Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,065 members, 7,810,970 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:45 PM

'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash (6242 Views)

Kobe Bryant's Pilot Thought He Was Climbing While Descending - NTSB Report / Kobe Bryant Dies In A Helicopter Crash / Video Of Vichai Srivaddhanaprab Helicopter Spinning Violently Before Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by Officialhorlah(m): 5:01pm On Jan 27, 2020
Dense fog is set to be a key line of investigation into
the crash that killed NBA great Kobe Bryant and his
daughter - as audio reveals the pilot was warned
"you're too low" seconds before the helicopter
disappeared from radar. Bryant, his daughter Gianna and seven others died
when the aircraft crashed into a hillside in southern
California at about 9.45am on Sunday.
Los Angeles Police and the sheriff's department had
both grounded their helicopters in the morning
because of the weather.
A police spokesman told the LA Times the
conditions "did not meet our minimum standards
for flying", while a pilot who used to fly Bryant said
the weather was almost certainly to blame. "The likelihood of a catastrophic twin engine failure
on that aircraft - it just doesn't happen," Kurt Deetz
told the paper. Advertisement
Advertisement The helicopter was held up to allow for other
aircraft and circled for about 15 minutes until it got
clearance from air traffic controllers to continue.
The controllers mention poor visibility around the
Burbank and Van Nuys areas, but the pilot talks to
controllers normally before communication
suddenly goes dead near the crash site at
Calabasas. "You're still too low level for flight following at this
time," the pilot is told. Seconds later, the helicopter disappears from radar. It was travelling at speed - 153knots (176mph) -
when it crashed into the hillside, according to
tracking site Flightradar24. The Federal Aviation Authority said the aircraft was
a Sikorsky S-76. Bryant, 41, often used a helicopter to get to games
at the Staples Center - the Los Angeles Lakers' home
arena. He reportedly found it more comfortable than fitting
his 6ft 6in frame into a car for several hours and
referred to it as the "Mamba Chopper" after his
nickname.
The S-76 has a strong safety record, mainly
attributed to its two engines which power the main
rotor and tail rotors. Aerospace giant Lockheed Martin, which makes the
helicopter, released a statement saying more than
875 had been delivered globally, with many used
for critical missions such as search and rescue and
air ambulances. It said the aircraft had notched up "more than 7.4
million hours of safe, successful flight". Justin Green, an New York aviation lawyer who
flew in the Marine Corps, said pilots can become
disoriented in poor visibility and lose track of which
direction is up. However, he added an S-76 pilot would be
instrument-rated and therefore should be able to
fly "blind" - just relying on the read-outs and
without visual cues. Bryant and the others in the chopper were
understood to have been heading to a children's
basketball tournament organised by a sport
foundation that Bryant set up.
There were no survivors. Other victims named so far include Orange Coast
College head baseball coach John Altobelli, his wife
Keri and daughter Alyssa - who played on the same
basketball team as Bryant's daughter. The girls' coach Christina Mauser also died, her
husband confirmed. Debris is spread out over an area the size of a
football field and the rugged terrain is expected to
complicate recovery efforts. Gianna was one of four daughters Bryant had with
wife Vanessa.
The teenager played basketball in the Los Angeles
Lady Mamba team. His other daughters were
Natalia, Bianka and Capri. Orange Coast College paid tribute to baseball coach,
John Altobelli, 56, who died with his wife and
daughter. It said: "John meant so much to not only Orange
Coast College, but to baseball. He truly personified
what it means to be a baseball coach. "The passion that he put into the game, but more
importantly his athletes, was second to none - he
treated them like family. Our deepest condolences
go out to the Altobelli family during this time of
tragedy." The husband of basketball coach Christine Mauser
posted on Facebook: "My kids and I are devastated. "We lost our beautiful wife and mom today in a
helicopter crash. Please respect our privacy. Thank
you for all the well wishes they mean so much." NBA commissioner Adam Silver said Bryant had
"inspired people around the world to pick up a
basketball". Fans of the LA Lakers hero from across the worlds
of sport, entertainment, politics and beyond have
expressed their shock at the tragedy.
Michael Jordan, widely regarded as the greatest
basketball player of all-time, said in a statement
"words can't describe the pain I'm feeling" and
Bryant was like a "brother". Bryant's former Lakers team-mate, Shaquille O'Neal,
tweeted: "There's no words to express the pain Im
going through with this tragedy of losing my niece
Gigi & my brother @kobebryant." The basketball star's final tweet came on Saturday
night, when current Lakers talisman LeBron James
overtook him in the all-time scoring ranking during
a match in Bryant's hometown of Philadelphia. Bryant tweeted: "Continuing to move the game
forward @KingJames. Much respect my brother." James has yet to comment publicly on Bryant's
death but was seen in tears as he arrived back at LA
airport after the Lakers played in Philadelphia.
Bryant's legend beyond basketball has been
apparent in the huge number of tributes from
outside across the sporting world, as well as
politics, music and film. Lionel Messi, Barack Obama, Tiger Woods, Kanye
West and Leonardo DiCaprio are just a few of those
who've paid tribute to the basketball great. People have also gathered outside the Lakers'
home, the Staples Center, where he created so
many memories for Lakers fans. One wreath outside the arena read: "Kobe we love
you RIP." Some of those in the crowd dabbed tears as others
laid flowers and basketball shoes at the wreath. The tragedy also overshadowed the Grammy
Awards, which were held at the Staples Center on
Sunday night. Host Alicia Keys said: "We're all feeling crazy
sadness right now. Because earlier today Los
Angeles, America and the whole wide world lost a
hero." Among his honours, the five-time NBA
championship winner claimed 18 NBA All-Star
selections and two Olympic gold medals. Following his retirement in 2016 as the third-
leading scorer in NBA history, the Lakers retired the
shirt numbers he had worn during his career -
eight and 24.

3 Likes

Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jan 27, 2020
Wetin don happen don happen, your warning no change anything, allow the world to mourn this great guy in peace.

4 Likes

Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by budaatum: 5:06pm On Jan 27, 2020
What a waste. May they all rest in peace.
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by Goldencheese(m): 5:07pm On Jan 27, 2020
Tragic loss. Inspirational basketball Hall of Famer. Awesome personality.

2 Likes

Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by oz4real83(m): 5:21pm On Jan 27, 2020
booscy:
Wetin don happen don happen, your warning no change anything, allow the world to mourn this great guy in peace.
civilised world learn lessons from previous events unlike Nigeria. This helps them create preventive measures where possible. That is why they perform utopsy on every dead human being to know the cause and see if preventable. I don't blame u for your comment because in Nigeria, we just don't care and that is why the country is like this.

12 Likes

Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jan 27, 2020
oz4real83:
civilised world learn lessons from previous events unlike Nigeria. This helps them create preventive measures where possible. That is why they perform utopsy on every dead human being to know the cause and see if preventable. I don't blame u for your comment because in Nigeria, we just don't care and that is why the country is like this.

Your opinion, I have aired mine.
Even autopsies dont raise the dead or prevent similar crime with similar pattern.

Its just like crying over milk spilt on sand.

3 Likes

Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by ThierryJay: 6:26pm On Jan 27, 2020
So, the crash was likely due to Pilot error. So so sad as it was an avoidable death.

RIP KB
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by aadoiza: 6:56pm On Jan 27, 2020
budaatum:
What a waste. May they all rest in peace.
Why not 'rot in peace'? As it would really represent your belief that the dead only rot away to form manure in the soil. cheesy grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by budaatum: 9:26pm On Jan 27, 2020
aadoiza:

Why not 'rot in peace'? As it would really represent your belief that the dead only rot away to form manure in the soil. cheesy grin
Because that's just not what one says. And we are not pedantic about it, especially in the light of the loss of those they've left behind.

But it's not a belief. We either put their dead body in a box and bury it, or we cremate it and keep their ashes in an urn on a mantle.
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by solar007: 9:32pm On Jan 27, 2020
I knew it was with the weather

1 Like

Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by Randy100: 6:47am On Jan 28, 2020
We just have to die one day, the most painful part is that we don't know how it will happen and when it will happen.
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by speedyconnect3: 7:53am On Jan 28, 2020
May not be referred to as 'others' in death.
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by inforesource: 8:07am On Jan 28, 2020
I ask always if there is any law that restrict people from jumping out of a plan or helicopter in a seeming crash situation?

I really need answer pls. Because if One knows he or she is going to die why not jump out when you see that the plan is close to the group?
Pardon my ignorance on this but I feel so sad anytime I hear all this news.
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by jnoz23(m): 8:30am On Jan 28, 2020
inforesource:
I ask always if there is any law that restrict people from jumping out of a plan or helicopter in a seeming crash situation?

I really need answer pls. Because if One knows he or she is going to die why not jump out when you see that the plan is close to the group?

I feel you, but reality is always different!
2 SEC's is all it takes
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by Ogbunigwe2018: 8:31am On Jan 28, 2020
booscy:

Even autopsies dont raise the dead or prevent similar crime with similar pattern.

Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by Nobody: 8:59am On Jan 28, 2020
[quote author=Ogbunigwe2018 post=86169787][/quote]

Will you ever be okay at all?
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by Vick4rill(m): 9:56am On Jan 28, 2020
booscy:

you just sound daft now!!
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by Horus(m): 10:16am On Jan 28, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVA3k02lMe8

Kobe Bryant death: Pilot audio reveals final moments before deadly helicopter crash

1 Like

Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by aadoiza: 10:20am On Jan 28, 2020
budaatum:

Because that's just not what one says. And we are not pedantic about it, especially in the light of the loss of those they've left behind.

But it's not a belief. We either put their dead body in a box and bury it, or we cremate it and keep their ashes in an urn on a mantle.
RIP is used by those who believe there is more to the dead,
buried or burnt, than your mere soil fertilisation assertion/belief. And that is why, buda, they wish the dead a peaceful rest, but we can't say the same of you, can we?
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by budaatum: 12:39pm On Jan 28, 2020
aadoiza:

RIP is used by those who believe there is more to the dead,
buried or burnt, than your mere soil fertilisation assertion/belief. And that is why, buda, they wish the dead a peaceful rest, but we can't say the same of you, can we?

You are obviously wrong in thinking or believing "RIP is used by those who believe there is more to the dead" since you know buda does not "believe there is more to the dead" and buda still used RIP. Rather than make things up and believing it, why don't you trust what you see in front of you with your own eyes?

The fact remains that we do put the dead body in a box and put the box in a hole where the dead body rots, which we can confirm if we dug it up years later.

One uses RIP for the benefit of the living, as in, to console those the dead left behind. It's not as if the dead hear the RIP.

There's also the little issue of tradition. We say RIP because it's what we traditionally say, and not because we believe it.

Good challenge though, aadoiza. Don't let buda off lightly now.
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by budaatum: 1:26pm On Jan 28, 2020
aadoiza:

RIP is used by those who believe there is more to the dead
Here is someone's alternative to RIP.
I bet she believes in life after death.

Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jan 28, 2020
There are minimum standards to everything in life. It's called cut off point.

If the criteria does not meet the minimum standards, abort mission.

I still wonder if Helicopter travel is generally safe with the rate at which helicopters are killing celebrities all over the world.

Enter motor jejely.
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by Kylekent59: 1:37pm On Jan 28, 2020
inforesource:

What can you say about the rotor?

Try jumping and get halved by the rotor blades.

The only thing to do it to brace for impact.

Anytime a crash occurs, pilot are to be blamed. It was stated that the atmosphere was foggy, which dim visualisation ,of which led to the crash.

They were also made to stay in air for about 15 minutes plus for other flights. If they had not been delayed, this accident wouldn't have happened.

He says he prefers to use his helicopter because he doesn't feel comfortable in his ride, since he is 6ft 6in which is why he prefers his double engine Sikorsky S-76 helicopter.

What a pity.

RIP
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by inforesource: 1:44pm On Jan 28, 2020
Kylekent59:

What can you say about the rotor?

Try jumping and get halved by the rotor blades.

The only thing to do it to brace for impact.

Anytime a crash occurs, pilot are to be blamed. It was stated that the atmosphere was foggy, which dim visualisation ,of which led to the crash.

They were also made to stay in air for about 15 minutes plus for other flights. If they had not been delayed, this accident wouldn't have happened.

He says he prefers to use his helicopter because he doesn't feel comfortable in his ride, since he is 6ft 6in which is why he prefers his double engine Sikorsky S-76 helicopter.

What a pity.

RIP

Hmmm! What can I say. Life is very short even at 120 age, what is the active age of average man on earth? PRAYER: Please God teach me to live a selfless life, to help whenever need arises and love humanity for there is nothing to take home except your good deeds or bad deeds in Jesus Name, Amen!
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by inforesource: 1:51pm On Jan 28, 2020
jnoz23:

I feel you, but reality is always different!
2 SEC's is all it takes

Very true. What a life!
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by aadoiza: 1:56pm On Jan 28, 2020
budaatum:

Here is someone's alternative to RIP.
I bet she believes in life after death.
Yes, she probably does. However, the assurance of life after death is not tantamount to a peaceful afterlife, which is the reason, I believe, people say RIP to their dead. So I'm stating now that "RIP" guarantees no peace for the dead in the afterlife.
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by Hhenryy: 2:31pm On Jan 28, 2020
inforesource:

If you jump, your chances of survival is still very slim depending on the crash height and the nature of the terrain below
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by aadoiza: 2:35pm On Jan 28, 2020
[quote author=budaatum post=86176202]

You are obviously wrong in thinking or believing "RIP is used by those who believe there is more to the dead" since you know buda does not "believe there is more to the dead" and buda still used RIP. Rather than make things up and believing it, why don't you trust what you see in front of you with your own eyes?

The fact remains that we do put the dead body in a box and put the box in a hole where the dead body rots, which we can confirm if we dug it up years later.

Fact!!! But I thought you left atheism for good. If you did, by now, you should know our existence is both physical and spiritual, unless you're a New Ager

One uses RIP for the benefit of the living, as in, to console those the dead left behind. It's not as if the dead hear the RIP.

No. You're wrong. RIP is and has always been for the dead. Whether the loved ones left behind by the dead are present or not, RIP is said to the dead. Your "not as if the dead hear": it's a strictly spiritual thing.

There's also the little issue of tradition. We say RIP because it's what we traditionally say, and not because we believe it.

Yes, I do understand this.
If we were to findt the first set of people to use RIP, it could not have been from amongst those who believe not in the afterlife. It would have been impossible for them to come up with a saying insinuating such.

Good challenge though, aadoiza. Don't let buda off lightly now.
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by thundafire: 3:22pm On Jan 28, 2020
oz4real83:
abi our own a committee will be set up and money allocated then no more news again,dey plane crash dat killed Loyola,Army generals and sosoliso Aircraft till date no news
Re: 'you're Too Low': Kobe Pilot Warned Before Crash by budaatum: 4:25pm On Jan 28, 2020
aadoiza:
Fact!!! But I thought you left atheism for good. If you did, by now, you should know our existence is both physical and spiritual, unless you're a New Ager.
Your "New Age" is a label that comforts you into thinking you've pigeonholed buda. Leaving atheism does not mean I stop using my eyes and my senses. You would note Jesus worked hard to make sure I use them. The strikeout is so you don't add what you make up.

Religiously speaking, "physical and spiritual" have meanings. The physical, we see. The spiritual we often make up and believe with no evidence to support the belief. It can also mean more than that. But once dead, one obviously stops existing, which is why we are sad. We know we'd never ever see the dead again.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Professional WWE Wrestlers From Africa, 5 Are Nigerians (photos) / Lagerback's Fate: Should He Be Sacked Too? / [DOWNLOAD VIDEO] Chelsea Vs Man City 2-0 Goals And Highlights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.