Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku (986 Views)

Dasukigate: I Won't Come To Court, Unless You Abduct Me - Dasuki / I won't Lose Sleep Over Criticisms Says Buhari / I Won't Appoint PDP Defectors As Ministers - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by BillGatesFan(m): 9:12am On May 28, 2007
I won't attend Yar'Adua's inauguration—Atiku

By Emmanuel Aziken
Posted to the Web: Monday, May 28, 2007

ABUJA —VICE President Atiku Abubakar said, yesterday, from the United States of America (USA) that he would not dignify the inauguration of Alhaji Umaru Yar'Adua as President tomorrow with his presence for what he called the electoral fraud that produced him (Yar'Adua).

In a message to compatriots styled as his valedictory, the out-going Vice President expressed regrets that the transition was turning into a mournful affair occasioned by the suppression of democracy in the land.

Atiku, the presidential candidate of the Action Congress (AC) in the last election, said he was going ahead to challenge the results of the presidential election in the tribunal in the hope of ensuring that the country was not allowed to sink into the abyss as a result of the last election.

In an unusual departure from recent utterances, the out-going Vice President did not mention President Olusegun Obasanjo once in the 607 worded message, but referred to the altercations between the two of them as having truncated the delivery of democracy dividend. He regretted that useful energies that should have been applied into developing the nation were channelled into harassing him and his aides.
The message:

“Dear Compatriots,

“It is with a great sense of responsibility and concern for the future of our country that I address you at this critical point of our national history.

“I regret that I will not be present at Eagle Square on May 29 to participate in the handover ceremony. I shall not dignify such a hollow ritual with my presence. Like many Nigerians, I will sit at home and meditate over what has befallen our nation and pray that God will disperse these dark clouds gathering over our beloved country.

“All is not well with our country and those who think otherwise cannot really claim to love her. Democracy is in the throes of death in Nigeria and evil forces have laid siege to our country, threatening to unleash unspeakable horrors on our future.

“It is, therefore, not surprising that our nation is at present enveloped in gloom and a sense of foreboding. A transition that should have been marked with pomp and gaiety is now being mourned by most Nigerians. Yet, those who brought us to this sorry pass want to accept this odious situation.

They keep reminding us about the so-called landmark achievement of transiting from one civilian administration to another. And we are left wondering why self-proclaimed people of integrity and honour will want to celebrate a dubious a landmark achievement.

“My position on the April elections is well-known. I do not mind repeating the fact that the April polls were substantially not free, fair and credible.

“If we, as patriots, fail to challenge the travesty that was foisted on the nation in April by a vile and desperate cabal, Nigerian democracy will wither and die. Tyranny will take over, our basic freedoms and rights will vanish and our collective values will be trampled upon without a whimper from a traumatised and cowed populace. Nigeria will again be scorned and shunned by the civilised world.

Our democracy will shrink and sink deeper into depression as a consequence of this isolation and our poverty and misery will deepen. It is to forestall these catastrophic consequences of a deeply flawed election that we have gone to court to ask for the nullification of the presidential election.

“When I left the shores of Nigeria on April 25 for a scheduled check on my injured knee, I did not envisage that it would take such a long time. My knee is healing well and I shall soon return to the country as soon as my doctors certify me fit enough to resume normal life in Nigeria. I am grateful to Nigerians for their prayers, support and well wishes.

“I thank you all for the opportunity to serve as Vice President in the past eight years. I had wished and indeed, worked, for a happy ending of this dispensation. It is regrettable that this has not been the case. I found myself in a peculiar situation in which I had to fight for my political and physical survival.

This needless persecution of my aides, supporters and myself distracted government from the delivery of democracy dividends to Nigerians. I know Nigeria deserves a better deal and how I wish that this passion to improve the lot of every Nigerian was shared by my persecutors who elevated such persecution to a state obligation.

“As we meditate for the survival of democracy in our country, let us be of good cheer because after darkness comes the dawn. May God answer our prayers for the sustenance of democracy in our country.
“I thank you and may God bless you all.”
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by Nobody: 9:30am On May 28, 2007
I really think the election was flawed.

But I trust Yaradua more than Atiku any day, anytime.

Atiku = Corruption
Buhari = Islamisation

Yaradua is the best hope. Read about how he turned Katsina around from a backward state to a fore fronter in education and basic infrastructure.

My only fear is his health - May God help Nigeria and the people who have endured years of agony and horror.
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by Afam(m): 11:26am On May 28, 2007
I guess Atiku is right not to grace the occassion but not for the reasons he is trying to sell.

If he did, then it would have been his last in Nigeria as a free person because the EFCC will be waiting for him at the gate and from May 30th he will be singing a new song.
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by McKren(m): 11:59am On May 28, 2007
Frankly if I am one of these newly elected leaders I will simply change my ways. What happened to good old honesty so that you have peace of mind.

Atiku is simply on the run, his activities is as good as that of the governor of Rivers who 8days to handover was applying for visa simultaneously to 4 counties, or that of Abia who handed over 48hours before time just to evade arrest, or that of Jigawa who speculations are that he may have escaped through one of the North Eastern borders enroute Europe or that of Igbinedion who is busy chasing and romancing Yaradua wherever he goes in the hope to extend his immunity.

Our newly elected politicians should learn that the only way out of this is to work in the interest of the people. Cant you they how the likes of Duke are so proud of themselves??
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by Nobody: 12:20pm On May 28, 2007
and pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee who needs him there? angry angry angry bullshit
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by babasin(m): 12:24pm On May 28, 2007
Atiku  =  Corruption
Buhari = Islamisation

Yaradua is a sharia apologists

He implemented sharia as Governor.

You nigerians have shallow memory!
cool shocked cool

A 27-year-old man has been hanged for murder in Nigeria in the first execution since Islamic law - or Sharia - was introduced in much of the north of the country.

The Islamic court in Katsina had initially sentenced Yakubu to die by stabbing, using the same knife he was alleged to have used to murder his victims.
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by Mamajama(m): 12:53pm On May 28, 2007
ATIKU can't attend cause he is a criminal on the run. and remember no more immunity after the 29th
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by Afam(m): 1:08pm On May 28, 2007
babasin:

Yaradua is a sharia apologists

He implemented sharia as Governor.

You nigerians have shallow memory!
cool shocked cool

The Islamic court in Katsina had initially sentenced Yakubu to die by stabbing, using the same knife he was alleged to have used to murder his victims.

It is better for you to understand what you are talking about than making crazy comments.

Sharia was introduced in Katsina state because the state house of assembly passed it into law as that was what the majority wanted.

In democracy it is correct and our constitution already made provision for the introduction and implementation of Sharia.

Well, it may be better to have shallow memory than for one to discuss off mark.
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by Mamajama(m): 1:10pm On May 28, 2007
tell them AFAM, and he wont dare to implement sharia on Nigeria, we are too diverse
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by McKren(m): 1:26pm On May 28, 2007
well that is not very accurate, there is nothing wrong about a state adopting sharia court of appeal in its legal system. But the problem is that often times states that have adopted it have always mis-applied it.
The Sharia court of appeal has no jurisdiction to hear criminal cases that is why most people who have been sentenced to death have had there case over-turned by court of appeal.

People are confusing having a type of customary court with a particular religious inclination with having a state law. There is no such thing in the constitution as a state being governed by a particular kind of law different from Nigerian constitution. That is simply illegal.

The constitution did not in any way give provision to State House of Assembly making laws that do not conform to the Nigerian Constitution which is the highest law of the land.

We need to get this straight.
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by Afam(m): 1:50pm On May 28, 2007
What exactly is not very accurate?

That the house of assembly cannot pass into law a bill to introduce Sharia in a state?

That the constitution does not make provision for Sharia to be implemented in areas that the majority wants it?

I can't remember anyone discussing Sharia as being state religion or not, my post was a direct response to someone that was making somewhat silly comments about something he/she was ignorant about.
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by sartorius(m): 1:53pm On May 28, 2007
When I left the shores of Nigeria on April 25 for a scheduled check on my injured knee, I did not envisage that it would take such a long time, very funny mr.atiku
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by sartorius(m): 1:57pm On May 28, 2007
people must remember that katsina aint nigeria, both buhari and yaradua are very religious, but i think we will do better with yaradua.buhari`s human right and undemocratic tenets disturb me more.plus pdp is a national party
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by McKren(m): 2:00pm On May 28, 2007
What exactly is not very accurate?

That the house of assembly cannot pass into law a bill to introduce Sharia in a state?

That the constitution does not make provision for Sharia to be implemented in areas that the majority wants it?

Those arguments in themselves are accurate, but the same argument in response to babasin who thinks Yaradua as Governor oversaw a legal system that implemented Sharia Law on a Criminal case, is not very accurate.
Because by that you are simply justifying the application of Sharia law to criminal cases which is not very accurate.

Besides that  the Sate House has a responsibility to ensure that their bill on Sharia comforms with the Nigerian constitution. Sharia Court of appeal only has jurisdiction on customary cases in which parties to the case subscribe to.
Anything contrary to that is an attempt to re-write the constitution through the back door.
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by BillGatesFan(m): 5:01pm On May 28, 2007
So we are have a duty to support our newly Democratically elected president.Yara dua,because it is for our own Good. Don't mind those cowards Nigerians who have impose on themselves a self impose EXILE in the United State,while calling on poor nigerian to go and die for them.

When Ikemba Odumegwu Ojukwu fought for THE REPUBLIC OF BIAFRA he did not RUN away and call on others to fight for him,thats how we know who is a real man.Not a woman in a man's SKIN
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 28, 2007
BillGatesFan:

So we are have a duty to support our newly Democratically elected president.Yara dua,because it is for our own Good. Don't mind those cowards Nigerians who have impose on themselves a self impose EXILE in the United State,while calling on poor nigerian to go and die for them.

When Ikemba Odumegwu Ojukwu fought for THE REPUBLIC OF BIAFRA he did not RUN away and call on others to fight for him,thats how we know who is a real man.Not a woman in a man's SKIN

is atiku not ashamed of himself? Sitting in his palatial home built on the backs of the suffering of the masses in the US while addressing his "compatriots"! shocked Does he know the meaning of patriotism?
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by Nobody: 7:06pm On May 28, 2007
Atiku comes across as a dodgy and shady guy.

For starters, Yaradua is an austere kind of guy and of course you can initially tell this by his trim stature.

Atiku on the other hand looks overfed and overweight, not the kind of guy that will practice self control when it comes to national resources.

You see what baffles me is the sheer number of Nigerian elites now rallying around the president and the new government, not because they have some new bright ideas, but because they want to get jobs for their cronies in high places and fill their pockets. Our corrupt politicians will never learn and greed will be their utter ruin.

In Nigeria no one is accountable to anyone, the rule of law is more or less a laugh and in a country where anything and everything goes, we really do need a man like Yaradua, a man of humble beginnings, educational enlightenment and who has an excellent record as governor of a state, to lead this great country.

This is not however negating the fact that the election was RIGGED. Yaradua would still have won despite this fact.
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 28, 2007
Atiku comes across as a dodgy and shady guy.

For starters, Yaradua is an austere kind of guy and of course you can initially tell this by his trim stature.

Atiku on the other hand looks overfed and overweight, not the kind of guy that will practice self control when it comes to national resources.

You see what baffles me is the sheer number of Nigerian elites now rallying around the president and the new government, not because they have some new bright ideas, but because they want to get jobs for their cronies in high places and fill their pockets. Our corrupt politicians will never learn and greed will be their utter ruin.

In Nigeria no one is accountable to anyone, the rule of law is more or less a laugh and in a country where anything and everything goes, we really do need a man like Yaradua, a man of humble beginnings, educational enlightenment and who has an excellent record as governor of a state, to lead this great country.

This is not however negating the fact that the election was RIGGED. Yaradua would still have won despite this fact.
Re: I Won't Attend Yar'adua's Inauguration—atiku by babasin(m): 8:23pm On May 28, 2007
Sharia was introduced in Katsina state because the state house of assembly passed it into law as that was what the majority wanted.

Yaradua is a sharia apologist. He implemented sharia as Governor!

(1) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With Bayelsa? They Even Reject Their Own Based On Tribalism / Obasanjo - Nigeria's Greatest Leader. / 10 Years After: How Do You Remember Abacha?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.