Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,422 members, 7,861,183 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:11 AM

Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) (31978 Views)

The Underground Drainage Tunnel In Port-Harcourt Road, Aba (Pictures) / The Longest & Largest Drainage System In Akwa Ibom Nears Completion (Pictures) / Kenyan Government Clears Blocked Drainage Ahead Of The Rainy Season (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by ZooOga: 11:05pm On Nov 21, 2019
NASS should design a convict work release program to lessen dere sentences. I'm guessing all of Lagos could be completely sanitised in a matter of weeks depending on a well crafted set of rules.

Prisoners should work in chain-gangs to clear rubbish, says Tory MP

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/rowena-mason/9190918/Prisoners-should-work-in-chain-gangs-to-clear-rubbish-says-Tory-MP.html
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by Lampass(m): 11:22pm On Nov 21, 2019
The Lagos government should impose limited ban on use of plastics and polythene bags, it should also create sanitation days or even hours, it should wage war against indiscipline and open defecation, it will bring some level of sanity. The situation is embarrassing
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by Germi9: 11:23pm On Nov 21, 2019
Lagos dirty Sha...stinks

1 Like

Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 11:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
Lagos was cleaner under Fashola's government. Ambode ruined everything and Mr Pointus Pilate-Sanwoolu is following in his stead.
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by RexTramadol1: 11:33pm On Nov 21, 2019
After all it's not Ambo's fault
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by adenigga(m): 11:37pm On Nov 21, 2019
seankafor:
Watch fools blame government on this one too.

Must anyone need policing to do basic things right?

Yes, peoples needs to be policed, or else we will find ourselves in the state of nature.

That is one of the reason for having Government.
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by lukui: 11:37pm On Nov 21, 2019
if the streets of Makkah were neat and pleasing to the eyes, it's someone that is cleaning them.

will we import a contractor or Chinese to sweep Lagos?
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by YorubaNinja: 11:41pm On Nov 21, 2019
larry90500:
Bros enter Ikeja computer village. From Obafemi Awolowo way to Allen, na dirty full the whole drainage system.. Lagos is polluted mehn

We all know the usual culprits... grin
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by mikelc007: 11:58pm On Nov 21, 2019
Wait is this Lagos?

I thought it was Aba.... Aba drainage dey learn work for this one oooo
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by babasolution: 12:18am On Nov 22, 2019
lagos is a cesspool of filth,a very disgusting state,what surprises me,is that many people dont even care,you will see people,eating,sitting all day very close to filth,inhaling the putrid smell and seeing the eyesore all day,everyday,even big men that supposed to talk will not talk,the whole place is a mess,the media arent even concerned about things like this

2 Likes

Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by chloride6: 1:47am On Nov 22, 2019
NiCurious:
Would it be so very difficult to install grating over top of the drainages, to keep rubbish out, and let rainwater in? That would also eliminate the hazard of tripping and falling in, on a dark night.

Next step, impose a deposit on reusable plastic bottles, payable at purchase, refundable on return...imagine all those bottles disappearing from the streets, like magic!

No need for tax..

Just ban plastic bottles and get everyone switch to glass.

Ban styrofoam, nylon and let everyone use biodegradable paper bags.

1 Like

Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 2:32am On Nov 22, 2019
most cities in nigeria have no good waste disposal hence many residents don turn gutter into dustbin.in benin city for example when rain dey fall thats when u see residents throwing rubbish into the gutter sad.many cities in nigeria just look like urban slums sad.we nigerians we too like dirty abeg.
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 2:34am On Nov 22, 2019
Treasure17:
Environmental laws are there but they won't enforce it. People just dump refuse anyhow with impunity. Even major roads are not exempted and you begin to wonder if there are rules and regulations against this ridiculous act.
even in residential houses as well.some ppl will make heaps of rubbish in front of their houses and the thing will be giving offensive odour all over the place.i dont even want to mention our markets..dat one na eyesour lipsrsealed.
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 2:37am On Nov 22, 2019
chiboyo:
More dirt for Joe Igbokwe to clear!!

These same people that litter the streets and gutters would behave themselves once they are in developed countries and would never try such..

Asymptomatic of bad leadership!
because in the developed world if u throw dirty anyhow either u pay fine and if u refuse to pay the fine u go to jail.

1 Like

Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by NiCurious: 3:37am On Nov 22, 2019
chloride6:

No need for tax..

Just ban plastic bottles and get everyone switch to glass.

Ban styrofoam, nylon and let everyone use biodegradable paper bags.

In Kenya, they've banned plastic shopping bags. I haven't checked lately how that is going, but before the ban, the bags were called "Kenya's national flower". The plastics manufacturers were not happy, but it spurred regrowth in traditional industries such as basket weaving, giving village ladies new purpose for their skills.

Paper bags, market baskets...once upon a time before plastic, people had the foresight to bring something in which to carry their market purchases. Can we not return to that not-so-high technology?

But in the meantime...and I'm not in the plastics industry, so I don't know the feasibility of this...supposing I was wanting to make plastic products. Could I not offer money for a bagful of discarded plastic bottles, as raw material? There is so very much plastic lying around, in the way, blocking drains, being ugly...those having no source of income, might collect these already discarded bottles and bring it to my plant, or to my collection place, and be paid for same. The public nuisance of plastic rubbish in the streets would be cleaned up, someone would see a little profit from what they can pick off the ground, and I would have raw materials brought to my door.

Nigeria has a trash problem. So long as there is plastic in circulation, it would make sense to impose a deposit, and then it would have refund value, for the person bringing it back. If not for the purchaser, then for the gleaner.

We are able to carry the bottle when it is full. Somehow, when it becomes empty, it is suddenly heavy.... I know it is not glamorous to pick trash. But we all need to learn respect for those who deal with that which we find distasteful, on our behalf. Either that, or we need to take responsibility for all aspects of our life, ourselves, and not throw waste to become a hazard and a nuisance.

2 Likes

Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by samdede(m): 4:05am On Nov 22, 2019
Let's keep Lagos clean, everyone will start blaming the government. Those refuse were dumped by Lagosians.
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by Dionysus22(m): 5:05am On Nov 22, 2019
Why are we still building open drainages in our major cites in this 2st century? We no dey learn? When we go start dey build underground drainage systems?
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by xaggar(m): 5:05am On Nov 22, 2019
technuel:
Autojosh you went and snapped inside town and you are calling this dirt please just go to Lagos Badagry road by Iyana Iba down to Okokomaiko and see where human beings are living in Lagos. Honestly speaking once my online business starts generating atleast 200k per month for me, I am off Lagos. The City is just too stressful to live in. Just yesterday I have to trek a very long distance because Okada and even busses we're we're stuck up in a messy traffic.

I left the iyana iba (iba estate, behind LASU) area you just described since 2005 to Delta State. That area was a traffic nightmare way back. I had to wake up as early as 4.30am - 5am to beat the Volks/barrack area traffic, agboju traffic, then apapa road traffic just to get to office (alumaco) before 8am everyday. Upon my return from nysc (@ ebonyi state) i left Lagos. It was just over populated and unnecessarily stressful. That area was just soooo over populated, you couldn't walk with straight shoulders at the iyana iba bus stop. You had to bend and tilt your shoulders to avoid brushing other pedestrians etc.

Visited the same area some years ago and it was still like that! Mennn!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by seemegold: 5:42am On Nov 22, 2019
lagos is too dirty
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by TonySpike: 6:10am On Nov 22, 2019
Open drainage should be banned in Nigeria. If destroys the aesthetics of our cities!
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by Caseless: 6:57am On Nov 22, 2019
Lagos is dirty and the people are dirty.
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by Caseless: 7:01am On Nov 22, 2019
seemegold:
lagos is too dirty
that place is one of the dirtiest place on earth.

If not Lagos, where on earth do a government locate a refuse dump site in a town fully populated?

I just don't like Lagos. Look at that bus terminal Ambode built at Oshodi- it's already dirty and looking old before it's even put to much use.

1 Like

Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by misterjosh(m): 7:10am On Nov 22, 2019
Open drainage really does makes dumping of refuse in them easy. If the drainages were closed who would have the time to start removing drainage covers just to dump refuse.
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by almarthins(m): 7:41am On Nov 22, 2019
JoanHicks:
Not only Lagos

All states oh

Aunty, it is worst in lagos than most states.
Lagos state government is still nt serious about the issue indiscriminate dumping of refuse. Na only wen environmental sanitation reach u go see those egunje local goverment guys begin waka abt in the name of enforcement.
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by almarthins(m): 7:42am On Nov 22, 2019
misterjosh:
Open drainage really does makes dumping of refuse in them easy. If the drainages were closed who would have the time to start removing drainage covers just to dump refuse.

Our pipu are now breaking Up the covered gutters to allow easy dumping. Look around and prove me wrong
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by Kingsley10000: 8:03am On Nov 22, 2019
Oovi5:
Lagos don taya me...! I need to get out of here
see fine girl

what part of lagos do u live
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by dabeto: 8:12am On Nov 22, 2019
Oh......money on the streets of Lagos and men cannot see grin
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by Oovi5(f): 9:09am On Nov 22, 2019
Kingsley10000:
see fine girl
what part of lagos do u live
Ojo
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by showafrica(m): 9:11am On Nov 22, 2019
NiCurious:
Would it be so very difficult to install grating over top of the drainages, to keep rubbish out, and let rainwater in? That would also eliminate the hazard of tripping and falling in, on a dark night.

Next step, impose a deposit on reusable plastic bottles, payable at purchase, refundable on return...imagine all those bottles disappearing from the streets, like magic!

Nigeria copy every thing from the west, they can initiate a solution to her problems. Thats why i like Asians, they run a govt that favors them not copy copy. We should have Minister of gutter affairs with official Twitter account who would make sure the gutters are clean all the time. Also minister of pot holes...well i am just talking like a layman, i meant to say, we need agencies specially dedicated to solving peculiar problems.
Re: Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) by Kingsley10000: 9:14am On Nov 22, 2019
Oovi5:
Ojo
I'm at Aspamda Trade fair,just a stone throw from Ojo.

I mean no harm dear
I would like to be your friend.Give me ur whatsapp contact

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Best Honeymoon Destinations In Nigeria. Current Review. Lets Discuss / Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) / Lagos Begins Urban Regeneration Of Ikoyi, Victoria Island, Ikeja G.R.A

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.