Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? (2490 Views)

Do You Believe In Abstinence Till Marriage? / My Conversation With An American Lady / Do You Believe in Love At First Sight? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by akinstacey(f): 3:36am On Jun 03, 2007
So many people criticize a relationship between a Nigerian man and an American woman. Why is that? I know that yahoo boys have ruined the image of a lot of honest Nigerian men. But is it impossible to believe that a marriage will last between two people from two different cultures?
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by Nobody: 3:49am On Jun 03, 2007
It can happen,I know one that has lasted 25 years and counting.
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by cuteass1(f): 11:38am On Jun 04, 2007
Yea like any other thing in life, there is a great chance of survival. Both parties have to be willing to compromise, endure, have a level of understanding, and ready to adapt Cos obviously there'll be a deal of difference in culture and understanding and have a unite spirit

But like my sister BabyO said, lots have gone, seen and conquered cheesy

I do get what you mean by Yahoo boys though and then there are the ones that are just in it for selfish reasons like getting their papers and citizenship, but there are some who go in for dubious reasons, fall in love and live happily ever after

Some go in for the right reasons and end up not so happy . .

Yes its very much possible, its all about luck and destinies, if they're meant to happen, come rain come jupiter they will work, their cultures regardless wink
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by redwoman(f): 3:23pm On Jun 11, 2007
I am a african american woman and i have been married to a wonderful nigerian man for 31/2 years, this is my second marriage and i can say that there is nothing like african love. It has been and is a beautiful. He is my joy

Redwoman
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by Nobody: 1:34am On Jun 13, 2007
redwoman:

I am a african american woman and i have been married to a wonderful nigerian man for 31/2 years, this is my second marriage and i can say that there is nothing like african love. It has been and is a beautiful. He is my joy

Redwoman

wish you many more years of marital bliss.
Our men can be abrupt but they mean well,we have a different culture.
Most of them will give their lives for their family.
I'm happy to be a Nigerian married to a Nigerian
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by ajayi1(m): 5:29pm On Jun 13, 2007
@redwoman that is a good testimony, But it always better to call home your home.
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by ajayi1(m): 5:34pm On Jun 13, 2007
@redwoman  that is a good testimony, But it always better to call home your home.
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by yankite(m): 10:59am On Jan 29, 2008
WELL FROM MY OWN PERCEPTION ITS ALL BOILS DOWN TO THE UNDERSTANDING
LEVEL WHICH EXIST BTW THE 2 PARTIES,EVEN IF THERE IS NO NUT DAT IS TO ADD
TO CRACK,ITS ALL ABOUT DETERMINATION AND PERCIFERANCE,(THIS IS WHAT I WANT
AND NOT STOPING AT NOTHIN UNTILL I GET IT)IF THIS KIND OF ATTITUDE IS FROM THE
WOMAN I BELIEVE THE MAN IS SMALL DEAL,ONE SECREET ABOUT MEN IS THEY COULD
BE LURED 2 FALL IN LOVE WHEN THEY ARE PERSISTENTLY SHOWERED WITH LOVE AFFECTION
FROM A WOMAN(MEN LOVE WOMEN U COULD TOLERATE THEIR MESS)CUZ IN ANY RELATIONSHIP,
A WOMAN IS ALLWAYS THE DETERMINANT(REGARDLESS OF THE CULTURAL DIFFERENCES)
CUZ WHEN A WOMAN IS FED UP IN A RELATIONSHIP THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHIGN U CAN DO.
EVEN IF THE MAN ENTERED THE RELATIONSHIP ON A FRAUDULENT NOTE,THE WOMAN HAS THE
POWER TO CHANGE HIM,BY ACTUALLY STRIKING THE MAN WITH SOME LEVEL OF SUBSTANCE,THAT
DAT HE MIGHT BE MISSING IF HE BREAKS UP THAT UNION(IN OTHER WORDS THE LADIES HV THE POWER
TO CHANGE THEIR MEN DEPENDING ON THE LEVEL OF DETERMINATION)
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by RichyBlacK(m): 2:25pm On Jan 29, 2008
It's possible but difficult.

Today, the psyche of the typical American woman is not compatible with the traditional "till death do us part" kind of marriage.

Nigerian men are hard wired with the notion of roles in a marriage - the roles of the wife and the roles of the husband. The typical American woman is either unfamiliar with such roles or is familiar with and opposed to the entire notion of roles.

Many American women grew up in broken homes in which the idea "a lifelong happy marriage" has not been nurtured.

Most Nigerian men prefer to marry women in their twenties or early thirties, however, American women in their twenties are too immature for marriage, and so they're ready for marriage in their thirties and early forties. This age-maturity mismatch can be confusing for the typical Nigerian man.

Compared to Nigerian (or African/Caribbean) women, they do not mange stress very well.

Cases of anxiety, personality disorder, mental illness, etc. are more common among American women. This may be as a result of better health services that do a good job in managing these problems, with the unintended consequence of blurring the line between what we consider normal behavior and attitudes that are as a result of some form of mental illness. This ties into the higher propensity to use drugs (methamphetamine, heroine, ecstasy, marijuana, cocaine, etc.), probably as a means of coping with deep personality disorders, or as a path to some form of psychosis.
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by Blatant: 4:32pm On Jan 31, 2008
RichyBlacK:

It's possible but difficult.

Today, the psyche of the typical American woman is not compatible with the traditional "till death do us part" kind of marriage.

Nigerian men are hard wired with the notion of roles in a marriage - the roles of the wife and the roles of the husband. The typical American woman is either unfamiliar with such roles or is familiar with and opposed to the entire notion of roles.

Many American women grew up in broken homes in which the idea "a lifelong happy marriage" has not been nurtured.

Most Nigerian men prefer to marry women in their twenties or early thirties, however, American women in their twenties are too immature for marriage, and so they're ready for marriage in their thirties and early forties. This age-maturity mismatch can be confusing for the typical Nigerian man.

Compared to Nigerian (or African/Caribbean) women, they do not mange stress very well.

Cases of anxiety, personality disorder, mental illness, etc. are more common among American women. This may be as a result of better health services that do a good job in managing these problems, with the unintended consequence of blurring the line between what we consider normal behavior and attitudes that are as a result of some form of mental illness. This ties into the higher propensity to use drugs (methamphetamine, heroine, ecstasy, marijuana, cocaine, etc.), probably as a means of coping with deep personality disorders, or as a path to some form of psychosis.

Good analysis.

abeg the thing no dey work. One girl say she sabi one couple. Only one couple out of the several thousands what a statistic!
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by TCUBE(m): 11:58am On Mar 09, 2008
I believe in a lifelong marraige between humans, making a marriage work as got nothing to do with one's nationality, "u aint trippin stil u been screwed up, "
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by Leilah(f): 8:06pm On Aug 11, 2008
eh no it is not possible in my opinion speaking from my experience unless you have the patience of a saint!
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by ifyalways(f): 9:05pm On Aug 11, 2008
Leilah:

eh no it is not possible in my opinion speaking from my experience unless you have the patience of a saint!
rotflmao
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by JustGood(m): 12:20pm On Sep 24, 2008
Nothing is impossible but the thing no easy and there are extremely few success stories from such marriages, when one compares to the numbers that get married
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by sistawoman: 2:18pm On Sep 24, 2008
If both parties do their due diligence to get to know each other, to lay out expectations and are honest about how they feel and what they want then yes it can work.

Nigerian men are not the only men that believe in traditional women and men roles.  I have meet several American males and females that feel the same way.  I was raised in a two parent home and my parents very much believe in roles and understanding your place in the family.

If a marriage is entered into carefully, prayerfully and with complete open and honest communication there is no reason it can not work. 

But if one party or both are deceiving the other then it is done from the start.  Marriage is serious and should be entered into carefully, unless of course it is an arrangement, but that is not what we are talking about here.  Here we are talking about two people from different cultures falling in love and living out their gray years together.
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by Outstrip(f): 6:28pm On Sep 24, 2008
It is definitely posible. My uncle has been married over 16 years to an african american. I could not have asked for a better wife at school. I also have freinds I grew up with in Nigeria that have one american parent. All of them are still together. In some ways it simplifies things and in some ways it complicates things but that is life
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by Leilah(f): 6:45pm On Sep 24, 2008
I'm not saying marriage is not serious I woudl love to remain with myhusband forever but its always better for him to find a wife/slave from back home.
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by rampagain: 8:13pm On Sep 24, 2008
Leilah pls kindly stop posting shits,thanks
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by bintab(f): 1:00pm On Jan 12, 2009
@leila,why dont you let this your husband go since you hate him so much.
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by martho(m): 12:01pm On Jan 13, 2009
@leila,is ur man still breathing in that home?let him be the man,don't control him.by the way what part of dublin do u reside.
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by JJYOU: 12:06pm On Jan 13, 2009
wbb
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by chibaby5(f): 8:00pm On Feb 16, 2009
@topic

lyk duhh?? its nt lyk is the race or 2 countries in da relationship. its abwt da 2 individuals n if they both have dat connection between them, i dnt see y it shudnt wrk. there are alwayz ups n dwnz in a marriage regardless of da mixture of race n countries
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by CrazyMan(m): 8:06pm On Feb 16, 2009
No I don't
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by Magz(m): 10:45pm On Feb 16, 2009
It did not work for my mom and dad

But I am sure that it is possible though
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by outlaws(m): 9:36am On Feb 17, 2009
cool

Hey poster, there is nothing wrong with yahoo boys[Hustlers]. They are just getting what the White man took from them.

As for a marriage between a Nigerian and a White person I suppose you meant. There is a possiblity it will work but the chance is not encouraging.
Re: Do You Believe In A Lifelong Happy Marriage Between A Nigerian And An American? by Omolola1(f): 10:21am On Feb 17, 2009
marriage btw a nigerian and an american works but it is not easy

(1) (Reply)

Are All The Good Men Taking? / What Time Of The Night Do Couples Make Love / grown up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.