Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,724 members, 7,955,729 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:57 PM

Used Phones And Laptops To Be Banned From Naija Market - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Used Phones And Laptops To Be Banned From Naija Market (1054 Views)

PDP Members Facing Corruption Charges Banned From Contesting / Deji Adeyanju Banned From Seeing Metuh In Prison / Buhari Says Hijab May Be Banned,Nigerians React On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Used Phones And Laptops To Be Banned From Naija Market by Sunnybobo3(m): 8:27pm On Nov 30, 2010
The proposed ban on refurbished phones and computers by the the National Information Development Agency (NITDA), has attracted mixed reactions among ICT vendors in the Nigerian market.

Used Cell phones
Just last week, Vanguard Cyberlife had reported that NITDA was already in top gear to get the Federal Executive Council to approve the ban on the importation of refurbished phones, computers into the country.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/11/mixed-reactions-greet-plan-to-ban-used-phones-computers/
Re: Used Phones And Laptops To Be Banned From Naija Market by texazzpete(m): 9:25pm On Nov 30, 2010
Sunny_bobo:

The proposed ban on refurbished phones and computers by the the National Information Development Agency (NITDA), has attracted mixed reactions among ICT vendors in the Nigerian market.

Used Cell phones
Just last week, Vanguard Cyberlife had reported that NITDA was already in top gear to get the Federal Executive Council to approve the ban on the importation of refurbished phones, computers into the country.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/11/mixed-reactions-greet-plan-to-ban-used-phones-computers/

So they can continue to get Zinox and Omatek to rip us off by selling crappy hardware for exorbitant amounts? No thanks!
Re: Used Phones And Laptops To Be Banned From Naija Market by DapoBear(m): 9:43pm On Nov 30, 2010
This is good. I'd rather us import computer parts into Nigeria at wholesale prices from Asia and assemble them into computers ourselves, rather than buying used computers.

This way we are least adding value to the raw pieces in our country.
Re: Used Phones And Laptops To Be Banned From Naija Market by monkeyleg: 9:53pm On Nov 30, 2010
Crazy, even the UK sells reconditioned laptops and phones. What we need ot better quality control not an outright ban. Who is devicing all these poorly thought through policies.
Re: Used Phones And Laptops To Be Banned From Naija Market by DapoBear(m): 10:57pm On Nov 30, 2010
monkeyleg:

Crazy, even the UK sells reconditioned laptops and phones. What we need ot better quality control not an outright ban. Who is devicing all these poorly thought through policies.

With laptops, how do you maintain quality control? How do you know that someone doesn't fill a nice exterior with crap parts? There is no equivalent of Dell you can buy refurbished laptops from in naija and thus guarantee quality, right?

I don't mind a ban like this. If you want a used laptop, buy one of the old ones currently in Nigeria.
Re: Used Phones And Laptops To Be Banned From Naija Market by Horus(m): 11:12pm On Nov 30, 2010
I agree with the ban. Laptops that have been used usually extensively have trouble booting, and may have dead pixels on the screen. Excessively long boot times require an investigation into your laptop.
Re: Used Phones And Laptops To Be Banned From Naija Market by monkeyleg: 11:30pm On Nov 30, 2010
@DapoBear,

Not true most refurbished laptops are not necessarily done by the manufacturer, infact many electornics shops offer the service.

It is the same argument as saying why do we let used cars into the country, after all lots of used cars arrive with nice exterior and terrible engines. It is all about quality control. Things like this must be made to go through rigorous quality tests before they are allowed in and all must have a certificate from the exporting country to verify that they are fit for purpose.

remember that the fact that they say the product is new does not necessarily means that the quality is good. this has been a long standing problem in Nigeria, not only with things that are imported, but alos locally made goods as well. Quality control is next to Nil
Re: Used Phones And Laptops To Be Banned From Naija Market by Kobojunkie: 11:48pm On Nov 30, 2010
Horus:

I agree with the ban. Laptops that have been used usually extensively have trouble booting, and may have dead pixels on the screen. Excessively long boot times require an investigation into your laptop.

That is not true of all used items. The refurbished laptops market here is millons of dollars big. I have, myself, never actually purchased any brand new laptop/computer. My first laptop I got used off of ebay and it lived from 2003 to 2008 when the screen gave out. My current machine I got used back in March of 2008, and it still purrs like a kitten.

Let the market take care of itself -- our government needs to stop coming up with these silly solutions to problems that could be easily sort themselves out if only our government played it's part better. Used machines can be just as good as brand new machines. If you don't want to purchase the crap available, then opt for better versions, rather than going for cheap copies.
Re: Used Phones And Laptops To Be Banned From Naija Market by DapoBear(m): 12:02am On Dec 01, 2010
monkeyleg:

@DapoBear,

Not true most refurbished laptops are not necessarily done by the manufacturer, infact many electornics shops offer the service.
Indeed. And if it is a good computer shop, they will use good parts. If a bad one, they'll use crap parts. You have to be very careful which type of shop you go to if you want to get value for your money.

Without this ban, Nigerians will import machines with crap parts and pass them off as good ones.

It is the same argument as saying why do we let used cars into the country, after all lots of used cars arrive with nice exterior and terrible engines. It is all about quality control. Things like this must be made to go through rigorous quality tests before they are allowed in and all must have a certificate from the exporting country to verify that they are fit for purpose.
Certificates like this can be faked, unfortunately. Or useless. Like, I can buy a certified Dell used machine, take out the high quality HD, memory and replace it with crap parts. Then sell the quality stuff here, and the crap Dell in naija. How would you suggest preventing this from happening?

(1) (Reply)

Muhammadu Sa'ad Abubakar, Sultan Of Sokoto - Opinion On Jos / , / Apocalypse Japan Thousands Feared Dead In Tsunami(pctures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.