Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,322 members, 7,829,796 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 (55867 Views)

10 Takeaways From Briefing By Akin Abayomi, Today / Akin Abayomi: Most People Who Contract Coronavirus Don't Feel Sick / Professor Akin Abayomi Visits The Corona Virus Patient (Pictures). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by maklelemakukula(m): 8:32pm On Mar 27, 2020
Angelfrost:

Don't blame him... He had to cough up something or people would wonder why he was employed in the first place.
ikr
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Jostoman: 8:33pm On Mar 27, 2020
They should give us money first before the total lockdown o
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by FunkyJustice(m): 8:34pm On Mar 27, 2020
vanunu:
The virus from my own study thrives in cold environment, so guys avoid hotels , malls and public places with air condition
I believe your thoughts are right

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Shaprara: 8:35pm On Mar 27, 2020
Everyone should be curious as to this modelling by the commissioner, why is that journalist don't question this so called experts or people on the bases of there models. The model put out by Neil Ferguson of the imperial college which predicted that about 500k would die in the UK and 2.2million people would die in weeks was the reason why almost all the western countries went on lockdown, almost a month deep the US has almost 2k deaths and the UK isn't close to that. Now he has revised his model to say about 20k would die without the social distancing measures, Interestingly the order for social distancing and the stay at home order was giving just days ago and the UK is in its 3rd day of that order. All this overnight mathematicians should not come up with numbers to scare people and drive government policy, sanwo olu is already talking about declaring curfew, it's just a matter of time before states follow. The government is going to keep people in there houses rubbing them off of freedom and their means of livelihood and yet theres no plan on the government side on how to mitigate the hunger virus that will follow. Neil Ferguson himself is down with the virus now.
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Shaprara: 8:41pm On Mar 27, 2020
ogododo:

https://punchng.com/lagos-coronavirus-cases-may-rise-to-39000-commissioner/

So, at weeks two and three of our index case, we are flat; and at week four, we have 37 cases; while at the same fourth week, Italy, Iran, and Spain had more than 20,000 cases- LAsG health Commisoner

At week one, two, three of the index case, there was no stay at home order in Lagos State, flights were going to and fro , everyone was going about there business, at week four, there was a stay at home order, comparing that model to (Northern Italy where the hotspot it) Italy is not so accurate. Italy had a lot of cases before the lockdown, during the lockdown still, in fact more cases during the lockdown than before the lockdown and a high mortality rate.

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Siberia01(m): 8:41pm On Mar 27, 2020
grin Naija go chop am
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by emonkey(m): 8:42pm On Mar 27, 2020
AroleOduduwa2:
The real figures will shock people, the FG and ministry involve have been downplaying how fast spreading this virus is.

Does anyone have it in your own family? If not where do you want them to go and find the "real figures". From somebody else's family? You educated Nigerians are amazing.

2 Likes

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Bimpe29: 8:42pm On Mar 27, 2020
It shall not even be up to 300 cases.

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by ivolt: 8:43pm On Mar 27, 2020
johnmattew:
I doubt so.....the sun is limiting the spread.

the rich ones are getting the virus cos they are living in air conditioned houses relatives that returned from abroad
Stop endangering people's lives.

Every country that thinks they are special have ended up regretting it.

This sort of fake news is contributing to the complacency we have regarding social distancing compliance.
Unfortunately, there is no consequence for irresponsible messaging.
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by efighter: 8:44pm On Mar 27, 2020
rottennaija:
Lagos must be doing something right. We the citizens must help ourselves if we are to survive this... God forbids we have 300 cases by middle of April

And some idiots are praising the miscreant Imam of Peace from Iran whose people are dying everyday like chickens but he is not concerned, rather he is concerned about Nigeria's President who has been working silently and achieving results.
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by tomdon(m): 8:48pm On Mar 27, 2020
iyaSegun84:
What a baseless statistics

They know why they're saying that
They have information
People that are being confirmed positive now must've been seen to have been with other people who didn't know those people had it

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by emonkey(m): 8:48pm On Mar 27, 2020
isthatso:

as at march 22, the whole of Nigeria had only done 152 tests.

https://qz.com/africa/1824401/coronavirus-nigerias-cdc-has-conducted-only-153-tests/

Ask them for test they will tell you they only test people with symptoms.

South African was done 15000 tests and they have over 1000, Ghana with a lower population has more thatn Nigeria, Egypt has 495. There is no way Nigeria has only 63, they should stop fooling themselves and the rest of us. At the current ratio, if Nigeria did the same number of tests as SA, we will have 6500 cases.

Go and contribute all your family members to the cases nah. So that them go plenty well well . Abi whose family do you want them to use for your entertainment?

3 Likes

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Thinkfree(m): 8:51pm On Mar 27, 2020
[quote author=Tetrahedron post=87826710]They are gradually coming out with the truth
With this incompetent govt lets pray italy wont be a child’s play to Nigeria’s undecided[/qu ote] how competent are you handling your married life? That is if r married or ever going to get married.
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by SirWarlock: 8:52pm On Mar 27, 2020
Angelfrost:
Great work at statistical permutations... But, give it a rest sir.

This viral nonsense is ending sooner than expected, except you morons wish to keep letting infected returnees in...

The infection cycle should break any time now... But, I sense you guys enjoy declaring cases and acting like you are working, so keep making permutations. grin
Honestly I hope this is the case but I never imagined it would get this bad in New York cry And Lagos is another populated area like New York
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Angelfrost(m): 8:52pm On Mar 27, 2020
Mizwisdom:

This disease has max of 14 days to manifest, the first case was noticed in February, we are in late March yet people are not visiting hospitals with symptoms of corona and Isolation camps are almost empty. This makes me wonder when the situation will escalate beyond Spain and Italy?

It's obvious that it's not spreading here and its effect is not as devastating here as it is abroad. Instead of foreseeing doom just magnify God and exalt his name for he is good.

Dear Sis, leave your doomsayers alone... They think they are being overtly smart!!!... Under normal circumstances, at the normal rate of viral spread and symptoms manifestation, most states should have not less than 500 hospitalized cases, and Lagos shouldn't have anything less than 4000 dying at the very grim least.

When we state these clear facts, they call us overtly optimistic... But, this is a reality that even the dense leaders are well aware of.

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by ivolt: 8:52pm On Mar 27, 2020
edo3:
Now now now 37000,, make una dey fear God ooo,, even the countries wey get worst hit never recorded ds great numbers at early stage.. Haba jaamal!!! Everything don turn to business for nigeria.. See how some doctors go cash out big time.
Use your head.
Not everything is a joke.
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Thinkfree(m): 8:53pm On Mar 27, 2020
Tetrahedron:
They are gradually coming out with the truth
With this incompetent govt lets pray italy wont be a child’s play to Nigeria’s undecided
how competent are you handling your married life? That is if r married or ever going to get married.
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Nobody: 8:55pm On Mar 27, 2020
emonkey:

Go and contribute all your family members to the cases nah. So that them go plenty well well . Abi whose family do you want them to use for your entertainment?

idiots like you is the reason why if this pandemic starts to manifest in Nigeria, we will have one of the worst stats in the world.
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Seun(m): 8:58pm On Mar 27, 2020
I’m quite confident that the extreme heat has helped us. I don't think any virus can survive for long on any surface exposed to our roasting sunlight. But we are going into the rainy season, when most days will be cool and cloudy, so let’s get our act together ASAP.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Dalby(m): 8:59pm On Mar 27, 2020
Tpharell:

I beg to differ completely here. The only reason why this is so is that we are not testing enough, period! Infact, compared to what Spain and Italy did at the fourth week we are not testing at all.
If we are not testing enough, and there are more cases out there they will appear at the hospitals when they become symptomatic, but that is clearly not the case so
E no dey hide, even if you downplay figures the will show up and overwhelm the hospitals...

2 Likes

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Dcoy: 9:00pm On Mar 27, 2020
Indirect real figure
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by emonkey(m): 9:00pm On Mar 27, 2020
isthatso:

idiots like you is the reason why if this pandemic starts to manifest in Nigeria, we will have one of the worst stats in the world.

Yes I am an idiot. When you have at least one member of your family included in your own estimate I will applaud your brilliance.

2 Likes

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Annivers(m): 9:01pm On Mar 27, 2020
Something is telling me to go back to my village

Lagos see you later

Bye
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Ryocaj(m): 9:01pm On Mar 27, 2020
DrChukki:

Corrected... Is 2.3% not 0.23%
Even 2.3% of 39000 sef na 897
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by zedman1(m): 9:02pm On Mar 27, 2020
Garrieveryday:
As expected. The incompetence of this government is zero to none.
Every body knows bro, now can you guys stop these blame games? If corona could go almost all round the world, how then can an incompetent government stop it from coming into Nigeria? Besides I got exhausted of blaming any government several years ago, because we are the government and we don't even know which way to go....now comes the Virus.

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by XANDERBOY85: 9:05pm On Mar 27, 2020
okeyben10:
That's cos to a typical Nigerian any flu is malaria.

If you wanna get correct estimates compare the no of people tested to the positives.
Dont test only 20 people and say unlike Italy Nigeria has only one case.

Btw, when d case is low, the curve stays flattened

Meanwhile Savagery of the day belongs to the imam of peace

I wonder how many poor people living in highly populated areas of Lagos are showing the symptoms but only going to the local untrained chemist or local ill-equipped hospital for drugs! And because he needs to hustle to survive, he takes the drugs and goes out the next day for whatever it is he does to keep body and soul together....touching naira notes; talking in close proximity to others; picking or blowing his nose and not washing his hands before touching others; infecting the bus or keke he boards; etc!

There are many unreported cases of people falling sick who don’t bother to report to the right quarters either because they’re intimidated and scared, or because they see this COVID thing as a disease of the rich and upper-class!

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by emonkey(m): 9:06pm On Mar 27, 2020
Seun:
I’m quite confident that the extreme heat has helped us. I don't think any virus can survive for long on any surface exposed to our roasting sunlight. But we are going into the rainy season, when most days will be cool and cloudy, so let’s get our act together ASAP.

I constantly say it when I go outside that if any virus can survive this heat, it is indestructible. Let us pray that we get this thing under control before the rainy season becomes advanced. On the other hand more rain means cleaner air, naturally disinfected.God help us all.
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by XANDERBOY85: 9:07pm On Mar 27, 2020
Annivers:
Something is telling me to go back to my village

Lagos see you later

Bye

That’s how it would spread more widely!
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Meritocracy: 9:08pm On Mar 27, 2020
This man should not put politics on this trying to turn billionaire overnight because of Coronavirus. Before you know they will say all donated money is not enough and still borrow join.

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by rottennaija(m): 9:11pm On Mar 27, 2020
SmallSimba:

It is not Lagos, its the bcg vaccine. Please read this thread. Mods should put it in the front page
https://www.nairaland.com/5758030/coronavirus-hope-africa-bcg-vaccine

They might be a serious point there... Who knows
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Timijo(m): 9:14pm On Mar 27, 2020
Nigeria is a country where the masses suffer in the midst of plenty because of poor leadership and it is very disheartening that many of her citizens are satisfied while they suffer and cover it up with a smoky liked smile.

Talking about COVID 19 in which it was assumed by many Nigerians that the so-called President spent weeks learning how to pronounce it before addressing the nation. But in the end, he pronounced it wrongly in a very short speech and brought an international disgrace to the nation. What has he done to curtail the spread of the virus? What is he doing to alleviate the suffering of his citizens in this critical time that the people have to stay indoors as preventive measures? Many Nigerians depend on daily income to feed themselves. Where is he and the cabals? Other world leaders are given stipends and foods to their citizens to cushion their pains in this lockdown but the so-called president has gone into hibernation. The "president" does not care for anyone, he only cares for himself and his family.

The government of deceit kept lying that everything is in place to fight COVID 19 pandemic, while other sensible presidents are preparing. But when the virus hit Nigeria, they started beating about the bush and it came to the limelight that Nigerians have been scammed again. It was a shame that my country leaders had to wait for the donations of Jack Ma from China to tackle coronavirus.
With these donations by Jack Ma, people with COVID 19 symptoms are going to the designated hospitals for tests and treatments but they are being sent back with the flimsy excuse that there are no test kits. And the health workers are also threatening to stop working because there are no personal protective equipment for them. Excuse me! Where are the ones donated by Jack Ma? I heard they were moved to Abuja. Are they using them for decoration there? I guess they will sell them among themselves and re-sell to the nation again as usual.
In addition, it is so annoying to hear that the government said there is no money to acquire a ventilator that costs $10,000 for hospitals but there is money to buy 400 latest Toyota Camry cars for themselves. Each of these cars costs about $40,000. Convert this money to naira and multiply it by 400, you will see that it is a huge amount which is more than sufficient to equip all the government hospitals in Nigeria. But the careless president and his cabals misplaced their priorities.

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by ogatboy(m): 9:15pm On Mar 27, 2020
NextD18:
It's very risky to live in an overpopulated area.

Highly risky!

just like new york

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chikwe Ihekweazu: I Don't Wear Face-Masks Because No Policy On That Yet / What Is The Difference Between The White Vitamin C Tablets And The Orange Ones? / Man Electrocuted To Death In Aba Few Weeks To Traditional Wedding (Graphic Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.