Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,056 members, 7,810,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:12 PM

Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom (85224 Views)

Barack Obama's Daughter, Sasha Smoking Marijuana In Public goes viral / President Trump Finally Wears A Face-Mask In Public For The First Time / Malia Obama Kissing & Smoking With Her Boyfriend, Rory Farquharson In Public (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by Kwanza: 9:51am On Feb 16, 2020
Rima settles in a chair at an upscale Riyadh cafe, looks around carefully, and seeing no one she recognises, drags on her electronic cigarette and exhales a cloud of smoke.
“I feel that smoking in public is a part of exercising my newly won freedoms. I am happy that now that I can choose,” the 27-year-old Saudi who works for a private company in the capital told AFP.

Like Western feminists of the early 20th century, in an era of social change in Saudi Arabia some women are embracing cigarettes, shisha pipes or vaping as a symbol of emancipation.

The sight of women smoking in public has become much more common in recent months, an unthinkable prospect before the introduction of sweeping reforms in the ultra-conservative kingdom.

The kingdom’s ambitious de facto ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, has rolled out an array of economic and social innovations to project a moderate, business-friendly image.

Women are now allowed to drive, attend public sporting events and concerts, and obtain passports without the approval of a male guardian.

Rima, who started smoking two years ago, dismisses concerns about the harmful effects of tobacco but is worried her family will find out.

She says she is prepared for a showdown.

“I won’t tell them that this is about my personality liberty, because they won’t understand that women are free to smoke like men,” said Rima, dressed in a traditional black abaya with gold embroidery matching the hijab that covered her hair.

Najla, 26, who like Rima asked to use a pseudonym, said that despite the rapid social changes, double standards still existed and that it was still considered a “scandal and disgrace” if women smoked.

The only woman lighting up amid several tables of male smokers, she said she intended to “challenge society” and ignore the occasional dirty looks.

“My rights will be fully respected when my family accepts me as a smoker,” she said, recalling that a friend was sent to an addiction clinic when her parents found out about her smoking.

Najla started smoking while still a school student, and like her, up to 65 percent of female Saudi high schoolers light up secretly, according to a 2015 study by the medical faculty at King Abdulaziz University cited by Arab News.

– ‘Everything is allowed‘ –
Despite the limitations, in a country where until just a few years ago religious police would chase and hit women for infractions like wearing nail polish or allowing a strand of hair to escape from their hijab, the changes have been head-spinning.

“Most of our women clients order shisha. It’s something that was totally unimaginable just three months ago,” a Lebanese waiter told AFP at an upscale cafe in north Riyadh.

Heba, a 36-year-old longtime smoker who sat at a table nearby, described growing up in a closed country where “everything was forbidden to women”.

“I never imagined I would be able to smoke shisha in public next to men,” she told AFP.

“Now, everything is allowed. Women venture out without hijab, without abaya and they even smoke publicly.”

But even as the kingdom has introduced reforms, it has attracted condemnation for a heavy-handed crackdown on dissidents including intellectuals, clerics and female activists.

In 2018, authorities arrested at least a dozen women activists just before the historic lifting of the decades-long ban on female motorists.

Many of the detained have accused interrogators of sexual harassment and torture. Saudi authorities reject the accusations.

“There is no doubt that at the persona level there is more freedom,” said Walid al-Hathloul, whose sister Loujain is on trial over allegations of having contacts with foreign media and diplomats.

“But the reforms in favour of women are part of a public relations campaign to improve the kingdom’s human rights record,” he told AFP.

“The arrest and demonisation of women activists is proof of this — it’s designed so that the reforms will not be credited to the activists,” he told AFP.

https://m.guardian.ng/news/saudi-women-smoke-in-public-to-complete-their-freedom/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by tardell007(m): 1:20pm On Feb 16, 2020
k

1 Like

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by philip0906(m): 1:20pm On Feb 16, 2020
Naso...Where the real equality struggle should be fought. This is exactly where the concept of feminism makes sense...not overfed people in the free world enjoying everything but disturbing our ear drums with chants of feminism and you wonder what exactly they're fighting for.

348 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by priscaoge(f): 1:20pm On Feb 16, 2020
“Now, everything is allowed. Women venture out without hijab, without abaya and they even smoke publicly.”

Saudi Women will be like “Freedom at last”.

90 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by Enculer2: 1:20pm On Feb 16, 2020
These re the people that the afonja Muslims and the northern cows worship?

317 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by iamVirus(m): 1:20pm On Feb 16, 2020
Mad oh

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by miki1(m): 1:21pm On Feb 16, 2020
So how is this emancipation?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by DesignPoint: 1:21pm On Feb 16, 2020
grin
It's quite strange but whatever rocks their boat.
Hope they know the health implications of what they're doing.

Anyways, get your existing logo to have this 3D look today for just 2k.
Yeah. You read that right.

We also have the 1k pack if you're interested. Send us a message today.

17 Likes

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by brosom(m): 1:21pm On Feb 16, 2020
they've been longing to do so.

1 Like

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by Nobody: 1:21pm On Feb 16, 2020
Smoke As much as you can......Allah doesnt Forbid it grin

34 Likes

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by Mendula35(m): 1:21pm On Feb 16, 2020
FTC!

1 Like

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by jaxxy(m): 1:21pm On Feb 16, 2020
Wild ones. Do the men even smoke in public? Lol
Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by irunoko(m): 1:21pm On Feb 16, 2020
Whatever makes them happy
Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by BruncleZuma: 1:21pm On Feb 16, 2020
grin grin grin grin

I wonder what MURIC would have to say about this...

[img]https://media1./images/f0c5a3beb704c4bf4bd7c1482dde65ad/tenor.gif[/img]

390 Likes 40 Shares

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by jbreezy: 1:21pm On Feb 16, 2020
Kk
Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by Sunofgod(m): 1:21pm On Feb 16, 2020
Abomination......

1 Like

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by richidinho(m): 1:22pm On Feb 16, 2020
grin
Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by simplyOJ(m): 1:22pm On Feb 16, 2020
Free at last grin

3 Likes

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by Promxy94(m): 1:22pm On Feb 16, 2020
Human rights...

1 Like

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by Bobbyfreshh(m): 1:22pm On Feb 16, 2020
smiley waiting for our nairaland hisbah police officers to come and wail about this news

85 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by Skye231(m): 1:23pm On Feb 16, 2020
Is this where MECCA is located ??

86 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by Gidah: 1:23pm On Feb 16, 2020
Hope they won't later abuse it cos that's what it later leads to if someone is been denied to freedom of something over some time

2 Likes

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by Righteousness89(m): 1:23pm On Feb 16, 2020
So Destroying your Health is now Freedom??

Devil is a Bastard in this Generation...

66 Likes

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by Nobody: 1:23pm On Feb 16, 2020
You need to smoke brain into your "username" grin
Mendula35:
FTC!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by aristocratic5(m): 1:23pm On Feb 16, 2020
grin grin grin
Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by Nobody: 1:23pm On Feb 16, 2020
Let's bring this to the Muslim communities in Nigeria

9 Likes

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by Offpoint: 1:23pm On Feb 16, 2020
I rather don't speak on this topic, else another 100 mentions and insults will flood in

3 Likes

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by slivertongue: 1:24pm On Feb 16, 2020
I see danger in the new reforms aimed at more freedom for women. and opening up the society to western values

10 Likes

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by Daniel058(m): 1:24pm On Feb 16, 2020
Religion of pretence

26 Likes

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by solmus: 1:24pm On Feb 16, 2020
grin

Arab like Cigar and Shisha pass anything

Las las as much as I support women freedom and equal right, This Saudi women fit begin abuse am like our feminist like Chimamanda seeing everything as competition and battle of sexes

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saudi Women Smoke In Public To ‘complete’ Their Freedom by helinues: 1:24pm On Feb 16, 2020
I am expecting our Northern Brothers to protest tomorrow..

Or are they not going to?

49 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

500-Year-Old Crown Of Scotland Placed On Queen Elizabeth's Coffin (Photos) / Ivanka Trump’s Bra-less Outfit At UNGA Grabs World Attention (Photos) / President Macron Attempted To Return The Slap Before His Security Intervened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.