Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Let's Have A 'social Security Scheme' In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Let's Have A 'social Security Scheme' In Nigeria (1136 Views)

FG To Launch N59.7bn Youth-in-agriculture Scheme In September / N5,000 For The Poor: Katsina Women Storm Bank To Demand For APC Social Security / Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Have A 'social Security Scheme' In Nigeria by Nsiman(m): 7:13pm On Dec 14, 2010
Going by the way things are going in Nigeria's financies, the legislators have been accuse of getting 25% of Nigeria's annual budget, The CBN has also been accused of getting 50% of Nigeria's annual budget. Last time the senate spokeperson, said that there are some govt functioneries that earn more than NASS members, I guest more revelations are up coming. This is a call for all Nigerians to support an enactment of a 'SOCIAL SECURITY SCHEME BILL' for an ordinary nigerian to be atleast 0.005% be sure of a monthly income. The pop'tion of nigeria is peged at about 140m people, if the govt proposes a minimum of N5,000 per an individual, it will cost about N700b annually. I will post more analysis Is this worth debating?
Re: Let's Have A 'social Security Scheme' In Nigeria by jumobi1(m): 7:18pm On Dec 14, 2010
Who audits our govt? They'll just lie about their revenue/expenditures etc.
Re: Let's Have A 'social Security Scheme' In Nigeria by Missy85(f): 7:38pm On Dec 14, 2010
@OP, handing out cash like that will destroy what's left of the economy. Think hyper inflation.

Think also Soviet Union; North Korea; and to a lesser extent Cuba.

Whilst some may refer instead to the welfare system in Europe, many economists will tell you that many of those countries are now in deep sh.it partly because of their unsustainable welfare bill.

The Nigerian state needs to concentate on other ways of improving the lives of its people through:

Quality education
Sound healthcare system:
Provision of regular power
Adherence to law & Order
Credible macro economic policies
Scaling down p unfruitful public expenditure.

I can go on, but Im sure you get the drift.
Re: Let's Have A 'social Security Scheme' In Nigeria by Omenani(m): 7:46pm On Dec 14, 2010
Why is everything called a scheme in Nigeria? lol I just have a problem with the word "scheme." Especially as it pertains to Nigeria, because everything seems to be a "scheme."
Re: Let's Have A 'social Security Scheme' In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:11pm On Dec 14, 2010
One man will still all the money,People are still collecting pay package of dead people.Forget
Re: Let's Have A 'social Security Scheme' In Nigeria by Nsiman(m): 9:01pm On Dec 14, 2010
With careful planning i don't think so
Re: Let's Have A 'social Security Scheme' In Nigeria by jumobi1(m): 4:37am On Dec 15, 2010
If Nigerian leaders are willing to carefully plan, you won't be raising this idea.
Re: Let's Have A 'social Security Scheme' In Nigeria by strangerf: 6:19am On Dec 15, 2010
.   .   . not with those almanjiris in the north, and their ever so kidnapping brothers in the east, not to talk about their MENDED relatives in the SS

We can have it in the SW alone, but definitely would be unsuccessful if the SE, SS and the north were included.

To sustain it, you need honest people to pay into the system as needed, and since the SE is full of mostly 419ers, fraudsters, people who lie about their accomplishments, leaders with questionable judgement, okija shrine visiting governors, illiterate spare part dealers, and a legion of despoilers and criminals, it would be unwise for the state to embark on such a project, atleast not now.

Also, the millions of gworo chewing almanjiris in the north would create a stress on the system as to make it unsustainable. It would be unfair to expect the brilliant and hardworking SWers to carry the whole country on their back, as usual, without any sort of respite coming from the northerners.

Also, the polity is currently unstable, and a scheme like that may not work. Again, we may one day wake up, only to be held hostage by those unstable lads from the SS. Making things worse, they might wanna hijack the system  meant for the benefit of everyone. I will not put it beyond them to, under the guise of marginalisation and resource country, disrupt key infrastructures in the country in an attempt to garner a huge share of the scheme for their selfish benefit; after all, oil is still our main source of revenue and a personal and sole property of the people of the ND, or so they claim.
Re: Let's Have A 'social Security Scheme' In Nigeria by kcjazz(m): 6:37am On Dec 15, 2010
Do we really need another scheme?
On a second thought we really need to strengthen our pension scheme and even extend free healthcare to those over 65+. I think it will help solve the issue of corruption, if people know they can be taken care of at their old age. Just my personal opinion.
Re: Let's Have A 'social Security Scheme' In Nigeria by Nsiman(m): 10:34pm On Jan 11, 2011
Should we have a social security scheme for all nigerians or for only the unemployed?
Re: Let's Have A 'social Security Scheme' In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 10:54pm On Jan 11, 2011
Omenani:

Why is everything called a scheme in Nigeria? lol[b] I just have a problem with the word "scheme." Especially as it pertains to Nigeria, because everything seems to be a "scheme." [/b]

ROFLMAO!!! you and me both!!! lol
Re: Let's Have A 'social Security Scheme' In Nigeria by Nsiman(m): 12:07pm On Jan 12, 2011
Pls give a word that shld substitute SCHEME

(1) (Reply)

Interesting Articles--President Of Nigeria In 2011-- April 22nd 1990 Coup: / I Am Proud Of Jonathan And We Will Support Him- Pst Ayo Oritsejafor / Official Nigerian Presidential Election Results By States On News Nigeriana.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.