Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen (40497 Views)

Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign / Malami Asks US To Extradite Azuka Jebose For Defaming Ned Nwoko / Dino Melaye To To Sue Yahaya Bello And Local Government Caretaker Chairmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by Hamazz1: 11:25pm On Jan 20, 2020
Instead of directing Makinde to revert , push on autonomy for the LGAs let's have an accountable 3rd tier.
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by MztaIkp(m): 11:31pm On Jan 20, 2020
mascot87:
I support Malami on this

But does he have the constitutional power to issue such directive?
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by omoiyalayi(m): 11:33pm On Jan 20, 2020
The headline is misleading

It wasn't only makinde

The letter sent to makinde was also sent to other governor that have created caretaker committee in their local government instead of elected local government chairmen

Almost all the governor are guilty of this unconstitutional act thereby making the chairmen unproductive by hijacking money meant for them
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by Gazzy88(m): 11:36pm On Jan 20, 2020
seunmsg:

Stop lying. Local governments in Lagos, Ogun and Ekiti are currently administered by elected council officials.
Don't know about others but ogun state recently sworn in caretaker chairmen in LGAs across the state. Read up the news online and stop disgracing yourself. Besides, I live in ogun state.

1 Like

Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by bekpo(m): 11:41pm On Jan 20, 2020
omowolewa:
Malami should just encourage the parties concerned to go to court.

Malami should be clear in his statementd, people would misconstrue his advise as judgement which only a court can order given his position.
There r litany of Supreme court decisions declaring illegal caretaker committees. Which court again do u expect them to approach? Malami has done d needful, only that he needed to give them ultimatum to comply and such should be accompanied with a sanction of such Gov.
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by Nobody: 11:42pm On Jan 20, 2020
From what I read up there, the letter was directed to all the governors in Nigeria that are running illegal LG council chairmen. Not only Makinde of Oyo State
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by DNA4ALL(m): 11:44pm On Jan 20, 2020
Nalani is taking the fight to seyi seeing him as One of the arrowhead of Amotekun. he's trying to fight through the backdoor and look to be in charge. If am Gov seyi, I will reply him by saying court should decide not him. He's ordering seyi. That's unacceptable.
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by bekpo(m): 11:44pm On Jan 20, 2020
MztaIkp:

But does he have the constitutional power to issue such directive?

Yes he has d constitutional power to issue such directives for compliance of d supreme courts decisions on caretaker committees in LGCs.
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by Bigii(m): 11:45pm On Jan 20, 2020
Ykc2:
live as in living or leave lipsrsealed

Mr grammarian, live or leave, my message has been passed. The most important thing is; Communication has takes place. N'Lders got what I meant tongue
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by tomju(m): 12:03am On Jan 21, 2020
seunmsg:
In as much as I condemn the illegality of dissolving elected councils and replacing them with caretaker committees that are unknown to law, I must also state that the AGF doesn’t have the power to issue directive to the governor on the matter. At best, he can offer his legal opinion on the matter and nothing else. The right thing is for the lawfully elected council members to institute legal action against the governor.
You are wrong sir. The attorney general has the locus standi to direct state governors to do the right thing. The constitutional provisions are very clear. Every minister is representing Mr President. It is called Delegated Legislation. "The intricacies and complexities of modern government have proved beyond doubt that the delegation of legislative powers to administrative agencies is a compulsive necessity. In no democratic society committed to the establishment of a welfare state, the legislature monopolizes the legislative power. It will be futile for the legislature to solve the ever increasing social and economic problems, unless it shares some of its powers with the executive and other administrative organs of the state." What the attorney gemeral just did is federal government that is doing it. That is not just mere rhetoric but a policy statement. If a man can discontinue a court case (Nolle prosequi) and no one can ask questions what is more? Afterall, the supreme court had ruled inter alia that the state governors cannot dissolve elected council officials.
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by Nobody: 12:03am On Jan 21, 2020
AGF does not have the authority to boss the governor around, what he should have done was secure a court order then direct npf to enforce.

If only elected officials would actually understand their own remit and also seek legal advice, but all the chairmen are interested in is contracts, budget and the likes (hard cash that they can steal). None of them bothers to study the scope of their powers under the constitution.
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by Teenaira: 12:04am On Jan 21, 2020
mascot87:
I support Malami on this

Which Malami ? The same Malami that will never advise the federal government to obey a court order but now trying to usurp the power of the courts. This is arrant nonsense.
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by Ekken: 12:24am On Jan 21, 2020
I wonder
Realdeals:
Dapo Abiodun of Ogun state will definitely do the same, where is the letter?
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by ProudDick: 12:35am On Jan 21, 2020
tomju:

You are wrong sir. The attorney general has the locus standi to direct state governors to do the right thing. The constitutional provisions are very clear. Every minister is representing Mr President. It is called Delegated Legislation. "The intricacies and complexities of modern government have proved beyond doubt that the delegation of legislative powers to administrative agencies is a compulsive necessity. In no democratic society committed to the establishment of a welfare state, the legislature monopolizes the legislative power. It will be futile for the legislature to solve the ever increasing social and economic problems, unless it shares some of its powers with the executive and other administrative organs of the state." What the attorney gemeral just did is federal government that is doing it. That is not just mere rhetoric but a policy statement. If a man can discontinue a court case (Nolle prosequi) and no one can ask questions what is more? Afterall, the supreme court had ruled inter alia that the state governors cannot dissolve elected council officials.

He lost the locus standi when he and his principal refuse to obey court orders. How do you want me to obey court orders when you don’t. Buhari has introduced anarchy into Nigerian polity.

1 Like

Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by ProudDick: 12:37am On Jan 21, 2020
Basher8583:

Hmmm. Your case is like when illiterates are given the opportunity to talk.
Illiterate aboki. Does your malami obey court orders?
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by ProudDick: 12:38am On Jan 21, 2020
Yusman316:

Sir, he is acting on order of a court. He was directed by the court to take this action

When does malami starts obeying court orders?
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by blaqoracle: 12:44am On Jan 21, 2020
seunmsg:
In as much as I condemn the illegality of dissolving elected councils and replacing them with caretaker committees that are unknown to law, I must also state that the AGF doesn’t have the power to issue directive to the governor on the matter. At best, he can offer his legal opinion on the matter and nothing else. The right thing is for the lawfully elected council members to institute legal action against the governor.
no wonder you people fail in law school. A supreme court has given a pronouncement on an issue, you are saying that they should go to court
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by Trimque2k1(m): 1:05am On Jan 21, 2020
omowolewa:

Malami should be clear in his statementd, people would misconstrue his advise as judgement which only a court can order given his position.
but he cited a judgement of the supreme court as he advised them na
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by obalex89: 1:42am On Jan 21, 2020
“So, also any system of local government run by caretaker committee are outrightly illegal and unconstitutional”.same law goes for kwara APC and Oyo PDP.
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by Yankee101: 1:43am On Jan 21, 2020
Ameotekun lash back
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by 9jahotblog: 1:59am On Jan 21, 2020
emmykk:

Amoteku arrow head is been attack
ajimobi algon chairmen are gone for good .The same malami doesn't understand the Nigerian law. He's a sharia lawyer.
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by 9jahotblog: 2:03am On Jan 21, 2020
GidiWoodsMan:
AGF does not have the authority to boss the governor around, what he should have done was secure a court order then direct npf to enforce.

If only elected officials would actually understand their own remit and also seek legal advice, but all the chairmen are interested in is contracts, budget and the likes (hard cash that they can steal). None of them bothers to study the scope of their powers under the constitution.
Ajimobi algon chairmen are gone for good . There was a law that stop ajimobi to conduct the local government elections in the first place when he was the governor in 2018/2019 then. Still some people don't understand the law. Dissolve kooo, delay niii.

1 Like

Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by 9jahotblog: 2:05am On Jan 21, 2020
DNA4ALL:
Nalani is taking the fight to seyi seeing him as One of the arrowhead of Amotekun. he's trying to fight through the backdoor and look to be in charge. If am Gov seyi, I will reply him by saying court should decide not him. He's ordering seyi. That's unacceptable.
malami the sharia lawyer is just deceiving himself and his Apc members. Make I sit down and chop my jollof rice jare.
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by Nobody: 2:09am On Jan 21, 2020
Sonoyom:
Am surprised that 'lawyer who doesn't know the law' now understands what unconstitutional means.
Maybe detaining an individual after the individual had been given bail is 'constitutional' in Malami's version of the constitution. inanggg

What do u expect from an almajiri
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by 3Ceagle(m): 2:36am On Jan 21, 2020
garfield1:

Oga the supreme court has already ruled that is why he is writing that later.makinde must obey

Selective enforcement of our laws is the main issue, because all level of govermnent do not readily obey court order in Naija. When the father of the house chooses which house rule to accept what will the children do? Are there punitive measure that can be evoked by the the NA or the Executive to compel the defaulting governors to obey court orders.
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by allthingsgood: 3:00am On Jan 21, 2020
omowolewa:

Supreme Court has already given judgment. He is asking them to comply
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by garfield1: 3:07am On Jan 21, 2020
3Ceagle:

Selective enforcement of our laws is the main issue, because all level of govermnent do not readily obey court order in Naija. When the father of the house chooses which house rule to accept what will the children do? Are there punitive measure that can be evoked by the the NA or the Executive to compel the defaulting governors to obey court orders.
Yes,a lot
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by ddeola: 4:04am On Jan 21, 2020
Dis AGF go wound o, wetin concern em papa for South-West if no b their ulterior motive. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by Bluffly: 4:29am On Jan 21, 2020
seunmsg:
He can. The section he quoted, is it contained in the Fed constitution or that of the state?
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by Mrfred95: 4:53am On Jan 21, 2020
It available just WhatsApp me
Re: Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen by Zenithpeak(m): 5:33am On Jan 21, 2020
BafanaBafana:

If he doesn't have the power, he wouldn't have done it.
What the governor has done is not just an infringement on the local government chairs but on the constitution and as such, the federal government through the office of the attorney general can take legal actions

The LG government election held by former APC government in Oyo State was a sham and everyone that is familia with political terrain in Oyo state knows that it cannot stand. Even the said LG chairmen knows and was pleading with Gov. Seyi Makinde to overlook it but to no avail.

I wonder why people from Oyo state are not speaking up. People were selected into those offices and not elected. Meanwhile, the case is already in court, if they win the case all the best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hoodlums Burn Declan Emelumba's House In Ubulu, Imo State / Dozens Of Bandits Neutralized, Camps Destroyed By Air Strikes In Kaduna / Governor Fayose Carrying A Boy At The Market?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.