Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,912 members, 7,828,192 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

West African Girls Enslaved In Hair Braiding Salons In The Us - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / West African Girls Enslaved In Hair Braiding Salons In The Us (2078 Views)

President Buhari Stands Tall Amongst West African Leaders (photos) / South-African Girls Arrested For Having Nigerian Friends / Enslaved In France, Nigerian Woman Fights Back (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

West African Girls Enslaved In Hair Braiding Salons In The Us by smile4kenn(m): 6:01am On Dec 02, 2010
A New Jersey man from the West African nation of Togo is behind bars after forcing at least 20 women to work without pay in hair braiding salons. According to theAssociated Press, 47-year-old Lassissi Afolabi, a citizen of the Togolese Republic, was sentenced to more than 24 years in prison after he admitted to smuggling Togolese women and girls into the U.S. from 2002 through 2007 and making the young women, in effect, modern day slaves at hair salons throughout Newark and East Orange, NJ.

The Star Ledger reported that the women suffered beatings, psychological torture and sexual abuse. A federal judge in Newark described Afolabi's crimes as "horrific" and ordered him to also repay his victims $3.9 million in restitution.

But Afolabi didn't act alone; he had help. His ex wife, Akouavi Kpade Afolabi, and her son were also convicted in the scheme. The former wife will be sentenced in September for her wrongdoing; her son has been given 55 months prison time. The trio snuck the women into the U.S. using fake visas, authorities said.

Read More http://www.kennynaija.com/2010/12/west-african-girls-enslaved-in-hair.html
Re: West African Girls Enslaved In Hair Braiding Salons In The Us by Kobojunkie: 6:30am On Dec 02, 2010
WOW . . . good to know that his ex-wife and his son will also pay for their part in the treatment of the 'slaves'.
Re: West African Girls Enslaved In Hair Braiding Salons In The Us by Nobody: 7:34am On Dec 02, 2010
Where I live there is a high concentration of Africans from the congo all the way up to senegal. My city and its two major neighboring cities boasts the highest of salons per block in the central carolina region. This is because we have alot of HBCUs (historically black colleges/universities in which alot of Africans are enrolled) and our "towns" have in recent years expanded and become populated as job opportunities have doubled.

Anyway, women from each of those countries have their own salons. Where I get my hair braided there are atleast 10 women working there; all except on who is Nigerian (young girl who is a student), are from Senegal. One day I happened to show up VERY early, as ppl who do not have reservations are S.O.L unless they get there early, and I see this van pull up. Out of the van comes 4 of the women, one with a toddler and then another van pulls up and 5 more of the women come out. I thought it looked odd, and rumors around town was that something similar to the story above was happening there, which after seeing things i now believe.

Ok so there are three west African men who I see every time I go there. They appear to be in their mid to late twenties, VERY neatly/well dressed, ALWAYS wearing shades (even @ night), expensive watches and driving nothing less than BMWs and Lexuses. they always hit on the female customers (i ignore them) but it doesn't appear that the women working care, so i summize they are related in some way or used to it. Well these guys are clearly reaping the benefits while these women are opening the shop @ around 7:30am and not leaving until 8:30 or until the last customer is taken care of. They show up at random times, go to the back of the salon, linger a bit (at this point all of the women are quiet!) and then sit on the patio and drink while talking and laughing really loud to attract attention tongue.

Just like the topic story, imagine standing on your feet for twelve hours doing micro braids, senegal twists, lock twisting; etc and someone else enjoying your profit! The women are not ragged looking but they do not appear to be making alot of money, considering the lease and bills I am sure it makes up a portion but when you have a shop FULL of ppl EVERYDAY (I see it as it is down the street from my school; PACKED!), each paying for styles no less than $180.00 and the only ppl who seem to be enjoying this only comes in the shop to show off their cars and "mack" to lady customers, something aint right.
Re: West African Girls Enslaved In Hair Braiding Salons In The Us by Akuviv: 11:06am On Dec 02, 2010
@ 9javoice: Well said. You made a mistake by replying this fstranger2 cos he made it obvious that he knows nothing. Why waste so much wisdom & knowledge on a fool (a person who claims to know much when he knows absolutely nothing). Any way take heart in the fact that some literate minds will read your post. Well done Bros.
Re: West African Girls Enslaved In Hair Braiding Salons In The Us by ChinenyeN(m): 3:50pm On Dec 02, 2010
smile4kenn:

The trio snuck the women into the U.S. using fake visas, authorities said.
Oh come on, seriously? Fake visas, and they weren't caught until now?
Re: West African Girls Enslaved In Hair Braiding Salons In The Us by DapoBear(m): 4:19pm On Dec 02, 2010
Damn. That is messed up.
Re: West African Girls Enslaved In Hair Braiding Salons In The Us by hairbraiding: 7:57am On Dec 03, 2013
Modern day slavery. Too bad. Especially knowing that the salon business is super lucrative.

www.hairbraidingnetwork.com

(1) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Mum With OBJ. / Gov. Uduaghan Vs Gov. T. A. Orji - Who Is Better? / Boko Haram: Insurgents Not Northerners —NEF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.