Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,187 members, 7,835,938 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year (2857 Views)

Arms Scandal: Jonathan Still Owing Me N180m –Anenih / Ambode Leading Officers To Arrest Traffic Offenders In Ijora (Photos) / N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by amanikondo: 7:15am On Dec 21, 2010
THE Lagos State Government may have realised over N180m in the last one year from fines imposed on motorists arrested for various traffic offences.

Similarly, about the same amount may have been lost to corrupt officers of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, who allegedly took money from erring motorists without booking them.

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Transportation, Mr. Kayode Opeifa, gave an indication that an average of 1,600 motorists were arrested every month since January this year, with each of them expected to pay between N2,000 and N25,000 as fines.

Going by this average figure, by the end of the year, no fewer than 19,200 drivers would have been apprehended for contravening traffic laws.

Read more: http://thotsandworks.com/topic/101-lagos-makes-n180m-from-traffic-offenders-in-one-year/
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by Igbanibo: 7:57am On Dec 21, 2010
What do they do with the money sha?
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by cecegorz(m): 12:43pm On Dec 21, 2010
I don't doubt them at all.
I actually contributed to that amount, i've paid 10k fine before. Its crazy.
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by blank(f): 1:00pm On Dec 21, 2010
U r still talking of N10k. I av paid N25k twice for driving on roads dat r one way. This is even though the roads r not clearly marked one way. This is apart from from all d oda 5k, etc dat I av p-d over time.
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by otukpo(f): 1:31pm On Dec 21, 2010
blank:

U r still talking of N10k. I av paid N25k twice for driving on roads dat r one way. This is even though the roads r not clearly marked one way. This is apart from from all d oda 5k, etc dat I av p-d over time.

That is the most annoying.

When roads are not clearly marked, the vultures hiding in one corner, once u drive in, they pounce on u like all their lives is on it.
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by apoti(m): 2:29pm On Dec 21, 2010
otukpo:

That is the most annoying.

When roads are not clearly marked, the vultures hiding in one corner, once u drive in, they pounce on u like all their lives is on it.

U don't know may be all their lives are actually on it grin

but i see more to come next year, cos if your biz brings a turnover of N180m p.a. u will be happy and want to double d figure.
so all ye lagos drivers get ready for arrest on d road. more arrest more money grin
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by Fhemmmy: 3:28pm On Dec 21, 2010
I am impressed that they at least have a record, could be more than that.
Could someone ask what the FG made?
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by Kajiang02(m): 3:36pm On Dec 21, 2010
Be Careful driving in lagos in d Nu yr,
LASTMA don dey VEX
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by Reference(m): 3:41pm On Dec 21, 2010
One of the most enterprising initiatives. Kudos to the LASG. If they won't obey let them pay. I tell you Nigeria can be run on the proceeds of law enforcement alone. Who needs crude oil. Crime is one big resource and we all all in control.
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by cecegorz(m): 4:15pm On Dec 21, 2010
blank:

Oh my, you actually top the chart  grin

The craziest areas seem to be those Yaba/Ebute Meta axis.
Was driving into UNILAG one of the days, just entered the University road from MMway, saw the newly tarred road and i tapped my feet on gas, cruising merrily past the cemetry, just within a few poles to the UNILAG gate, one of the men in black just jumped on me and i was like, is this one on a date with death  
Anyways, fully convinced that my 'papers' are always in order, i just confidently wound down, ready to lecture the guy on the value of his own life, only for the dude to tell me that i was driving on a one way road , I mean it was a straight road, just about the last one-fifth length of it  shocked  shocked

It was unbelievable, i looked back, looked front, the staight road is wide enough for trailers, how on earth can this road be a 'one way'?  shocked  shocked
The guy promptly pointed to one miniature obscure sign behind, showing where i was supposed to branch off, do a cross country before reappearing in front of UNILAG.
Well the guy entered my car ooo, and as they say, the rest is history grin
I will narrate another one later
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by Tolulop001(f): 4:29pm On Dec 21, 2010
cecegorz:

The guy promptly pointed to one miniature obscure sign behind, showing where i was supposed to branch off, do a cross country before reappearing in front of UNILAG.
Well the guy entered my car ooo, and as they say, the rest is history grin
I will narrate another one later

that particular place is notorious. the sign is not only miniature, it is minuscule grin!

plus i doubt the figure. it may be more. IMO
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:18pm On Dec 21, 2010
^^^ the famous UNILAG by-pass. If you fail to see it, I pity you. grin

Whenever I am in doubt, I turn on my hazard-warning lights and start jerking my car like it has problems. By which time I can scout for any hidden sign-posts grin
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by sizzlers(m): 5:44pm On Dec 21, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

Whenever I am in doubt, I turn on my hazard-warning lights and start jerking my car like it has problems. By which time I can scout for any hidden sign-posts grin
JUST COUNT UR SELF LUCKY? THEY NEVER GET TIME FOR U
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by Arosa(m): 6:29pm On Dec 21, 2010
Reference:

One of the most enterprising initiatives. Kudos to the LASG. If they won't obey let them pay. I tell you Nigeria can be run on the proceeds of law enforcement alone. Who needs crude oil. Crime is one big resource and we all all in control.
you can say that again.
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by Tolulop001(f): 8:38pm On Dec 21, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

lololol grin
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by rasputinn(m): 8:52pm On Dec 21, 2010
And how nmuch do the traffic officers make on the side;I'd hazard a guess in the region of at least twice that amount cool cool
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by MaiSuya(m): 8:57pm On Dec 21, 2010
As long as they can account for the money, then its good news.
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by Mbamaluike(m): 9:19pm On Dec 21, 2010
embarassed thats too small. heard they make nearly a mill during seasons. i.e a day. a mil
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by adexchamp(m): 10:50pm On Dec 21, 2010
WOW i won't doubt that amount because i've in that situation before and i paid 30k but i wouldn't know if the money actually gets to the Lagos State Government account because all this LASTMA officials are thieves.
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by Aydeggy: 11:23pm On Dec 21, 2010
if LASMA, Federal road safty Mashal, or any of those uniformed line-men flag you down and ask you to bring your driving license, please dont give them the original copy , just find a photocopy for them if not they will frustrate your life once they have your original driving license, if they have something for which to hold you down, then know your bill will be high,
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by Nymphnode(m): 11:55pm On Dec 21, 2010
Aydeggy:

if LASMA, Federal road safty Mashal, or any of those uniformed line-men flag you down and ask you to bring your driving license, please dont give them the original copy , just find a photocopy for them if not they will frustrate your life once they have your original driving license, if they have something for which to hold you down, then know your bill will be high,

I paid 17 thousand for driving in Lagos with an Ogun state drivers licence, they claimed it fake. Thats was some days after Ileya
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by Kobojunkie: 11:57pm On Dec 21, 2010
Aydeggy:

Yikes!
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by ikeyman00(m): 12:06am On Dec 22, 2010
@@@@

AND THE pot hole lives. . .
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by aljharem(m): 12:31am On Dec 22, 2010
if lagos makes so much money and they can not mend the pot-holes on the road, so were does the money go to

is it going to tinubu or going to the lagos account(that has debt of millions) or does it go to the federal government as a national income for the country
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by newmi(m): 12:33am On Dec 22, 2010
O boy!!!
See Malachi but what did they do with the money?
Hmmmmmmm undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by mrofficial(m): 7:33am On Dec 22, 2010
Na our money them use pay mallam spicy. Singing, I follow one way LASTMA wa mi wa'le o.
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by DisGuy: 8:41am On Dec 22, 2010
Nymph node:

I paid 17 thousand for driving in Lagos with an Ogun state drivers licence, they claimed it fake. Thats was some days after Ileya

hmmm some crazy laws here

Hope they will be using the money to paint bigger road signs
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by DisGuy: 8:44am On Dec 22, 2010
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by hollars(m): 10:42am On Dec 22, 2010
good to know, i pray i dont get in their trap, i usually have to slow down to let at least 3 cars pass me and go in front before i drive into any unknown street anywhere. im never in a rush to drive through any street. i usually ask any trader around to know if its a one-way road.
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by ow11(m): 11:07am On Dec 22, 2010
This would be chicken change if the CP of Lagos decides to import breathalyzers (costs $35 a pop) and I can bet a 15k fine and a pro rated charge based on how much you are over the limit will make a cool income for our police and make our roads a bit saner.

The amount of drunks behind the wheel every friday and saturday night in our big cities will go down!
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by sonofLAW(m): 11:08am On Dec 22, 2010
Talking about traffic, I saw this write up o lagos on a blog. Quite interesting

http://kaizersozemethods..com/2010/12/not-so-fictional-things-that-scare-me.html
Re: Lagos Makes N180m From Traffic Offenders In A Year by cecegorz(m): 12:02pm On Dec 22, 2010
adexchamp:

WOW i won't doubt that amount because i've in that situation before and i paid 30k but i wouldn't know if the money actually gets to the Lagos State Government account because all this LASTMA officials are thieves.

If you settled on the road without receipt, the officer don hammer. if you went to their office and paid with a receipt delivered, it's in the account.

hollars:

good to know, i pray i dont get in their trap, i usually have to slow down to let at least 3 cars pass me and go in front before i drive into any unknown street anywhere. im never in a rush to drive through any street. i usually ask any trader around to know if its a one-way road.

You ain't seen nothing, man. Take an example of the University road i mentioned ealier, the road from the point of entry is a dual way road, very spacious at that. Then towards the end of that same road, it becomes one way  shocked  shocked  shocked
It's just like entering your street, which takes two way movement, then three-quaters way in, it becomes one way. And there is no bold sign to warn you, just craftly designed for money making!
And the officers too are all hidden, Police will be seated in the nearby Kiosk from where they will jump on you, then they will hand you over to the plain clothes LASTMA crooks waiting in the flanks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rep Seeks N800BN For Repairs Of Federal Roads / Refineries In Indonesia Is False - Build Up Nigerian / How Boko Haram Captured Mubi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.