Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,397 members, 7,815,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers (23555 Views)

Chicken Republic Reacts To Sack Of Security Guards / Chevron To Sack 6,750 Staff / Falz Bop Daddy Challenge: Immigration Threatens To Sack Employees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by einsteine(m): 8:10am On Nov 22, 2019
Jokerman:
Why don't all these banks have pity or empathy??

Most of these contract staffs live in Ikorodu, Agiliti, Irawo, Elepe etc, and still go to work in VI, Eko, Fadeyi etc

It's not easy na

Oga, it is money they will use to pay them. If they ask you to pay account maintenance charges na, you will complain. The bank can't run at a loss or employ X3 the number of staff their main competitors are employing
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by Nobody: 8:21am On Nov 22, 2019
These are the stories we start hearing from institutions before they finally go bankrupt or crash totally.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by kolaaderin: 8:22am On Nov 22, 2019
Roadtoyesterday:
Labour leader in mentally deranged, first bank sacked any numbers of staff they want, if paying them salaries is becoming unproductive for the bank.
Labour should chanel their aggression to the government.
Awon Oponu
very unfortunate, they wanna drop people so they can pick up cheaper labourers. If a thousand people leaves today the banking system would be gravely affected and trust me they will keep employing fresh graduate to fill up the space just for cheaper labourers.
We don't have serious labour law enforcer here, they are seriously compromised. If I have my way in NLC, I will enforce that First bank will not replace those job functions of the sacked workers in the next 4years so it's certain they are not needed, not that they just wanna use people and dump them when they are supposed to be enjoying there input years of service to the bank.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by mechanics(m): 8:22am On Nov 22, 2019
It will unfair just to relieve the staff of their duties without any concrete arrangement between them and the unions they represent.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by ProtectMyMoney: 8:23am On Nov 22, 2019
Deomovies:
1000 workers?
Wow

That's the effect of technology.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by goshen26: 8:29am On Nov 22, 2019
Hmmmmm....

It is obvious....when I got to FBN airport junction, close to Ikeja-along yesterday, and I saw no one on queue I knew something was wrong.

FBN that always have it banking hall filled to the brim
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by akeye81: 8:49am On Nov 22, 2019
Medicine after death.
Sacked since ystdy.
Only one person affected in my branch here though
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by tejiri4(m): 8:49am On Nov 22, 2019
They not sack any one stop lieing
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by akeye81: 8:57am On Nov 22, 2019
Lol
U dunno natin
tejiri4:
They not sack any one stop lieing
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by Bakerdav: 8:58am On Nov 22, 2019
akeye81:
Lol
U dunno natin
no mind him
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by tejiri4(m): 9:00am On Nov 22, 2019
akeye81:
Lol
U dunno natin

grin and those they sacked are quiet. They re just mute like nothing happened
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by Xisnin(m): 9:02am On Nov 22, 2019
jom28gy:
Whether, due process or no due process, is it good to sack people from work?
It is good for the bank.
Face your government and leave businesses alone.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by seniormallam(m): 9:03am On Nov 22, 2019
What is happening is nothing but top management playing with peoples life in the name of favouring their own interest,
They sacked staff of one outsourced firm and ask another outsourced firm which they have stake to recruit same number of staff, this has nothing to do with financial crisis, the management asked their wife, good friends or relatives to float a recruitment agency, then sacked those that belong to those agencies they don't have stake, by today or latest Monday new contract staff would have resume already.

1 Like

Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by seniormallam(m): 9:07am On Nov 22, 2019
gwinaB:

It's a business, profit oriented and not a charity organisation or public corporation. If their resources can't cater for the numbers they have, will you expect them to keep them at a loss? Or would you rather they fold up and everybody in organisation return to the labour market?
Same number of staff has been replaced already so it has nothing to do with resources.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by soleexx(m): 9:09am On Nov 22, 2019
Yohh:
This is true As technology advances, less manpower is required.
can we say tech is a thing of joy or otherwise
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by DexterousOne(m): 9:10am On Nov 22, 2019
RonaldoVido:
Confirming the fears of their workers..

Someone still wonders how GOVERNMENT and banks are still thriving in a comatose economy, the answer is this, GOVERNMENT is thriving on loans, BANKS are thriving on loans and multiple income streams.

GOVERNMENT is increasing taxes to stay afloat. BANKS are debiting your account repeatedly to stay afloat.

Without a thriving private sector economy, there will be no country. Nigerians will have sense soon.

TRUTH
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by seniormallam(m): 9:16am On Nov 22, 2019
Better to be jobless than take up a contract job, its a psychological torture, its nothing but slavery, government should come to the aid of youths been exploited because of lack of employment.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by slimjohn2k5: 9:17am On Nov 22, 2019
Stanbic have done it to contract staff and clean mouth
Where was labour?
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by rhymesnoni(m): 9:24am On Nov 22, 2019
I sincerely pray non of my paddies working with FBN Is affected
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by afrika4real(m): 10:05am On Nov 22, 2019
ProsperChild:
Labour vows to shutdown First Bank over plans to sack over 1000 workers
guardian.ng Nov 22, 2019 4:23 AM

First Bank of Nigeria. Photo: NAIRAMETRICS
Organised labour has vowed to shut down First Bank of Nigeria over plans to sack over 1,000 of its workers without following due process.

President of the National Union of Banks, Insurance and Financial Institutions Employees (NUBIFIE), Anthony Abakpa, who told The Guardian Wednesday that letters were already written and likely to be rolled to the workers yesterday, said the union will ensure it didn’t happen.

He said the union, which is already at alert has written to all labour centres, including the Ministry the Labour and Employment, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), and the Association of Senior Staff of Banks Insurance and Financial Institutions (ASSBIFI).

He said if the lender goes ahead to sack the workers, they will also move swiftly into action by shutting the bank indefinitely.

“How will a bank just go ahead and sack workers without due process and without following the labour laws? If they do anything without following the labour laws, it is an infringement on the rights of the workers and we are going to act swiftly,” Abakpa assured.

He noted that the union would force the bank to respect labour laws, adding that it needs to adhere to laid down guidelines and negotiate good severance packages before sacking the workers.

“We believe in dialogue and collective agreement. Anything that is alien will be unacceptable because we will not support plans that will not be in the interest of workers,” he said.

He said further said: “We have also communicated with our sister union in the bank, the Association of Senior Staff of Banks Insurance and Financial Institutions (ASSBIFI) so that all of us will be on the same page.

“The Ministry has promised to call the bank for a meeting. We got to know that they said the number is not up to 1,000, but they are not denying that they have it in the pipeline to sack workers at this period of the year. We considered this unacceptable, most especially without carrying the union along.”

ASSBIFI President, Oyinkansola Olasanoye, also confirmed that the bank was in the process of disengaging the workers.
She said ASSBIFI was in contact with the NUBIFIE leadership and has put her members on the alert should there be the need for any industrial action against the Bank.

When The Guardian contacted the Corporate Communications Manager of First Bank, Ismail….he refused to comment on the issue, saying he will get back.

Source:

https://guardian.ng/business-services/labour-vows-to-shutdown-first-bank-over-plans-to-sack-over-1000-workers/
medicine after funeral
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 22, 2019
Says who? In marriage have you heard of divorce? If you are familiar with the same labor law you alluded to you would also know that an employer can at any time disengage the services of an employee so long as the laid down procedures are followed. NLC can do nothing about an employer needing and wanting to sack his employees; the only way NLC can come in is to make sure the disengagement is according to law. Employees should be given a month (or three months) notice before the sack, or he/she is paid the salary in lieu of that notice. But that is not for dismissal (I think). The same way employee must notify the employer when he is resigning one month (or three) or he pays money equivalent to that period to his employer.

Employers have right to employ and to sack.
Employees have right to accept employment and to resign (nothing like I don't accept your resignation).

GeoAfrikana:
No one can force you to employ a person. But when you employ then you must stick to the employer-employee code of conduct.

It's just like marriage. No one can force you to marry (a particular person). But when you do you must stick to the code of conduct.

BTW, bank work na work?

Is this the best you could type?
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by jom28gy(m): 10:15am On Nov 22, 2019
Xisnin:

It is good for the bank.
Face your government and leave businesses alone.
which one are you supporting
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by dayleke: 10:21am On Nov 22, 2019
PopeFlatino:
They should just close down that bank please...the one in our area isn't doing good at all..they are so full of themselves,can't even load their ATM machines ,opens d bank hall at any time they feel like..No improvement nor innovation which their brother Union bank is trying to adopt lately..

Las Las na shakara go kill first Bank workers shaa

Which branch is this please?
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by dayleke: 10:27am On Nov 22, 2019
akeye81:
Medicine after death.
Sacked since ystdy.
Only one person affected in my branch here though

"Only one..."

One person too much bro.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by uwemconcept: 10:27am On Nov 22, 2019
jom28gy:
Yes.
It is better to let them go than keep them and not pay them
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by gwinaB(m): 10:39am On Nov 22, 2019
seniormallam:

Same number of staff has been replaced already so it has nothing to do with resources.
well it's their business model
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by GYMNASTIC: 10:39am On Nov 22, 2019
jom28gy:

That's why is good to have a business while working, the heart attack that goes with sack is not a joke, but if you have a back up, u feel nothing but just a moment sadness when you are sacked and u move on.

N.B eeeeeh Oga Seun please grin. restore my closed TOPIC, cos that's my own office o. I will pay for advert when I make some sales.

pls. check my signature for ur waist trainer and body shapers.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by jom28gy(m): 10:43am On Nov 22, 2019
GYMNASTIC:

That's why is good to have a business while working, the heart attack that goes with sack is not a joke, but if you have a back up, u feel nothing but just a moment sadness when you are sacked.
I have asked you, where are you staying to?
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by CsRockefeller(m): 11:15am On Nov 22, 2019
seniormallam:
What is happening is nothing but top management playing with peoples life in the name of favouring their own interest,
They sacked staff of one outsourced firm and ask another outsourced firm which they have stake to recruit same number of staff, this has nothing to do with financial crisis, the management asked their wife, good friends or relatives to float a recruitment agency, then sacked those that belong to those agencies they don't have stake, by today or latest Monday new contract staff would have resume already.

Are u refering to workforce? I've already had an interview with them.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by CsRockefeller(m): 11:20am On Nov 22, 2019
seniormallam:
Better to be jobless than take up a contract job, its a psychological torture, its nothing but slavery, government should come to the aid of youths been exploited because of lack of employment.

Are you sure about that?

1 Like

Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by GeoAfrikana(m): 11:22am On Nov 22, 2019
bizme:
Says who? In marriage have you heard of divorce? If you are familiar with the same labor law you alluded to you would also know that an employer can at any time disengage the services of an employee so long as the laid down procedures are followed. NLC can do nothing about an employer needing and wanting to sack his employees; the only way NLC can come in is to make sure the disengagement is according to law. Employees should be given a month (or three months) notice before the sack, or he/she is paid the salary in lieu of that notice. But that is not for dismissal (I think). The same way employee must notify the employer when he is resigning one month (or three) or he pays money equivalent to that period to his employer.

Employers have right to employ and to sack.
Employees have right to accept employment and to resign (nothing like I don't accept your resignation).

Firstly, @emboldened, last time I checked divorce has rules irrespective of the type of marriage; religious, cultural or court.

Secondly, you've also mentioned that there must be notification. So, that's also a condition which means they can't just do it as they wish.

Lastly, thanks for the enlightenment, your piece was beneficial.

2 Likes

Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by seniormallam(m): 11:25am On Nov 22, 2019
CsRockefeller:

Are you sure about that?
Believe me , you can enter depression if you don't have the physical and mental strength to withstood it, its nothing but a psychological torture, they should just end this contract stuff nationwide, no citizen deserves to be treated as less privilege on he's/her motherland

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Two Ghanaian Nurses Sacked For Ignoring Patients To Have A Facebook Live Session / Hilary Kelechi Madu Appointed NSCDC Acting Commandant-General As Gana Bows Out / Nigerians Donate Over N1.4m To Lagos Airport Cleaner Who Returned Millions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.