Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers (23560 Views)

Chicken Republic Reacts To Sack Of Security Guards / Chevron To Sack 6,750 Staff / Falz Bop Daddy Challenge: Immigration Threatens To Sack Employees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by CsRockefeller(m): 11:26am On Nov 22, 2019
seniormallam:

Believe me , you can enter depression if you don't have the physical and mental strength to withstood it, its nothing but a psychological tortured.

Better than staying at home doing nothing with no money in your pocket?
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by seniormallam(m): 11:29am On Nov 22, 2019
CsRockefeller:

Are u refering to workforce? I've already had an interview with them.
You can take up the job, but Bro. Its nothing but a psychological torture, you can enter depression or become frustrated in life or turned to a sadists, if you have something fetching you some change already Bro run for your life.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by seniormallam(m): 11:32am On Nov 22, 2019
CsRockefeller:

Better than staying at home doing nothing with no money in your pocket?
If you have nothing doing , you can take it up, but you gat to be strong, mark my word, you gat to be strong.
Its just like a slave serving in the palace.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by CsRockefeller(m): 11:32am On Nov 22, 2019
seniormallam:

You can take up the job, but Bro. Its nothing but a psychological torture, you can enter depression or become frustrated in life or turned to a sadists, if you have something fetching you some change already Bro run for your life.

Okay. Thanks.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by Imstar: 11:57am On Nov 22, 2019
This is just the beginning. Labour is just making noice.
It's high time Nigerian graduates started thinking outside the box. By 2025, there will be NO WHITE COLAR JOBS anyway because most organization have started embracing ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (ROBBOTARY) ad as such robbot would taking the people of human in the work force.

My advice..engage in other forms activities that can generate extra income for you, go into genuine investment..
If your interested in Telecom business, I can assist.. watsup: 07030520696
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by TIMMZROYAL: 1:18pm On Nov 22, 2019
I’m looking to get topnotch animation for my son but i want them in a flashdrive
Deomovies:
1000 workers?
Wow!
Deo Movies is an alternative to Netflix streaming and subscription or Disc compiling in your house. Which you can get External hard drive filled with latest and Top Rated movies and Series, likewise movies can be sent to your PCs of you have enough space. Brethren please help my ministry.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by olat70(m): 1:44pm On Nov 22, 2019
Na today?banks have continued this heinous crime against her worker without been stopped by anybody--labour,govt e.t.c because it is not their problem.UBA PLC did that several years ago and i am one of the victims and nothing was done till today;they even turned around to take me to national industrial court to come and pay the loan i took while working when it is obvious i was thrown out of job with no offence.This country i sa place where everybody for himself while God is for all of us.Employers do what they like with their employee and all regulatory agents,unions and government look the other way--no be today o
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by kingjrofficial(m): 2:32pm On Nov 22, 2019
Roadtoyesterday:

If we check now e fit no reach 30k with this your shouting.
1k or 30k, it's his hard earned money...
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by olowoba2: 3:46pm On Nov 22, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:
Casuals or contract staff
thank you
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by athorello(m): 6:20pm On Nov 22, 2019
Sometimes I pity Service executives or contract staff in banks. Termination of contract with the parent company means mass sack.

However, I think some old non core staff who have stayed for over 5 years become demotivated and lethargic seeing several of their colleagues converted to full staff, and new GTs employed and moving the ranks. Thus, I won't blame the bank so much if they wanna let go of some of the contract staff.

Firstbank is one of the highest employers of labour in Nigeria. Only last year about 500 GTs were employed. Several other experienced and GTs hire including a conversion program for 500 service executives have taken place this year. I'm also sure the affected 1000 staff are been replaced by younger more motivated bloods. No wonder several contracting firms are recruiting tellers, CSOs and marketers. The industry is no child's play.

Finally, it's not funny out there. Being a contract staff in a bank is not the best position to be but it's better than nothing. To that end, people is such position must have a plan to leave between 2 to 5 years, fighting on all fronts: investing in personal and academic development, saving for business or emigration, seeking conversion and hunting for jobs actively. Even as an envied full time staff with several privileges, I hustled my way out and still hustling as PMB isn't my papa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by CsRockefeller(m): 6:58pm On Nov 22, 2019
athorello:
Sometimes I pity Service executives or contract staff in banks. Termination of contract with the parent company means mass sack.

However, I think some old non core staff who have stayed for over 5 years become demotivated and lethargic seeing several of their colleagues converted to full staff, and new GTs employed and moving the ranks. Thus, I won't blame the bank so much if they wanna let go of some of the contract staff.

Firstbank is one of the highest employers of labour in Nigeria. Only last year about 500 GTs were employed. Several other experienced and GTs hire including a conversion program for 500 service executives have taken place this year. I'm also sure the affected 1000 staff are been replaced by younger more motivated bloods. No wonder several contracting firms are recruiting tellers, CSOs and marketers. The industry is no child's play.

Finally, it's not funny out there. Being a contract staff in a bank is not the best position to be but it's better than nothing. To that end, people is such position must have a plan to leave between 2 to 5 years, fighting on all fronts: investing in personal and academic development, saving for business or emigration, seeking conversion and hunting for jobs actively. Even as an envied full time staff with several privileges, I hustled my way out and still hustling as PMB isn't my papa.

Well said.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by smasher1(m): 9:14pm On Nov 22, 2019
ikennaoma:
People they sacked yesterday.

For real?
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by smasher1(m): 9:15pm On Nov 22, 2019
ifenadi:
They have already sacked them yesterday

Oya Labour, shutdown firstbank

Hmmm, abeg o
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by smasher1(m): 9:16pm On Nov 22, 2019
damosade:
As a matter of fact, 987 non core staff were laid off yesterday. The did has been done already no reverse

By none core , you mean contract?
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by aspirebig: 9:28pm On Nov 22, 2019
ornicus:

contract staff have zero rights and can be let go at any time
i was in my company for 14 years, entered after a colleague on contract.
promotion or not, i had an increase every year
colleagues salary was more or less flat for the 14 years

when the person was let go, i am not sure the severance came up to 3m . no gratuity, nada. contract work is a bad place. you are living on hope you will be converted, but it may not happen

i know one guy - they told him you have hnd - get degree. the guy got degree, them no gree, he got master, them no gree. it was all kinds of fked

You are right.
Even the permanent staff, nothing is permanent last last.

With time, many banks will have only contract staff in some key functional roles,especially their operations.
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by Joystark(f): 10:57pm On Nov 22, 2019
Na wa oo, it's well.
Do you wonder why you barely ever get any replies to your applications?

Here are three things you need to atleast get invited for job interviews:

1. An ATS complaint CV
2. A winning Cover Letter with the right keywords.
3. An Optimized LinkedIn account.
PM me for any or all of the above.

Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by DexterousOne(m): 12:39am On Nov 24, 2019
athorello:

Well said
Re: Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers by amuwo1980: 5:58am On Nov 25, 2019
Nigerian labour unions have since merged with the jihadist party APC since 2015.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hilary Kelechi Madu Appointed NSCDC Acting Commandant-General As Gana Bows Out / Nigerians Donate Over N1.4m To Lagos Airport Cleaner Who Returned Millions / I Want To Write A Resignation Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.