Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,083 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) (5151 Views)

America Replies Nigeria, Releases Details Of Aid To Nigerian Military / The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? / Anambra Is The Brain Box Of Nigeria-jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by igbobuigbo: 4:51am On Dec 05, 2010
Brain box of Nigeria (Ndubuisi Ekekwe) releases Nigerian Tablet PC, OVIM

http://goafrit./2010/11/15/ovim-arrives-%E2%80%93-nigeria%E2%80%99s-tablet-pc/
http://www.connectnigeria.com/news/microscale-embedded-ltd-partner-fasmicro-ltd-to-launch-ovim-tablet-pc/84

Today, using instances of superior achievements, I am ready to send the bigot fstranger AKA stranger AKA strangerf to an early grave. RIP, nincompoop.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by igbobuigbo: 5:23pm On Dec 05, 2010
Where is the bigot fstranger? Is he dead with envy already?
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by Ojiofor: 5:33pm On Dec 05, 2010
congrats to prof Ndubuisi,thats the Biafran spirit.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by Pharoh: 7:11pm On Dec 05, 2010
This is good news and i hope Nigerians embrace it instead of the apple ipad, hope we will move towards phone production as well.

We need to support our home grown companies like zinox as well.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by igbobuigbo: 7:21pm On Dec 05, 2010
^^^^^^
Yeah the guy is already employing graduates and the good thing, he brought his investment as close home as possible

http://fasmicro.com/Jobs.aspx
http://fasmicro.com/default.aspx
http://fasmicro.com/OurBoard.aspx
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by Bishopking: 8:55pm On Dec 05, 2010
The guy is simply 'too much' I just read his profile on TED website (anybody can have a profile there as membership is free and not strictly monitored). Here is what I copied from http://www.ted.com/index.php/profiles/bio/id/373125

Ndubuisi Ekekwe holds two doctoral and four master’s degrees, including a PhD in electrical and computer engineering from the Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore and MBA from University of Calabar, Nigeria, by March 2009. He founded Ultinet Systems-an IT & telephony firm- and formerly held the title of Banking Executive with Diamond Bank Plc, Lagos. He is the Founder of the non-profit African Institution of Technology and has held visiting positions in three African universities. A US semiconductor industry veteran, he blogs at Harvard Business Review site. He is also an Adjunct Professor of Electrical & Computer Engineering, Babcock University, Nigeria

He authored Adaptive Application-Specific Instrumentation and Control Microsystems, and Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy: Corrosion Behavior Application, and edited Nanotechnology and Microelectronics: Global Diffusion, Economics and Policy.

An inventor, he developed and filed a patent on microchip used in minimally invasive surgical robots and has authored many journal and conference papers. As a student, he worked on the NASA Jet Propulsion project- distribution of HV and HF in the space environment. Dr. Ekekwe has organized more than thirty five seminars and workshops on technology design, innovation and diffusion across Africa for schools, small firms and governments. He obtained BEng electrical & electronics engineering from Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria (FUTO, Aug 1998) where he finished top of his class.

As Director of Research of a student body, he helped installed a students-designed and -managed Campus-wide [size=14pt]FM Radio Station[/size] (one of few in Africa). Also in FUTO, he founded, edited and published FUTO Bubbles- a campus newsmagazine. It was in its debut edition that Prof SOE Ogbogu said the iconic words "there are two universities in Nigeria: FUTO and others'. Dr Ekekwe was also a member of the Students Union Constitution Review Committee.

He is highly awarded. And some of his awards/fellowships include: Johns Hopkins University Whiting School of Engineering fellowship, United States National Science Foundation ERC fellowship, Jay D Samstag fellowship, United Kingdom Congress on Computer Assisted Orthopedic Surgery fellowship, United States Electrical Manuf. & Coil Winding Association scholarship, University Scholar (FUTO), Johns Hopkins Institutions Diversity Recognition Award (nominee), TED fellowship, Visiting Fellow (IUO, Nigeria), Grandeur Magazine's one of Nigeria's Most Influential Youth of the 21st Century, Harvard Business School & Hess Fund (1978) Ex-Ed scholarship, etc.

He is the General Chair of African-wide Microelectronics & Entrepreneurship Rainfall School + Tech Business Plan Competition to be held in Nigeria. In May[size=14pt] 2009[/size], he became the youngest scholar to deliver Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria (15th) Public Lecture of the University. Ndubuisi served in the United States National Science Foundation ERC/CISST E&grin committee for four years.

Prof Ekekwe, featured in [size=14pt]Marquis' Who's Who in America[/size], is the Chair, IEEE Boston GOLD Executive Committee. He is a Non-executive Board member of Temple & Aegeandas- an investment banking firm in Lagos (Nigeria); Founder/Non-Executive Chair, Board of Directors, First Atlantic Semiconductors & Microelectronics Ltd, Aba, Nigeria; and Founding Board member of Germany-based Afriscience. In 2009, the Nigerian government nominated him to the ($180m grant) World Bank-Nigeria STEPB Int'l Advisory Board. [size=12pt]He authored Nigeria's Vision 2020 Microelectronics thematic area [/size][/b]and holds [size=14pt][b]all-time best
GCE/SSCE
[/size] result of STS, Ovim, Nigeria.

If these 'achievements' are attributed to one man Ndubuisi Ekekwe, the God don bless Africa o,

The guy got 2 PhD and 4 Master degrees within 11 years (1998 -2009  last time he updated his profile)! WOW!! And he has written books on varied disciplines!!! My God,

This guy should be given the mantle of leadership in the whole of Africa come January 2011. We should entrust him first with the leadership of soon-to-be-created Southern Sudan!!
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by texazzpete(m): 9:24pm On Dec 05, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Brain box of Nigeria (Ndubuisi Ekekwe) releases Nigerian Tablet PC, OVIM

http://goafrit./2010/11/15/ovim-arrives-%E2%80%93-nigeria%E2%80%99s-tablet-pc/
http://www.connectnigeria.com/news/microscale-embedded-ltd-partner-fasmicro-ltd-to-launch-ovim-tablet-pc/84

Today, using instances of superior achievements, I am ready to send the bigot fstranger AKA stranger AKA strangerf to an early grave. RIP, nincompoop.

That's an Android Tablet, not a 'Tablet PC'. There's a huge difference.
Secondly, there's nothing really 'Nigerian' about this; from the screenshots I saw, it looks just like a rebadged version of a generic Android tablet that's been rebadged by many other companies such a viewsonic.
I'm somewhat apprehensive of the resolution (only 800 x 480) and the possibility that the tablet will employ a resistive screen to minimize cost.
The guy who wrote that 'goarit' blog in the link you provided should be ashamed of himself. I cringed when I read his description of the device.
If they can keep the price Dow
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by oge4real(f): 9:27pm On Dec 05, 2010
God bless Federal Republic of Nigeria. We have great men and women of valour.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by igbobuigbo: 9:39pm On Dec 05, 2010
texazzpete:

That's an Android Tablet, not a 'Tablet PC'.

That is what he calls his product. Dont know if you know nomenclatures better than the owner http://goafrit./2010/11/15/ovim-arrives-%E2%80%93-nigeria%E2%80%99s-tablet-pc/

The Nigerian in my title is in the spirit. But he will also be making it in Nigeria and is already employing people.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by Bishopking: 10:36pm On Dec 05, 2010
igbobuigbo:

That is what he calls his product. Dont know if you know nomenclatures better than the owner http://goafrit./2010/11/15/ovim-arrives-%E2%80%93-nigeria%E2%80%99s-tablet-pc/

The Nigerian in my title is in the spirit. [size=14pt]But he will also be making it in Nigeria and is already employing people[/size].

Like the way he got 2 PhD and 4 Master degrees within 11 years. cheesy
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by texazzpete(m): 10:42pm On Dec 05, 2010
igbobuigbo:

The Nigerian in my title is in the spirit. But he will also be making it in Nigeria and is already employing people.

The guy who wrote that blog post is not Mr. ekekwe. Did you even read through what you posted?
He knows the product more than a layman would. Unfortunately for him, I'm not a layman. And you don't have to get all defensive smiley

Also, those tablets will not be built in Nigeria. They'll just be rebranded here and sold.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by aljharem(m): 11:06pm On Dec 05, 2010
God bless nigeria, i know nigeria would get there one day

but igbobuigbo u are an eediot ur u using this as an ethnic thing to spite other people

u have serious problem in ur head

that is why u should just stay in usa or where u are because u bring this mentality to the north or sw, u would get killed without anyone even remembering u or ur body

just to advice u

1 Like

Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by Bishopking: 11:31pm On Dec 05, 2010
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by princejude(m): 9:32am On Feb 11, 2011
The official launch of our contract design and manufacturing services will now hold on the 26th of February 2011. Please click here to download the agenda. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by this shift in date.

Venue is: No. 12 Abdulrahman Okene Road, opposite Assa Pyramid Hotels, off independence way, Kaduna

Our CDM srvice has already been utilised by a number of clients to build products including an Inverter PCB design and also the Ovim tablet both of which are already in the market.
We hereby wish to use this opportunity to invite the general public to this event.
The event is open to all without discrimination; however, we will be especially interested in the following:

1. Entrepreneur and businesses looking to make a new product or who want to be a distributor for some of our existing products.
2. Engineering firms and research institutes wishing to leverage our services to develop their own products.
3. Individuals, students, coppers and engineers, who are interested in a career in electronics design and embedded software. You can come and learn from us and we also are interested in outsourcing some of our jobs to qualified individuals who can deliver.

NOTE: NO GATE FEE. IT IS FREE. JUST COME AND SEE OUR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES AND ALSO LISTEN TO A PRESENTATION BY OUR FOUNDER TITLED "THE ROAD MAP TO AFRICA'S TECHNOLOGY REVOLUTION"

for more info click: http://www.microscale-embedded.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=1
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by ElRazur: 9:44am On Feb 11, 2011
texazzpete:

That's an Android Tablet, not a 'Tablet PC'. There's a huge difference.
Secondly, there's nothing really 'Nigerian' about this; from the screenshots I saw, it looks just like a rebadged version of a generic Android tablet that's been rebadged by many other companies such a viewsonic.

Gbam.

Glad you mentioned it. I do not see how this is Nigerian in anyway. Any one able to place an order of 1k unit from manufacturers in China and Taiwan can get the same thing with a customised (generic) linux on it.

I guess this is just another "invention" of Nigeria like the guy who "invented" "fueless" generator or something. Smh.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by obowunmi(m): 9:51am On Feb 11, 2011
**Boring**
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by princejude(m): 10:06am On Feb 11, 2011
OVIM IS AN ANDROID TABLET. WE DID THE DESIGN HERE IN NIGERIA (SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR NIGERIAN ENVIRONMENT BY NIGERIAN ENGINEERS & PROGRAMMERS) AND THE FABRICATION WAS MADE OVERSEAS. FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT OVIM, COME TO THE CONTRACT DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING LAUNCH OR ASK YOUR QUESTION ON
http://microscale-embedded.com/ovim/
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by na2day(m): 10:20am On Feb 11, 2011
The guy 's resume might read like the life time achievements of Leonardo da Vinci,  but the tablet in question does not illustrate any of the purported innovations of d man, dats just a low end android tablet that can be bought on the net for as low as $100.
Ignorance is a bad thing, last year India minister of communication came out to tell d world that they are making the cheapest tablet PC of $35, not long after it was discovered that it was just a Chinese pad, though China is d world's industry but for d fact that d minister touted d pad as an Indian production, people were calling for his head.  
We need to leave behind our propensity for glorifying the mundane!
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by AjanleKoko: 11:16am On Feb 11, 2011
Pretty good, not ground-breaking though.
The whole world is in the tablet game. I see Chinese-made tablets at least once a week these days.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by macjive01: 12:21pm On Feb 11, 2011
this is interesting! see naija sha!
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by princejude(m): 4:27pm On Feb 11, 2011
The best way to predict the future is to create it
We predict that the Nigerian economy will grow by 5 folds to become a trillion dollar economy by the year 2025.
Join us at our CDM event this february(26th) as we present the "Roadmap to Africa's Technology Revolution".
Come and see how you can position yourself to benefit and how you can contribute to make this dream come true!

Follow us on Facebook here:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Microscale-Embedded/113981061965279

MICROSCALE EMBEDDED, SOWING THE SEEDS TO AFRICA'S DIGITAL REVOLUTION
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by nwaigbomg(m): 11:51pm On Feb 11, 2011
IT SHALL BE WELL WITH IGBOS, THE AFRICAN TIGERS

THEY HAVE EXCELLED IN VARIOUS ENDEAVOURS COMPARED TO ANY GROUP IN AFRICA

WE NEED MORE LIKE U

JUST LIKE MY OWN BOTHER STAN EKEH FROM UBOMIRI, MBAITOLI, IMO STATE--------OWNER OF ZINOX COMPUTER, THE BIGEST INGENEOUS TECHNOLOGY IN AFRICA

PROF PHILIP EMEAGWALI

IFEDIASO INNOCENT CHUKWUMA---- OWNER OF INNOSON MOTORS AND MOROR CYCLES,

IGBO KWENU
[i][/i][color=#770077][/color]
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by proudly9ja(m): 12:27am On Feb 12, 2011
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by police27: 8:43am On May 09, 2011
D price of 50k is outrageous,  The real price is this piece considering the really low specs is btw 50$-85$ max @ wholesale price,
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Releases 'Nigerian Tablet PC, Ovim (after Ovim, Abia state) by htajz: 8:53pm On May 09, 2011
this is nice , if not for curruption we would have surpassed even the asian tigers by now.

(1) (Reply)

Geographical Location. . . . . How Did The Igbos Come To Be Known As Easterners? / Real Reasons GEJ Sack Andrew Yakubu / Positive Things Restructuring Nigeria Will Bring! - Foreign Diplomat Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.