Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,464 members, 7,830,333 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 (55869 Views)

10 Takeaways From Briefing By Akin Abayomi, Today / Akin Abayomi: Most People Who Contract Coronavirus Don't Feel Sick / Professor Akin Abayomi Visits The Corona Virus Patient (Pictures). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Alvin212(m): 9:15pm On Mar 27, 2020
This cone-headed Togo immigrant should be flushed out.
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Gerrard59(m): 9:16pm On Mar 27, 2020
johnmattew:
I doubt so.....the sun is limiting the spread.

the rich ones are getting the virus cos they are living in air conditioned houses relatives that returned from abroad

Yet it's spreading in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. undecided

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by bluefilm: 9:34pm On Mar 27, 2020
So this one too don join the bandwagon of scaring the masses with this coronavirus scam of a business?

Nonsense. angry

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Brunicekid(m): 9:39pm On Mar 27, 2020
DrChukki:
Covid-19 has a fatality rate of approximately 2.3%.

So if we are to have 39,000 cases in Lagos, that means we're expecting 897 deaths in Lagos alone . ..
====

You see why we just have to allow these politicians to get this virus and die.

Close boarder them no hear.
Okay get health facilities, NO.

Someone will take public transport to LUTH for Covid-19 test. When he tests positive, they will still ask him to go home because there's no facility to take care of him. The same person will go home on public transport.

You see eh... If not for the love of God, Nigeria suppose to be having high figures by now.

May God continue to help us
Amen...Amen... Amen in Jesus Mighty Name!!!
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by bahaushe1: 9:39pm On Mar 27, 2020
Tpharell:

I beg to differ completely here. The only reason why this is so is that we are not testing enough, period! Infact, compared to what Spain and Italy did at the fourth week we are not testing at all.

You are right we are not testing enough. But at week 4 even untested patients would have developed symptoms and reported to hospitals. We are yet to hear reported cases of covid 19 illness from any hospital nor has there been reported deaths of unusual number of people from mysterious illness.

There is just something interesting about the rate of transmission of the virus in Nigeria or even Africa; it doesn't seems to be as aggressive as reported in other continents.

Just look at the number of people who tested positive after coming in contact with Abba Kyari; one would have expected hundreds.

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by bahaushe1: 9:43pm On Mar 27, 2020
iyaSegun84:
What a baseless statistics

Until we see details of their mathematical modeling it will be inappriopriate to call their estimate 'baseless'. They probably used data from Asian and European countries to develop a prediction for Nigeria/Lagos. Surprisingly, our rate of transmission so far doesn't seems to fit that of Asia and Europe.
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Vulcan24(m): 9:48pm On Mar 27, 2020
Broadenyourhori:

Science Student..... Your eye go soon clear

Everything with you is ignorance, is it carpenter that is treating a d researching on d spread

the led are fools, the leaders are foolish
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Charly68: 9:50pm On Mar 27, 2020
This man should stop this kind of prophecy oo! You have been doing a very good job but this your talk now is another hammer

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Vulcan24(m): 9:58pm On Mar 27, 2020
bahaushe1:

You are right we are not testing enough. But at week 4 even untested patients would have developed symptoms and reported to hospitals. We are yet to hear reported cases of covid 19 illness from any hospital nor has there been reported deaths of unusual number of people from mysterious illness.

There is just something interesting about the rate of transmission of the virus in Nigeria or even Africa; it doesn't seems to be as aggressive as reported in other continents.

Just look at the number of people who tested positive after coming in contact with Abba Kyari; one would have expected hundreds.

The current research has their hands full of samples from Europe and the Americas, what they are not doing and telling us is" is the virus virulent in all weather? since it's symptoms are flu like and flu is a cold region disease, does it mean it's transmission and potency drops with higher temperature?

moreso, the majority of the death cases are elderly and persons with asthma and underlying mostly respiratory diseases.

does it mean I can carry the virus and with good health condition not be symptomatic and eventually fought off?

already scientist in UK are noting asthma aids the mortality rate and younger men with healthy lifestyle are discharged and discouraged from visiting hospitals but treated with paracetamol.

I think Africans would be coerced into panicking by their overaged leaders with series of health problems into lockdown and unnecessary information and tactics.

I take good cue from Trump who's already considering zoning based on test samples and demography.

for ppl who wanto start argument ....I get all my info from BBC not Instagram or Twitter

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Afam4eva(m): 9:58pm On Mar 27, 2020
Seun:
I’m quite confident that the extreme heat has helped us. I don't think any virus can survive for long on any surface exposed to our roasting sunlight. But we are going into the rainy season, when most days will be cool and cloudy, so let’s get our act together ASAP.
Most cases so far are from people who came into the country either from the UK or US which supports your point about the heat, even though i believe the cases in Nigeria are understated. The heat has made sure that we're not all infected because if we had a cold climate, it would have spread more easily than anywhere else.
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by ogododo: 10:20pm On Mar 27, 2020
Make this thing no reach Warri oo
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by luluman: 10:23pm On Mar 27, 2020
Semperty:
Damn. Na to japa go Mars mean am o embarassed
This is not about jokes.
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Montlab25: 10:23pm On Mar 27, 2020
Garrieveryday:
As expected. The incompetence of this government is zero to none.

Must we always blame the government? Did Americans blame Trump for the high rate in the US? By your logic, it means Spain and Italy too have incompetent leaders.
Let's all do our part to slow down the spread instead of shouting government Everytime.

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Annivers(m): 10:32pm On Mar 27, 2020
XANDERBOY85:

That’s how it would spread more widely!

Oga I tell you say I get corvik 1,9?

I beg you in the name of God, no think evil reach my side.

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by FuckAllTheMODs: 10:37pm On Mar 27, 2020
Annivers:

Oga I tell you say I get corvik 1,9?

I beg you in the name of God, no think evil reach my side.

LoL, you don vex?

Pity the guy abeg.
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by edward1106(m): 10:52pm On Mar 27, 2020
Tpharell:

I beg to differ completely here. The only reason why this is so is that we are not testing enough, period! Infact, compared to what Spain and Italy did at the fourth week we are not testing at all.

Can they just go out and be testing random people?

It's only people who come forward with symptoms or those who must have had contact with those infected, or those who traveled overseas and those that are being tracked that could be tested.

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Fidelismaria: 11:21pm On Mar 27, 2020
Close that damn state now

Lagos,abuja and the states with active cases should be locked down nooooooooooowwww
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Dorebi(m): 11:25pm On Mar 27, 2020
Sir,it shall not get there!!!

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by chosenwan1(m): 11:36pm On Mar 27, 2020
Don't mind them, this mumu man
Tpharell:

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by lagdmark(m): 11:40pm On Mar 27, 2020
Semperty:
Damn. Na to japa go Mars mean am o embarassed
Na New York straight away, free visa
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Nobody: 12:01am On Mar 28, 2020
lagdmark:

Na New York straight away, free visa
New York wey be playground of coronavirus? shocked
No be me and you bros, go alone.
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by bahaushe1: 12:13am On Mar 28, 2020
Vulcan24:

The current research has their hands full of samples from Europe and the Americas, what they are not doing and telling us is" is the virus virulent in all weather? since it's symptoms are flu like and flu is a cold region disease, does it mean it's transmission and potency drops with higher temperature?

moreso, the majority of the death cases are elderly and persons with asthma and underlying mostly respiratory diseases.

does it mean I can carry the virus and with good health condition not be symptomatic and eventually fought off?

already scientist in UK are noting asthma aids the mortality rate and younger men with healthy lifestyle are discharged and discouraged from visiting hospitals but treated with paracetamol.

I think Africans would be coerced into panicking by their overaged leaders with series of health problems into lockdown and unnecessary information and tactics.

I take good cue from Trump who's already considering zoning based on test samples and demography.

for ppl who wanto start argument ....I get all my info from BBC not Instagram or Twitter

Excellent analysis!

It is true most of the data on covid 19 is coming from Asia, Europe, and Americas. There is virtually nothing from Africa. The onus is on our researchers to start looking at our data.

Weather could be one of the factors influencing the rate of transmission of the virus. It remain to be proven scientifically.

In general, I think there could be genetic, environmental, social, and other factors in play.

Our high exposure to chloroquine being in malaria endemic zone; our low prevalence of elderly population; our low prevalence of non-communicable diseases; our low rate of international flights, could all be factors worth exploring if the transmission curve continue to be flat in the coming weeks.

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by jaxxy(m): 12:13am On Mar 28, 2020
NextD18:
It's very risky to live in an overpopulated area.

Highly risky!

They need to tell or give us the concentration map in Lagos so people know which areas the spread is more likely and active
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Tpharell: 12:15am On Mar 28, 2020
Angelfrost:

Dear Sis, leave your doomsayers alone... They think they are being overtly smart!!!... Under normal circumstances, at the normal rate of viral spread and symptoms manifestation, most states should have not less than 500 hospitalized cases, and Lagos shouldn't have anything less than 4000 dying at the very grim least.

When we state these clear facts, they call us overtly optimistic... But, this is a reality that even the dense leaders are well aware of.
No my friend, you are not overly optimistic at all, but wanting in understanding of the key issues of arithmetic and geometric progression. You missed out on the exponential growth phase of the infection where it doubles every few days. This geometric progression in infection rate is responsible for the blood bath currently being witnessed in Italy and Spain. Nigeria's infection rate is still at arithmetic progression (according to the anecdotal NCDC figures) which is the preliminary. The below chart should provide some context.
[img][/img]https://www.patentlyapple.com/.a/6a0120a5580826970c0240a515a116200b-800wi

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Coolgent(m): 12:27am On Mar 28, 2020
Its expected cos u want to siphon more billions
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by PropertyBuying(f): 1:09am On Mar 28, 2020
Dorebi:
Sir,it shall not get there!!!
[color=#000099][b]May God save us all in Nigeria and particularly in Lagos
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by Tpharell: 1:14am On Mar 28, 2020
edward1106:

Can they just go out and be testing random people?

It's only people who come forward with symptoms or those who must have had contact with those infected, or those who traveled overseas and those that are being tracked that could be tested.
We can build up our testing capacity and even set up drive-through testing centers like we’ve seen those ahead of us do, but no. I have followed the governments response to the pandemic and there is no such consideration. We are actually waiting for another Jack Ma to donate testing kits to us.
Looking at the few success recorded in the fight against this scourge from a global perspective, massive testing has been key, and not only those who present or have been contacts.
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by juman(m): 1:27am On Mar 28, 2020
There is fear about corona everywhere in the world.
The news of peoples death is everywhere and are so many death daily.
One consider anyone seen or even himself dead .
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by juman(m): 1:28am On Mar 28, 2020
I believe the government would do well on corona.

1 Like

Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by lexy2014: 1:40am On Mar 28, 2020
Obrigardo:
Even the doctor is confused holding a microphone to his mouth while he's practically speaking to a bevy of larger mics. God will help us

D mic he is holding is plugges to an amp& speakers which amplifies what he is saying for d audience listening to him. D other mics are for d news stations present at d briefing. Their mics aren't connected to amps& speakers at d venue. They are connected to d stations recording devices in order to capture d commissioners voice while drowning out d ambience
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by lexy2014: 1:44am On Mar 28, 2020
Fidelismaria:
Close that damn state now

Lagos,abuja and the states with active cases should be locked down nooooooooooowwww

But leave d airports wide open
Re: Akin Abayomi: Lagos Coronavirus Cases May Rise To 39,000 by kinzd(m): 1:46am On Mar 28, 2020
Were is that saworrrr nigga abeg come and dawn dix rhymes
GlobalWay:
Best line I read from a Nairalander: "Most people think say nah play.... I pray make eh end like play before we turn to Prey!!!"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between The White Vitamin C Tablets And The Orange Ones? / Chikwe Ihekweazu: I Don't Wear Face-Masks Because No Policy On That Yet / COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.