Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,899 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . (6944 Views)

Ekiti Govt Begins Work At Airport Site / Privatisation Of PHCN A Fraud, Electricity Workers Tell Buhari / Xenophobia: Malawi Begins Closure Of S'african Businesses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by koruji(m): 2:42am On Jan 05, 2011
Wednesday, 05 January 2011 00:00 From Emeka Anuforo, Abuja News - National .User Rating: / 0

DESPITE protest by labour on the planned privatisation of the electricity sector, government is unrelenting in its reform agenda. In fact, government said yesterday that the reform was fully on course and had become irreversible.

Latest revelations from the Presidency indicate that government has actually commenced the winding up of the central headquarters of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) in Maitama, Abuja.

According to details made available by the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on Power, the headquarters’ workers have started moving out either to the Ministry of Power or to successor companies, while the functions of PHCN are being transferred to individual successor companies.

The eventual winding-up is, however, expected to be a legal or court-ordered formality, occurring when ongoing workers movements and transfer of assets and liabilities are concluded, before the end of April.

A report detailing measures to remove obstacles to private sector investment in Nigeria’s power sector was released yesterday by the PTF on Power and contains major decisions to be taken in this regard.

The report stated that the Power Grid of India, ESB International of Ireland and Manitoba Hydro of Canada have been invited to submit technical and financial proposals for the management contract of the Transmission Company of Nigeria.

A transaction adviser, CPSC Transcom, was appointed in December 2010 to assist the Bureau of Public Enterprises in undertaking the divestiture transactions. Details of the report signed by the Chairman, Communications Committee of the PTF on Power, Mr. Abimbola Agboluaje, also indicate that new tariffs for electricity will be announced by April 2011.

The Nigerian Electricity Liability Management Company (NELMCO) was also established in September 2010 to assume the liabilities of the PHCN successor companies, “thus neutralising operational and financial risks of investors and new managers of the companies such as the settlement of arrears of salaries, pensions and other benefits of current sector workers.”

On measures so far taken to end government’s monopoly and attract private investors, the PTF on Power recalled that adverts inviting companies to submit expressions of interest in taking up 51 per cent stake of the six generation and 11 distribution PHCN successor companies had been published in the media.

Agboluaje noted that interested companies were to submit expressions of interest by February 18, 2011, while short-listed companies would be invited to submit bids for the successor companies early in the second quarter of the year.

Winning bidders are to take over management of the companies by the end of second quarter of 2011.
Part of the report read: “The Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading Plc (NBET) was incorporated in July 2010 to address the concern of investors in the generation sector about the credit worthiness of the distribution companies; the NBET will purchase electricity on behalf of the distribution companies until they establish a track record of paying for the power they deliver to consumers by efficiently metering electricity consumers and collecting bills. A World Bank Partial Risk Guarantee and a Federal Ministry of Finance Risk Guarantee to compensate against political and other risks and further give confidence to investors are being finalised.

The risk guarantees will also cover contracts to supply gas to power plants. Already, NBET has commenced negotiations with Nigerian Independent Power Plants to contract new generation capacity for the country, backed by these guarantees.”

On the contentious labour issues, it continued: “Arrears of monetisation benefits worth N57 billion has been paid to PHCN workers. The government also secured an additional N143 billion naira from the National Assembly as part of the supplementary budget of 2010 to compensate current PHCN workers for the severance of their current employment contracts with the government.

“A labour committee chaired by the Minister of Labour, Mr. Chukwuemeka Wogu, has been also established by the Presidential Action Committee on Power (PACP) to ensure that government honours all obligations to current PHCN workers. The Nigerian Electricity Liability Management Company (NELMCO) will be legally obliged to settle any outstanding liabilities after the PHCN successor companies come under the management of new private sector investors. It is worth noting that Investors cannot afford to bring in expatriate staff to replace Nigerians who best understand the system; they will rely on the technical experts currently engaged in the sector to run the companies.”
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=34528:govt-begins-closure-of-phcn-transfers-workers-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by Ganjafama(m): 5:52am On Jan 05, 2011
If this will improve the power situation of the country then, am for it.
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by shevchenko(m): 5:58am On Jan 05, 2011
Nigeria govt and drama.They make the electricity issue look like a huge project.why don't they invite the power company of benin,togo ,sierraleone and ghana?failed govt
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by Jakumo(m): 6:14am On Jan 05, 2011
Go Johnny Go
Johnny B. Goodluck

Nigeria's entire electrical power utility company's bloated workforce  has existed for the sole purpose of DEPRIVING the country of electrical power, given that those loathsome criminals have been PAID to carry out that systematic sabotage, on behalf of a pathologically greedy assemblage of fat phucks who profiteer from the import of diesel and gasoline-fueled home generators for sale to a captive audience of 120 million people forced to live in darkness for the past quarter century.

If the idea of lining up those redundant electrical power utility workers against the wall to be machinegunned is considered wasteful of ammunition, those despicable parasites should at least be forced to hand-weed the center divider of Nigerian highways around the clock and in all weather conditions, until such time as they are smeared across the tarmac by passing trucks.  Good phucking riddance to Nigeria's most damaging malignancy.

Johnny B. Goodluck,   You is da MAN !
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by DoubleN(m): 2:18pm On Jan 05, 2011
Jakumo:

Go Johnny Go
Johnny B. Goodluck

Nigeria's entire electrical power utility company's bloated workforce  has existed for the sole purpose of DEPRIVING the country of electrical power, given that those loathsome criminals have been PAID to carry out that systematic sabotage, on behalf of a pathologically greedy assemblage of fat phucks who profiteer from the import of diesel and gasoline-fueled home generators for sale to a captive audience of 120 million people forced to live in darkness for the past quarter century.

If the idea of lining up those redundant electrical power utility workers against the wall to be machinegunned is considered wasteful of ammunition, those despicable parasites should at least be forced to hand-weed the center divider of Nigerian highways around the clock and in all weather conditions, until such time as they are smeared across the tarmac by passing trucks.  Good phucking riddance to Nigeria's most damaging malignancy.

Johnny B. Goodluck,   You is da MAN !
shocked shocked
Guy you harsh o! PHCN Man still ya girlfriend?
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by alldone(m): 2:23pm On Jan 05, 2011
if you are trying to do anything good, it must definately affect some people so it is ok.
afterall it is the same set of workers that contributed immensely to the bad energy system.
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by Pukkah: 2:24pm On Jan 05, 2011
Jakumo:

Good phucking riddance to Nigeria's most damaging malignancy.

I guess they are next only to the Nigeria Police in terms of the sheer havoc they have wreaked on this hapless country. I say this because the Police are constitutionally empowered and positioned to arrest, literally and figuratively, all manners of reported/suspected acts of corruption and larceny that happen in all institutions; PHCN inclusive.

The Police have become a major clog in the wheel of Nigeria's slow progress and to make matters worse, are no longer ashamed or bothered about their crass incompetence and steep corruption. Indeed, what a damaging malignancy!
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by audio: 2:29pm On Jan 05, 2011
The privatization of energy supply should have been done decades ago. A private supplier will be operating purely for profit and you can't make any profit, if there is no supply, so they have to ensure that there is constant billable electricity being generated.

However, that is only half of the problem. Vandalization of equipment should be made an offense with a harsh custodial sentence to act as a deterrent + all new buildings should obtain planning permission, to ensure that they can actually adequately obtain power off the current network and not just pay someone to illegally draw power.

This is however, an important 1st step. That's if they don't screw it up and chop all the money like they normally do.
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by axeman85(m): 2:38pm On Jan 05, 2011
Good move if it will make the power sector better. BUT i hope peoplen like me who have scores to settle with phcn can still do so.
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by Phate07(m): 2:58pm On Jan 05, 2011

But who cares? The co
mmon man in the streets? I doubt. undecided angry
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by Meldrick(m): 3:00pm On Jan 05, 2011
Have you ever been close to a NEPA STAFF? They live like people working in SHELL or CHEVRON. I doubt if the Nigerian Police is as corrupt as NEPA. Good move from President Jonathan.
I guess ATIKU would have also made the same move but for selfish interest. He sure would have bought it as his company like he was doing when he had the opportunity to chair BPE.
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by SkyBlue1: 3:19pm On Jan 05, 2011
Finally, what previous governments have been promising forever now seems on course.
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jan 05, 2011
the pace is slow though power has improved in my area since the xmas holiday.
carry go GEJ,gradually u will disarm all of them rogues holding us
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by HamidO1(m): 3:23pm On Jan 05, 2011
If that will translate to more MW of electricity then government can even close down all the area offices too.
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jan 05, 2011
kai
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by lwise(m): 3:30pm On Jan 05, 2011
I CONCUR
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 05, 2011
Why all this talk-talk, please sell the fucking PHCN. For the past one month the 5hrs supply to my place has been a candle light!
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by Donmeca(m): 3:39pm On Jan 05, 2011
NEC/NEPA/PHCN has held this nation by the scrotal sac for as long as my dad can recall. They resort to sabotage each time the govt wants to carry out any meaningful plan towards steady power supply.

They have even used strike to send us signals of their omnipotence. . . this is unacceptable to say the least. I support, wholeheartedly any overhaul that will guarantee my putting on  light switch to find bulb smiling without the ever-irritating sound of a gen set. My problem with government policies is in the full implementation. . .who is shall carry it out to fruition?

I am afraid that element even within this same would be the ones to scuttle this noble initiative by their own govt. Imagine that the only hole Dimeji Bankole picked in the JEG Roadmap to Power was that the president did not make provision for the  flourishing "billion dollar" generator business. He is more concerned about the welfare of the "cabal" raping the country's power sector than for the welfare of the vast majority of d citizenry. . .shallow-mindedness!
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by benchwest: 3:46pm On Jan 05, 2011
let them privatise it, thats the only solution to improve electricity in nigeria,i endorse this iniciative.
but the govt must enforce a policy that must protects the consumers.

and we nigerias must know when to clap our hands for govt when they perform to encourage them than to sit and caste every govt policies.
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by holydante(m): 3:58pm On Jan 05, 2011
aguiyi:

i actually did my IT with them in akenzua service centre benin,i wished the it never ended,milking people everyday in the name of meter adjustment,reconnection fee for a light not disconected,seizing peoples fuse for not paying their bills and making funny promises to others intead of sharing light bills and going my way which was my real assignment
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked, you try ooo, come bank your money in my bank for safe keeping wink

men those guys are disgusting, for 4 years, my vicinity begged, pleaded, wrote and tipped its way through before we got a transformer last year, now our nepa bills have shot up, i got billed N10k plus for November ending.

I have reverted to my gen and inverter

Pls lets root out inefficiency
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by Donmeca(m): 4:03pm On Jan 05, 2011
On measures so far taken to end government’s monopoly and attract private investors, the PTF on Power recalled that adverts inviting companies to submit expressions of interest in taking up 51 per cent stake of the six generation and 11 distribution PHCN successor companies had been published in the media.

Agboluaje noted that interested companies were to submit expressions of interest by February 18, 2011, while short-listed companies would be invited to submit bids for the successor companies early in the second quarter of the year.

Winning bidders are to take over management of the companies by the end of second quarter of 2011.

I really hope the winning bidders will be the best and most qualified bidders not the most corrupt bidders. Let them not give us the kind of selection that saw CCC and Dantata & Sawoe waste years spending our billions of Naira fooling us while claiming they are constructing our roads. Other companies can do better a work in less time! Or the kind of selection that encouraged Julius Berger to add an extra 2 billion naira in the cost of expanding Abuja runway due to "mathematical error".

Oops! as I was typing PHCN struck. . .my light went off. Have they started the closure already? or is this d normal bad-belle PHCN?
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by kaboninc(m): 4:07pm On Jan 05, 2011
shevchenko:

Nigeria govt and drama.They make the electricity issue look like a huge project.why don't they invite the power company of benin,togo ,sierraleone and ghana?failed govt
Hope u know the meaning of a failed state. Dont just use expressions which u dont know its meaning.
Phate07:

But who cares? The co
mmon man in the streets? I doubt. undecided angry

Do a quick research and find out what the common man on the street really need if not electricity!
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by NAJALYN: 4:09pm On Jan 05, 2011
This is a step in the right direction. Am for anything that will guarantee Nigerians stable & constant power supply. Ghana, a small country enjoys regular power supply. We the giant of Africa should have put our house in order long before now so all will acknowledge that we are actually the giant of Africa. Thanks to the Federal Government for trying to actualise our dream of regular power supply.
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by NAJALYN: 4:10pm On Jan 05, 2011
This is a step in the right direction. Am for anything that will guarantee Nigerians stable & constant power supply. Ghana, a small country enjoys regular power supply. We the giant of Africa should have put our house in order long before now so all will acknowledge that we are actually the giant of Africa. Thanks to the Federal Government for trying to actualise our dream of regular power supply.
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jan 05, 2011
holydante:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked, you try ooo, come bank your money in my bank for safe keeping wink

men those guys are disgusting, for 4 years, my vicinity begged, pleaded, wrote and tipped its way through before we got a transformer last year, now our nepa bills have shot up, i got billed N10k plus for November ending.

I have reverted to my gen and inverter

Pls lets root out inefficiency
cry cry cry
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 05, 2011
@ op, its PHCN not PHNC tongue tongue tongue, abeg change the title for index page b4 u fall hand finish
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by Osocan(m): 4:50pm On Jan 05, 2011
I like as dem sell am,tins mit be rough'injected @ 1st,but with time every thing will normalise,a good example is our tele-communication company nitel,now our call tariffs is getting cheaper and better. With time so our light become .
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by Holla2: 5:16pm On Jan 05, 2011
How good this decision is really depends on the outcome. Lets hope this would be the pathway to solving Nigeria's #1 infrastructural challenge. It'll be such a delight
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by Rotime1(m): 5:24pm On Jan 05, 2011
may the lord make it a good success! power stability is just the beginning of a national development. however, i hope no nigerian hand will be there o! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by eherbal(m): 5:30pm On Jan 05, 2011
Good initiative,but i advice they disengage the whole staff whether they know the terrain or not.these are the same people who got the prestigious award for the most corrupt institution in 2006.retaining them will retard the success of the privatisation program.
Re: Govt Begins Closure Of Phcn, Transfers Workers . by eherbal(m): 5:41pm On Jan 05, 2011
Lest i forget,let's pray saboteurs don't have a field day frustrating these colossal effort,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wale Oladipo Writes Appeal Court President Over Ondo Election / Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu: Respondents Final Written Address / Electricity Tariff Will Reduce If Exchange Rate Reduces Below N1,000/$ - Adelabu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.