Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,745 members, 7,851,559 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:51 PM

Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches (9739 Views)

President Buhari Ends Estimated Billing In Nigeria / Africa’s Court Of Human Rights On The Brink Of Collapse / Like Predecessors, Buhari Ends First Term Violating Nigeria’s Procurement Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jan 10, 2020
jabor4Naija:
No local station will be able to pay to show d league, buhari pls and pls leave dstv alone so dey can continue to put a smile on millions of nigerians faces ehn na beg i beg u. U ve done more harm dan good since u became president so pls don't add dis to ur list of destruction

Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by futuregovernor: 8:34pm On Jan 10, 2020
Randy100:
Sai to the lifeless one. We all love football.
hahahahahha
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by Zooposki(f): 8:36pm On Jan 10, 2020
chriskosherbal:
Wait ooo how true?

But wait EPL taken away from supersport hmmmm inasmuch as l support patronizing local made goods it is not a yadstick to give a child an adult equipment oooo. I don't play with the premier league is equal to food to me, so plz federal govt should find a very good alternative to air these matches without any technical hitch cos I can't really vouch for the Nigerian television Authority (NTA).

Now that Liverpool are close to winning thier first premier since 1990, and the champions tie between Real Madrid and Man city closeby ...e nu go funny.ooo

You guys love football so much. Why can’t you develop your local league? I don’t get it.
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by Kingspin(m): 8:39pm On Jan 10, 2020
Give us road and power. Human right

All these other things government does not imparting the country.

What goal? Na goal we go chop?
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by costandi(m): 8:52pm On Jan 10, 2020
DSTV's exclusive right to air premiership is for Sub-Saharan Africa. By the way it isn't the NBC that grants such rights, its's handled by the competition organizers.
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by tinsel: 9:02pm On Jan 10, 2020
GamalNasser:
That's for the English premiership rights board to decide not Nigeria ..Nigeria can grow her own league then decide how she wants to allot the rights .. shouldn't the govt be telling us their plans for electricity instead of this ? DSTV pays over 100 million pounds to get the broadcast rights for Nigeria for just 2 seasons so nothing stops Lai Mohammed from paying 150 million pounds and getting the rights so he can broadcast free lets see
Read well. If the English premiership decides that the multichoice monopoly will continue, then premiership will.be banned from showing in Nigeria. It is against the law of the land. The best decision ever by Buhari.
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by GamalNasser: 9:05pm On Jan 10, 2020
tinsel:

Read well. If the English premiership decides that the multichoice monopoly will continue, then premiership will.be banned from showing in Nigeria. It is against the law of the land. The best decision ever by Buhari.

Then they should ban it then !!!!!! Instead of you and lai Mohammed to go and look for 150 million pounds to buy the rights you are here looking for shortcut , were you the ones that gave DSTV the last 115 million pounds they used to buy rights ?
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by tinsel: 9:05pm On Jan 10, 2020
GamalNasser:

No station can broadcast anything stop fooling yourself please ..Is it you and Lai Mohammed that will refund Multichoice the over 100 million pound they paid for the rights ?
Simple it will not be shown in Nigeria.
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by KarsanHughston: 9:06pm On Jan 10, 2020
[s]
Johans1991:
pls go back and read again before disgracing your mother on social media
[/s]
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by GamalNasser: 9:12pm On Jan 10, 2020
tinsel:

Simple it will not be shown in Nigeria.

Typical Buharist and sadism
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by ikennamadu1(m): 10:37pm On Jan 10, 2020
GamalNasser:

No station can broadcast anything stop fooling yourself please ..Is it you and Lai Mohammed that will refund Multichoice the over 100 million pound they paid for the rights ?
You just dey counter everybody... Oga calm down make I no turn you to Wall gecko

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by GamalNasser: 10:41pm On Jan 10, 2020
ikennamadu1:

You just dey counter everybody... Oga calm down make I no turn you to Wall gecko

Sorry no turn me ooo cheesy cheesy
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by Dtribeless: 10:52pm On Jan 10, 2020
Zooposki:

You guys love football so much. Why can’t you develop your local league? I don’t get it.

Says a man chatting on local internet.
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by Dtribeless: 10:54pm On Jan 10, 2020
[quote author=tinsel post=85686592]
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by Zooposki(f): 10:56pm On Jan 10, 2020
Dtribeless:

Says a man chatting on local internet.

Lol. I’m a female. I don’t like football nor watch it.
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by Dtribeless: 10:56pm On Jan 10, 2020
tinsel:

Read well. If the English premiership decides that the multichoice monopoly will continue, then premiership will.be banned from showing in Nigeria. It is against the law of the land. The best decision ever by Buhari.[/quote]

Tinsel, Buhari has made a lot of bad decisions but this best is also horrific per usual. How can he ban what he doesn't control? DSTV will simply stop showing it in Nigeria. The English FA owns and sells the right to whomever. The idiotic president and Liar can't figure that out -- too complex. Tinsel, take the tin foil off

1 Like

Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by Dtribeless: 10:58pm On Jan 10, 2020
Zooposki:

Lol. I’m a female. I don’t like football nor watch it.

Oh yeah, how considerate? I hope he bans female care materials too.
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by frugal(m): 5:26am On Jan 11, 2020
GamalNasser:

Then they should ban it then !!!!!! Instead of you and lai Mohammed to go and look for 150 million pounds to buy the rights you are here looking for shortcut , were you the ones that gave DSTV the last 115 million pounds they used to buy rights ?
The government is simply saying 'share the rights' so other paytv companies can survive. Dont use your financial strength and clout to muscle out the small guy. This is good and should be commended.
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by KLEINBASS: 7:24am On Jan 11, 2020
The EPL rights will not be affected by this law as their not controlled by Nigerian laws and they can sell to who ever they want at their own market value. The law will only be for sports within Nigeria or sports of public interest to Nigerians mind you EPL is for the privileged is not a right to the Nigerian public.

The South African regulators are trying to do the same with local:rugby, Cricket and soccer, however the country can not afford such because this law will have a negative impact to the revenue of the league which will affect the clubs as funding will reduce meaning they would not be able to compete for big names in the market reducing professional sport into farmers leagues.

The truth is professional sports is is no longer a recreational thing, It is profit driven and run with capitalism ideology. TV rights is the main funders of sports. It is the duty of state run broadcasters to bid for the rights at market value and distribute fairly as deemed by government.
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by great664(m): 8:06am On Jan 11, 2020
Daviddson:
They don't have such power. DStv purchased the broadcasting right from whomever has the right in the UK with millions of pounds. In fact, sometimes, they also purchase that exclusive right to cover and broadcast a Super Eagles game being played in Nigeria.

Correct but the new law is share to the indigenous station for a fee(not free) instead of not sharing content at all...

And Yes, DSTV can look for loophole and high the amount so locals won't be able to to pay, so it won't be their fault...

1 Like

Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by edoairways: 8:46am On Jan 11, 2020
tinsel:

Would multichoice stop airing it should the government ban them ?
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by edoairways: 8:48am On Jan 11, 2020
KLEINBASS:
The EPL rights will not be affected by this law as their not controlled by Nigerian laws and they can sell to who ever they want at their own market value. The law will only be for sports within Nigeria or sports of public interest to Nigerians mind you EPL is for the privileged is not a right to the Nigerian public.

The South African regulators are trying to do the same with local:rugby, Cricket and soccer, however the country can not afford such because this law will have a negative impact to the revenue of the league which will affect the clubs as funding will reduce meaning they would not be able to compete for big names in the market reducing professional sport into farmers leagues.

The truth is professional sports is is no longer a recreational thing, It is profit driven and run with capitalism ideology. TV rights is the main funders of sports. It is the duty of state run broadcasters to bid for the rights at market value and distribute fairly as deemed by government.
Meaning it is a luxury. It is beyond the reach of low income earners
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by tinsel: 8:48am On Jan 11, 2020
edoairways:

Would multichoice stop airing it should the government ban them ?
Yes
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by edoairways: 8:51am On Jan 11, 2020
tinsel:

Yes
But Nigeria has a large market would they just let go?
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by GamalNasser: 9:08am On Jan 11, 2020
frugal:

The government is simply saying 'share the rights' so other paytv companies can survive. Dont use your financial strength and clout to muscle out the small guy. This is good and should be commended.

The premiership doesn't allow you to resell it's TV rights
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by Yorubaskullmine: 9:17am On Jan 11, 2020
chriskosherbal:
Wait ooo how true?

But wait EPL taken away from supersport hmmmm inasmuch as l support patronizing local made goods it is not a yadstick to give a child an adult equipment oooo. I don't play with the premier league is equal to food to me, so plz federal govt should find a very good alternative to air these matches without any technical hitch cos I can't really vouch for the Nigerian television Authority (NTA).

Now that Liverpool are close to winning thier first premier since 1990, and the champions tie between Real Madrid and Man city closeby ...e nu go funny.ooo
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by babyfaceafrica: 9:32am On Jan 11, 2020
Dtribeless:

Tinsel, Buhari has made a lot of bad decisions but this best is also horrific per usual. How can he ban what he doesn't control? DSTV will simply stop showing it in Nigeria. The English FA owns and sells the right to whomever. The idiotic president and Liar can't figure that out -- too complex. Tinsel, take the tin foil off

DSTV will simply stop showing it in Nigeria.

If dstv refuses to sell the rights to local channels at affordable prices, please let them stop showing it... Simple!!... In as much as I love football, monopoly is bad!!
Re: Buhari Ends DSTV Exclusive Rights On EPL Matches by frugal(m): 9:33am On Jan 11, 2020
GamalNasser:

The premiership doesn't allow you to resell it's TV rights
After seeing this comment, I looked up EPL broadcasting rights in different regions/countries. Some countries have up to three different companies sharing broadcast rights. So it's possible to sell/share rights between two or more bidders in a region.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Court Nullifies Babayemi's Expulsion From PDP / Why Buhari Will Get Less Than 1% Igbo Vote / College Of Education Zing Taraba State In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.