Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,215 members, 7,953,797 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:44 AM

Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un (9261 Views)

Enugu To Become Africa’s Silicon Valley From Leo Stan Ekeh / Boko Haram Successfully Takes Over The 2nd Largest City In Borno / Ibadan Isn't, Lagos Is The Largest City In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 12:40am On Nov 28, 2010
sigh!
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by zoraro(m): 12:41am On Nov 28, 2010
[Quote]The state has a population of 17 million out of a national estimate of 150 million. The UN estimates that at its present growth rate, Lagos state will be third largest mega city the world by Y2015 after Tokyo in Japan and Bombay in India.[/quote]

That is why I said maybe you know more than the UN. The population of Lagos State at present is 17,552,942 according to the State's website which makes it the Largest "City" in Africa today but the UN apparently doesn't know that.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 12:44am On Nov 28, 2010
zoraro:

That is why I said maybe you know more than the UN. The population of Lagos State at present is 17,552,942 according to the State's website which makes it the Largest "City" in Africa today but the UN apparently doesn't know that.

Dude, Focus!!!!

That is from the LAGOS STATE WEBSITE, which I have been posting over and over for you to read. According to the Lagos State Government, Lagos STATE, with it's population of Over 17 million is already the Largest MEGA CITY in Africa, and[b] is to become the THIRD LARGEST MEGA CITY in 2015[/b].

Why are you going back and forth about me, when the STATE tells you exactly what you need to know.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by zoraro(m): 12:49am On Nov 28, 2010
^^^^^
We have to get this info to the UN then. There must be a lot Lagos State can get from the UN for been the largest "City" in Africa.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by zoraro(m): 12:51am On Nov 28, 2010
Sorry, I have to call it a day/night it's almost 1AM here in Lagos. Thank you.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 12:54am On Nov 28, 2010
zoraro:

^^^^^
We have to get this info to the UN then. There must be a lot Lagos State can get from the UN for been the largest "City" in Africa.

a) Lagos has ALREADY surpassed the UN figure and has longed overtaken Cairo as the Largest City in Africa

b) I think it is safe to conclude at this point that the report is probably outdated.

That is safer than trying to play "CREATE A CITY THAT WORKS" or even "INJECT A CITY NAMED LAGOS ".
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by SEFAGO(m): 1:00am On Nov 28, 2010
man nigerians should stop having s.e, x and giving birth to tons of people causing overpopulation
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Horus(m): 3:23am On Nov 28, 2010
Lagos need at least 500.000 new homes over the next decade.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by mustafar1: 1:39pm On Nov 28, 2010
I laugh in brooklyn english. This argument just dey shift goalpost anyhow.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by zoraro(m): 9:35pm On Nov 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

a) Lagos has ALREADY surpassed the UN figure and has longed overtaken Cairo as the Largest City in Africa

b) I think it is safe to conclude at this point that the report is probably outdated.

That is safer than trying to play "CREATE A CITY THAT WORKS" or even "INJECT A CITY NAMED LAGOS ".

And you can't see the contradictions in your statement.  Lagos (the city that does not exist according to you) has ALREADY surpassed the UN figure and has longed overtaken Cairo as the Largest City (you mean to say the largest State/Province/Region) in Africa.
Ghana (20 million population) or some other countries should maybe also claim to be the largest "city" in Africa too.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:05pm On Nov 28, 2010
some people are sounding daft

those who say there is lagos city or new york city

there is lagos city and lagos city has the main CBD (central business district) or what is called metropolitan

though lagos is made up of borough or districts depending on the naming they use

eg if you say you live in lagos (meaning the city ) the person might wanna know which part of lagos meaning which part of lagos and that part fall under any borough or district that makes lagos city not lagos state

look at this link it show london districts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_districts_of_London

it is the same with lagos city it has it own districts that make up lagos city
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Kobojunkie: 11:26pm On Nov 28, 2010
zoraro:

And you can't see the contradictions in your statement. Lagos (the city that does not exist according to you) has ALREADY surpassed the UN figure and has longed overtaken Cairo as the Largest City (you mean to say the largest State/Province/Region) in Africa.
Ghana (20 million population) or some other countries should maybe also claim to be the largest "city" in Africa too.

Dude, I think you need to calm down , read what is given you, to understand the difference between what is being said and what you keep coming back with

a) Yes, there is NO Lagos city WITHIN Lagos State, there is only Lagos State which also happens to be known as Lagos City(Or Megacity According to the State’s own Governor)

b) The current population of Lagos State is above the approx. value of 13 million number put forth in that UN article, and that is known world over. You only find the ^13 number in outdated articles. Even the documentary(WELCOME TO LAGOS), and other documentaries on the BBC carry a more updated number than that UN article does.

Other than that, I am at this point, convinced you lot just want to argue for the sake of it. You go to the state’s own website and get official information informing you that the state is to become the 3rd largest city in the world and you feel you need to continue arguing sheepishly? Go right ahead!!! When you get Fashola to change his mind on that, let me know please!Happy Thanksgiving!
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by blackcypha(m): 3:30pm On Nov 29, 2010
most pple are jobless down here so WTF?how does the info above make life in lagos better/
pple who say is good news shud rethink cos it will be worse than this if nothing is done by the Gov to compensate for housing,more jobs and security, dat spells D.O.O.M!
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by zoraro(m): 3:38pm On Nov 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

a) Yes, there is NO Lagos city WITHIN Lagos State, there is only Lagos State which also happens to be known as Lagos City(Or Megacity According to the State’s own Governor)

b) The current population of Lagos State is above the approx. value of 13 million number put forth in that UN article, and that is known world over.  You only find the ^13 number in outdated articles. Even the documentary(WELCOME TO LAGOS), and other documentaries on the BBC carry a more updated number than that UN article does.  

Other than that, I am at this point, convinced you lot just want to argue for the sake of it. You go to the state’s own website and get official information informing you that the state is to become the 3rd largest city in the world and you feel you need to continue arguing sheepishly? Go right ahead!!! When you get Fashola to change his mind on that, let me know please!Happy Thanksgiving!

[Quote]Although Lagos state is the smallest state in Nigeria, with an area of 356,861 hectares of which 75,755 hectares are wetlands, yet it has the highest population, which is over five per cent of the national estimate.

The state has a population of 17 million out of a national estimate of 150 million. The [B]UN estimates[/b] that at its present growth rate, Lagos state will be third largest mega city the world by Y2015 after Tokyo in Japan an Bombay in India.

Of this population, [B]Metropolitan Lagos, an area covering 37% of the land area of Lagos State is home to over 85%[/b] of the State population.

The rate of population growth is about 600,000 per annum with a population density of about 4,193 persons per sq. km. In the built-up areas of Metropolitan Lagos, the average density is over 20,000 persons per square km.

Current demographic trend analysis revealed that the State population growth rate of 8% has resulted in its capturing of 36.8% of Nigeria’s urban population (World Bank, 1996) estimate at 49.8 million people of the nation’s million population. The implication is that whereas country population growth is 4/5% and global 2%, Lagos population is growing ten times faster than New York and Los Angeles with grave implication for urban sustainability.  [/quote]

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/index.php?page=subpage&spid=12&mnu=null

1. The State did not conduct the last census the Federal Government did, so I wouldn't swear by the figures in the state's website.

2. The State's website quotes the UN but you are saying the UN's figures are out dated.

3. The state's website clearly made a distinction between Metropolitan Lagos (Lagos City) and Lagos State. When I quoted a Wiki article earlier you said  the separation was arbitrary.

4. It is the population of this Metropolitan Lagos (Lagos City) i.e 85% of the population of Lagos State that makes Lagos to be the second largest city in Africa today.

5. Surely, the UN most know the difference b/w a city and a state (A city is a large and [B]densely populated urban area[/b]; may include several independent administrative districts).  

6. This website that you are touting is either incomplete or not well done, check the contact us page. I wanted to contact them concerning this issue but found it impossible.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by DapoBear(m): 4:36pm On Nov 29, 2010
^--- 8% population growth, wow!

That is insane. Good, but insane and dangerous if not managed properly.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by tevinsolt: 1:41am On Dec 01, 2010
the governor of lagos is trying is best possible to make the dream come true, we hope that his dream wont die down when other leaders get into power. smiley
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by Nobody: 9:08am On Dec 01, 2010
^^
conurbation:
an extensive urban area resulting from the expansion of several cities or towns so that they coalesce but usually retain their separate identities.

There is no physical distinction between metropolitan Lagos and the farthest reaches of Lagos state. People live in Badagry, Agbara, Ikorodu, Igando, etc, and commute to work in Victoria Island, Obalende etc, everyday.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by folem: 12:08pm On Dec 01, 2010
GAR3TH:

16 of the 20 LGA's of lagos state makes up Lagos(city). none of them are called lagos, but together the make up Lagos(city).

There is Lagos among the 16 LGA's and that it was the former F.C.T for Nigeria.

The Lagos state population figures are not realistic. The N.P.C figures are more reliable.
Re: Lagos To Become Africa’s Largest City – Un by jamesugo: 12:39pm On Dec 02, 2010
Good. Why will it not be?
The governor is doing great,people are stropping in to Lag.
LAGOS IS BEAUTIFUL.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Southwest Has Betrayed Us, In 2023, We Will Deal With Them- Gandujes' Aide / “ambode, Why Exactly Am I Here?”–buhari Reacts Angrily During Presidential Visit / Xenophobia: House May Reconvene As Gbajabiamila Cuts Short Tanzania Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.