Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,523 members, 7,819,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes (24611 Views)

FG Implements 7.5% VAT On Diesel, Nigerians Kick / Senate Okays HND As Minimum Qualification For President, Governors / Senate Okays Buhari’s $22.7 Billion Loan Request (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by BotherMleeper(m): 6:24pm On Nov 21, 2019
abbey621:

True but none of their citizens stood by and just watch tyranny and oppression unchecked for 60 or more years. Revolutions were successful because of patriots willing to shed blood and sacrifice lives. WHO ARE THE PATROITS IN NIGERIA? Even if we wait 200 years, the same corrupt, evil minded politicians will continue to oppress the common man who has little to no hope in Nigeria.

But who are the politicians?

They're not a special breed or some cosmic entities.... they're from amongst us. They're us.

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by abbey621(m): 6:33pm On Nov 21, 2019
BotherMleeper:

But who are the politicians?

They're not a special breed or some cosmic entities.... they're from amongst us. They're us.

Exactly, so you see the problem? Do you see the never ending cycle of depression? The masses are too depressed to face their oppressors hence we will keep producing tyrants instead of patriots.
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by Gerrard59(m): 7:00pm On Nov 21, 2019
GiantParrot:

Summaries
https://pwcnigeria.typepad.com/tax_matters_nigeria/2019/11/2019-finance-bill-sweeping-changes-to-nigerias-tax-laws-underway-.html

https://home.kpmg/ng/en/home/insights/2019/11/finance-bill--2019-passes-second-reading-at-the-senate.html

Thanks for the links. Probably because I've spent more time reading posts from "so-called intellectuals" who oppose the government. Time to start following pro-Buhari supporters for balance of reportage.

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by CoolAmbience(m): 7:12pm On Nov 21, 2019
Lokostic77:
this is ongoing project now, they have not commission anyone from this project o

Except for project no. 4 on my list, which is more than 90% completed, all the other 7 projects have been commissioned and in use.

Some have been in used for the past two or three years.

Come, are you from Djibouti sef?

If you want more completed projects, I can avail you more with addresses.
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by bigpicture001: 7:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
All I know is dt Nigerian deserve any any action meted out to dem.....

Even if soldiers go to street nd start shooting everybody...they are right..Nigerians deserve to die for stupidity....
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by BotherMleeper(m): 7:44pm On Nov 21, 2019
abbey621:

Exactly, so you see the problem? Do you see the never ending cycle of depression? The masses are too depressed to face their oppressors hence we will keep producing tyrants instead of patriots.

I don't think so

We chose to be divided

That division is what the ruling class exploits and counts on to get their way

And we're too divided to gang up and resist

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by abbey621(m): 7:54pm On Nov 21, 2019
BotherMleeper:

I don't think so

We chose to be divided

That division is what the ruling class exploits and counts on to get their way

And we're too divided to gang up and resist

We're saying the same things, we have no patriots everyone is divided based on their selfish interests. There's no ruling class anywhere, everyone is selfish both poor and rich.
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by DexterousOne(m): 8:46pm On Nov 21, 2019
Flets:
And to the dummies who aim and agitate for the death of opposition in politics, this is for your toast.

Buhari can pretty much pass a law through both houses to behead Nigerians and it will be passed in a jiffy.

I that Nigerians are the most ignorant of all races. Tribalism further put the death knell.

Ignorant and stupid.

Now Nigeria don enter one chance
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by DexterousOne(m): 8:50pm On Nov 21, 2019
RonaldoVido:

I read the International oil companies divestment thread.

Nobody mentioned job loses.

If those oil companies leave as stated, more than 3,000 jobs will be lost in the oil sector.

Another worrisome thing

Pls can you post the thread to that divestment thread
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by DexterousOne(m): 8:52pm On Nov 21, 2019
Sirjamo:
Infrastructure and human capital development as well as social investments cost a lot of money. Our current budget of $30b is just too meager for a nation of 200 million people. South Africa with it 50 million people budgets $100b annually. Egypt of 80 million people has an annual budget of $120b, our debt to revenue ratio is miserable. We need to start revving up our revenue by raising and widening our tax nets as well as cut every wasteful public expenditures, otherwise, developments in all facets will continue only at snail pace.

Widening your tax net in an economically destroyed economy ran by an economic terrorist

That is just GREAT!

Nigeria should put the cart before the horse
And they should keep suffering
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by DexterousOne(m): 8:52pm On Nov 21, 2019
valentinenw:
The real reason international companies are running as fast as their legs can carry them. They have seen the coming dictatorship.

We should be worried because their presence in the country checkmates some excesses of the govt knowing they have the muscle to slug it out at the international level. cry cry

This worries me
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by DexterousOne(m): 8:58pm On Nov 21, 2019
GiantParrot:

Nice points.

I agree with the increase in VAT. Most people do not know that although VAT was increased, VAT exemptions were also expanded in a manner that would benefit the less privileged among Nigerians.

Most people do not also know that companies with annual turnover less than or equal to N25 million are now exempt from company income tax. Sounds like the government is doing well to promote small businesses, and this is really good for the average person. I guess the full truth is not sensational, that's why the media chooses to place focus on the VAT hike. Isn't it odd that these people claiming increase in company income tax cannot tell us what these increases are, or where to find them? Perhaps because the increases are imagined.

On the personal income tax, it is not clear where Punch Newspapers discovered the "increment". Apparently the finance bill is seeking to only eliminate tax reliefs for children and dependent relatives. This is fair to people who are employed but have no dependents. I am yet to see any percentage increases in personal income taxes for any tax bracket.

Beyond media sensationalism, I think we all need to read more about the bill. I have seen summaries from PWC and KPMG. As far as the finance bill is concerned, the Presidency and National Assembly do not appear to be the monsters the media is trying to paint them to be. My impression of the bill is that it is friendly to the average person and local businesses. Maybe I'll find time to download the full bill some time.

Summaries
https://pwcnigeria.typepad.com/tax_matters_nigeria/2019/11/2019-finance-bill-sweeping-changes-to-nigerias-tax-laws-underway-.html

https://home.kpmg/ng/en/home/insights/2019/11/finance-bill--2019-passes-second-reading-at-the-senate.html

Wow shocked

Just wow
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by osothermal(m): 9:09pm On Nov 21, 2019
Kanade21:

Tax rates in Canada are higher than that of Nigeria....if you must know.

Plus Canadians take time to hold their governemnts accountable.

Also, Canada is not dependent solely on oil. They are dependent on their industrial output to make money. That's why their power and water supply works. Nigeria...we are dependent on oil, which does not need light 24//7 to be brought out of the soil.
Are you in Canada?
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by geezville(m): 10:43pm On Nov 21, 2019
I am curious to see what they want to amend in the Petroleum profits Tax Act...this one wey tax rate na 85%, dem for kuku turn E&P companies to NGOs/Non-Profit Organizations or even Nationalize them. Shioor
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by valentinenw(f): 10:45pm On Nov 21, 2019
DexterousOne:

This worries me

I should be too but I know how it will end
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by lukui: 12:11am On Nov 22, 2019
Monkey dey work baboon dey chop isn't it?
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by Jaideyone(m): 2:13am On Nov 22, 2019
imiski:
VAT AND THE 30,000 MINIMUM WAGE:
Nigerian inflation rate for the past 5years have been above 10% with a purchasing power of 50% given our naira devaluation. What this means is: with the current minimum wage of 18,000 naira goods you purchase are actually worth 9,000 naira(purchasing power).
If goverment increases the minimum wage to 30,000 naira (which of course has the purchasing power of 15,000naira) life would be somewhat easier. If this 7.5% vat is introduced, it will further reduce the purchasing power of minimum wage earners. Meaning about 85% of Nigerians will be living below 2$ per day
This law is regressive, wicked and against progressive change that was voted for
bull crap
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by imiski(m): 3:02am On Nov 22, 2019
Jaideyone:
bull crap
Explain
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by GiantParrot(m): 5:53am On Nov 22, 2019
DexterousOne:

Wow shocked

Just wow

It's not clear what these wows are about.
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by GiantParrot(m): 6:03am On Nov 22, 2019
Gerrard59:

Thanks for the links. Probably because I've spent more time reading posts from "so-called intellectuals" who oppose the government. Time to start following pro-Buhari supporters for balance of reportage.

You're welcome. Although hearing from both sides is a reasonable standard, following irrational pro-buharists may not actually provide balanced reportage. Their extreme partisanship makes it difficult to filter truth from propaganda. Analysis from independent bodies with relatively sound reputation could serve as better sources of unbiased opinion. Or if one has the time and will, one could access original sources/documents and analyse them to know what is truly being said.
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by GreyLaw(m): 9:52am On Dec 04, 2019

1.Because we are relaint on oil, and the oil price is too low for us to maintain a good lifestyle. Even if Buahri was not in power, the same issue would still be there.

2.Democracy has given you the power to call your government to account. Not just at Aso Rock, but at all levels. Use it. (and no, I am no Buhari supporter either. Nor do I like PDP).

I didn't vote Jonathan neither did I vote Buhari. However, truth be told, Buhari has been a disaster. I want to believe the man truly had intention to lead well but probably got there to meet something bigger than he could handle. A different hand would most likely have handled Nigerian issues better.

So many thieves in government. Everything the previous governments were accused of, this government has done worse. The facts are there.

Nigeria is not a country where anybody's wailing can bring any government to book like you posited; people are only brought to book to save face or when they offend the big men in Aso Rock. Look at Buhari flouting court orders, has any wailing made him change his mind? Nigeria isn't civilised; there is no order. What we have is a semblance of order, but in reality it is just the opposite.

Our constitution is the bane of this nation. It makes corruption official. Until we sit down together, tear that document into pieces and make a new inclusive one that recognises the flaws of the old and addresses them, we are just making noise.

Nigerians are hoping that one day a saint will arise from this corrupt system. It will not happen! The system has to be changed first.
Re: Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes by Indispensable85(m): 10:38am On Dec 04, 2019
Rubber stamp pigs!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ebonyi People Hold 1-Million-Man Protest March In Solidarity With Governor Umahi / Jonathan’s Wife Wants INEC To Rig Rivers’ Poll – Amaechi / Don't Expect Change Overnight - Buhari Reiterates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.