Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,919 members, 7,814,096 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

I Was Deceived. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Was Deceived. (2844 Views)

How Muhammad Ali Was Deceived By Islam & Why Cassius Clay Was His Greatest Name / How I Was Deceived At Winners Chapel And Had A Heart Attack / Don't Be Deceived, Sex Is Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Was Deceived. by BlueAngel444: 4:55pm On Mar 06, 2020
I was deceived. I did not know it at the time, of course. That is one of the problems with deception. You never know you are deceived until the Holy Spirit breaks in and shows you the truth. Usually, that breakthrough comes in the wake of your growing sense of “dis-ease” about a situation, and finally seeking the truth even though it might be painful to hear.

Not long after I was saved, I began attending a church that taught about the fivefold ministries of Ephesians 4:11—the
specific callings to the offices of apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor and teacher. The problem was the legalism and authoritarianism with which the pastor applied this verse to his own ministry.

What seemed like exciting new revelation to me,
though, was really a door of deception that led to all manner of false doctrine.
I was so hungry to learn about God, I somehow failed to see that God’s love was never mentioned. Rather, a workhorse mentality prized performance over passion for Jesus. People’s needs were neglected for the sake of building one man's kingdom. We were rewarded for actions that built up the pastor’s ministry and rebuked for actions that slowed the growth of his agenda.

I was the golden child for several years —I served out of a pure heart to build the Kingdom— so I was surprised when people close to me began to question some of the teachings and demands.
I pooh-poohed it at first, but those seeds of truth eventually sprouted, and I began to see how the pastor’s teaching on the fivefold ministry offices was not new revelation at all. Rather it was perverted doctrine designed to establish his position over us and control us with fear.

But there is no fear in love. Perfect love drives out fear (see 1 John 4:18). I watched as many people left the church claiming that the love of Christ was not there. When they did, the pastor quickly marked them as deceived.

But they were not deceived, I was and so was the leadership. As the evidence of the deception began piling up, I started crying out to God. I wanted to know the truth.

I went to the leadership and voiced some of my concerns. I was told that the teaching was true and that I was wrong to question it. At that point, I knew that one way or another I had fallen into deception. But which was it? Was the teaching wrong or was my mistrust of it wrong? I prayed for months for God to break the deception off my mind. Suddenly, I saw clearly.

I left the church. Even then, the enemy tried to make me think I had left in error. But God has proven abundantly that it was His voice I
was following.

Would you know if you were deceived?

Whether you have been in prophetic ministry for decades or are just entering prophetic ministry, you can be deceived. In fact, if you do no not think you can be deceived then you are already deceived.

I submit to you that we are all walking in some measure of deception. The enemy has told all of us lies that we believe about ourselves, lies that hold us back or cause us to react in an ungodly manner. If we were completely free, I believe we would be walking in much greater authority and anointing.

Deception is progressive, like Usher syndrome, a rare genetic disorder that gradually causes blindness. People do not move from worshiping God to worshiping angels overnight, for example. People do not take one giant leap from the practical study of biblical types and shadows to the
practice of occultism. It starts with one of those little “foxes”— such as Solomon said spoil the vines.

Just as the Word of God warns us that one sin can lead to another sin (read: David and Bathsheba), it is also true that one error can lead to another error. One wrong belief can cause us to believe many wrong things.

The devil first has to seduce us before he can deceive us, and he will usually start with something that seems on the up and up. After all, the apostle Paul warned us that Satan transforms himself into an angel of light (see 2 Corinthians
11:14).

But considering all the warnings in Scripture about deceiving spirits, how does deception get its stronghold? Well, one way is ignorance of the Word of God and the ways of God.

But deception also finds a doorway in the idolatry of our hearts. The Bible says that “the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked” (Jeremiah 17:9). If that is true, and it is, then none of us is above deception. If we think we are, as I said, we are deceived already.

The good news is Jesus sent the Holy Ghost to lead and guide us into all truth—truth that is readily confirmed in the canon of Scripture. If we follow His Spirit and His written Word instead of the idolatry of our hearts, we will walk in the light.

- Jennifer LeClaire

I pray that the Holy Spirit will reveal the truth to those who have been deceived so they can be free in Yeshua's name. Amen

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Deceived. by JoyAda1234(f): 8:48pm On Mar 06, 2020
I stopped believing in roman catholicism after testing its teachings with the scripture;some of their doctrines are flatly opposing to the scripture.However,I'm worried that I might be wrong afterall;I really do not want to offend God.

2 Likes

Re: I Was Deceived. by BlueAngel444: 1:01pm On Mar 07, 2020
JoyAda1234:
I stopped believing in roman catholicism after testing its teachings with the scripture;some of their doctrines are flatly opposing to the scripture.However,I'm worried that I might be wrong afterall;I really do not want to offend God.
teachings like?

1 Like

Re: I Was Deceived. by LordReed(m): 3:53pm On Mar 07, 2020
You went to church and were still deceived like this doesn't ring any bells for you? Doesn't make you pause and think?

1 Like

Re: I Was Deceived. by BlueAngel444: 7:24pm On Mar 07, 2020
LordReed:
You went to church and were still deceived like this doesn't ring any bells for you? Doesn't make you pause and think?
meaning undecided ?
Re: I Was Deceived. by LordReed(m): 8:30pm On Mar 07, 2020
BlueAngel444:
meaning undecided ?

Meaning a god arranges these things and right in the centre of his susposed arrangement you can get deceived? It doesn't strike you as odd? The man was using the same bible you were using, the one supposedly from god, how can the information not be unambiguous? How can you be deceived by information from god?

1 Like

Re: I Was Deceived. by BlueAngel444: 8:35am On Mar 08, 2020
LordReed:

Meaning a god arranges these things and right in the centre of his susposed arrangement you can get deceived? It doesn't strike you as odd? The man was using the same bible you were using, the one supposedly from god, how can the information not be unambiguous? How can you be deceived by information from god?
because men are deceivers?

1 Like

Re: I Was Deceived. by LordReed(m): 8:55am On Mar 08, 2020
BlueAngel444:
because men are deceivers?

How can a man deceive you with words of a god? Or even more specifically to you the god?
Re: I Was Deceived. by BlueAngel444: 9:32am On Mar 08, 2020
LordReed:

How can a man deceive you with words of a god? Or even more specifically to you the god?
By twisting it's meaning or confusing the original concept

3 Likes

Re: I Was Deceived. by LordReed(m): 10:09am On Mar 08, 2020
BlueAngel444:

By twisting it's meaning or confusing the original concept

I don't understand how the words of a god can be twisted. Is the god dead? Is it just watching that happen? What kind of god allows that to happen? And within it's own arrangement no less ie church? This should be mind boggling to anybody willing to give this more than passing thought.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Was Deceived. by BlueAngel444: 11:43am On Mar 08, 2020
LordReed:

I don't understand how the words of a god can be twisted. Is the god dead? Is it just watching that happen? What kind of god allows that to happen? And within it's own arrangement no less ie church? This should be mind boggling to anybody willing to give this more than passing thought.

Well you have a point, I mean if God immediately killed people like you when you make mistakes, I wonder how one would see God.

Besides everyone gets punished in their own time for their wickedness. God's patience is out of mercy.

7 Likes

Re: I Was Deceived. by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 08, 2020
JoyAda1234:

Go back to the Catholic Church.

You have a better chance to spiritual growth there than all these mushroom miracle centers.

Whatever you don't understand, there are many Catholic fora online, on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter that may give you the reply you seek.

Don't go to churches where their pastors tell you they can cure Corona virus.

Don't go to churches where their pastor will tell you they'll make you filthy rich, but first, donate.

Don't go to churches where the focus is on the pastor and whatever he says about the bible.

Don't go to church where they see evil in every created thing, shouting at them to die by fire.

Don't go to church where their pastors are preoccupied with building auditoriums that will sit billions of people.

Don't go to churches where their pastor or bishop will say "in Jesus name we have cursed".

Be guided. Stay blessed.

Oh BTW, you can't offend God. He is beyond that plane where whatever we do can affect him.

Don't stop asking questions. God won't throw you in hell for asking questions.

1 Like

Re: I Was Deceived. by LordReed(m): 12:30pm On Mar 08, 2020
BlueAngel444:

Well you have a point, I mean if God immediately killed people like you when you make mistakes, I wonder how one would see God.

Besides everyone gets punished in their own time for their wickedness. God's patience is out of mercy.

Bwahahahaha! Is that how you treat children? Immediately kill them when they make mistakes? So your god can't think of corrective measures beyond killing? What a pitiful thought.
Re: I Was Deceived. by SundayIgbanke: 12:42pm On Mar 08, 2020
[s]
FrLukas:

You have a better chance to spiritual growth there than all these mushroom miracle centers.

Whatever you don't understand, there are many Catholic fora online, on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter that may give you the reply you seek.

Don't go to churches where their pastor will tell you they'll make you filthy rich, but first, donate.

Don't go to churches where the focus is on the pastor and whatever he says about the bible.

Don't go to church where they see evil in every created thing, shouting at them to die by fire.

Don't go to church where their pastors are preoccupied with building auditoriums that will sit billions of people.

Don't go to churches where their pastor or bishop will say "in Jesus name we have cursed".

Be guided. Stay blessed.

Oh BTW, you can't offend God. He is beyond that plane where whatever we do can affect him.

[/s]

2 Likes

Re: I Was Deceived. by JoyAda1234(f): 12:42pm On Mar 08, 2020
BlueAngel444:
teachings like?
Purgatory,praying to mary and the saints,teaching that Mary is co-redemptrix i.e she with Jesus saved mankind,teaching that all grace goes through Mary and so on.

3 Likes

Re: I Was Deceived. by JoyAda1234(f): 12:54pm On Mar 08, 2020
FrLukas:

I was a bit worried then because I still partly held on to the belief that roman catholic is the one true church but now I know better; roman catholic church is a FALSE church and I am NEVER going back to it EVER!! And I hope other catholics find the truth someday soon.Amen!

3 Likes

Re: I Was Deceived. by BlueAngel444: 7:54pm On Mar 08, 2020
JoyAda1234:
Purgatory,praying to mary and the saints,teaching that Mary is co-redemptrix i.e she with Jesus saved mankind,teaching that all grace goes through Mary and so on.
and there are people who believe something like this? shocked how? Is there a scriptural backing for such a teaching

1 Like

Re: I Was Deceived. by JoyAda1234(f): 8:52pm On Mar 08, 2020
BlueAngel444:
and there are people who believe something like this? shocked how? Is there a scriptural backing for such a teaching
Of course not! And that's why I decided to leave.

2 Likes

Re: I Was Deceived. by BlueAngel444: 8:39am On Mar 09, 2020
FrLukas:

Be guided. Stay blessed.

Lol so you think Catholic is now the answer

The church that builds the biggest and most expensive, the wealthiest church that has many shady organizations.

With doctrines without proper Torah explanation

2 Likes

Re: I Was Deceived. by Nobody: 8:43am On Mar 09, 2020
BlueAngel444:

Lol so you think Catholic is now the answer

The church that builds the biggest and most expensive, the wealthiest church that has many shady organizations.

With doctrines without proper Torah explanation

No, I don't think the Catholic Church has all the answers.

But I know that the Catholic Church has MOST of the answers and gives the best opportunity on moving towards a spiritual path.

Of all the Christian denominations, it is only the Catholic Church that still stands against anti-nature, anti-social behaviours like homosexuality, abortion, mercy killing, etc.

You do know that the Bible you are carrying around was selected and compiled by the Pope and Bishops of the Catholic Church, right?

1 Like

Re: I Was Deceived. by LordReed(m): 8:48am On Mar 09, 2020
FrLukas:

But I know that the Catholic Church has MOST of the answers and gives the best opportunity on moving towards a spiritual path.

Of all the Christian denominations, it is only the Catholic Church that still stands against anti-nature, anti-social behaviours like homosexuality, abortion, mercy killing, etc.

You do know that the Bible you are carrying around was selected and compiled by the Pope and Bishops of the Catholic Church, right?

What a glowing recommendation! The catholic church selected the doctrines of god that you should believe! OMFD the freaking irony! LMFAO!

1 Like

Re: I Was Deceived. by Parrish: 10:28am On Mar 09, 2020
[s]
FrLukas:

[/s]

1 Like

Re: I Was Deceived. by BlueAngel444: 10:57am On Mar 12, 2020
FrLukas:

how many denominations have you attended undecided

1 Like

Re: I Was Deceived. by Nobody: 11:05am On Mar 12, 2020
BlueAngel444:
how many denominations have you attended undecided

I don't need to attend all the denominations.

I know that there can't be many Churches.

There can only be one. Only one Bride of Christ. Not many.

The Holy Spirit isn't an agent of confusion.

Every denomination teaches things that are fundamentally different from the others and all claim the Holy Spirit.

To say all of them are the true Christian Church is to say the Holy Spirit is confused.

So, by that logic, there has to be one Church indeed that teaches all of the truth at all times in all places.

What's your best bet?

I'll pick the Catholic Church.

I am much older than most of the Christian denominations in Nigeria anyway, so I don't see them as the true Church of Jesus Christ.

smiley
Re: I Was Deceived. by Nobody: 11:19am On Mar 12, 2020
JoyAda1234:
I was a bit worried then because I still partly held on to the belief that roman catholic is the one true church but now I know better; roman catholic church is a FALSE church and I am NEVER going back to it EVER!! And I hope other catholics find the truth someday soon.Amen!

Sorry, I saw your quote late.

Here's something for you to consider.

Which Church are you going to start attending?

The one founded by a man?

If you are truly truly against the Church because of doctrinal issues, then let me recommend 3 books for you to read.

1. Rome Sweet Home. This one is about an American Protestant pastor who spent his life in the Protestant seminary teaching and arguing against the doctrines of the Catholic Church. His name is Dr. Scott Hahn.

If after reading his book, you still have questions, you can look him up on Facebook and Instagram and ask him questions. I'm sure he'll answer you.

2. The Faith Explained by Leo J. Trese. In simple language, this man explains the deep teachings of the Church. I guarantee you, you will enjoy reading it. I read it when I was just 14.

3. Catholicism and Fundamentalism. I've forgotten the name of the author. He is one of those who engage in Catholic apologetics.
His book will answer all of your questions.

You need to understand that the Catholic Church is like 2,000 years old.

Whatever questions you have at this moment, has been asked before and answered convincingly in the past 2,000 years.

Unless you want to say that all those who attended the Catholic Church for the last 1,500 years t least, are blind and illiterates.

Before you make a final decision, go through some of those books, at least.

The first one is much easier to read and quite cheap too. Just go to any Catholic Bookshop or At Paul's center and get it.

I hope it opens your mind and you see reasons to consider staying on.

All the objections you made about praying through Mary, calling Mary this and that...they are questions that have been asked and answered.

At least, if for nothing, for curiosity sake, read those books and learn more about the faith you want to abandon for one established by a man whose calling you know nothing of.

Best wishes from me dear.

1 Like

Re: I Was Deceived. by BlueAngel444: 1:02pm On Mar 12, 2020
FrLukas:

Every denomination teaches things that are fundamentally different from the others and all claim the Holy Spirit.

To say all of them are the true Christian Church is to say the Holy Spirit is confused.

So, by that logic, there has to be one Church indeed that teaches all of the truth at all times in all places.

What's your best bet?

I am much older than most of the Christian denominations in Nigeria anyway, so I don't see them as the true Church of Jesus Christ.

smiley
that means your answer is NO

you basically avoid them, so how do you know what they are about, ain't you being prejudice and a bit myopic to conclude such when you consider the deviations of the same catholic church from the "faith" they claim to proclaim.

Besides the bride of Christ is not a church

1 Like

Re: I Was Deceived. by JoyAda1234(f): 1:22pm On Mar 12, 2020
FrLukas:

Firstly,the Roman church was not founded by Jesus Christ;the true church of Christ are the people that he redeemed with his blood and these people are found in every denomination-his true disciples.Secondly,a church founded by Christ will not contradict his word.
As for what denomination I shall be attending,I would simply look for one that teaches the truth.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Deceived. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Mar 12, 2020
JoyAda1234:
Firstly,the Roman church was not founded by Jesus Christ;the true church of Christ are the people that he redeemed with his blood and these people are found in every denomination-his true disciples.Secondly,a church founded by Christ will not contradict his word.
As for what denomination I shall be attending,I would simply look for one that teaches the truth.

Good luck with your search for the one that teaches the truth.
Re: I Was Deceived. by ObaOduaa: 1:39pm On Mar 12, 2020
[s]
FrLukas:

[/s]

1 Like

Re: I Was Deceived. by Acehart: 1:40pm On Mar 12, 2020
FrLukas:

John 4:23 But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.

You don’t have to wish her luck in her search; the Father is searching for her already; He doesn’t lose his way. He will find her.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Was Deceived. by ObaOduaa: 2:10pm On Mar 12, 2020
[s]
FrLukas:

What's your best bet?

smiley
[/s]

1 Like

Re: I Was Deceived. by ObaOduaa: 2:14pm On Mar 12, 2020
[s]
FrLukas:

If you are truly truly against the Church because of doctrinal issues, then let me recommend 3 books for you to read.

1. Rome Sweet Home. This one is about an American Protestant pastor who spent his life in the Protestant seminary teaching and arguing against the doctrines of the Catholic Church. His name is Dr. Scott Hahn.

If after reading his book, you still have questions, you can look him up on Facebook and Instagram and ask him questions. I'm sure he'll answer you.

2. The Faith Explained by Leo J. Trese. In simple language, this man explains the deep teachings of the Church. I guarantee you, you will enjoy reading it. I read it when I was just 14.

3. Catholicism and Fundamentalism. I've forgotten the name of the author. He is one of those who engage in Catholic apologetics.
His book will answer all of your questions.

You need to understand that the Catholic Church is like 2,000 years old.

Whatever questions you have at this moment, has been asked before and answered convincingly in the past 2,000 years.

Unless you want to say that all those who attended the Catholic Church for the last 1,500 years t least, are blind and illiterates.

Before you make a final decision, go through some of those books, at least.

The first one is much easier to read and quite cheap too. Just go to any Catholic Bookshop or At Paul's center and get it.

I hope it opens your mind and you see reasons to consider staying on.

All the objections you made about praying through Mary, calling Mary this and that...they are questions that have been asked and answered.

At least, if for nothing, for curiosity sake, read those books and learn more about the faith you want to abandon for one established by a man whose calling you know nothing of.

Best wishes from me dear.
[/s]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Is Saddam? Heaven Or Hell? / How To Contact Your Guardian Angels / Common Logical Fallacies Made By Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.