Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors (13085 Views)

Japa: Nigeria Lost 16,000 Doctors In Five Years – Minister / It's Now One Doctor To 10,000 Patients, 4,000 Doctors To Migrate Abroad – NARD / Brain Drain: Nigeria Left With 24,000 Doctors – NMA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by greatdave(m): 8:38am On Dec 16, 2019
And one idiot once said Doctors can start farming if they are not happy!

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by Liposure: 8:41am On Dec 16, 2019
Our health sector need urgent attention

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:44am On Dec 16, 2019
ogawisdom:
More than enough doctors

We have nurses, pharmacist, MLS, chemists, herbalist, native doctor. Not every sick person needs a med doctor
u are taking this serious issue as a joke, because you are probably young, in your prime and in your best state of health, so will hardly ever have need to fall sick or visit the hospital. Don't worry the time when you might need medical attention direly is when you will know enormity of the situation.

4 Likes

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by Nobody: 8:46am On Dec 16, 2019
ogawisdom:

Do they attend to healthy people too?

Doctors are for sick ppl alone
You don't have to be sick to see a doctor.

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by Omolomo4eva(m): 8:51am On Dec 16, 2019
divide 200million by 42000,d ansa u get na im still make us remain sick as a nation.our govt na scam.d 42k sef neva reach Lagos alone

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by jedisco(m): 8:53am On Dec 16, 2019
AjalaDtraveller:
I have one experienced medical doctor friend here. He works in the warehouse. He is passing through difficult exams and certifications and he said he needs to pass them to be retrained, although it's shorter term than for a fresher. But it's really been tough for him. This is someone who was qualified to work before. Yes you may relocate but you have to pass through this hurdles to finally get the licence to be able to practice in first world countries. Its not as easy as people think.

It depends on the country.
Lots of Nigerians are able to complete the UK licensing exams from start to finish in under a year. They do this while still working in Nigeria and now migrate and start work after the exams.
Moving to countries like Saudi Arabia is easier.

The issue is migrating without a stable source of income before passing exams. Also, one should know what countries are in more need of doctors and hen8less bottlenecks. For Example, Canada doesn't need as much doctors in relative terms as UK and since they pay higher, prefer to poach the few they need from other developed countries

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by Nobody: 9:05am On Dec 16, 2019
NIGERIA Is a Nation that export what it lack and Import what it has in abundance.

2 Likes

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by Ajibade123(m): 9:26am On Dec 16, 2019
I know of a brilliant girl who applied for medicine with 276 only to be given health education....

anyway you can start your own medical practice with these checklists
https://explicitsuccess.com/how-to-start-a-medical-practice-checklist/

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by hopexter(m): 9:29am On Dec 16, 2019
VirginSearcher:

Call a spade a spade, and accept the fact that it has increased or worsened since Buhari came to power, nothing will do you if u accept the truth

It has increased yet you've not travelled out as well? Do you think if everyone has the awareness and resources, the country would still be upto 200 million people? My friend don't let your hatred for Buhari blindfold your sense of reasoning. He's the worst president ever but he's not the reason why who ever wants to travel travels out. I left the country just cos of electricity and I'm sure thousands of others did too simple.
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by voltron14: 9:32am On Dec 16, 2019
The math doesn't add up.

If there are 180 million Nigerians and 42,000 doctors it means we have 1 doctor to 4, 285 people if evenly distributed.

If you skew it urban to rural you should have the ratio drop in urban whilst rural rato increases.
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by VirginSearcher(m): 9:37am On Dec 16, 2019
hopexter:

It has increased yet you've not travelled out as well? Do you think if everyone has the awareness and resources, the country would still be upto 200 million people? My friend don't let your hatred for Buhari blindfold your sense of reasoning. He's the worst president ever but he's not the reason why who ever wants to travel travels out. I left the country just cos of electricity and I'm sure thousands of others did too simple.
I will only laugh at you because you don't know me, I still stand on my ground.. kiss the truth that Buhari has caused a lot of Nigerians to leave since he came to power due to his incompetency and cluelessness

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by SadauBeauty: 9:39am On Dec 16, 2019
SadauBeauty:
Yet they want to frustrate the few remaining with poor pay.My brother has to work in 3 different hospitals with peanut pay just to make ends meet and is already on his way out of this country..The entire health sector is in shambles.Buhari is just a curse.Woe into those that put him in power again;for ur judgment is even worse.

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by hopexter(m): 9:42am On Dec 16, 2019
VirginSearcher:

I will only laugh at you because you don't know me, I still stand on my ground.. kiss the truth that Buhari has caused a lot of Nigerians to leave since he came to power due to his incompetency and cluelessness

You need more than 300k to leave that country and I hope you know that? If people are leaving cos of incompetence, then how did they manage to save upto that amount under his government? Remember the working class with good salaries have no reason to travel out. So how're you getting your statistics?

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by onyxo76(m): 9:44am On Dec 16, 2019
my colleague relocated in October another will be leaving by January, my date is by April 2020, it's simply not worth hanging around here again, after slaving for 15 years post qualification I've had enough.

3 Likes

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by VirginSearcher(m): 9:53am On Dec 16, 2019
hopexter:

You need more than 300k to leave that country and I hope you know that? If people are leaving cos of incompetence, then how did they manage to save upto that amount under his government? Remember the working class with good salaries have no reason to travel out. So how're you getting your statistics?
That is why u have sponsor, and people who started nursing such idea began saving towards it earlier, I agree if your job is secured here no need to travel. I believe you read the thread and u are aware of the high number of travel threads here plus the huge traffic travel threads generates lately, that alone should tell you
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by hopexter(m): 10:03am On Dec 16, 2019
VirginSearcher:

That is why u have sponsor, and people who started nursing such idea began saving towards it earlier, I agree if your job is secured here no need to travel. I believe you read the thread and u are aware of the high number of travel threads here plus the huge traffic travel threads generates lately, that alone should tell you
Don't also forget that since border has been temporarily shot down, air is the next alternative, not everyone traveling out is relocating my friend, some travel out for business and pleasures consider g the numbers of people that recently travelled to Dubai. The Media only have records of those leaving the country and not those returning lol. Don't be deceived.
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by Kinggeezu: 10:09am On Dec 16, 2019
That's their business �

Just Thank God my elder bro who's a doctor went to UK last two weeks for PLAB 2 exams by early next year he's out of this shit hole !! Can't wait for him to send an invite so me too can Japa and leave this useless God forsaking country ...

Spits �

3 Likes

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by VirginSearcher(m): 10:18am On Dec 16, 2019
hopexter:
Don't also forget that since border has been temporarily shot down, air is the next alternative, not everyone traveling out is relocating my friend, some travel out for business and pleasures consider g the numbers of people that recently travelled to Dubai. The Media only have records of those leaving the country and not those returning lol. Don't be deceived.
You obviously understand the point I am making but because you support the dullard makes you defend him.. continue!!
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by hopexter(m): 10:26am On Dec 16, 2019
VirginSearcher:

You obviously understand the point I am making but because you support the dullard makes you defend him.. continue!!

It's not support, you think people travel more now, it's cos the rich are getting richer and those benefitting from the wealth toi are now travelling too for pleasures.
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by VirginSearcher(m): 10:48am On Dec 16, 2019
hopexter:

It's not support, you think people travel more now, it's cos the rich are getting richer and those benefitting from the wealth toi are now travelling too for pleasures.
My friend believe it or not people are leaving massively because he lacks direction and knows nothing.. its no doubt some people travel for business too, but among the youths a lot have left and many are still leaving since he came in, shebi he said he is fighting yeye corruption how come the rich are getting richer?
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by hopexter(m): 11:18am On Dec 16, 2019
VirginSearcher:

My friend believe it or not people are leaving massively because he lacks direction and knows nothing.. its no doubt some people travel for business too, but among the youths a lot have left and many are still leaving since he came in, shebi he said he is fighting yeye corruption how come the rich are getting richer?

You voted him in twice, if he lacks direction and knows nothing, isn't that what those who voted him in are? Stop blaming your president for those who've made some money and decided to explore the world. People are hungry, Nigeria is never gonna be enough to make money, people will always have to travel for the greenest pasture my friend. Discover to recover
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by AjalaDtraveller(f): 11:23am On Dec 16, 2019
charleymed:

License examination is required by all countries of the world. You can't practice in any country without due licensure and evaluation. A doctor migrating from the US to practice in Nigeria is required to write the Nigeria licensing exams. So, stop making a big deal out of his situation. The mistake he made was migrating before getting his license, he was not duly informed.
And please, there is no such thing as retraining of doctors. No doctor is retrained, anywhere in the world. Your speed is dependent on how smart you are, really smart doctors clear the licensing exams in 5 months, some even in a lesser time. It all depends on your drive, your friend could be having a problem with the exams, because it has been long he graduated and his knowledge isn't up to date. That is why it's better to leave when you're young, and not only when things are going bad for you.
I know one person atleast would counter claim what I see with my own very eyes. Have you been to every country in the world to conclude? And when I mean retraining I don't mean starting Bsc from year one okay?!
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by simplelad(m): 12:37pm On Dec 16, 2019
They do attend to healthy people too. A concern healthy human will always go for a check up once in a while. Not all sick people go to hospital healthy people too.
ogawisdom:

Do they attend to healthy people too?

Doctors are for sick ppl alone

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by charleymed(m): 12:42pm On Dec 16, 2019
AjalaDtraveller:

I know one person atleast would counter claim what I see with my own very eyes. Have you been to every country in the world to conclude? And when I mean retraining I don't mean starting Bsc from year one okay?!
What do you mean by retraining?
Explain it to everyone. Which country are you talking about?
Stop saying rubbish. If your friend is not up to date and decides to go for extra lessons, that's not retraining, because it's at his own discretion and not bounding on everyone. That's what I'm trying to explain to you. There's no country in this world that retrain doctors, please. Get your facts straight or better still, mention the country and the type of retraining he is undergoing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by Seyeblessed: 12:45pm On Dec 16, 2019
This is one area the government needs to focus on. Our hospitals are understaffed, underfunded and not properly equipped. Health sector workers need to be paid a living wage or they will relocate to countries that appreciate their skills. All the doctors I know - including those in my primary healthcare centre - have either relocated or are in the process of relocating.

Very soon, the only health care workers that will remain in Nigeria will be those that are unable to work elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by billbonesmd(m): 12:53pm On Dec 16, 2019
Bleep you!
Admin ban me..
Gforce2015:
Why would a doctor be trained in Nigeria with tax payers money and then leave for another country in search for greener pastures?
Federal govt shld control all these abnormalities. There should be a policy that we compel all our medical students to use the knowledge they have acquired in Nigerian institution for Nigerians. They shld be compelled to work for the country for at least 5 years before traveling out for greener pastures
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by billbonesmd(m): 1:00pm On Dec 16, 2019
You mind the ingrate
Nigerians always forming player and coach, all rounders.
Serious issues are being discussed, rather than apply demand and supply, u are encouraging the imposition of martial law. Nigerians are running away to study medicine in Ukraine, Russia, Romania under terrible conditions , and skneine is encouraging bonding home trained Nigerians who pay a fortune and spend 8 years in the average to train...

Nigerians deserve worse than Buhari...
Victorex001:

Lol, you would force a Doctor to treat you??
You clearly think like your Tyrant man crush Buhari lol...

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by seangy4konji: 1:17pm On Dec 16, 2019
They have all gone abroad to ply their trade where they are appreciated.
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by Drbolie(m): 1:19pm On Dec 16, 2019
In other word naija has 42000 registered and qualified Doctors only... with over 1m quack Doctors everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by ultron12345: 2:02pm On Dec 16, 2019
Gforce2015:
Why would a doctor be trained in Nigeria with tax payers money and then leave for another country in search for greener pastures?
Federal govt shld control all these abnormalities. There should be a policy that we compel all our medical students to use the knowledge they have acquired in Nigerian institution for Nigerians. They shld be compelled to work for the country for at least 5 years before traveling out for greener pastures

You have said the pure, undiluted truth and it is something that should be considered.

I trained as a medical doctor and I will be forever grateful to the Nigerian government for giving me that education at very little cost. Doctors in other countries pay heavily for their education and even take on student loans to help reduce the burden, loans that will continue to pay for over a decade.

The Nigerian government invests by heavily subsidizing medical education in this country, yet, at the end of it all, those whose education was subsidized will leave to other countries. Nigeria invests, while other countries reap the benefits.

Federal schools on average charge 30-40k tuition per annum, some also charge far less (Uniben charges around 15k per annum). Imagine someone who paid N15k-30k annual tuition claiming that 150k per month salary (N1.8M per annum) is too small. Nigeria is literally paying to produce medical doctors for other countries.

This thing has to be regulated. Students who study at government universities where their education is subsidized should be bonded to serve the country for 5 years. Those who want to leave before that should pay back to the government the total real cost of his or her training. Private University Medical graduates are free to do whatever they want since their education wasnt subsidized with the money of Nigerians. This should not be exclusive to medical students but to any professional course with shortages due to massive brain drain.

3 Likes

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by OnyesomJ(m): 3:00pm On Dec 16, 2019
Buhari no send anymore
His own hospital is in London so why he go worry
Even he’s Family members never step into Nigerian Hospitals

Abeg make I do comot for this Kwontri called Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

OMICRON: SA’s New COVID Cases Have Doubled In One Day, Tripled In Two Days (PIX) / 5 Natural Remedies For Purging To Avoid Antibiotics Abuse / Stop Rejecting Gunshot Victims, Police Warn Hospitals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.