Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,738 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants (12379 Views)

FG To Commence Work On Three Coal Power Plants / Cement Price Fall: Dangote To Construct Rail Lines / G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by jmaine: 10:11am On Nov 20, 2010
blakmonsta:

To those who say we should focus on the gas

Well you are correct: we are wasting a valuable resource. This is true.

For Nigeria, gas will surely be cheaper. And quicker to bring to fruition. I would support a gas project being given a higher priority

HOWEVER IN THE LONG TERM generating power from natural gas destroys the environment. You CANNOT attain first world status without the unbelievable efficiency and environment-friendliness of Nuclear. Even if the project takes 15 years to complete, let it begin.

saying we should not do it because you think Nigerians will leak radiation on themselves is just prejudiced and unproductive.

Not utilizing the gas being flayed = wastage = increase in green house gases = climate change = destroys or endangers the global environment,  with utilisation you can better reduce this effects and off course increase the average GDP of the nation

Nuclear though seems clean but still requires the use of fossil fuel during mining for it's mineral resource ( Uranium) and it also has environmental issues to grapple with as regards storage due to the nature of the waste. the only clean energy is hydrofuels and biofuels though not feasible on a large scale. what about our tropic clime with all the solar energy at our disposal. If we are to tow the line of clean energy which i fully support then i advice you check out this link and see for your self what kind of project we should be veering into such as the solar project in North Africa, a massive project that could supply Europe with 15% of her electricity.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/the-550-billion-solar-project-in-north-africa-a-reality-check/19104338/

http://cleantech.com/news/4603/german-firms-leads-massive-north-af
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by malabite: 11:00am On Nov 20, 2010
CLEANER ENERGY!!

1. Most people who have commented on this post said Nigeria should go for nuclear power plant because it is a source of cleaner energy. And my question is 'cleaner' as compared to what? What is the other source that Nigeria is implementing that is not clean?

2. People cite examples of UK and USA, etc. Those countries have other sources of generating energy, so they can  confidently rank and compare which is clean, cleaner or cleanest.

3. The surprising thing is that Nigeria has more resources than any of those countries;
- Sunlight: If UK sees the amount of sunlight that Nigeria see, they will delete the word nuclear from their dictionary, they don't even get 20% of our sunlight. In fact it is estimated that the energy from sunlight generated from Nigeria alone can power the whole of west Africa, not minding that other African countries also have the same level of sunlight

4. Hydroelectricity: Has Nigeria ever genuinely tried the hydro source? People have mentioned China, India and Brazil on this forum, as countries implementing nuclear energy, but the truth is that those countries did not abandon hydroelectricity for the 'cleaner' nuclear alternative. In fact they are continuously building and improving the hydro sources. In our case, it's either Kanji dam hasn't got enough water or it has got too much water

5. Biomass: this source is abundant in Nigeria and it's very renewable. Has Nigeria tries it? Whosai!! Brazil, USA, Germany and other countries are leading the way here

6.  Wind: All the countries mentioned so far in this forum generate energy through wind. I understand Britain will be doubling their capacity by 2014

7. Coal: Nigeria has this in abundance, though it is the dirtiest source (but it is far cleaner than I- pass-my-neighbour). Other countries have tried it and are still using it

8. Natural Gas: This source might not be clean, but is it cleaner to flare it? 50% of gas flaring in the world is carried out in Nigeria, haba!! It is waste, it is dangerous to the environment, it is dangerous to humans

9. Nuclear: This source demands the highest level of care and skill. Nigeria hasnt been able to manage its oil. Nigeria failed woefully in managing iron ore production, ID card, election, road network, rail systems, agriculture, education, healthcare/NHIS, housing, ENERGY, administration (corruption), etc. It was reported in 2008 that more than two million people in Plateau State/ Jos who live close to the abandoned mines were/are at risk from the harmful effects of the radioactive emissions from mining fields. I dont think that is how other countries abandon their disused mining fields.

10. In conclusion, Russian should help implement Nigeria's solar energy!!!
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by SapeleGuy: 11:13am On Nov 20, 2010
Malabite, thank you for exploring alternatives.

Nigeria has been behind for so long, with the choices available today why choose the back of the queue by opting for nuclear power?

Countries like India, Pakistan and Iran started their nuclear programmes between 30 and 50 years ago. After 50 years of nuclear power India still have power  blackouts but their nuclear weapons are battle ready - I think there is something in that.

Typical nuclear reactors can produce 20 to 30 tonnes of nuclear waste per year. For example Plutonium  can remain dangerous for as much as 10,000 years and radioactive for 240,000 years.

Where are you people proposing to put this waste? Aso Rock?

Why can Nigeria not be a technological trend setter for once?

Why are we not engaging in projects like desertec / the mediteranean solar project which are billed to generate 20 to 40 Gigawatts of clean energy.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Horus(m): 1:13pm On Nov 20, 2010
Is nuclear waste cleaner?
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by blakmonsta: 1:14pm On Nov 20, 2010
@malabite

Despite all you have said, Nuclear *is* the cleanest energy source.

coal, hydro, gas, all are dangerous to the environment. Solar, wind: in several years no-one has figured out how to reliably and efficiently generate energy from these sources. Biomass is cutting edge.

Look, Nuclear is the most efficient and cleanest energy source available. THAT is a FACT that cannot be distorted. The alternatives exist, but Nuclear is the BEST way to generate energy that we have today, period.

The beef on this forum is all these idiots saying Nigeria should not go for the best because 'we are rubbish people who cannot maintain anything'. Talk about self-loathing.

I said I would support gas in the short term, but it is DANGEROUS TO THE ENVIRONMENT EVEN WHEN USED PROPERLY. The chance of a leakage accident with a nuclear plant is low compared to the certainty of what you get from GAS.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 20, 2010
I am not worried about nuclear waste because Western Nuclear Powers will not even allow Nigeria to Keep it, since it can be used for onward processing for bombs. The technology the IAE will allow us will involve buying fuel rods that can be reprocessed at a price, and sending it to US or France for reprocessing when depleted. If ever we are to use our uranium, World Nuclear Powers will force us to sign an agreement to hand it over to them once the the most potent nuclear isotope reaches a certain percentage. But even that would mean that US and Friend will have to allow us enrich the Uranium to some extent, am sure they will not. The deal they offer other countries that have tried involve buying nuclear fuels from them.

@blakmonsta
I am not against Nigeria developing nuclear technology and aspiring for greatness, what I am against is Nigeria importing Nuclear technology using fire brigade style (Just like they are deceiving us importing space technology and telling us they are developing it) in our attempt to claim greatness.

Why because Nuclear Technology is so volatile that you do not just go and play around with it. Let me put it like this: you can import the latest Electronic Audi car and pretend our local mechanics will maintain and repair it. The worst that will happen is that the car will be spoilt and maybe an accident with one or two deaths. By the time the mechanics work on similar cars for the next two to four years they will learn something.

Then try that with importing the latest american or isreali cluster bomb, and pretend your military can always handle it. Each time they make a mistake they set off a cluster and kill loads of people. only thing here is that a Nuclear power plant is a thousand times more volatile than a cluster bomb, so one single accident will cost you everything. Nigeria is a country that could not store her cluster bombs safely within a military cantonment, Since that incidence I have seen nothing to convince me that we have changed.

I can understand Nigeria importing a lot of things to speed up, but I will not accept that when it come to nuclear technology, The most volatile and destructive force humans have ever discovered.

What is wrong with our starting with the construction and design of our own test nuclear reactors for labs, and maintaining them, and progressively build up the capacity to not only operate but also design and build a Nuclear power plant in the next 30 years. The Nuclear Reactor at ABU Zaria is an import, their is a very big difference in maintaining something you designed and maintaining something someone else designed.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by jmaine: 3:03pm On Nov 20, 2010
When people run out of ideas they resort to insults and to me it doesn't change the guy rather it exposes your kind.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by jmaine: 3:22pm On Nov 20, 2010
blakmonsta:

@malabite

coal, hydro, gas, all are dangerous to the environment. Solar, wind: in several years no-one has figured out how to reliably and efficiently generate energy from these sources. Biomass is cutting edge.

Look, Nuclear is the most efficient and cleanest energy source available. THAT is a FACT that cannot be distorted. The alternatives exist, but Nuclear is the BEST way to generate energy that we have today, period.

The beef on this forum is all these idiots saying Nigeria should not go for the best because 'we are rubbish people who cannot maintain anything'. Talk about self-loathing.

I said I would support gas in the short term, but it is [b]DANGEROUS TO THE ENVIRONMENT EVEN WHEN USED PROPERL[/b]Y. The chance of a leakage accident with a nuclear plant is low compared to the certainty of what you get from GAS.

Please expatiate on the boldened part, maybe i could get convinced by your arguments if it outweighs the dangers of a nuclear waste
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by jmaine: 3:30pm On Nov 20, 2010
Horus:

Is nuclear waste cleaner?

He simply avoided that important question you asked
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by rethink: 3:42pm On Nov 20, 2010
what I pray we build the nuclear reactor. I dare the militant or thievetant to blow it up. All of us will fry to hell or heaven. Any small thing Millitant. 6months training any Idiot would be better than militant.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by blakmonsta: 4:10pm On Nov 20, 2010
@Kengali

Your position is clearer and less incendiary now. If you have concerns about losses due to regulations and so forth, in the end the gains will offset those to a large extent. We can't reap the full benefits of Nuclear power, ever, because of the international situation, but when all is said and done it remains cost effective even if we are not allowed to use our own uranium.

I'm just saying dont be negative. If there are problems, dont let them block our adoption of the technology. Just let them be highlighted as stumbling blocks we must avoid. Thats the only way we can make progress! Dont run from danger, run towards opportunity.

@Jmaine

1) expantiating on the boldened part: read this page:

http://www.naturalgas.org/environment/naturalgas.asp

The page is actually pro-natural gas, arguing that it has the lowest carbon footprint of fossil fuels, thus demonstrating that it does indeed contribute to the greenhouse effect and other dangerous emissions. Consider that the primary component of natural gas duel, methane, is itself the principal greenhouse gas. I wont argue that that in itself leads to pollution (that is as senseless as arguing that nuclear power leads to radiation pollution) but it should make the bone of contention a moot point

2) When people run out of ideas they resort to insults

The only insulting quote i made is:

"beef on this forum is all these idiots saying Nigeria should not go for the best because 'we are rubbish people who cannot maintain anything'. Talk about self-loathing."

And i stand by that. If you believe that we are rubbish people who cannot maintain anything then you, sir, are an Idiota. With a capital, bold and italic on the I. Hence, [i]I[/i]diot

3) Is nuclear waste cleaner?

Cleaner than what? You wan take am baff? Take time o. Dont be asking questions like dis. Trying to derail the conversation into off-points. Go and read up on nuclear waste disposal procedures and standards.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 20, 2010
Reference said:

Haba pessimists. We only need to google up the number of nuclear plants worldwide viz the number of incidents. Very few indeed. Some of you sound like that old school daddy that won't let his college son near his car keys. How will the lad grow up. Guys lighten up. When you go nuclear the world pays attention and things change. It imposes its culture, all manner of certifications and inspection regimes to drive you nuts. Heck the IAEA will set up shop right there. And I bet you the first sign of trouble will trigger a global response. Who no fear fear. When you bring a ferocious dog into the neighbourhood people will thread with caution. Ineptitude, nepotism and graft go waka with eye for back. It maybe the one thing that would change the industrial/technological landscape of this country.

Thank you jare. Left to these people we wouldn't even have tarred roads in Nigeria today.

Their logic would be, ''when you cannot maintain the bush paths you want to build tarred road, let us learn how to maintain the bush paths first!!''

I even used Nigeria's Category 1 rating by the US as an example of Nigerian competence and efficiency, and then they said that was due to ''private operators and airlines'', not the government. I mean, how ignorant can you get?

Since when did private airlines become responsible for security of our airspace, radar facilities, navigation aids, aircraft inspection, maintenance oversight, landing facilities, air-traffic control, and other mechanisms for ensuring air safety??

Some people would rather hang themselves with a rope than give an ounce of credit to the Nigerian government, even where such is warranted, something I consider highly ignorant and pathetic.

Sometimes I don't even blame the govt officials for their corruption - why bother bursting your nut for a bunch of ingrates who would spit at your work however well you did it?
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by malabite: 6:28pm On Nov 20, 2010
blakmonsta:

@malabite

I said I would support gas in the short term, but it is DANGEROUS TO THE ENVIRONMENT EVEN WHEN USED PROPERLY. The chance of a leakage accident with a nuclear plant is low compared to the certainty of what you get from GAS.

Tell me why you are against generating power through natural gas? Is is more dangerous to burn gas in open field all over Niger Delta, than to use it to generate electricity and sell the excess to other countries? The international community has cried out several times against gas flaring to stop in the Niger Delta, even a Nigerian High Court recently ruled that it is illegal to flare gas in Nigeria. It does more damage than nuclear waste and other dangers put together. Why are we wasting resources in Nigeria? If we don't need the gas why can't we leave it for the future generation? If we can't efficiently manage the resources we have given to us free of charge and in abundance by God, how can we manage the one bought from Russia?
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by jmaine: 7:15pm On Nov 20, 2010
@ Blackmonsta, all i saw in your post was unnecessary tirade and you refused to do justice to the definition of nuclear being cleaner and safer than natural gas on the long run. No need to join you in calling names as that will place me in the same stead with you but in all you don't seem to understand the environmental implication of going nuclear in the long term as regards adequate storage and disposal. don't you all understand the principle of matching the right technology to suit your environment and level of expertise in order to maximize the resources you have for optimum results and productivity, it's like replacing your Honda or your toyota  to purchase a Porsche automobile without taking into consideration the state of the roads and the car support maintenance you have in the country. it's just a shame that contrary views with adequate points to back up the arguments are being watered down in the name of harboring pessimistic inclination. To me that is very poor. Wish you all the best.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by SapeleGuy: 7:32pm On Nov 20, 2010
Government pikin make una no vex. Dora would be very proud. Abuja is clearly the best place for this project and we will be more than happy to use the resulting electricity in Sapele wink

Country to Generate Nuclear Electricity By 2019

Fidelis Mac-Leva

14 June 2010

Nigeria will commence electricity generation through nuclear energy by 2019 with an initial capacity of 1,000MW, the Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission(NAEC) has said.

Director General and chief executive of NAEC, Dr. Erepamo Osaisai, made this known when he received the House of Representatives committee on science and Technology on a visit to the[b] Nuclear Technology Centre, Sheda, near Abuja.[/b]

Osaisai who conducted the visitors round some ongoing nuclear projects at the Nuclear Technology Centre said an additional capacity of 400MW would be generated by 2019 through the nuclear energy programme of the federal government.

Among the projects inspected were a multi-purpose researcher's hostel which was awarded at the cost of N482m and the one for the construction of low and intermediate radioactive waste storage facility which was awarded at the cost of N40mi.

"All things being equal, Nigeria will generate 1000MW of nuclear electricity by 2019 and an additional capacity of 400MW ten years thereafter", Osaisai said stressing that NAEC had commenced full implementation of the National Strategic Programme put in place by the federal government for nuclear power generation.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by OmoTier1(m): 8:16pm On Nov 20, 2010
For those clamouring for Gas to Light as a way of solving Nigeria's electricity problems, hope you guys are taking into account the cost of gas say by 2005 and beyond? No doubt we can generate lots of electricity from te abundant gas reserve Nigeria has again we have to realised that once we have stable electricity more industries will spring up and vast majority of these companies will using gas to power their machineries!

As for the location of the Nuclear reactors, I my own opinion, the following states would be suitabe locations

1. Cross River - Due to easy access from the high sea and available mountain range (Bakassi Penisula a possible site) - Risk level Low to Medium
2. Awka-Ibom - Due to easy access from the high sea and it is a fringe state too -Risk level low to medium
3. Adamawa - A boarder state with vast landmass, close proximity to and already existing national grid and sub-station -Risk level: Low to Medium
4. Sokoto - A boarder state with vast landmass, close proximity to and already existing national grid and sub-station -Risk level: Low to Medium
5. Pleatue - A mountain range, already a host state to national grid and sub-stations - Risk level : Low to Medium
6. Lagos -Island - A remote location with good security,easy acess from the high sea, already a host of base stations, national grid - Risk level: Medium to High
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 20, 2010
KenGali:

I am not against Nigeria developing nuclear technology and aspiring for greatness, what I am against is Nigeria importing Nuclear technology using fire brigade style (Just like they are deceiving us importing space technology and telling us they are developing it) in our attempt to claim greatness.

Why because Nuclear Technology is so volatile that you do not just go and play around with it. Let me put it like this: you can import the latest Electronic Audi car and pretend our local mechanics will maintain and repair it. The worst that will happen is that the car will be spoilt and maybe an accident with one or two deaths. By the time the mechanics work on similar cars for the next two to four years they will learn something.
KENGALI Kengali just shut up and stop these highly inciting but ignorant posts!
Pray what is so incendiary about a nuclear reactor? Anyone would think that Nigeria had designs to build a nuclear bomb the way you are just misjiving there.
What a nuclear reactor does is take advantage of the enormous potential energy that exists in a nucleus of a Uranium-235 isotope.
It is the fission or splitting of the uranium nucleus that releases other nucleons that can trigger more fissions suggesting the possibility of a chain reaction.
BUT and it is a big but, the chain reaction may be made to proceed slowly and in a controlled manner in a nuclear reactor, as opposed to the case of a bomb when the chain reaction proceeds explosively.
How so? Well in a nuclear reactor the higher energy neutrons are slowed by collisions with the nuclei in the surrounding material called the MODERATOR. 
This increases the probability of further fissions meaning greater efficiency.
In fact fission liberates about 200 Mega electron volts per atom(!!!) which gives lie to your other myth which purports that the whole thing is just a glorified uraniuum oxide  burning affair which in fact would just release 11 electron volts per atom.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 20, 2010
malabite:

Tell me why you are against generating power through natural gas? Is is more dangerous to burn gas in open field all over Niger Delta, than to use it to generate electricity and sell the excess to other countries? The international community has cried out several times against gas flaring to stop in the Niger Delta, even a Nigerian High Court recently ruled that it is illegal to flare gas in Nigeria. It does more damage than nuclear waste and other dangers put together. Why are we wasting resources in Nigeria? If we don't need the gas why can't we leave it for the future generation? If we can't efficiently manage the resources we have given to us free of charge and in abundance by God, how can we manage the one bought from Russia?
Just shut up and stop injecting your evil militant support position into this business decision. And why exactly should Nigeria continue to rely on hydrocarbons via building more thermal gas staions  when there are cheaper and more efficient alternatives.
If you want to talk about your Niger Delta struggle why not open a thread for that? MUST YOU POST INCENDIARY NONSENSE HERE?
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 9:08pm On Nov 20, 2010
tensor777:

KENGALI Kengali just shut up and stop these highly inciting but ignorant posts!
Pray what is so incendiary about a nuclear reactor? Anyone would think that Nigeria had designs to build a nuclear bomb the way you are just misjiving there.
What a nuclear reactor does is take advantage of the enormous potential energy that exists in a nucleus of a Uranium-235 isotope.
It is the fission or splitting of the uranium nucleus that releases other fissions suggesting the possibility of a chain reaction.
BUT and it is a big but, the chain reaction may be made to proceed slowlyand in a controlled manner in a nuclear reactor, as opposed to the case of a bomb when the chain reaction proceeds explosively.
How so? Well in a nuclear reactor the higher energy neutrons are slowed by collisions with the nuclei in the surrounding material called the MODERATOR. 
This increases the probability of further fissions meaning greater efficiency.
In fact fission liberates about 200 Mega electron volt per atom(!!!) which gives lie to your other myth which puports that the whole thing is just a glorified uraniuum oxide  burning affair which in fact would just release 11 electron volts per atom.

Are you Ok at all? I think you need to see a doctor.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Horus(m): 9:10pm On Nov 20, 2010
Where will you store your nuclear waste?.  No one wants it stored near them in Nigeria. According to a report from the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, it will take 3 million years for radioactive waste stored in the United States as of 1983 to decay to background levels. In addition, storing so much waste is a major technological challenge.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 9:17pm On Nov 20, 2010
KenGali:

Are you Ok at all? I think you need to see a doctor.
I said you should shut up. Who cares about your ignorant pessimism ?
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 20, 2010
Horus:

Where will you store your nuclear waste?.  No one wants it stored near them in Nigeria. According to a report from the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, it will take 3 million years for radioactive waste stored in the United States as of 1983 to decay to background levels. In addition, storing so much waste is a major technological challenge.
Where do other countries store their waste? I am sure the management have made suitable plans for that.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 20, 2010
Do you know that tiny Croatia, a highly corrupt nation with less than 5 million people and recovering from civil war, has a nuclear plant currently operational?

And someone is going to tell me here that Nigeria is ''not ready'' for this??

In fact sometimes I wonder what I'm doing on this site!  undecided
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Horus(m): 9:53pm On Nov 20, 2010
Given that radioactivity from nuclear waste can directly impacts Nigerian citizens' health, it becomes a fundamental right of Nigerians to know what risks such activities pose to them. If there are dumping sites in Nigeria near a population centre, the activity can seep into ground water and make it unusable. If the leaching ponds containing the effluents of a milling and leaching plant are not covered in water, the dumped waste can dry up and gets blown all over by winds. Nobody in the world, nobody, knows what to do with this nuclear waste. Hundreds of thousands of tons of this American nuclear waste is just lying in protective enclosures around the world. Nobody has found a safe way to dispose off this waste. Reactor accidents of the kind of Chernobyl can spew a large amount of such waste into the environment over thousands of square kilometers around the accident site, causing extensive loss of life and agriculture.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 20, 2010
As a matter of fact the catastrophe of April 26 1986 at Chernobyl reactor No 4 in Ukraine resulted from a combination of:-

1[b] an inherently unstable design[/b]

2 several human errors committed during a single test of the emergency core cooling system.

Too many control rods were withdrawn to compensate for a decrease in power caused by an undesirable  build up of neutron absorbers such as the Xenon-135 isotope.
However this did result in gross over compensation in the power level making it rise from 1% of normal, to normal, to 100 times normal, in just 4 seconds!
This increase in kinetic energy caused a steam explosion which ruptured pipes in the vital core cooling system and even blew the heavy concrete(??!!) cover off the reactor,
The radioactive graphite reactor core caught fire and burned for several days and there was a total meltdown in the core threreby releasing a large quatity of radioactive material into the atmosphere.

HOWEVER, nuclear reactors are no longer designed in such an inherently deficient manner and are all subject to the tests, inspections, and safety measures of the IAEA.
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by ezeagu(m): 10:10pm On Nov 20, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Do you know that tiny Croatia, a highly corrupt nation with less than 5 million people and recovering from civil war, has a nuclear plant currently operational?

And someone is going to tell me here that Nigeria is ''not ready'' for this??

In fact sometimes I wonder what I'm doing on this site!  undecided

If you're going to compare Nigeria to Croatia, I expect you to match these pictures of Zagreb with something similar from Abuja:

[center][img]http://www.novi-zagreb.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/zagreb31.jpg[/img][img]http://iguide.travel/photos/Zagreb-3.jpg[/img][/center]
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Horus(m): 10:16pm On Nov 20, 2010
We still dont know where will you store your nuclear waste?
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by jmaine: 10:33pm On Nov 20, 2010
Horus:

Given that radioactivity from nuclear waste can directly impacts Nigerian citizens' health, it becomes a fundamental right of Nigerians to know what risks such activities pose to them. If there are dumping sites in Nigeria near a population centre, the activity can seep into ground water and make it unusable. If the leaching ponds containing the effluents of a milling and leaching plant are not covered in water, the dumped waste can dry up and gets blown all over by winds. Nobody in the world, nobody, knows what to do with this nuclear waste. Hundreds of thousands of tons of this American nuclear waste is just lying in protective enclosures around the world. Nobody has found a safe way to dispose off this waste. Reactor accidents of the kind of Chernobyl can spew a large amount of such waste into the environment over thousands of square kilometers around the accident site, causing extensive loss of life and agriculture.

bro you could never be more spot on than this. here is a professional who fully understands the environmental impacts of nuclear technology the above emboldened part better highlight why we should be concerned . Are we not suppose to learn from their mistakes ? Do we need to share in their headache, pain and worries ? maybe your the type that will say take it to the deep sea and bury.

tensor777:

Where do other countries store their waste? I am sure the management have made suitable plans for that.

Am confounded by your naivety in this topic.you all dodge the simple question of what will you do with the waste that accrues from the reactor. The developed countries your in a haste to emulate blindly haven't got a solution to that yet.  now please don't give me that cheap pessimist line of yours.

tensor777:

Just shut up and stop injecting your evil militant support position into this business decision. And why exactly should Nigeria continue to rely hydrocarbons via building more thermal gas staions  when there are cheaper and more efficient alternatives.
If you want to talk about your Niger Delta struggle why not open a thread for that? MUST YOU POST INCENDIARY NONSENSE HERE?

Chill bruv, your taking this discussion too personal.you need to drink a glass of water to cool your nerves tongue
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 10:40pm On Nov 20, 2010
jmaine:

Am confounded by your naivety in this topic.you all dodge the simple question of what will you do with the waste that accrues from the reactor. The developed countries your in a haste to emulate blindly haven't got a solution to that yet.  now please don't give me that cheap pessimist line of yours.
Then shut up. angry Do you think I care about your jaundiced opinion. Just imagine the sort of question you are asking in the 21st century. Where have other countries been storing their spent fuel and control rods?
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 10:44pm On Nov 20, 2010
ezeagu said:

If you're going to compare Nigeria to Croatia, I expect you to match these pictures of Zagreb with something similar from Abuja:

What, a rail line?

Would it make you support the nuclear power plant if a RAIL LINE had been built in Abuja?

And that picture of Zaghreb you posted is ludicrous.

What are you trying to say with that? Is Abuja not a great city in its own right or you want me to post nice pictures from there too?

Oh, and as we speak, there's a billion dollar mass transit  rail project currently under construction in Abuja, so we'll soon have such pictures to post on NL.

In the meantime, the nuclear plant will be constructed as scheduled.  cool
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by Nobody: 11:07pm On Nov 20, 2010
jmaine:

Nuclear though seems clean[b] but still requires the use of fossil fuel during mining for it's mineral resource ( Uranium)[/b] and it also has environmental issues to grapple with as regards storage due to the nature of the waste. the only clean energy is hydrofuels and biofuels though not feasible on a large scale. what about our tropic clime with all the solar energy at our disposal. If we are to tow the line of clean energy which i fully support then i advice you check out this link and see for your self what kind of project we should be veering into such as the  solar project in North Africa, a massive project that could supply Europe with 15% of her electricity.
You need to stop spewing ignorance and properly carry out research before posting here.
A nuclear reactor is not a glorified uranium-fired power station!!!
When uranium is burned to make uranium oxide in the chemical reaction-- U +  2O  -- U(2O) the heat of combustion is about 4500 Joules per gram. This is a meagre 11 electron volts per uranium atom.
On the other hand nuclear fission liberates about 200, 000, 000 electron volts per atom, that is nearly 20 million times as much energy!!
Re: Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants by ezeagu(m): 11:13pm On Nov 20, 2010
ROSSIKE:

ezeagu said:

What, a rail line?

Would it make you support the nuclear power plant if a RAIL LINE had been built in Abuja?

Yes, show me where Nigeria can carry out simple city organization.

ROSSIKE:

And that picture of Zaghreb you posted is ludicrous.

English.

ROSSIKE:

What are you trying to say with that? Is Abuja not a great city in its own right or you want me to post nice pictures from there too?

Yes, please post a picture of Abuja's railway with a train like that and organisation like that, and also post its greatly organised tram and bus transport system.

ROSSIKE:

Oh, and as we speak, there's a billion dollar mass transit  rail project currently under construction in Abuja, so we'll soon have such pictures to post on NL.

Is it light rail? smiley And is it the same trains that were posted here before that looked like they were made to carry coal in 1970 instead of humans in 2010? smiley

ROSSIKE:

In the meantime, the nuclear plant will be constructed as scheduled.  cool

Let's hope it's not handled like PHCN, because Nigerians can fail at maintaining everything except a nuclear power plant. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Who Knows About Revenuevault.com / Igbos And Hausas Who Are Richer / Verify Paypal From Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.