Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,416 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

Ghettorization" Of The Poor People Of Lagos: Ayobo-Ipaja Road 12 Years Waiting! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghettorization" Of The Poor People Of Lagos: Ayobo-Ipaja Road 12 Years Waiting! (2697 Views)

What Pdp Did To Apc Campaign At Ayobo,ipaja...photos Only / Lagos Switches On Street Light On Iyana-ipaja Road And Its Inner Roads.( Pics) / Ayobo/ipaja Road Under Construction: Is Fashola Working Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghettorization" Of The Poor People Of Lagos: Ayobo-Ipaja Road 12 Years Waiting! by na2day1: 2:06am On Dec 16, 2010
Re: Ghettorization" Of The Poor People Of Lagos: Ayobo-Ipaja Road 12 Years Waiting! by DisGuy: 2:45am On Dec 16, 2010
the bad roads are the Federal Government roads in Lagos cheesy

eko o ni baje o!
Re: Ghettorization" Of The Poor People Of Lagos: Ayobo-Ipaja Road 12 Years Waiting! by na2day1: 3:07am On Dec 16, 2010
Dis Guy:

the bad roads are the Federal Government roads in Lagos cheesy

eko o ni baje o!

Please dont come here and display your ignorance angry
Who told you, its federal government road? angry
Is Fashola denying that its state govt. road?
Re: Ghettorization" Of The Poor People Of Lagos: Ayobo-Ipaja Road 12 Years Waiting! by na2day1: 3:09am On Dec 16, 2010
An article written in punch on Sunday, 17 Oct 2010

[size=13pt]Ayobo/Ipaja: The worst road in Lagos — Road users[/size]

Years of neglect have combined with failed promises of repair to leave the Ayobo/Ipaja road in such a terrible state that it now sinks jeeps and trailers. And as it assumes the notoriety of ‘the worst road in Lagos‘, EMMANUEL ONYECHE reports that vehicle owners are avoiding it like plague, leading to untold hardships for those who reside or do business there

Constructed about 13 years ago without drainages, several portions of the Ayobo/Ipaja road have failed so terribly that many people who go through it told our correspondent that

they consider it as the ”worst road in Lagos.”

“What you have on that road are no longer potholes but gullies,” said Mr. Sam Arikawe, the Supervisor at a beer distribution business located at No. 225, Ipaja Road, Lagos State.

In the past six months, Arikawe said, three vehicles that his organisation uses for the distribution of its products have been condemned as a result of that bad road.

”Sometimes, if the vehicles go out, they won‘t return. It is either the back axle gets damaged or the radiator gets overheated,” he said, as he pointed to large van that broke down in front of his office after it passed through the bad road to bring cartons of beer all the way from Ijebu Ode, Ogun State.

As he was speaking, his phone rang and the driver of one of his distribution vehicles told him on the other end of the line to send people to come and push another of his distribution vehicles that had just broken down on the same road.

”To worsen matters, our customers are no longer coming to us to lift products. When we call them, they tell us that they are not willing to put their vehicles at risk, saying that the little profit they make is spent on vehicle repair anytime they pass through that road to get to us,” Arikawe said.

Our correspondent, who went through that road, noted that the nightmare began at Opeki area for those going to Iyana Ipaja from Church Bus Stop in Ipaja. In this area, some sand filling work was seen going on - a palliative measure that people in the area said was from the Ayobo/Ipaja LCDA. Attempting to count the potholes and the gullies was needless stress, as there were just too many of them - all filled with stagnant muddy water that constituted death traps to vehicles that dared to wade through.

At P&T Bus Stop, opposite the Ministry of Communications and Information, two buses that dared the road and got stuck were seen being pushed by their conductors and drivers, as the perplexed passengers sat inside, unwilling to step out into the muddy potholes of their vicinity.

Apart from a few sections, the entire stretch of the road from Opeki, Boys Town and all the way to the gate of the Low Cost Housing Estate, Abesan, has completely collapsed. The gullies at the Estate Gate were the type that swallowed small cars and caused jeeps and even bigger vehicles to be stranded.

Our correspondent observed that anywhere the portion of the road in front of the Estate Gate was fair, all the vehicles tended to that direction and soon it caused gridlock that led to chaos and confusion that stressed everybody.

The horror at the area around the Estate Gate is further heightened by the fact that over 90 per cent of the vehicles going to Ayobo from Iyana Ipaja divert at the gate and go through the estate to connect Ayobo, Ikola Ilumo or Command, just to avoid the Ayobo/Ipaja road. Many drivers going to Ayobo from Iyana Ipaja end divert their vehicles through Baruwa to Oluwaga to connect Ayobo, all in a bid to avoid the extremely bad road.

Ordinarily, the shortest distance to Oshodi for those living in Ayobo, Bada/Aiyetoro is through the Ayobo/Ipaja road, but our correspondent learnt that people in these areas now prefer to go to Oshodi through Sango in Ogun State, passing through the recently built Ikola/Command road, to come out at Abule Egba, before boarding Oshodi Bus - a needless merry-go-rounding that also makes commuting to cost more. Again, from Iyana Ipaja, many people now prefer to connect Meiran, passing through the Command road in Ajasa to get to Baruwa - not minding that these are opposing ends to each other.

Because of this, those who live directly along either side of the bad road or do business there (like Arikawe) and who have no other route to get to their destinations are usually stranded and suffer untold hardship.

One of them, Mrs. Ogechi Opara, a lawyer who resides in Majiyagbe area of Ipaja said, ”Sometimes, you could stay one hour without getting a vehicle that is passing through this bad road. It is causing people a lot of hardship.”

Another road user, Mr. Akin Babajide, a Supervisor at A-ONE Nigeria Enterprises, a venture that makes furniture, says, ”My customers call me on phone to come to their houses. They don‘t come here again and it has reduced the level of growth of my business and my profit. It is now that I understand what they taught us over 20 years ago in secondary school about the importance of good roads to an industry.

Mr. Samuel Oyinlola, who resides at Baruwa, said, ”My three cars have been completely damaged by the bad road. I had to abandon them after I got tired of dealing with problems relating to gear box, ball joint, etc., everyday, not to talk of the daily stress of going out and coming in. If you stay at home beyond 5am before you escape from that terrible road, you must definitely get to work late that day.”

Mr. Adetula Muyiwa who manages Lilijo Spot, a very large beer and pepper soup joint along the bad road, says his volume of business has reduced so much that he is considering retrenching some staff. It was 7.15 pm and the customers in his joint were just four. ”Before, by this time, everywhere would be filled up and all my staff would be busy. Now, they stay idle from morning till night. Only few people bother to travel through this bad road to come and relax.

A man who gave his name as Daniel posted the following on the Internet concerning the bad road in question, ”I have made up my mind never to pay tax again because of the way we have been abandoned in Ipaja Ayobo. I am a legal practitioner living in Abesan and use a car worth about N2m. I have had my gear damaged at the Abesan Gate by the bad road and had to spend N100,000 to fix it. Now, it is the engine that has been damaged by the pool of dirty muddy water that is constantly at the Abesan Gate and this will cost me about N200,000 to fix.”

Another individual, Mr. Lateef Gbolagade, also on the Internet, simply asked, ”Eko o ni baje? what of Ipaja? Is it not a part of Lagos State?”

The entire stretch of the bad road also had no drainages - a situation that definitely quickened its failure. The website of Technology Transfer Centre in New Hampshire noted that inadequate drainage greatly contributes to road failure. Proper drainage, it said, is vital, as water affects road serviceability. To maintain a good roadway network, the road manager must keep water out of it.

A drainage system reduces water damage and saves money. The site listed roadway, shoulders, ditches and culverts as the major elements to a drainage system and added, ”These elements work together to prevent water from passing through the road surface. The roadway and shoulder move water to the side and carry it away. Even properly designed roads could flood, wash out, and develop potholes if drainage is neglected.

Ironically, the problem is not that the authorities are not aware of the problem since it was the route Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, went through when he attended the burial ceremony of the wife of the General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church in April last year. Fashola, in his speech at the ceremony, even promised that he would see to the repair of the road, according to media reports.

The Chairman of Ayobo/Ipaja LCDA, Mr. Bisi Yusuf, who lives in the Bada area of Ipaja does not deny being aware of the problem of that road. At a time, he was accused of relocating from his house in Bada to another area because of the bad road.

But Yusuf, speaking to our correspondent in his office said, ”[size=15pt]The road in question belongs to the state government[/size], but we have commenced palliative measures that will bring relief to the people while awaiting the state government‘s presence.

”The state governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, had already earmarked the Ayobo-Ipaja road for construction, and work would commence there after the completion of the Moshalasi-Idimu road in Alimoso Local Government Area.

”Our measure is to make the road motorable from Ayetoro Bridge to Abesan Estate Gate, which is the boundary we share with Mosan-Okunola Local Council Development Authority. We have commenced the filling and grading of the road from Ayetoro boundary to Abesan Estate Gate, even beyond our boundary, Yusuf said.

If the ‘road work‘ our correspondent witnesses last week was what Yusuff described as ”filling and grading,” then it is apt to say it falls short of any standard whatsoever. This is because ‘workmen,‘ who described themselves as members of the Abesan Gate chapter of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, were seen using bare hands to pick slabs of hard tar that seemed to have been brought from another failed road to fill whatever they could of the failed road.

Worse still, the heavy rainfall of a week later made nonsense of their efforts, as the entire road got submerged in flood, which simply washed it away.

On allegations that he had relocated from his house in Bada because of the bad road, he denied it, saying they were allegations that could not be substantiated. ”I follow the same route my people follow every day, so that I can experience what they experience and feel what they feel.” He said

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20101017116125
Re: Ghettorization" Of The Poor People Of Lagos: Ayobo-Ipaja Road 12 Years Waiting! by DisGuy: 3:10am On Dec 16, 2010
that's what the fashola die-hards say! the bad roads are mainly the federal govts  grin

I wonder why they priorities Lekki ikoyi bridge over these roads that have been begging for construction ever since
Re: Ghettorization" Of The Poor People Of Lagos: Ayobo-Ipaja Road 12 Years Waiting! by na2day1: 3:13am On Dec 16, 2010
Dis Guy:

that's what the fashola die-hards say! the bad roads are mainly the federal govts  grin

I wonder why they priorities Lekki ikoyi bridge over these roads that have been begging for construction ever since

Sorry, i didnt know u're being sarcastic grin
I live around that area and i'm goin home in the next few days,
I'm really afraid of the pressure i'll go thru when i get home sad
Re: Ghettorization" Of The Poor People Of Lagos: Ayobo-Ipaja Road 12 Years Waiting! by DisGuy: 3:56am On Dec 16, 2010
Well some tips you'll surely need as i visited that same area after baruwa i think it's called oluwaga

- you will need a good masseurs every nite, after passing that place in the video the next phase is full of gullies!!
-make sure you are in a car with good clearance or else gbaoooooooo your engines with be kissing the floor every 2 minutes
-hold on tight man grin
-i wonder how the people there cope apparently many Alausa workers bought into the area thinking it was going to be finally developed 2009/2010

Goodluck cool
Re: Ghettorization" Of The Poor People Of Lagos: Ayobo-Ipaja Road 12 Years Waiting! by Kobojunkie: 5:15am On Dec 16, 2010
[size=13pt] Eko O ni baje ju ba yi lo [/size]

I love that !!! cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Ghettorization" Of The Poor People Of Lagos: Ayobo-Ipaja Road 12 Years Waiting! by Nobody: 7:42am On Dec 16, 2010
LMAO @ "Shebi iwo lo ko igbale wa" grin grin grin

Funny video, but very true. Taking money and not fixing road.
Re: Ghettorization" Of The Poor People Of Lagos: Ayobo-Ipaja Road 12 Years Waiting! by Nobody: 7:44am On Dec 16, 2010
OMG but the video makes me want to go back home ASAP!!

ahhh, the stuffy Lagos air as I drive to Ekiti. cry

(1) (Reply)

Final Solution: De-amalgamation And The Advantages Of Breaking Up Nigeria – By L / Fashola's Bulldozers Kill Woman, 6month Old Foetus / OKADA Nightmare Or Transport? (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.