
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by egoldman(m): 6:47am On May 24, 2007
adconline:

It’s our lack of decency that will make someone to carry such amount of money. We think that we are above the law. Didn’t Andy Uba and OBJ do the same thing in the US. Nigerian elites are lawless people, so they see law as a mere piece of legal document meant for the weak.

He should rot in jail. This is the kind of diplomats we produce. A diplomat who does not understand the law of his host country.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200705230433846

Yeah the captain should be prosecuted , but India should return the money to Nigerian government .
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by adconline(m): 6:56am On May 24, 2007
Yeah the captain should be prosecuted , but India should return the money to Nigerian government .
Only if the captain provides a verifiable source of his money
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by seun001(m): 8:18am On May 24, 2007
NA WA O!AM SURE HE HAS DOES THIS B4.AND SURELY HE IS A COURIER.

MAKE HIM OGAS TRY ASSIST AM, ABI

DONT UNDERSTAND Y NIGERIANS HAVE TO BE CAUGHT ON THE SAME OFFENCE AGAIN AND AGAIN ,ARE WE GOATS WEY NO THEY HEAR WORD EHN!!!THIS IS REALLY EMBARASSING AND TO THINK WE HAVE BEEN ARGUING OVER THIS SAME THING IN ANODA THREAD,ABEG!!!

AGAIN WHATEVER HAPPENED TO DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY.HOW THEM GO DEY XRAY DIPLOMATIC MATERIALS.ABI THE GUY NA DIPLOMAT ABI.AM SURE FOREINERS IN NAIJA WILL NOT PERMIT XRAYING THEIR LUGGAGES OOO!!!

THIS PEOPLE JUST DEY SPOIL NIGERIA OO JARE!

AND AGAIN WETIN CONCERN HIM BEING OF YORUBA LINAGE HUN, CHEERS
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by akara(m): 8:33am On May 24, 2007
Another Link to the same story. ,

http://allafrica.com/stories/200705230536.html

If this is happening in India, I wonder how many other diplomats are as we speak logging similar amounts accross the nations, be it in presidential jets or luggages.
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by Rottweiler(m): 9:23am On May 24, 2007
Whether you like the indians or not na your wahala. The issue is that a diplomat who, ordinarily should be above board, is found with such huge cash. The Indian government should keep the money.
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by chelsea4su(f): 10:37am On May 24, 2007
2 million dollars everyone want to become rich overnight
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by lakeside4love(m): 10:39am On May 24, 2007
Ole thief barawo
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by awoof(m): 10:54am On May 24, 2007
can this story be true? If it is the first stage of the investigation process is to take him to the nearest psychatric hospital to examine his head and like somebody rightly said such money could be proceeds from drug dealing or some other funny crimes.
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by tseye(m): 11:26am On May 24, 2007
undecidedno wa 4 dis guys ooooooooo, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm naija guys can neva learn hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by VIC4U: 12:39pm On May 24, 2007
It serves him right! grin sad grin grin
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by Rhea(f): 12:42pm On May 24, 2007
Another Nigerian making waves and setting a new Indian record. angry
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by Colonia(m): 12:58pm On May 24, 2007
This is last minute effort before the new government. I am sure there is more to the situation than we know as usual.
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by otokx(m): 1:01pm On May 24, 2007
Congratulations to our brothers in India who are now at least $2m richer.
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by locoman(m): 1:49pm On May 24, 2007
no bi only him get am, dem plenty.
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by Mamajama(m): 2:31pm On May 24, 2007
The Defence Headquarters, Abuja, may have waded into the arrest of a Nigerian diplomat, Captain G.A. Ojedokun, by the Indian Airport Authorities at the Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi, India.

Ojedokun, a defence attache at the Nigerian High Commission in India was arrested on Monday night for allegedly being in possession of $2.27m.

A reliable source at the Defence Headquarters told our correspondent that a board of inquiry had been constituted to investigate the development with a view to unravelling the circumstance behind the arrest of the officer.

The source, who spoke under condition of anonymity, said the military high command was interested in investigating the matter ”so as to uncover the whole truth.”

He said the incident was extensively discussed at a meeting held in DHQ on Wednesday.

Another source, however said the $2.27m was money duly approved by the Ministry of Defence for certain projects, earmarked for the Nigerian High Commission in India.

The senior officer said the money was part of the amount released for the unnamed project.

He said the project was initially meant to be carried out by a former defence attache (a Navy Captain), who is currently at the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies.

According to the source, ”Following the appointment of a new defence adviser, the cost of the project was reviewed downward.”

He said that through preliminary investigation and discussion with Ojedokun, ”we discovered that the officer was trying to return the money which is the balance of the original sum that was approved for the project.”

He, however, noted that problem arose because Ojedokun failed to declare the money as required by international practice.

He said the arrested Naval officer had since been released and that he had resumed duty in the Nigerian mission in India.

He said the incident was blown out of proportion simply because it involved a diplomat.

The Director of Defence Information, Col. Mohammed Yusuf, could not be reached for comment on the incident.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200705244193645
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by iice(f): 2:38pm On May 24, 2007
Great another one adding to the already bad rep we have! Sheesh.
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by angel101(f): 2:45pm On May 24, 2007
bringing the money home to who?
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by BlackMamba(m): 2:55pm On May 24, 2007

Another source, however said the $2.27m was money duly approved by the Ministry of Defence for certain projects, earmarked for the Nigerian High Commission in India. The senior officer said the money was part of the amount released for the unnamed project. He said the project was initially meant to be carried out by a former defence attache (a Navy Captain), who is currently at the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies. According to the source, ”Following the appointment of a new defence adviser, the cost of the project was reviewed downward.” He said that through preliminary investigation and discussion with Ojedokun, ”we discovered that the officer was trying to return the money which is the balance of the original sum that was approved for the project.” He, however, noted that problem arose because Ojedokun failed to declare the money as required by international practice. He said the incident was blown out of proportion simply because it involved a diplomat.

Where is the Nigerian press when you need them. Isn't there any news media in Naija with an atom of liver to investigate and publish the truth behind this high level corruption and the absurd official explanations? I guess if you try to be a champion, you may end up like Dele. Only in a dictatorship or country enveloped in apathy can a government official (unnamed) justify remitting funds in a carry-on luggage
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by angel101(f): 2:58pm On May 24, 2007
seun001:

AGAIN WHATEVER HAPPENED TO DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY.HOW THEM GO DEY XRAY DIPLOMATIC MATERIALS.ABI THE GUY NA DIPLOMAT ABI.AM SURE FOREINERS IN NAIJA WILL NOT PERMIT XRAYING THEIR LUGGAGES OOO!!!

there is no ciplomatic immunity for security my brother. and of course foreign diplomats are not subjected to xray because naija no get xray!
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by Mamajama(m): 4:04pm On May 24, 2007
The truth will come out, he has been arrested, and we are doing everything possible to get the details, be on the look out for my press conference. OBJ has nothing to do with this oh grin grin
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by Mamajama(m): 7:36pm On May 24, 2007
its so complicated, diplomats are not x rayed. that is one of their privileged, was this a tip off from someone?
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by Colonia(m): 9:15pm On May 24, 2007
MAMAJAMA:

The truth will come out, he has been arrested, and we are doing everything possible to get the details, be on the look out for my press conference. OBJ has nothing to do with this oh grin grin

I guess you gat it like that .Will  be looking out for the real 411.
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by onyekang1(f): 10:08am On May 25, 2007
[color=#990000][/color]Na waoh! May Chineke God help us
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by chidichris(m): 3:01pm On May 25, 2007
mamajama, i hope you know that nigerian presidential jet was used for money laundary into the usa.
Andy Uba and his oga were involved and part of the funds were traced to be used in buying farm equipments for baba farms.
so baba is involved so let everyone go ahead and rememebr it must be with baba's consent otherwise efcc will be very active
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by angel101(f): 3:37pm On May 25, 2007
True talk
Re: Nigerian Diplomat Caught With N300m In India by Mamajama(m): 3:45pm On May 25, 2007
speculation, presidents are under immunity and when they travel the use diplomatic passport, which gives them privilege to lots of things.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ribadu's Expensive Gamble / Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu's Surgery Successful In America / Nigeria Has The Oldest Fighter Jets In The World - Alex Badeh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.