Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People (16668 Views)

Atedo Peterside: Tinubu Was Wrong To Say The 2023 Election Is The Best ever / Sorry To Say This; Peter Obi Will Lose This Election, I Have No Doubt On This / Ortom To Channels TV - If You Don't Want Me To Say The Truth, Don't Invite Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Nobody: 8:41am On Jan 21, 2020
Apologies for any typo error. This is true to an extent but I do not completely agree. Case for assumption: two children raised in separate homes, one very rich, sends the kid to a good school, provides for him etc. The other rich but doesn't send the kid to a good school, provides little or nothing.

The first kid is very much likely to be kind to people, and not steal from people because usually the kid has no reason to. If I need a shoe I can ask daddy, I can save my pocket money. The other kid is very much likely to be hostile with people, steal at any slight opportunity to buy what he wants because he knows their might not be a change to do it again.

In Iraq, a kid of 7 years wants an AK 47, knows about bomb and terrorism, the innocence is gone. In the USA a kid of that age is more interested in gaming, but in China a kid of this same age is learning to code an app.

Conclusion, Nigerians are frustrated, they take it up on one another. In 2016 / 2017 recession you can't even trust your own neighbour with money, everyone was try to scam you with one ponzi scheme or the other. The people you see here are a reflection of the government. I don't have electricity, and every month I get billed 20k, so I take it up with the conductor who is trying to make me forget my change, he takes it up with market woman who wants to sell a piece of meat higher than it should be. I went to the park to drop a friend, the weather was hot so I called this woman hawker who sells soft drink, I deeped my hand in her bucket, collected a drink and quickly returned it, Ma sorry but your drink is not chilled, the next thing she said to me was You're Sick! I was shocked at her response but it was funny at the same time. Nigeria is difficult and I know the government not helping.

3 Likes

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by pacespot(m): 8:52am On Jan 21, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:
This is why I maintain that Nigeria cannot be fixed. Because even if you fix the government to be as fair and partial as Jesus was, you can't fix the average Nigerians mindset - it's meaningless to even try.

The only hope is to start from the kids to teach them to have strong morals, to have a concience, to be able to feel for other people as if they're an extension of themselves.

Exactly my point, the Nigerian character or mentality is the greatest shithole in the country, nothing more to add. Once that is fixed, every other things will fall in place. Government is a reflection of the people. One thing I notice about black people is that they are too traditional or conservative, they are not rebellious, once something is given to them, whether good or bad, it becomes a reality of their existence, they don't fight for it to change, they will only adjust themselves to be a better or worse version of that thing.

I think it has a lot to do with civilization in Africa. Civilization is mental, not physical. Sometimes when I look at average Europeans side by side with Africans, I can physically see that one is more mentally developed.

2 Likes

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Abdul4trust1(m): 8:53am On Jan 21, 2020
landmark86:
Still searching for Op points on this write up.
I totally disagree with you Op. Nigeria government are not trying at all. Many Nigerians are struggling and hustling day to day to make a living but our government policy are not helping the masses. It only favour tthemself.
state some of the policies?
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Nobody: 8:53am On Jan 21, 2020
Idiot start with the imams if they will not bring down your head from your neck. Christianity has given everyone the privilege to speak trash.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Nobody: 8:53am On Jan 21, 2020
Bullcrap!...

If the head is rotten, the body is useless!
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by abyus15: 9:06am On Jan 21, 2020
Although its the truth but at the same time our government is just too useless
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by SenecaTheYonger: 9:12am On Jan 21, 2020
Seenyo:
Bullcrap!...

If the head is rotten, the body is useless!

Buhari wasn't always president. He was once a normal soldier before he became a 'head'. So he was once a 'body before he became 'head'.

This saying doesnt apply here.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by SenecaTheYonger: 9:17am On Jan 21, 2020
grossintel:
Apologies for any typo error. This is true to an extent but I do not completely agree. Case for assumption: two children raised in separate homes, one very rich, sends the kid to a good school, provides for him etc. The other rich but doesn't send the kid to a good school, provides little or nothing.

The first kid is very much likely to be kind to people, and not steal from people because usually the kid has no reason to.

This simply isn't true. I know many children from rich homes that didn't turn out well.

Hell why are politician children as bad as their parent? They went to the best schools money can buy. How can u even say something like this? In fact I'm tired of typing.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Nobody: 9:27am On Jan 21, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:

Buhari wasn't always president. He was once a normal soldier before he became a 'head'. So he was once a 'body before he became 'head'.

This saying doesnt apply here.
If Nigeria is officially a lawless state, then I've got nobody to blame, but as long as there's a constituted authority, the bulk of the blame is on it's table...fact
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by juman(m): 9:28am On Jan 21, 2020
It was the military generals that forced their corrupt way of life on the country.

Nigerians used to behave very well before.
Those days they said good name was better than silver.

Look, before in this country the farmers working on their farms, if they wanted to sell some oranges, bananas etc, they would put the number of stones that equal to the amount of money the passersby suppose to pay. And nobody would steal their goods.

1 Like

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by SenecaTheYonger: 9:37am On Jan 21, 2020
Seenyo:

If Nigeria is officially a lawless state, then I've got nobody to blame, but as long as there's a constituted authority, the bulk of the blame is on it's table...fact

Nigeria being a lawless state is just one of many problems
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by ayanbaba2(m): 9:37am On Jan 21, 2020
IAmSkinny:
I might have to agree with the OP on this based on personal experience; one of which is the wicked and unjustifiable hike in transport fare last December and this January. I mean there has been no increase in fuel price or whatsoever, yet these wicked drivers inflate transport fare and worst still, stuff passengers like animals just in the bide to make quick money. Yet we have the nerve to scream government government when we are actually worst.

thanks for this!

Nigerians are individual wicked, very wicked! Everyone is just hibernating that inbuilt wickedness, which is executed when the opportunity arises!

those drivers Are just a bit of what we can do when we "get the power"

1 Like

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by eodavids(m): 9:40am On Jan 21, 2020
OruExpress:
And this goes for all governments including Buhari's.

Ask yourself why state workers are the only workers in Nigeria that at guaranteed minimum wage, benefits and vacation, while everyone else is not 100% sure they will be paid for years of work in the private sector. Unless of course they find a job with a foreign company in Nigeria, but at that point what is the differentiating factor other than working for a Nigerian. The rest of us, if we can find work, are subject to nepotism, rape, beatings, humiliation, degradation, insults, to the point that the average Nigerian is employed be someone who treats them worst than an enemy ever could.

This example is small. Buhari is wicked, incompetent, and lawless. But does this differ from the average pastor, iman, lecturer, police officer, husband or even parent? Anytime the greater bulk of Nigerians are given authority, the concentrate their energy on making others feel less than or trapped. At least Buhari is looking out for Fulani people all over West Africa. Who can the average wheelbarrow pusher tell you he's looking out for? What the little authority he has as a wheelbarrow pusher he will hit as many legs as possible, and argue with anyone that objects to the pain. He will damage people's clothes and frustrate them to that small but consistent extent that he can. If you give this person an army and oil budget, what will he do? The woman that beats and degrades her 'house girl' (slave) at every given chance... what will this person do if asked to tend an entire country of poor people?

As much as we want to blame the government for Nigeria's problems, the truth is we excel at creating pain and frustration for each other. Countless Nigerian homes are staffed with fathers who's income begins with their hand and ends with their stomach alone. Many parents cannot keep valuables in their house because their own children will steal it. Most pastors, when given a chance to speak will focus on creating animosity and paranoia from their followers. The hear more prophecies than all of the prophets combine, and declare and decree more than Jesus ever did. Go to a Nigerian church and all you will hear is 'binding' 'devil' 'fire' 'blood' 'destroy' 'rebuke' 'hate' 'steal your destiny' 'die, die, die'. Then after hearing this bloodthirsty sermon for four hours, a person will emerge from that church filled with the spirit of division and conflict, which he or she (usually she) will call 'the holy spirit'. Go to church anywhere else and you will walk out with new insights on life and a hopeful feeling. Go to Nigeria and someone has buried your destiny in the sand and must die. And don't let me start with the imams.

So what will it be? I cannot ask everyone to change Nigeria, and this is only a post on a forum so I don't expect to do miracles. But please, whatever authority you have in your personal life, and the authority you will soon gain, please be humane to the people around you. Whether you're the person with the wheelbarrow or the next president, live a life that makes life a blessing.

Boss, I salute your courage for posting this piece here. I must say you are thinking deep on how to make Nigeria better, even in your own small way.

Please, let it interest you that we still have like minds who think your like of thought as well. We would like to form a group that believes that a greater and better Nigeria is possible and achievable. We would like all like minds to do, within their environment/societies, one little thing a day that makes Nigeria better and greater.

Its Possible and Achievable. We want a united force of like minds. Join us pls

2 Likes

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Nobody: 9:45am On Jan 21, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:

Nigeria being a lawless state is just one of many problems
The damn shithole I'll remain doomed until the right leader comes on board!
I voted the current dude in 2015 but he turned out to be a broad day light SCAM!

When the head is spot on, other things fall in place.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by SenecaTheYonger: 9:46am On Jan 21, 2020
Seenyo:

The damn shithole I'll remain doomed until the right leader comes on board!
I voted the current dude in 2015 but he turned out to be a broad day light SCAM!

When the head is spot on, other things fall in place.

That head usually comes from the body. -
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Nobody: 9:49am On Jan 21, 2020
I concur, very very bad people.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by mrkia(m): 9:57am On Jan 21, 2020
So Baba Bubu is still an angel among it's kind
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Nobody: 10:01am On Jan 21, 2020
Nigerians do behave well in another country. But once they get back to Nigeria the default settings set in.

I think the land is cursed!
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by CAPSLOCKED: 10:04am On Jan 21, 2020
Most pastors, when given a chance to speak will focus on creating animosity and paranoia from their followers. They hear more prophecies than all of the prophets combined, and declare and decree more than Jesus ever did.

Go to a Nigerian church and all you will hear is 'binding' 'devil' 'fire' 'blood' 'destroy' 'rebuke' 'hate' 'steal your destiny' 'die, die, die'. Then after hearing this bloodthirsty sermon for four hours, a person will emerge from that church filled with the spirit of division and conflict, which he or she (usually she) will call 'the holy spirit'.

Go to church anywhere else and you will walk out with new insights on life and a hopeful feeling. Go to Nigeria and someone has buried your destiny in the sand and must die. And don't let me start with the imams.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by eddieguru(m): 10:05am On Jan 21, 2020
Op tried to convince me though, but I doubt

The government are not helping at all cool cool
.....something good people gon bad because of bad government.

That's why nobody seems to care anymore. People do things the way it suit them cool
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by deedan9(m): 10:06am On Jan 21, 2020
Everything, or on a better pedestal, most things rest on the government. Yes, we should do a good job on our side, but we should know that everything we do, especially in the business and job creation aspects of life are regulated and controlled by the government.

Someone can afford to $100 in a month about 6 years ago, but he finds it difficult to pay $95 now. By numbers, he is paying more on a lesser valued currency.

Anyway, without digressing, I would like to suggest that the government should create an enabling atmosphere that would make businesses grow. If they can make basic amenity like electricity to become better, many businesses will not crash and go out of business.

About human behavior, it is natural. Humans learn almost everything that exists in them today. They are a product of their environment. You don't expect humans to be humane all the time. Don't get me wrong here, I am only expressing that humans cannot be good in everything be it leadership, demeanour or sacrosanct dealings.

However, we can always do better. And in this way, we can move forward.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by bdchange(m): 10:10am On Jan 21, 2020
Nigeria Government is a reflection of her people. The people in govt. are Nigerians of different tribes and possess a very low moral standard. Go to the very least Local Govt. in your locality and see the handiwork of your fellow average Nigerians then you will understand that the Govt. Is a reflection of its people. Therefore Nigeria Govt. is an equivalent of her people, not better than or lesser than.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Nobody: 10:11am On Jan 21, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:

This simply isn't true. I know many children from rich homes that didn't turn out well.

Hell why are politician children as bad as their parent? They went to the best schools money can buy. How can u even say something like this? In fact I'm tired of typing.
I specifically used the word very much likely, in terms of probability and percentage I'm not wrong.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Freddykrueger: 10:13am On Jan 21, 2020
[s]
F117nighthawk:

Of course it will be MUMU POST to those PEOPLE the Message HIT HARD ON, if you are sure you don't belong to those wicked souls that needs a change of heart u will surely see good sense from the write up
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 21, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:

That head usually comes from the body. -
No! It usually comes from a #DECEPTIVE/USELESS body...
the moment that head comes from #CORRECT BODY, nig 'll NEVER BE THE SAME!
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by adidison(m): 10:17am On Jan 21, 2020
Private sector is the same everywhere - wicked and most want to exploit their workers but a reasonable government puts up policies and laws to help/ protect workers in private or government sector.

Government isn't better than private they are the same both are corrupt and evil. That's like saying Sea is different from the ocean ... different characteristics and name but are actually the same.

Private sector - corrupt individuals who are more abusive because they put in work to earn or steal to get their money and are aggressive because they care for their money more than they care for their workers (paying you is paining / frustrating them).

Government - corrupt individuals who don't care about anybody or thing because they don't put in work to earn a lot of money so who cares ... let's just embezzle and embezzle until we get to private sector where (insert private sector here).

Just like Sea and Ocean same thing just different characteristics and name.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by richPHAROAH: 10:18am On Jan 21, 2020
okpo is better than olosho
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by SenecaTheYonger: 10:28am On Jan 21, 2020
grin grin grin grin grin
Seenyo:

No! It usually comes from a #DECEPTIVE/USELESS body...
the moment that head comes from #CORRECT BODY, nig 'll NEVER BE THE SAME!
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by Sabicleaners: 10:30am On Jan 21, 2020
Obviously for visible transformation to manifest, Nigerians (both governed and government) need a new reorientation, change of mentality and a departure from their so called normal ways of doing things.

In another news, Don't forget to dump your cleaning chores like house cleaning, office cleaning, laundry etc on SabiCleaners.
Surprisingly your house will sparkle, your office will shine and your clothes will brighten up for just a token fee.( try us now and see)
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by mareema(f): 11:57am On Jan 21, 2020
Are you a tired wife or a husband who is tired of seeing his wife stress herself up over housework everyday? Are you also confused on where to get maids who are trustworthy and willing to work? Don’t worry, at TheMaid Depot , you can meet varieties and make your selection. Contact 08176500950 for request. We are happy to match you with a domestic staff.
Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by IAmSkinny: 11:59am On Jan 21, 2020
ayanbaba2:

thanks for this!

Nigerians are individual wicked, very wicked! Everyone is just hibernating that inbuilt wickedness, which is executed when the opportunity arises!

those drivers Are just a bit of what we can do when we "get the power"
Exactly. Just look at private businesses and the shitiness of their customer service. Then look at pastors and the way they snub their members once there is trouble.
Expecting our leaders who are wicked sons of b"itches just like the everyone of us to suddenly turn to angels in the wake of power is a fairy tale.

1 Like

Re: Sorry To Say, The Nigerian Government Is Better Than The Nigerian People by tck2000(m): 12:47pm On Jan 21, 2020
Rosskii:
Very good points by the OP.

Country of government blamers. My favourite is ''we don't manufacture common toothpicks'', the implication being it's the govt's fault.

Pray, is it govt's job to build toothpick factories?

Or is it your job as a member of the private sector?

What stops you from starting a toothpick manufacturing business in your backyard, if you notice there's a gap in the market, leading to importation of same?

Much easier to blame Buhari, or blame ''Nigeria'', and sit on your fat asss.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

National Grid Collapses To 40mw Again / Presidential Election: Tinubu’s Victory An Act Of God – Sultan Of Sokoto / Security Agents Arrest Sepribo Bobmanuel In Rivers (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.