Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,439 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus (25257 Views)

2023 Presidency: I Won’t Allow Anyone Deceive Me Again – Sam Ewang / Most Politicians In Nigeria Are Cultists – Sam Ewang / Sultan Of Sokoto: Hunger Virus Killing Nigerians More Than Coronavirus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by hisexcellency34: 7:54am On Apr 07, 2020
A former military adminis­trator of Ogun and Rivers states, Group Captain Sam Ewang (rtd), has bemoaned the lockdown imposed on Nigerians by the federal and state governments as part of measures to combat the spread of coronavirus pan­demic.

Speaking with Daily In­dependent at the weekend, Ewang, who said many poor citizens were not provided with the palliatives, said many Nigerians are dying of hunger than from the virus.

According to him, the sit­uation in the country is very unfortunate as the larger pop­ulation of Nigerians rely on daily and menial jobs to feed their families, which has been impossible due to the restric­tion of movements.

"I am very sorry to say this but the reality is that so many people are dying of hunger rather than the coro­navirus. We are still moving backwards with the way we do things. This calls for our politicians to begin to think again, to plan for Nigeria and not themselves.
"

“Even now, if this govern­ment had been a planning government, I cannot see why we are unable to do cer­tain things for the poor during this coronavirus pandemic.

“Even if we can’t do any­thing some other time for them, I think this is the best opportunity to show that we care for the poor. Wrong de­cisions are being taken all over the country. They just want to make noise so people cannot say they haven’t done anything. They are restricting movements yet people are dy­ing.

“You have labourers who go to sites on a daily basis and they feed their families with what they get from there. If they don’t go out, they can’t eat. I tell you that within this period, I have received visits from over 200 people but un­fortunately, there is little I can do since I am no longer in gov­ernment. It is very, very unfor­tunate,” Ewang said.

While commending La­gos State governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, and his team for measures taken so far to tack­le the disease, Ewang said the Federal Government should have planned ahead when the disease was ravaging other parts of the world before Ni­geria recorded her first case.

“It’s unfortunate. Normal­ly, I wouldn’t have loved to make any comment on the issues today because I don’t want to compare our nation with anybody. But I think the Federal Government is trying its best. The state gov­ernments are equally trying their best.

“I really appreciate Lagos State governor, Babajide San­wo-Olu. I very much appreci­ate him for his pre-emptive actions so far in tackling the coronavirus disease. I also want to thank those that are working with him.

“Otherwise, this thing came like a thunder entirely; even though I believe that we should have prepared for it be­cause it is a pandemic as it has come to be. We shouldn’t have waited but plan ahead but I still thank the government for the efforts made so far.

“The problem we have has to do with our population. The population we have is not such that you can lock the people in and bar them from coming out but unfortunately, the situation requires that.

I am also a politician too. We need to think about our people; people are dying not on account of the disease but hunger. Right now, there are some places that people are dying because of the disease, but we are not able to identify them. I will keep emphasis­ing it; people are dying but unfortunately, I am not in a position where I can help so much,” he said.

https://www.independent.ng/covid-19-nigerians-are-dying-of-hunger-says-ex-military-administrator/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by Iyiataata92: 8:06am On Apr 07, 2020
They have shared one bag of rice and one bag of beans to everybody and given everybody 20000 naira. So why distubibg them again.

Modified: to those quoting and abusing me, I'm only trying to tell the man what our leaders keep telling us. That everybody has been taken care of and nobody is hungry

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by NextD18: 8:08am On Apr 07, 2020
What have you done to help the ones in your community or area?

Always spilling jargons like they care.

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by Nobody: 8:10am On Apr 07, 2020
Thanks everyone

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by Ogilinsaka: 8:13am On Apr 07, 2020
They've been dying of hunger since. COVID-19 is just to add salt to injury or from frying pan to fire!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 07, 2020
Tell them oo
Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by Zooposki(f): 8:55am On Apr 07, 2020
They should go back to the villages and grow their food, instead of allowing hunger to kill them. Must every Tom, Dick and Harry move to the cities and constitute a nuisance.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by smokeyupu(m): 9:24am On Apr 07, 2020
Truth!

1 Like

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by Hamilton1(m): 9:24am On Apr 07, 2020
Afonjas is diein nt Nigerians

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by InspireWealthB: 9:24am On Apr 07, 2020
To keep stating the facts without taking the necessary steps to address them, is a waste of time.

Yes Nigerians are dying of hunger, we all know that. The big question is, what are you doing about it?

Being a politician, how are you walking towards changing that? By just talking and talking?

It's time for all the Nigerian leaders to realise that a nation without her citizens, is nothing but a Farmland!

If we all fall to the hunger virus, soon there will be no people to govern. Let's move beyond just acknowledging the obvious to taking proactive measures that will bring about solutions.

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria!

Meanwhile if you own a blog/website, I can give you high quality original articles that are search engines optimized. Articles that are free of grammatical and typographical errors. Plagiarism-free and timely delivery.

Message me on Whatsapp now.

4 Likes

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by Richdad50(m): 9:24am On Apr 07, 2020
shocked

A former military Administrator. No credibility. These where men who brought us to where we are today, a colossal failure.

From Gowon, Buhari, IBB, Abacha, to Buhari again. Nigerians must have sense by force.

Richdad

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by Orion01(m): 9:24am On Apr 07, 2020
Abeg enough of all these...corona virus, hunger virus, hanta virus, 5g radiation, asteroid...blah blah blah. Even states wey no dey on lockdown dey complain of hunger. People wey no dey like cook but prefer to eat mama put dey complain of hunger.
Lockdown never reach two weeks, people don dey die. How those wey dey go Libya take dey survive?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by shugaboy6102(m): 9:24am On Apr 07, 2020
Seconded. Are we in a civil war for crying out loud. Just one more week and you will see all forms of vices because the hunger is getting serious

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by Daniel058(m): 9:24am On Apr 07, 2020
Most peoples in the village are more comfortable than people living in the city now kiss

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by SultanOfAbia: 9:24am On Apr 07, 2020
Vee

1 Like

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by Hamilton1(m): 9:25am On Apr 07, 2020
Afonjas ar de onces de hungry is affecting, we de Igbos ar Rich�� we dnt feel hungry

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by ThierryJay: 9:25am On Apr 07, 2020
Chinweoa:
Good morning all. Can anyone spear me 2000 I will be very grateful thanks. Let someone not die of hunger. Please God bless.
Zenith bank

You prefer to die of spear than of hunger??

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by castrol180(m): 9:25am On Apr 07, 2020
all these leaders don't have the interests of the masses...God will surely judge them

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by momodub: 9:25am On Apr 07, 2020
Na wah
Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by dipopooo(m): 9:25am On Apr 07, 2020
Our governments are just wasting their time on the lockdown especially in Lagos state. Come to Asolo/Isawo, Ikorodu nothing like lockdown and social distancing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by Hamilton1(m): 9:25am On Apr 07, 2020
Its only Afonjas dat can die of hunger in dis Corona, we de Igbos ar Rich
Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by infini771: 9:26am On Apr 07, 2020
Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by Lawalemi(m): 9:26am On Apr 07, 2020
Where is he coming from and where has he been?

Sam Ewang of those days in Ogun State

2 Likes

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by Zchi1052(m): 9:26am On Apr 07, 2020
There's hunger in the land no be lie

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by BABANGBALI: 9:26am On Apr 07, 2020
Chinweoa:
Good morning all. Can anyone spear me 2000 I will be very grateful thanks. Let someone not die of hunger. Please God bless.
Zenith bank
chei lockdown don spoil market o. I can't spear you but I can arrow you grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by Robisky001(m): 9:26am On Apr 07, 2020
The pangs of hunger is worse than the Corona virus itself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by seguno2: 9:26am On Apr 07, 2020
NextD18:
What have you done to help the ones in your community or area?
Always spilling jargons like they care.

Was he not part of the looting that wrecked our country when he was in government as a military coupist

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by ignis: 9:26am On Apr 07, 2020
Hunger virus is worse than Coronavirus.

Hunger is real but Corona is apparent.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by rattlesnake(m): 9:27am On Apr 07, 2020
hmm
Re: Sam Ewang: More Nigerians Are Dying Of Hunger Than Coronavirus by Nobody: 9:27am On Apr 07, 2020
I pray I don't die here oooo.. They should let commercial bus move in Lagos abeg

Congratz Abu

Guys, Pls how can I get to ikorodu from abule egba... No money oooo and I gat to reach one person for ikorodu for an hustle so as to get some cash.

Atleast hustling wunt bring shame unlike begging.

Anyway I can reach ikorodu in this lockdown pls??

Pls any help pls. Begging is really shameful on nairaland especially at this desperate time

How CAn i reach ikorodu n come back without any problem

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Congratulates Kaycee Madu On His Appointment As Minister In Canada / Lifestyle Audit: Nigerians Flaunting Lifestyles They Can’t Afford To Be Probed / US Drones Spy On Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.