Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,548 members, 7,812,748 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:33 PM

How Was Your First Driving Experience? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Was Your First Driving Experience? (11655 Views)

What's Your First Driving Experience From Lagos To Abuja Like? / How Many Years Driving Experience Do I Need To Drive From Abuja To Ibadan / These Car Tech Gadgets Will Improve Your Driving Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by TheGreatIYANU: 9:18am On Dec 02, 2019
Started driving at 15. First with a Mitsubishi bus then later a Toyota Camry pencil light.

Mumcy later enrolled me in driving school and when I started, I remember one day I got to a street and the instructor asked me to reverse. (Other students were at the back seat of the tortoise car then)

I reversed so perfectly that a lady behind asked if I was a student or assistant tutor?! grin

Instructor even clapped! It's been 12 years now, man is still crusing the streets, but...

You see my wife ehn?

Her own driving story is a whole book!

After enrolling her in driving school just before our wedding, I thought she will be perfect.

God had other plans for us!

I remember a particular sunday, we were visiting our parents from church. She turned a bend and about 2 meters from us was a car, parked on the curb.

My darling wife left the road and was gùnning straight for the car.

She was driving at snail speed so I rhetorically asked "baby are we going to hit that car?"

She said no. I bent my head to look at my phone, 30 seconds later, I heard GBOOOOSZ!

Looked up, we had hit the parked car square in the back!

My Lexus still has scars from her learning days! embarassed

12 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Beosten(m): 9:36am On Dec 02, 2019
The farm's vehicle is of automatic transmission. As the manager, I asked the driver to show me the trotle, brake and gear systems. Then I started the vehicle and sped off. Simple as abc.
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Iceberg3: 9:36am On Dec 02, 2019
Back tyre climbed a giant rock in our compound.

Overtook a car for about 1 minute grin
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Harkyn92(m): 10:16am On Dec 02, 2019
I have no trainer, I just carried my uncles car and started driving with the bike experience. im still not perfect though but im trying.

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by GhettoYute: 10:20am On Dec 02, 2019
Lol I was 17 mom had travelled I buZzed my niggas and pulled her corolla out, with the aid of my friend I drove round the estate with ease, the next few days I was driving to unilag to pepper them girls!! Who no like better ting

3 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by KingEd: 11:27am On Dec 02, 2019
I still remember the day I got a car while learning. I told me Dad, he smiled, came close to me, shoke me and said *welcome to the club*. Lolz.

3 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by KingEd: 11:27am On Dec 02, 2019
Hit* not got
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by ebullient19(f): 12:33pm On Dec 02, 2019
Is it preferable to learn with manual cars or automatic cars? ANYWAYS, I NEED A TRAINER IN IBADAN
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by MRcipher(m): 12:38pm On Dec 02, 2019
Guy!!..for Lagos I was frustrated, how will I put trafficator showing where I want to enter Aboki bike man will still chook head for there come jam me!!... it was frustrating, bike men was my greatest fear because they will hit you but everybody will shout "ehyaaa that guy don hit okada man, oga rush am go hospital sharp Sharp".. like WTF people na this megida hit me....so ultimately ur side mirrors, rear view, seat belts and trafficator lights should be your best friends and lastly e get as e go be bros comot hand for window do trafficator for bike men or else gbas gbos be ur case, be guided son!!

7 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by SolarHub(m): 1:02pm On Dec 02, 2019
I'm still learning sir

Check my signature now
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Nickymichy(m): 1:17pm On Dec 02, 2019
Lost one leg of my shoe...drove car into a ditch

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by FIDELITY24(m): 1:36pm On Dec 02, 2019
Originalsly:
Most important.... the person should teach you according to international standards. Great you are learning on standard/stick shift. If the trainer is teaching you to use one foot for accelerator only.... and the other foot for brake and clutch.... stop...get a new trainer. Always..... wear your seatbelt... regardless of what anyone has to say. ... not because of laws... but it can help prevent severe injuries/death... it is about your safety. Practice signaling ... before changing lanes.... turning... and most of all glancing in your rearview mirror to know what's happening around you.
okay sir... Thanks
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by FIDELITY24(m): 1:40pm On Dec 02, 2019
BabaIbo:
I had my first driving experience when I was in secondary school. It was my friend that taught me how to drive that day.
He was surprised I didn't hit anything right from when we left home to the field where I learnt it but in order to cancel that clean sheet, on our way back home (close to the house gate) he confused me by telling me to look at that fine lady he was telling me about the other day, innocently I turned to look at the imaginary lady, by the time I realized he did it to distract me, I am already close to the gate's pillar. That's how I bashed the car and he started laughing hysterically. Telling me even him that is teaching me hit so many obstacles when he learnt to drive, how come I want to have clean sheer why learning.
lol....the bros go get mind o... I think what i need to focus more on now is steering control since the car i intend to drive is automatic.
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by FIDELITY24(m): 1:45pm On Dec 02, 2019
Grupo:
I attended a driving school because I wanted to learn properly. I chose to learn with a manual.

Well, after three days in the driving school, I felt I had wasted my money because I had almost learnt everything.

For the first few days, controlling the clutch was a big problem. The car would stall easily when I stop and try to move again.

However, due to my big bike driving experience, I had to transfer bike driving knowledge to car. And it worked. I started handling the clutch like a pro. Even when starting and driving uphill, the engine would not stall.

Another thing that gave me issues was positioning. I would often think that I would hit other road users because I didn't know the distance between them and my car.

But after a few more days in the school, I mastered that as well.
nice one bro... I believe i will improve on positioning as well, if am driving i tend to avoid cars thinking they are close to me

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by FIDELITY24(m): 1:50pm On Dec 02, 2019
zikter:
My experience: I did not attend any driving school, I learnt everything online from signage to watching YouTube. Of course I drive only automatic gear cars, I don't know how to drive manual.
So I bought my car, kept it for one month to finish registrations. After that I put what I learnt in to practicals with no tutor beside me. Just me in the car. I will drive in the compound practicing reverse and drive. One early saturday morning with less traffic, I drove straight on express from Oshodi to Iyana Ipaja. From there, I will practice around 5am when traffic is less. Now I can drive to anywhere. I drove for about 800km in a straight 14hrs drive with less than one year experience. it was fun anyway. @op is good you have a tutor, driving need you to be very bold and calm at the same time, be alert to your environment also and assume you are the only sane person on the road. All the best to your lessons as you try to be a good driver.
Thanks you sir... Your comments are all encouraging.
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by FIDELITY24(m): 1:53pm On Dec 02, 2019
MRcipher:
Guy!!..for Lagos I was frustrated, how will I put trafficator showing where I want to enter Aboki bike man will still chook head for there come jam me!!... it was frustrating, bike men was my greatest fear because they will hit you but everybody will shout "ehyaaa that guy don hit okada man, oga rush am go hospital sharp Sharp".. like WTF people na this megida hit me....so ultimately ur side mirrors, rear view, seat belts and trafficator lights should be your best friends and lastly e get as e go be bros comot hand for window do trafficator for bike men or else gbas gbos be ur case, be guided son!!
Thank you sir
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by BabaIbo: 2:46pm On Dec 02, 2019
FIDELITY24:
lol....the bros go get mind o... I think what i need to focus more on now is steering control since the car i intend to drive is automatic.

Yes o, me self follow cause am because I don tease am from the beginning say I no go bash anything till I go learn how to drive.

Yeah, after that you can now focus on vehicles/automobiles/cycles around you(i.e safety), your calmness etc
You need to learn how to control it before focusing on the externals.
Although it would have been better if you learn with manual...
Best of luck in your driving tutorial, enjoy!

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by icankel: 6:17pm On Dec 02, 2019
i asked my brother to teach me severally but he couldn't due to his nature of job (Banking), so I developed a strategy by watching him closely each time he's driving. so one day wen I was washing d car I had to do practical on myself so i had to move front and back and wen I got that perfectly I managed to passed d gate and d next thing i did was to enter road without knowing Policemen mounted somewhere oh my God I was lost because I can't turn back, so many thoughts came into my heart, my brother is not aware am driving his car secondary no money on me to settle Police officers so wen they caught me after many pleading they insist I give them 1500 then I ran home to get the money after I paid one of them helped me turn still wen I got to d gate I hit one d mirror. at last my bros found out wat I did, that's how I mastered driving and he benefited d most cos I was d one going errand for him till I left his house.

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Abanekechizoba2: 6:32pm On Dec 02, 2019
It was on a Sunday morning, I was driving to church with my kid bro and, on getting there, there was a little bit of traffic in front of church and the only option I had was to reverse and look for somewhere else to park. But I was so carried away because of the nonsense swag of driving a new car that I didn't look what was behind me,only for me to hit a datsun truck with a metal guard and, shattered the boot and bumper of the car...felt like crying
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Waffarianman(m): 6:36pm On Dec 02, 2019
Me am doing Automatic. Started since on the 16 of this month doing better tho, carried our 4runner jeep twice thank God I can drive now.
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Octaves(m): 6:37pm On Dec 02, 2019
Lovexme:
I started driving the first time I bought a car; I surprised myself. Although, I broke my right side mirror some days later grin
Tell me it was an automatic car grin
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Octaves(m): 6:46pm On Dec 02, 2019
Grupo:
I attended a driving school because I wanted to learn properly. I chose to learn with a manual.

Well, after three days in the driving school, I felt I had wasted my money because I had almost learnt everything.

For the first few days, controlling the clutch was a big problem. The car would stall easily when I stop and try to move again.

However, due to my big bike driving experience, I had to transfer bike driving knowledge to car. And it worked. I started handling the clutch like a pro. Even when starting and driving uphill, the engine would not stall.

Another thing that gave me issues was positioning. I would often think that I would hit other road users because I didn't know the distance between them and my car.

But after a few more days in the school, I mastered that as well.
the positioning thing you mention will come back briefly anytime you change car especially when you change to a bigger car
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by churchee: 6:59pm On Dec 02, 2019
presh001:
The experience get K-Leg....
At the field...

The boy that did ring bearer(6years) for me was something else...
My husband put hurdles/obstacles and asked me not to knock them down and other drive talks. The little lad was inside the car with me, as I wanted to hit one of the obstacles this boy just picked on me "Aunty, u nuh dey see the stick wey brother put for there? Ah-think en tell you say make you nuh hit am? U nuh dey see when he dey drive his own?" I nah replied him "IB, nah your talk-talk dey confuse"... "Na talk I dey talk I nuh dey touch the car oh, nuh be when brother ask you, you go say na me do you oh.... Even set when brother dey drive I dey follow am talk but the go still dey drive well"�����
The young man frustrated me and was a challenge because I wanted to prove to him that I can make it...

On lanes...
Bike men are demons.... Evil people... By and by na only two bike men I use car kiss(I didn't knock them down)

grin cheesy cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Algorithimz: 7:53pm On Dec 02, 2019
Honestly nobody taught me how to drive, The great thing Is I even started with a Manual Car, Ford Focus. Although what gave me an edge Is "I already know how to drive a tricycle" Confidence and Calmness Is all you need. Please I need help In obtaining my driver's license. I'm In need of a driving Job too. Thank you.
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by capsule(m): 8:08pm On Dec 02, 2019
Originalsly:
Most important.... the person should teach you according to international standards. Great you are learning on standard/stick shift. If the trainer is teaching you to use one foot for accelerator only.... and the other foot for brake and clutch.... stop...get a new trainer. Always..... wear your seatbelt... regardless of what anyone has to say. ... not because of laws... but it can help prevent severe injuries/death... it is about your safety. Practice signaling ... before changing lanes.... turning... and most of all glancing in your rearview mirror to know what's happening around you.

Very important, but unfortunately most Nigerian roads lack the basic road markings, posted speed limit and adequate signs.
Been driving since 2007, late this year, I moved to the Northern part of the World, I realized I had to unlearn most of my Ninja driving habits.

It's all fun, every road users here happens to know exactly what to do (bad drivers are everywhere sha).

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Sidmond: 10:19pm On Dec 02, 2019
I just ended driving class two Saturdays ago, just collected my learner's permit today but...
I don't have the confidence to enter road alone yet.

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by GideonOludayomi(m): 1:11am On Dec 03, 2019
majamajic:

in abroad it's SMS

Seat - adjustment of seat

Mirror - set the mirrors

Seat belt - wear the seat belt

I was at yaba , chatting with a driving instructor . most Nigerian instructors know nothing about driving , this guy couldn't identify common road signs , his own is just to collect money , just like u said CCC

safety first !!!

Would you blame us? most instructors don't even consider the job a profession but as a means to an end...hmm.
However, i can only be grateful to have been exposed and be retrained by an excellent hand from the UK.
We still have a long length to cover in Nigeria regarding this matter.
Thank you sir.

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Lovexme(m): 6:50am On Dec 03, 2019
Octaves:

Tell me it was an automatic car grin

It couldn't have been a manual car grin

The first and only time I tried driving a manual car, I almost burnt the clutch cheesy grin
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by Octaves(m): 9:37pm On Dec 03, 2019
Lovexme:

It couldn't have been a manual car grin

The first and only time I tried driving a manual car, I almost burnt the clutch cheesy grin
I thought as much grin
Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by temmym4(m): 2:06pm On Dec 04, 2019
FIDELITY24:
What was your first driving experience like? I started learning how to drive yesterday being 1st December 2019. It was simple but i also had some challenges, like how to release the clutch gradually and also staying in my lane when driving etc. I would love to know some of the challenges you encountered when you started driving and also things to look out for... Thank you.

I started driving early 2000s, i really didnt have much of challenges but the one i could remember was......
Imagine coming out from a T junction that looks like a hill and also with a reasonable amount of traffic, u stop for cars to pass by before you join, trying to make sure the vehicle doesn't stall while taking your leg off the clutch, trying to make sure u don't Rev/acclerate too high and at the same time making sure the vehicle doesnt roll back since other vehicle are closely behind you. Mind you, the car had no power steering

(Respect to every driver who learnt how to drive with a manual transmission)

On what to look out for..
Bn Calm and careful is your number one safeguard!
Practise makes perfection, practise more but dont push yourself, especially tight street and corners, if you can avoid that by choosing another route, please do until your build your natural confidence and not being over-confident . Apart from Fear and Shock, Overconfidence is what causes most mistakes learners do make,
even the so called professionals. You dont have to make mistakes before you are
perfect.

Side mirrors, very important, I dont know where you reside but Motorcycle riders are the most dangerous moving species on the road, they will overtake at any corner, any angle... any side of d road. (personally i cant drive a car without a side mirror or a horn in naija)

Your brake too. Never panic to a point of mistaking it for throttle/accelerator

Road signs. important.

Note down your weak points, then work on that, even if you have to go back to field and practise on the particular area you are weak at.
This particularly is where most self acclaimed professional drivers dodge.
They will be shocked to know they are not even close to perfection when they drive abroad.
Some people dont even know about giving way to traffic on the left at a roundabout, i have driven to a state where the opposite is the case.

Driving in Lagos also is another case of its own. I dunno where you stay anyway but that is a talk for another day.

For now, driving will feel like doing a big job to you. But very soon it will feel so pleasurable that the whole vehicle will become a piece of steel in your hands.

Enjoy yourself.

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by temmym4(m): 3:42pm On Dec 04, 2019
Sidmond:
I just ended driving class two Saturdays ago, just collected my learner's permit today but...
I don't have the confidence to enter road alone yet.

The way you leave your house and join others walking on the street without colliding with others? The same rule applies to cars and driving.

No one will chase u off the road, just stay on ur own lane, others will do too. By the way, just as u are scared of not damaging your vehicle, the other drivers dont want any damage to theirs. So don't give in to intimidation.

Remember those who are not as intelligent, educated or mature compared to you are driving perfectly. They dont have 2 heads, so stand up and dont be a sissy

3 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Driving Experience? by FIDELITY24(m): 4:32pm On Dec 04, 2019
temmym4:

I started driving early 2000s, i really didnt have much of challenges but the one i could remember was......
Imagine coming out from a T junction that looks like a hill and also with a reasonable amount of traffic, u stop for cars to pass by before you join, trying to make sure the vehicle doesn't stall while taking your leg off the clutch, trying to make sure u don't Rev/acclerate too high and at the same time making sure the vehicle doesnt roll back since other vehicle are closely behind you. Mind you, the car had no power steering

(Respect to every driver who learnt how to drive with a manual transmission)

On what to look out for..
Bn Calm and careful is your number one safeguard!
Practise makes perfection, practise more but dont push yourself, especially tight street and corners, if you can avoid that by choosing another route, please do until your build your natural confidence and not being over-confident . Apart from Fear and Shock, Overconfidence is what causes most mistakes learners do make,
even the so called professionals. You dont have to make mistakes before you are
perfect.

Side mirrors, very important, I dont know where you reside but Motorcycle riders are the most dangerous moving species on the road, they will overtake at any corner, any angle... any side of d road. (personally i cant drive a car without a side mirror or a horn in naija)

Your brake too. Never panic to a point of mistaking it for throttle/accelerator

Road signs. important.

Note down your weak points, then work on that, even if you have to go back to field and practise on the particular area you are weak at.
This particularly is where most self acclaimed professional drivers dodge.
They will be shocked to know they are not even close to perfection when they drive abroad.
Some people dont even know about giving way to traffic on the left at a roundabout, i have driven to a state where the opposite is the case.

Driving in Lagos also is another case of its own. I dunno where you stay anyway but that is a talk for another day.

For now, driving will feel like doing a big job to you. But very soon it will feel so pleasurable that the whole vehicle will become a piece of steel in your hands.

Enjoy yourself.
Thank you sir... Am committed to it n av been making progress gradually.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? / Nigeria Automobile Sector To Contribute 4.5% Of 2016 Global Sales / Daimler And Bosch Unveils World’s First Automated Valet Parking (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.