Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,231 members, 7,836,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

"Got Ta Go!" - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / "Got Ta Go!" (722 Views)

Poll: Should a man/woman dispose of items that belonged to their exs when they are in a new relationship?

Yes: 50% (2 votes)
Depends: 50% (2 votes)
No: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Yan'uwana Mata Ga Tips Da Ya Kamata Kowace Mace Ta Sani Tayi Aiki Dasu !!! / For Those Who Understand Hausa: <<gawata Tambaya Ta>> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Got Ta Go!" by Nobody: 1:37am On Nov 20, 2010
I am currently watching an episode of the Jamie Foxx show entitled "Mr. Bo-Jingles". This episode begins with Jamie getting upset that his girl (Fancy) still has items/gifts given to her by her ex-fiance. SO. . .

IF your new lover still has/had items such as clothing, furniture, pictures; etc that either belonged to or was given to them by their ex-lovers would you prefer that they got rid of them? Why or why not?
Re: "Got Ta Go!" by Dsense(m): 1:52am On Nov 20, 2010
I would ask her getting rid of them indirectly!!
Re: "Got Ta Go!" by Nobody: 2:44am On Nov 20, 2010
I am not sure how I feel about it. Like what if their ex passed away I couldn't see myself telling them to "get over it" but I do not want them carrying the picture everywhere WE go either. IDK undecided

I guess I am a jealous person tho. so i may prefer for my dude to get rid of it/them. *sighs*
Re: "Got Ta Go!" by iice(f): 4:01am On Nov 20, 2010
No. We can use the things, whatever can be used. If it can't be used, give it away.
Re: "Got Ta Go!" by mykali(m): 4:30am On Nov 20, 2010
Why would she still wanna keep something that would always remind her of the Ex. ? She should be rid of them

Anyways, it really depends on the type of break up, like If he was caught cheating, then she would definitely be throwing his things into the Lagoon.
Re: "Got Ta Go!" by vivaladiva(f): 4:56am On Nov 20, 2010
actually i dont see wat the big deal is----in my short life ive learnt that unecessary sentiments and emotions cause people to take irrational decisions---esp when its a new rel----
my current bf ----was so touchy about my ex----he made me get rid of his pics, his shirts and a gold chain he gave to me--i tried to explain that they were just things---but the nagging didnt stop so i got rid of the things because i dint want him to think i was still carrying a torch for my ex---

i completely understood where he was coming from but throwing away those things didnt help me at all---cos i cldnt erase his memory from my brain just like that ---this was someone i lived and worked  with for 4 years , it took a lot more than getting rid of a few poxy pictures to completely make peace with myself and the relationship---i physically walked out on the relationship but menatlly i was trapped between the old and the new----in time, pics, gifts bcome the artifacts of ur life----a record of where uve been--- nothing more really

i still got a whole bunch of things from that relationship---because it wldnt have made economic sense to get rid of them except of cos my new boyfriend was going to replace them---they were things i worked hard for--- they just happens to be from a prev relationship---

in hindsight i realise he was just being insecure n very immature----and i was imature too, becaused i endorsed his irrational behaviour by getting rid of somethings----in a nut shell---i liken destroying things from ur past relation to destroying ur history----good or bad i am all the men i have ever dated---all the friends i have ever had etc ---i didnt just get here---it was a journey and still is a journey---i wld never make the same mistakes i made then
Re: "Got Ta Go!" by mykali(m): 5:22am On Nov 20, 2010
vivaladiva:

actually i dont see wat the big deal is----in my short life ive learnt that unecessary sentiments and emotions cause people to take irrational decisions---esp when its a new rel----
my current bf ----was so touchy about my ex----he made me get rid of his pics, his shirts and a gold chain he gave to me--i tried to explain that they were just things---but the nagging didnt stop so i got rid of the things because i dint want him to think i was still carrying a torch for my ex---

i completely understood where he was coming from but throwing away those things didnt help me at all---cos i cldnt erase his memory from my brain just like that ---this was someone i lived and worked  with for 4 years , it took a lot more than getting rid of a few poxy pictures to completely make peace with myself and the relationship---i physically walked out on the relationship but menatlly i was trapped between the old and the new----in time, pics, gifts bcome the artifacts of your life----a record of where uve been--- nothing more really

i still got a whole bunch of things from that relationship---because it wldnt have made economic sense to get rid of them except of cos my new boyfriend was going to replace them---they were things i worked hard for--- they just happens to be from a prev relationship---

in hindsight i realise he was just being insecure n very immature----and i was imature too, becaused i endorsed his irrational behaviour by getting rid of somethings----in a nut shell---i liken destroying things from your past relation to destroying your history----good or bad i am all the men i have ever dated---all the friends i have ever had etc ---i didnt just get here---it was a journey and still is a journey---i wld never make the same mistakes i made then

Nice Speech. I kinda agree with that part a bit.
Re: "Got Ta Go!" by freecocoa(f): 10:52am On Nov 20, 2010
Like someone already said it depends on the type of breakup and items involved,if he cheated i'll burn his pictures and anyorther petty item,but i'll keep any expensive item he owned.
Re: "Got Ta Go!" by Ifedisky(m): 11:04am On Nov 20, 2010
it'll be dense to wave my exes gifts in front of the incumbent,,, ditto her's at me. Those totems must go, absolutely.
Re: "Got Ta Go!" by james1(m): 11:04am On Nov 20, 2010
I concurr on vivas position.that is just it.

(1) (Reply)

Hug Or Kiss ؟ / What Does It Mean To Be In Love To The Extent Of Marriage? / Broken Hand Better Than Broken Heart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.