Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,546 members, 7,812,718 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:58 PM

How Was Your First Driving Experience? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Was Your First Driving Experience? (11650 Views)

What's Your First Driving Experience From Lagos To Abuja Like? / How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan / These Car Tech Gadgets Will Improve Your Driving Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Offpoint: 7:12am On Dec 02, 2019
It was fun cuz the first thing I killed was my neighbor's dogs, who always interferes with my night activities with my Landlord daughter's.

I lose control and ran into the poor thing.

My advice to everyone: if you know how to drive in other states perfectly, please once you enter Lagos... put L sign on your car. It's a jungle out.

15 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by hakeem4(m): 7:13am On Dec 02, 2019
I learnt how to drive in 2 days. (I can only drive automatic)

On the first day, i was scared, shaking and sweating while holding the steering. I remember the time someone over took me and then looked at me and said “if I don’t know how to drive I should get out of the road” grin

The 2nd day I was not scared of driving again.

The only thing you need is confidence, especially if you’re driving in Lagos

5 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by PrettyBoyBreezy(m): 7:13am On Dec 02, 2019
My first experience was tedious. The returning of steering after turning was hard for me. I tot using d mirrors was a complete waste of time as i only needed to watch my front, i was very wrong. Reversing was another tough one for me and steering control while reversing na war.
But practice makes perfect

15 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by majamajic(m): 7:14am On Dec 02, 2019
GideonOludayomi:

Here is my advise to you as a driving insructor...just follow and keep the 3C-rules to heart. they are:
CAUTION
CONSCIOUSNESS and
CALMNESS.

Master these three rules and you will be alright.

in abroad it's SMS

Seat - adjustment of seat

Mirror - set the mirrors

Seat belt - wear the seat belt

I was at yaba , chatting with a driving instructor . most Nigerian instructors know nothing about driving , this guy couldn't identify common road signs , his own is just to collect money , just like u said CCC

safety first !!!

8 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by siegfried99(m): 7:15am On Dec 02, 2019
Was great
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Tarabye: 7:15am On Dec 02, 2019
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by DarkJeddi(m): 7:16am On Dec 02, 2019
It took all of 30 minutes for me to learn how to drive,driving on the roads was another thing entirely..

I smashed the side mirror of the car the first time I drove through a gate and the headlight of the car behind a trailer I was following too close.. embarassed

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Grupo(m): 7:17am On Dec 02, 2019
I attended a driving school because I wanted to learn properly. I chose to learn with a manual.

Well, after three days in the driving school, I felt I had wasted my money because I had almost learnt everything.

For the first few days, controlling the clutch was a big problem. The car would stall easily when I stop and try to move again.

However, due to my big bike driving experience, I had to transfer bike driving knowledge to car. And it worked. I started handling the clutch like a pro. Even when starting and driving uphill, the engine would not stall.

Another thing that gave me issues was positioning. I would often think that I would hit other road users because I didn't know the distance between them and my car.

But after a few more days in the school, I mastered that as well.

10 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by helinues: 7:18am On Dec 02, 2019
Zangibadanba:
[s][/s]
big lies

We know say na street tyre with sticks be your own driving test till this moments..

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by whytepawn1(m): 7:22am On Dec 02, 2019
Interesting
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by whytepawn1(m): 7:26am On Dec 02, 2019
Grupo:
I attended a driving school because I wanted to learn properly. I chose to learn with a manual.

Well, after three days in the driving school, I felt I had wasted my money because I had almost learnt everything.

For the first few days, controlling the clutch was a big problem. The car would stall easily when I stop and try to move again.

However, due to my big bike driving experience, I had to transfer bike driving knowledge to car. And it worked. I started handling the clutch like a pro. Even when starting and driving uphill, the engine would not stall.

Another thing that gave me issues was positioning. I would often think that I would hit other road users because I didn't know the distance between them and my car.

But after a few more days in the school, I mastered that as well.
Positioning is a major for me too..

7 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by shollish(m): 7:29am On Dec 02, 2019
Steering control while reversing

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by iSlayer: 7:42am On Dec 02, 2019
Completed my program in six days. Only challenge was releasing the clutch, on the first day. I kept releasing it too quickly and the instructor became frustrated, which didn't help. Finally, I got the car moving and we entered the expressway. I was a bit scared whenever I see a tipper coming towards me. After that first day, it was all good.

It's funny reading comments here from people saying reversing and steering at the same time was difficult. Or they didn't see the need for their mirrors. Or returning steering after turning. Lolllll. That one na common sense na.

But I later destroyed my neighbor's Golf when I wanted to repark the car. I just drove the car like a demented person, a rookie mistake. He used about 30k to get that car working again.

5 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by molybdenum0012: 7:43am On Dec 02, 2019
Please can someone recommend the best driving training school to attend in Lagos?

I need to learn this as soon as possible
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by MusaDanladi1: 7:46am On Dec 02, 2019
presh001:
The experience get K-Leg....
At the field...

The boy that did ring bearer(6years) for me was something else...
My husband put hurdles/obstacles and asked me not to knock them down and other drive talks. The little lad was inside the car with me, as I wanted to hit one of the obstacles this boy just picked on me "Aunty, u nuh dey see the stick wey brother put for there? Ah-think en tell you say make you nuh hit am? U nuh dey see when he dey drive his own?" I nah replied him "IB, nah your talk-talk dey confuse"... "Na talk I dey talk I nuh dey touch the car oh, nuh be when brother ask you, you go say na me do you oh.... Even set when brother dey drive I dey follow am talk but the go still dey drive well"�����
The young man frustrated me and was a challenge because I wanted to prove to him that I can make it...

On lanes...
Bike men are demons.... Evil people... By and by na only two bike men I use car kiss(I didn't knock them down)
This got me laughing like WTF. I for pursue that boy comot for motor grin which kind devil send am come?

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by error4040: 7:46am On Dec 02, 2019
Dididrumz:
I bashed my dads car cool

He was not around, so i asked a friend that knows how to drive to teach me in my compund, next. The next minute i was on the road feeling like james bond, and gbaaaaaaaas a keke driver and his keke were upside down, fear could not let me stay so i took off.

My elder bro had to cover up for me that he was the one driving.

It was one of the most scariest events of my life

A HIT&RUN suspect Spotted grin
hope you no kill person Sha

5 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Nitah1: 7:47am On Dec 02, 2019
The road was too narrow for me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Dididrumz(m): 7:48am On Dec 02, 2019
error4040:

A HIT&RUN suspect Spotted grin
hope you kill person Sha

No ohh, i no kill person, i saw the guy standing up while i took off.

4 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by MissJoy29(f): 7:48am On Dec 02, 2019
My major challenge was balancing clutch and accelerator.

Surprisingly, the part others find difficult was easy for me: reversing. I was doing that like a pro.

If not for the clutch/accelerator issue, i drove better then in reverse than facing front grin

Oh the days of sneaking around town with dad's car when he's not around!

6 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by ussv: 8:01am On Dec 02, 2019
That was in 1985, and i was staying with my elder sister then at Okota .I had begged my neighbour`s driver to teach me how to drive, it was a volkswagen beetle car. We had gone onto our street then in Okota and everything was smooth until the way back home after that first driving lesson. On getting to our gate instead of me to slow down, i drove straight to the gate of our compound. The gate came down with some part of the fence and the beetle was a write off. I felt really bad for my sister`s husband because he was carrying that car like egg. When he found out , he felt dumbfounded and sat on the ground with his hands on his head.

24 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by richieray: 8:07am On Dec 02, 2019
I almost drove into a canal,you'd think it's quite easy from all the pictorial representations of driving and how skillful people act behind the wheels from movie scenes and even in our country here.
Anyway, since I don't fancy it,I just gave up instantly.just maybe someday I will give it a try again.make I dey cruise my bicycle abeg.if you see Me ride by,holla @ your boy.

5 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by iSlayer: 8:08am On Dec 02, 2019
ussv:
That was in 1985, and i was staying with my elder sister then at Okota .I had begged my neighbour`s driver to teach me how to drive, it was a volkswagen beetle car. We had gone onto our street then in Okota and everything was smooth until the way back home after that first driving lesson. On getting to our gate instead of me to slow down, i drove straight to the gate of our compound. The gate came down with some part of the fence and the beetle was a write off. I felt really bad for my sister`s husband because he was carrying that car like egg. When he found out , he felt dumbfounded and sat on the ground with his hands on his head.

Lollllllllllllll. You be Rambo?? I don die...

6 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by femi4: 8:12am On Dec 02, 2019
FIDELITY24:
What was your first driving experience like? I started learning how to drive yesterday being 1st December 2019. It was simple but i also had some challenges, like how to release the clutch gradually and also staying in my lane when driving etc. I would love to know some of the challenges you encountered when you started driving and also things to look out for... Thank you.
Staying on my lane

Learning to reverse using side mirrors /inner mirror
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Nobody: 8:36am On Dec 02, 2019
Oblongata:
I was going for a friend’s birthday at water parks and I had many guys in my secondary school that could pull a ride, I knew I had to take my mum’s ride, I confided my plan to my late brother (who was in the university then), he concurred...

Before then I could only drive within the compound, it was my first time driving outside, I got carried away and before I could say jack robins, it was dark!

Shebi me wey Dey hustle to drive for day time no suppose wait till he reach night?

To drive from Allen to Berger became very tough, to make matters worse Some babes were like ‘please drop us at ogba’, me wey no good at all.. but thank God, there was no problem to ogba...

Fast forward
I nearly drove past my street before I realized hence I just steered straight into the street, no pointer, no stopping, no looking out for cars...

I just heard GBOSA!

Alas!!!

It was my dad I bashed!!!

On top that I didn’t make maths in WAEC!

I got the thrashing of my life that day, that I stopped driving for years until 2001

Driving no easy o sad

Hmmmmm, you probably in your early 40s or mid. Sorry about ur late bro cry... Cool story though

5 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by slaypapa: 8:48am On Dec 02, 2019
I almost got killed by accident. My face now look like a beast because of scars

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by marshalcarter: 9:03am On Dec 02, 2019
After bashing a Toyota hiace bus they fixed for sale....I disappeared...had to meet my dad's mechanic to teach me how to drive...I used a 504 manual Peugeot to learn... although i don't have my own car yet but I'm glad i learnt it very well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by zikter(m): 9:04am On Dec 02, 2019
My experience: I did not attend any driving school, I learnt everything online from signage to watching YouTube. Of course I drive only automatic gear cars, I don't know how to drive manual.
So I bought my car, kept it for one month to finish registrations. After that I put what I learnt in to practicals with no tutor beside me. Just me in the car. I will drive in the compound practicing reverse and drive. One early saturday morning with less traffic, I drove straight on express from Oshodi to Iyana Ipaja. From there, I will practice around 5am when traffic is less. Now I can drive to anywhere. I drove for about 800km in a straight 14hrs drive with less than one year experience. it was fun anyway. @op is good you have a tutor, driving need you to be very bold and calm at the same time, be alert to your environment also and assume you are the only sane person on the road. All the best to your lessons as you try to be a good driver.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by mkoabiola: 9:18am On Dec 02, 2019
Which is better ..driving sch or learnjng from a friend

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Car Key Won't Enter Ignition / Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? / Nigeria Automobile Sector To Contribute 4.5% Of 2016 Global Sales

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.