Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,318 members, 7,853,473 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 05:20 PM

Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction (1748 Views)

710 Nigerians Killed By Fulani Herdsmen In 10 Months —igbo Youth Movement / Ohaneze Ndi-Igbo Youth Movement Backs Saraki - (photo) / Nairalander Eye Account Of Jos Bombing. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by Olaedo1: 10:21pm On Jan 03, 2011
asha 80:

well most often than not

So money is more important than their lives?!That's sad.Should igbos in the east even mind them when they get massacred then?
Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by asha80(m): 10:25pm On Jan 03, 2011
Ola edo:

So money is more important than their lives?!That's sad.Should igbos in the east even mind them when they get massacred then?

when you travel to the north to do something and you get caught up the any mayhem ask this question again.
Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by Jenifa1: 10:30pm On Jan 03, 2011
eku_bear:

I read that book myself on Google books less than 3 months ago. The creation of the Hausa district in Ibadan was fully supported (and in fact instigated by!) the Hausa community there.

If you read the book thoroughly, you will find the yorubas instigated and most likely started it. hausas were accused of being troublesome burglars.  its on page 104.
on page 106, it talks about how yoruba landowners extracted very high rents on hausas and placed high fees on their trade. it also talked about how the decision for the Hausas to be "confined to a settlement" was taken. Hausas who traded outside of these confines were fined!! it's all on page 106. The yoruba arguement was that hausas were thieves and burglars.
Of course the Hausas also claimed that the settlement creation was their idea. it benefitted them also because it limits yoruba harrassments. and it was nice for them to be their own masters in their own settlements.
Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by Sonofpeace(m): 10:32pm On Jan 03, 2011
Ola edo:

In other words,those zombies are staying there because of money.
You must be a zombie to reason this way
Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by olabukola: 10:34pm On Jan 03, 2011
Jenifa_:

If you read the book thoroughly, you will find the yorubas instigated and most likely started it. hausas were accused of being troublesome burglars. its on page 104.
on page 106, it talks about how yoruba landowners extracted very high rents on hausas and placed high fees on their trade. it also talked about how the decision for the Hausas to be "confined to a settlement" was taken. Hausas who traded outside of these confines were fined!! it's all on page 106. The yoruba arguement was that hausas were thieves and burglars.
Of course the Hausas also claimed that the settlement creation was their idea. it benefitted them also because it limits yoruba harrassments. and it was nice for them to be their own masters in their own settlements.
I thought the bolded were Ibos and Edo/Delta peeps.
Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by ekubear1: 10:38pm On Jan 03, 2011
Jenifa_:

If you read the book thoroughly, you will find the yorubas instigated and most likely started it. hausas were accused of being troublesome burglars.  its on page 104.

You are wrong. Read pages 106-109. See who caused the Hausa crime wave in order to get a Hausa settlement and limit the entry of Yoruba into the cattle business.

For anyone else interested, here is a link to the book:
http://books.google.com/books?id=orO0DRiPvGMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Customs+and+politics+in+urban+Africa:+A+study+of+Hausa+migrants+in+Yoruba&source=bl&ots=eKVT22Vm36&sig=sVw79rilM9AYjvXXUeCg5b8JtCM&hl=en&ei=wUAiTc3jL4O8lQfZxZnMCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false
Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by Jenifa1: 10:58pm On Jan 03, 2011
eku_bear:

You are wrong. Read pages 106-109. See who caused the Hausa crime wave in order to get a Hausa settlement and limit the entry of Yoruba into the cattle business.

I really don't know what your point is. what do you mean by "who caused the crime wave"?  pls tell us who "caused" it. 
The fact of the matter is that the hausas were harrased in the yoruba town. Even if they had asked for their settlement, it was because they were trying to get away from these harrasments. Another of their mechanisms is to increase their religious participation and cultural solidarity in order to emphasize the difference between them and yorubas. This is true for many immigrant settlements around the world especially when the settlers are being harassed. They develop a mechanism against it such as taking refuge in their culture and becoming more cultural and resisting assimilation to separate themselves.

the idea that the crime wave was to get a settlement and limit entry into cattle business is solely your own theory. this is not supported by the book at all.  how does petty burglary limit yoruba entry into cattle business? The hausas didn't have to do anything to limit yoruba entry into cattle business. The cattles were coming from the north and hausas were the natural middlemen. There was absolutely no competition there!!
Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by Jenifa1: 11:05pm On Jan 03, 2011
olabukola:

I thought the bolded were Ibos and Edo/Delta peeps.

that's interesting. what years and states?
Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by Olaedo1: 11:06pm On Jan 03, 2011
Jenifa_:

I really don't know what your point is. what do you mean by "who caused the crime wave"?  pls tell us who "caused" it. 
The fact of the matter is that the hausas were harrased in the yoruba town. Even if they had asked for their settlement, it was because they were trying to get away from these harrasments. Another of their mechanisms is to increase their religious participation to increase solidarity and emphasize the difference between them and yorubas. This is true for many immigrant settlements around the world especially when the settlers are being harassed. They develop a mechanism against it such as taking refuge in their culture and becoming more cultural and resisting assimilation to separate themselves.

the idea that the crime wave was to get a settlement and limit entry into cattle business is solely your own theory. this is not supported by the book at all.  how does petty burglary limit yoruba entry into cattle business? The hausas didn't have to do anything to limit yoruba entry into cattle business. The cattles were coming from the north and hausas were the natural middlemen. There was absolutely no competition there!!

From what i read, the yorubas along with the british put the Hausa into a settlement. Before the settlement the hausa were being usfairly treated and ripped off by the yorubas from the beginning.However, the hausa also brought prostitution and other criminal acts with them as time went on. The hausas limited no one into the cattle business.
Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by Jenifa1: 11:18pm On Jan 03, 2011
Ola edo:

From what i read, the yorubas along with the british put the Hausa into a settlement. Before the settlement the hausa were being usfairly treated and ripped off by the yorubas from the beginning.However, the hausa also brought prostitution and other criminal acts with them as time went on. The hausas limited no one into the cattle business.

yup that's what I read too.

i wonder what eku-bear is reading tongue the way he's developing his own twists and theories.
Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by omongbatic: 11:58pm On Jan 03, 2011
Jenifer:

The links below are for you and your ignorant claims. Perhaps you can gain some enlightenment after reading them that hausas/fulani live in the EAST and that not just Igbos, but any christian (both Northern and Southern) are killed in the North by muslims. Ask any Igbo person you know what  ama awusa and [b]gariki [/b]mean in Igboland. Fulani cattle rearers are all over the remote villages in Igboland. Most (99.9%) of security men in well-to-do private homes and large markets in Igboland are northerners. Just go to Onitsha and Ariaria markets to see.

1. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-270768.0.html
2. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-389287.0.html
3. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-202086.0.html
4. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-261899.0.html
5. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-385636.0.html
6. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-451709.0.html
7. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-46741.0.html
8. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-202599.0.html
9. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-202071.0.html
10. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-401332.0.html
11. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-405771.0.html
Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by Jenifa1: 12:46am On Jan 04, 2011
^go back and read my posts well. not the first post but the subsequent ones.
you didn't have to go compiling threads. that's wasted time and effort on your part because I won't be clicking on any of them.
Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by omongbatic: 12:58am On Jan 04, 2011
Jenifa_:

^go back and read my posts well. not the first post but the subsequent ones.
you didn't have to go compiling threads. that's wasted time and effort on your part because I won't be clicking on any of them.

Then stop exhibiting crass ignorance. It pays you not to misinform the unwary, although I believe you are the only ignorant one on this matter. People like me are here to put misinformers in their place.
Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by ekubear1: 1:08am On Jan 04, 2011
@Jenifa_ and @Ola edo: My reading is quite different. The Yoruba there charged a lot in rent, Hausa didn't want to pay it anymore, worked to achieve their own settlement, used a crime wave to achieve this.

If my interpretation is different from yours, so be it. We can agree to disagree.
Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by Olaedo1: 1:19am On Jan 04, 2011
eku_bear:

@Jenifa_ and @Ola edo: My reading is quite different. The Yoruba there charged a lot in rent, Hausa didn't want to pay it anymore, worked to achieve their own settlement, used a crime wave to achieve this.

If my interpretation is different from yours, so be it. We can agree to disagree.

You should take Stephen Speilberg's job. We don't have to agree to disagree brother.You've posted the pages already, so the facts are there. Where did it say that they worked to achieve their own settlement though? Also, it didn't say the yorubas charged a lot of rent and the hausas couldn't pay it so,  What it said was the yorubas charged THEM(the hausas) a lot of rent and kept increasing it, ripping them off.

It(the settlement) was more like a be careful what you wish for thing.
Re: Jos Bombing: Igbo Youth Movement Decries Govt Inaction by Jenifa1: 2:06am On Jan 04, 2011
omongbatic:

Then stop exhibiting crass ignorance. It pays you not to misinform the unwary, although I believe you are the only ignorant one on this matter. People like me are here to put misinformers in their place.

says the guy with username: "omongbatic"

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Will Not Progress In The Next 50 Years / The Opulent Life Of Diezani Allison-madueke & Family / Exposing The Myth That Africa Is Backward Solely Because Of Black People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.