Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,933 members, 7,838,330 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu (12906 Views)

Tinubu Under Pressure To Float New Party - National Daily / SIWN may arrest tinubu over fraud / EFCC Has Been Ordered To Arrest Tinubu – APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by Kobojunkie: 8:09pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akainzo:

I have shown you twice, yet you can't see it. Go on and be an ostrich.
I am not Ostriching. I know what I posted and I know what you CLAIM I POSTED INSTEAD. Again, SHOW ME MY EXACT WORDS or accept you came up with that all on your own.

Akainzo:

I don't know how hard it is to understand what I wrote. BTW, did you read those threads you are pointing me to? I read them and posted for you what each thread talked about yet you are still pointing me to the same threads. Haba!
There is a difference between an investigation of the Halliburton case and an investigation of OBJ and his corrupt practices during his regime. Is that too hard to understand.
So, there is a difference between investigation into Obasanjo’s possible connection with the Halliburton case, especially after he was formally accused by the US of being involved, and an investigation into Obsanjo and his corrupt practices? WOW!!
Akainzo:

The $16B scandal relates to the power projects and it was an investigation by the House (NASS) and the report was to have been submitted to the EFCC, and as usual the report grew wings.
Again, so you claim there is a difference between the power related investigation which was conducted and used to clear Obasanjo of any crime, and an investigation into Obasanjo  to be used to clear him of subsequent/preceding  crimes?
Akainzo:

IBB has never being investigated! That I accuse you does not mean I am investigating you, how do you equate the two to be the same. I even jocularly put the Shagari bit there for you to see the futility of this line of argument.
Well, if you want to believe that an organization, say like the FBI, can just out of the blues accuse a person of a crime, without ever ever conducting investigations of any kind, even simply to LINK you to that crime, then, I say, GOODLUCK WITH THAT!

Akainzo:

Compare it to the Bode George case, the EFCC under Ribadu investigated, called him for questioning and then later declared him innocent. They came on air to say they have investigated and he had issues but nothing to charge him to court for.
I cannot compare it to Bode George case since not all investigations result in prosecuting or even arrests and jail time. Also note, the IBB, BUhari, Atiku investigations were conducted by the same Ribadu. So were the Patience, Ibori, Tinubu investigations as well.
We never really got the final on those probes, as they used to be fondly called back then, but there are records out there that they did happen, and I choose to stick to applying the legal meaning of the word as much as I can here.
Akainzo:

Tell me when did you read or hear that IBB was invited by EFCC to clear some things or that OBJ was invited to clear some things? At least if you investigate someone, you'd have to invite them for questioning to enbale them give their version of the stories. kiss
Honestly, I would really love to end at this point on this with you since it seems to be going nowhere. I mean I believe and know for a fact that these men have been investigated.  You may not, and that is fine. And OK! It's Saturday and I think I have gone around this circle too many times over with you already. Time to move on to other angles on this.
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by Akainzo(m): 8:28pm On Jan 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I am not Ostriching. I know what I posted and I know what you CLAIM I POSTED INSTEAD. Again, SHOW ME MY EXACT WORDS or accept you came up with that all on your own. 
I have finished with you on this as I have shown you TWO QUOTES from you already. Enuff said!

So, there is a difference between investigation into Obasanjo’s possible connection with the Halliburton case, especially after he was formally accused by the US of being involved, and an investigation into Obsanjo and his corrupt practices? WOW!!Again, so you claim there is a difference between the power related investigation which was conducted and used to clear Obasanjo of any crime, and an investigation into Obasanjo  to be used to clear him of subsequent/preceding  crimes?
I have said it clearly, the EFCC had never investigated OBJ. That is the crux of the matter not a House probe and not the Halliburton scandal, except of course you want to say the sum total of OBJ's corruption in his 8 years of rule is the Halliburton case. grin

Well, if you want to believe that an organization, say like the FBI, can just out of the blues accuse a person of a crime, without ever ever conducting investigations of any kind, even simply to LINK you to that crime, then, I say, GOODLUCK WITH THAT!
And the reason the FBI does not is simply because their society would not allow such, but the EFCC Chairman in Nigeria can go to the House and said they have found 32 governors corrupt without nay evidences and without giving names, and nothing happens. So quit that your ostrich stance as we were talking about Nigeria's EFCC.

I cannot compare it to Bode George case since not all investigations result in prosecuting or even arrests and jail time. Also note, the IBB, BUhari, Atiku investigations were conducted by the same Ribadu. So were the Patience, Ibori, Tinubu investigations as well.
We never really got the final on those probes, as they used to be fondly called back then, but there are records out there that they did happen, and I choose to stick to applying the legal meaning of the word as much as I can here. Honestly, I would really love to end at this point on this with you since it seems to be going nowhere. I mean I believe and know for a fact that these men have been investigated.  You may not, and that is fine. And OK! It's Saturday and I think I have gone around this circle too many times over with you already. Time to move on to other angles on this.

The difference is this, in the Patience case, EFCC stated exactly what the case was about her, the two incidences of money laundering.
On the Atiku case, the EFCC stated clearly was the investigation resulted in, that bogus administrative indictment about the PTDF.
The Ibori case, the EFCC stated clearly what the outcome was as well.
The Tinubu case, they stated what the outcome was as well.

Now tell me, where you heard anything about any outcome of a IBB or OBJ investigation? All you heard was we will, EFCC would soon, we shall and all sorts. That is what all your threads pointed to - intentions. And these sayings are not investigations just thoughts.

Sure you have gone round in circles so many times cos you've been trying to spin yarns.
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by Kobojunkie: 8:46pm On Jan 08, 2011
careytommy:

This kobogirl is just one inconsistent  character. One minute she says this, the next, she's singing another.

Please consult the dictionary to at least learn the meaning of the words you choose to use. That way you do not come off as yet another ridiculous thing on here.

If there is anything anyone can accuse me of on here, it is NOT INCONSISTENCY. I remain one of the most consistent when it comes to stance on political issues. My record is available for all those who can read and comprehend kindergarten level ENGLISH.

Next time, instead of rambling, how about you simply focus on making any meaningful point you may have to make?
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by Donmeca(m): 8:52pm On Jan 08, 2011
jason123:

That does not mean i do not know about the political terrain in Nigeria. I know he is a thief but he has delivered democracy in the SW against PDP. PLEASE, do not think i like the guy, infact, i think he was the one that killed FUNSHO WILLIAMS but we cannot start to cry over a spilled milk, can we?

So Jason, if the Williams family or FG wishes to investigate d murder of Funsho and Tinubu is found to be in d middle of it, wud u rather they wait till after elections to charge him to court? This is justice we are talking abt here. . .we all will want immunity clause removed but wen our ex-governors are touched, we cry "political castration", how then can we touch the incumbent?
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by eherbal(m): 8:57pm On Jan 08, 2011
tinubu is nothing but an usurper.he cleaned out the A.D and it's founding fathers.the likes of abraham adesanya,ganiyu dawodu and the likes were relegated to the back seat in the running of the affairs of the party back then.these were the same men who brought him to be governor even though funsho williams was the one who won the primaries. It can be authoritatively deduced that tinubu directly or indirectly caused the untimely demise of these elder statesmen.after gaining control of the party he went for the states jugular,the treasury.he milked the state dry.lagos state civil servants were and are still the least paid in the country .he used the ill gotten wealth to set up companies like alpha beta,lasaa,and others.apart from the afore mentioned.he gets a clean sized percentage from the states internally generated revenue,from local govt chairmen (whom he personally hand picked and imposed against the people's mandate)and the federal allocation.a level seven civil servant in lagos earns 25,000 a month,has a family of four to take care of,transports himself everyday,feeds,clothes himself etc.before you know whats gwan,the pay is exhausted within 2wks,then he resorts to what he knows best.stealing and short changing his employers.you might be saying that it's now a fashola problem,but it's actually a carry over of the tinubu era,fashola is merely acting out a script.remember,'he who pays the piper,dictates his tune'.tinubu should be put out of circulation for a while to allow for true development take place in lagos state.his colossal plundering of the states resources should be put paid to.the federal govt is not planning any arrest on the scoundrel,he's only blowing a whistle on himself.
Lest i forget,fashola should let lagos state civil servants know the true position of things concerning his proposed minimum wage of 12.500 when other states are getting ready to pay 18,000.let him bear in mind that lagos is the most expensive state in the country and it's work force cannot bear to be left behind in the harmonisation of such magnitude. Remember,your election is around the corner now that you've clinched the ACN TICKET   angry
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by nduchucks: 8:59pm On Jan 08, 2011
careytommy:

I agree Tinubu should be arrested, but first the likes of Atiku should be hounded up

Why should the arrest of one criminal be contingent upon the arrest of another? If EFCC has enough evidence to prosecute any of them, let the arrest happen already and may the chips fall where they may.
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 08, 2011
Tinubu is really that popular in the South West. He is tolerated but not popular. ACN is popular in the SW only as a counterpoint to a disreputable PDP. It is possible but not certain that he can win another election in Lagos.
ARREST HIM. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by gonzaga: 10:41pm On Jan 08, 2011
It has become the modus operandi of the ACN to make loud unsubstantiated allegations just to draw attention.Mr lieying moh'd the publicity secretary loves attention and so, whenever he seems to be too quiet, he comes up with one alarm just to remind us of his presence in the political space. Am sick and tired of this wolf cry when there is no wolf around. Atiku must have picked that up during his short stint with AC. Let them for once provide incontrovertible evidence to back their cliams and stop disturbing the political space with alarms that will never sound. THE WHOLE NUHU RIBADU EPISODE IS JUST A FACADE BY TINUBU TO ENSURE THAT EVEN IF RIBADU EVER GETS BACK TO THE ANTI-CORRUPTION BODY, HE WILL LACK THE MORAL STRENGTH TO PESECUTE HIM. TINUBU IS AS CORRUPT AND FOUL AS THE TYPICAL NIGERIA POLITICIANS. RUMOURS ARE ALREADY MAKING THE ROUND ABOUT HOW SOME OF THE JUDGEMENTS WERE OBTAINED. TIME WILL TELL. NIGERIA WILL CERTAINLY OUTLIVE HER LOOTERS.
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by jmaine: 10:59pm On Jan 08, 2011
gonzaga:

It has become the modus operandi of the ACN to make loud unsubstantiated allegations just to draw attention.Mr lieying moh'd the publicity secretary loves attention and so, whenever he seems to be too quiet, he comes up with one alarm just to remind us of his presence in the political space. Am sick and tired of this wolf cry when there is no wolf around. Atiku must have picked that up during his short stint with AC. Let them for once provide incontrovertible evidence to back their cliams and stop disturbing the political space with alarms that will never sound. THE WHOLE NUHU RIBADU EPISODE IS JUST A FACADE BY TINUBU TO ENSURE THAT EVEN IF RIBADU EVER GETS BACK TO THE ANTI-CORRUPTION BODY, HE WILL LACK THE MORAL STRENGTH TO PESECUTE HIM. TINUBU IS AS CORRUPT AND FOUL AS THE TYPICAL NIGERIA POLITICIANS. RUMOURS ARE ALREADY MAKING THE ROUND ABOUT HOW SOME OF THE JUDGEMENTS WERE OBTAINED. TIME WILL TELL. NIGERIA WILL CERTAINLY OUTLIVE HER LOOTERS.

The emboldened are perfectly true, Lai Mohammed abi Lai Alarmed incessant lousy propaganda is uncalled for. The next minute now he will soon say that the PDP want to impregnate Ahmed Bola Tinubu wife. we have heard the " Tinubu to be assasinated" with no prove over and over again. then he accused some Northern Gov of trying to kill Tinubu, he knew that was a dangerous card and he mellowed on that stance. That guy should please shut up and concentrate on winning the Lagos state for ACN. And for the Record , Tinubu is as corrupt as any other politician, just that in his case he is leading some pliable disciples in the opposition.
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by Kobojunkie: 11:08pm On Jan 08, 2011
gonzaga:

[size=13pt]It has become the modus operandi of the ACN to make loud unsubstantiated allegations just to draw attention. Mr lieying moh'd the publicity secretary loves attention and so, whenever he seems to be too quiet, he comes up with one alarm just to remind us of his presence in the political space.[/size] Am sick and tired of this wolf cry when there is no wolf around. Atiku must have picked that up during his short stint with AC. Let them for once provide incontrovertible evidence to back their cliams and stop disturbing the political space with alarms that will never sound. THE WHOLE NUHU RIBADU EPISODE IS JUST A FACADE BY TINUBU TO ENSURE THAT EVEN IF RIBADU EVER GETS BACK TO THE ANTI-CORRUPTION BODY, HE WILL LACK THE MORAL STRENGTH TO PESECUTE HIM. TINUBU IS AS CORRUPT AND FOUL AS THE TYPICAL NIGERIA POLITICIANS. RUMOURS ARE ALREADY MAKING THE ROUND ABOUT HOW SOME OF THE JUDGEMENTS WERE OBTAINED. TIME WILL TELL. NIGERIA WILL CERTAINLY OUTLIVE HER LOOTERS.

I agree that much of what you have here is probably the case. And you are right, this rumor spreading exercise has sort of become common place for the Tinubu gang right before an election. I remember quite clearly how this same rumor surfaced only a couple of weeks before Ekiti Elections, and before we knew it, it was almost as if no one cared anymore what part Tinubu and his boys played in that election, as everyone instead focused on the president and Mama INEC. lol
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by olu77(m): 11:19pm On Jan 08, 2011
Nairalanders!!! We shout day and night here on Nairaland loosing peace and sleep while the men we are defending, surporting or hating e.g. Ibb, Tinubu, Ribadu, Obj, Gej Buhari & all the rest corrupt leaders of Nigeria are busy wining and dinning together in Abuja.   sad sad sad

, Anyway, Seun is busy smilling to the bank too with thanks to these same men  grin grin grin

I see a revolution coming soon non of them would escape it!
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 08, 2011
@ kobojunkie, akainzo has clearly pointed them out to you yet you refuse to accept your errors. Why is that so difficult for you?
My ovi browser is one difficult navigation tool, for instance i cant retrieve quotes, else i would have through the trouble. I see you and Akainzo have decided to drop it, thus, i dont see any reason to pursue it any further
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by Kobojunkie: 11:30pm On Jan 08, 2011
olu77:

Nairalanders!!! We shout day and night here on Nairaland loosing peace and sleep while the men we are defending, surporting or hating e.g. Ibb, Tinubu, Ribadu, Obj, Gej Buhari & all the rest corrupt leaders of Nigeria are busy wining and dinning together in Abuja.   sad sad sad

, Anyway, Seun is busy smilling to the bank too with thanks to these same men  grin grin grin

I see a revolution coming soon non of them would escape it!

There was a thread on this four years ago, guess what . . . it never happened? Why? Because we had people making excuses for why we should leave their people alone . . . lol
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by fstranger6: 11:43pm On Jan 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

There was a thread on this four years ago, guess what . . . it never happened? Why? Because we had people making excuses for why we should leave their people alone . . . lol

Like you would actually get off your arse and join in the revolution!
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jan 08, 2011
@ ndu chuks,
u know the case against atiku r more damning than the allegations against tinubu which would likely lack merit in any court.
Atiku's recent outburst that Nigeria would be ungovernable if GEJ runs for the presidency should attract a charge no less than treason.not to mention his complicity and indictment, even as far as the us of a, of multiple financial misappropriation.
FYI, i'm no ACN member nor fan of inn or whatever he stands for
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by software(m): 11:55pm On Jan 08, 2011
am not suprised, Tinubu would have done the same if he had same powers, we all just need to get rid of all dis Old fools and selfish politicians, God help Naija,
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by ineedajob: 12:46am On Jan 09, 2011
We need Idiagbon to lock up all these politicians - unfortunately death has cheated Nigerians.
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by nduchucks: 1:18am On Jan 09, 2011
careytommy:

u know the case against atiku r more damning than the allegations against tinubu which would likely lack merit in any court.
Atiku's recent outburst that Nigeria would be ungovernable if GEJ runs for the presidency should attract a charge no less than treason.not to mention his complicity and indictment, even as far as the us of a, of multiple financial misappropriation.
FYI, i'm no ACN member nor fan of inn or whatever he stands for.

Who cares whether the case against Atiku is more damning than the one against Tinubu? If EFCC can prove that any of them is guilty of a crime, let them arrest and prosecute. That Atiku is allegedly guilty of any crime has absolutely no bearing on whether Tinubu has a case to answer. Why is this fact difficult for you to understand?

To be honest with you, e better make person dey take brain think instead of yansh o.
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jan 09, 2011
Political parties ready for primaries

By Festus Owete and Ayo Okulaja

January 9, 2011 02:40AM
Print print Email email Share Share

Majority of contenders for the presidential job will, this week, battle to cross the first hurdle in the race to the Aso Rock Presidential Villa. Some major political parties are conducting their national conventions where their delegates will either elect or adopt candidates who will fly their flags in the April 9 presidential polls. The parties are the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) and All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), which are the biggest political parties in the country. While the convention of the PDP comes up on January 13, the ANPP and ACN will hold their respective conventions on January 14.

All parties have up until January 15 to forward the names of their flag bearers to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). Last Wednesday, former head of state, Muhammadu Buhari, became the first presidential candidate to emerge in the current dispensation.

After a verbal vote at the national convention of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) in Abuja, Mr. Buhari was adopted to fly the flag of the new party. He had flown the flag of the ANPP in 2003 and 2007, but lost to Olusegun Obasanjo, and the late Umaru Yar’Adua, all of the PDP, respectively. Mr. Buhari left the ANPP to float the CPC last March and, at the time of the convention, he was expectably the lone aspirant; hence, he was unanimously adopted as the party’s presidential candidate.

The emergence of Mr. Buhari has left many political analysts uncertain about the alliance talks between his party and the ACN. Both parties have been in talks for months, but have disagreed mainly in the area of which platform to use by the contestants. But if the talks materialise, the ACN’s convention may just be conducted to pick a running mate to Mr. Buhari. It is not clear yet when the other parties will organise their conventions to elect or ratify their candidates, before the January 15 deadline.

And the contestants are,

Aspirants contending for the ticket of the PDP are the incumbent president, Goodluck Jonathan; former vice president, Atiku Abubakar, Sarah Jubril, and Sani Aminu Dutsinma. In ACN, the aspirants include Nuhu Ribadu, an ex-cop and former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC); Attahiru Bafarawa, a former governor of Sokoto State; and Uba Saidu Malami, a businessman. The party’s former national secretary, Usman Bugaje, has reportedly pulled out. Although he refused to confirm it, Mr. Bugaje, like Mr. Babangida, is said to have written the party notifying it of his intention to withdraw.

It is another crowd in the opposition ANPP, where about four presidential hopefuls have emerged. Billionaire businessman and former chairman of the party’s board of trustees, Harry Akande; outgoing governor of Kano State, Ibrahim Shekarau; one-time presidential candidate of the defunct National Republican Convention, Bashir Othman Tofa; and Dauda Birma, a former minister, will slug it out at the Eagles Square venue of the party’s national convention this Friday.

Others who have indicated their interest in vying for the nation’s top political job include Pat Utomi of the Social Democratic Mega Party (SDMP) and John Dara of the National Transformation Party (NTP).

Two-horse race in PDP

The main attraction, of all the conventions in the buildup to the elections, is that of the PDP. This is not only because it is the party in power at the centre, it is also the largest and it has 27 governors who are bent on determining the way votes should go. Also, unlike Mr. Buhari, other aspirants are not having a smooth ride in the presidential race. Even Mr. Jonathan, the incumbent president, is having to slug it out with other aspirants for the party’s ticket.

Supporters of Messrs Jonathan and Abubakar have squared up against each other in a verbal war before the primaries. Other contenders appear not to matter in the race. The battle between the Messrs Jonathan and Abubakar is based chiefly on the strength of the alleged zoning arrangement agreed a few years ago by the party’s leaders. According to the arrangement, presidential power is to be rotated between the north and the south, both of which have three geo-political zones each.

The same goes for the contest in the states. Proponents of zoning say it was on the basis of that meeting that Section 7.2 c was incorporated into the constitution of the party. Besides, they claim that it was on the basis of the zoning formula that the late president, Umaru Yar’Adua, from Katsina State in the North West geo-political zone, emerged as the presidential candidate of the party in 2006.

When the president died in May, Mr. Jonathan, who was his deputy from Bayelsa State in the South-South zone, took over power and soon after declared his interest in vying for the position to succeed himself. The president’s action angered some northern members of the party who insisted and are still insisting that he should not contest. The demand led to the consensus project, which produced Mr. Abubakar last November as the north’s representative in the presidential primary contest. The struggle to respect the zoning formula soon became a matter of litigation.

Mr. Dutsinma, who like Mr. Yar’Adua hails from Katsina State, sought the interpretation of the party’s constitution in an Abuja High Court.

The court, presided over by Hassan Lawal Gumi, affirmed that the constitution of the PDP recognised zoning and rotation, but declined declaring that the north was entitled to pick the presidential ticket of the party in the coming election. Last Thursday, apparently dissatisfied by the ruling, Mr. Dutsinma, who is allegedly fronting for Mr. Abubakar, headed back to a Federal High Court, seeking the order of mandamus to compel INEC to ensure that the party adheres to the provisions of its constitution.

Before the latest suit, three associates of the former vice president — Yahaya Kwande, Dubem Onyia, and Lawal Kaita — had gone to court asking it to stop the PDP from fielding Mr. Jonathan as its presidential candidate. Ishaq Bello of an Abuja High Court has fixed ruling on the matter for tomorrow.

Beyond the court cases, another issue causing a row in the ruling party is the inability of its leaders to name members of the National Convention Committee, which will conduct the January 13 convention. The party had done so for the other elective positions, namely the governorship, National Assembly, and the state houses of assembly.

On two occasions in the last three weeks, Mr. Abubakar’s campaign outfit, Atiku Campaign Organisation, has cried out over the matter.

“Preparations for the conduct of the PDP presidential primary election appear to be going on in extreme secrecy, which makes the entire process suspect and places it under grave threat going by the omissions noted above,” Ben Obi, the director general of Atiku Abubakar Campaign Organisation, said at a press conference last Thursday.

Legal loopholes

Some lawyers warn that there are still some legal loopholes in the manner in which the congresses are being organised. Olisa Agbakoba, a former president of the Nigerian Bar Association and a member of the Uwais Panel, said that there is an institutional gap in the electoral process. He was particularly unhappy that the electoral system has no regulator for the political parties.

“The Uwais panel discovered that INEC was dealing with so many bureaucratic processes and to address this anomaly, we recommended that the Political Party Registration and Regulation Commission should be set up, so that as INEC gets on with the tremendous task of organising voters registration and the elections proper, this commission will function as the regulator of what ever goes on with the political parties which, in essence, addresses issues of internal democracy,” he said.

“No party in this country as of today is carrying out the conduct as dictated by the law and that should raise concerns for our hopes in the coming general elections. The National Assembly should have paid more attention to the Uwais report and now it cannot be addressed, considering the number of primaries and conventions the parties will have to conduct, and INEC does not have the resources to handle that,” he said.

Rotimi Akeredolu, also a former chairperson of the NBA, pointed at the under-capacity of INEC to truly monitor the parties.

“The position of the law are very clear on the issue and what I know will/is happening is that the political parties are going to hold primaries that will be skewed to the advantages of some individuals, and they will insist to INEC that they have held their primaries,” he said. “The unfortunate thing is that INEC does not have the resources to supervise all the political parties and also very unfortunate that we are starting on a false premise,” he added.

The CPC debunked insinuations that its candidate did not go through state congresses before he was ratified at the recent convention.

“Every legal condition (on the convention) was met,” Lanre Tejuosho, chairman of the CPC National Convention and Congress Committee, told NEXT on phone last Friday.

John Omokhomion, chairman of media and publicity subcommittee, spoke in the same vein.

“We wrote INEC quite alright, and it sent its officials to supervise our congresses nationwide though I can’t recollect when the letter was dispatched. We also wrote the commission on our national convention and it sent two officials, including Regina Omo-Agege, whose office monitors the event at the Eagles Square. And there is no way INEC will allow you to conduct a national convention without supervising your congress at whatever level, in this case,” he said.

“We are still in order.” John Odigie-Oyegun, chairman of the 22-member National Convention Committee of ANPP told NEXT in a telephone chat last Friday.

“The secretariat has written INEC already even before our inauguration. Ours is just the mechanic.”

Spokesman of the ANPP, Emma Eneukwu, spoke in the same vein. Mr. Eneukwu, who chairs the congress committee of the party in Yobe State, said that the congresses across the country are being monitored by INEC officials.

“We notified the commission and that is why they have been supervising our congresses. You can’t hold your national convention without INEC being satisfied with your state congresses,” he said.

INEC merely acknowledged the inherent lapses in the conduct of the state congresses.

“At the policy level, we are aware that there are lots of lapses and the leadership of INEC has been on the neck of officials concerned to point out those lapses and draw the attention of the parties concerned to those errors,” Kayode Idowu, spokesperson of INEC chairman, Attahiru Jega, told NEXT last Friday.

Mr. Idowu also noted that the idea is that the commission should not wait until the level of total breach that will necessitate penalties such as disqualification of a candidate, rather they should be remedied gradually as they come.

However, he stressed, at the end, the commission will bring every party not only to the dictates of the electoral law, but to the laws of their parties and the constitution just as he conceded that there is the awareness that the high number of parties could pose a challenge to meeting every detail of the law. Regina Omo-Agege, the commission’s director of political party monitoring could not be reached for comments.

Decision day Thursday

Meanwhile, ahead of the convention, both Messrs Jonathan and Abubakar have allegedly been spending huge amounts of money to convince convention delegates to vote for them. Analysts, however, say Mr. Jonathan may have the upper hand over his rivals because of the incumbency factor. Some governors have openly declared their support for Mr. Jonathan.

Last month, 20 governors addressed a press conference in Abuja during which they declared their support for the president to return to power just for a single term of four years. Going by the enormous powers they wield in their domains, the governors’ support is interpreted as a boost for the president’s ambition to succeed himself. Some of the governors have even gone to the extent of barring Mr. Abubakar from visiting their states. Those that have allegedly done so include Jigawa, Ebonyi, Abia, Kaduna, and Sokoto.

Again, some of the governors have allegedly deployed resources to help the president. The governors of Benue, Ebonyi, Katsina, Ogun and Bauchi, all of whom are the coordinators of the Jonathan/Sambo Campaign Organisation in their respective geo-political zones, were reported to have each donated N500 million to boost the president’s political ambitions. The president’s camp has since denied it. On his part, Mr. Abubakar, an old political war horse appears undeterred and has refused to quit the race. A former vice president, Mr. Abubakar is said to be relying on his political connections and the structure he has built over the years, especially the Peoples Democratic Movement structure.

Also, the just-concluded primaries for the national assembly, state houses of assembly and governorship (holding today Sunday) may play a deciding factor in the PDP primaries. Just like other parties, there are complaints all over the country by the party faithful who are aggrieved over the results of the primaries.

Some may go into the convention as spoilers for those they perceive to be responsible for their electoral misfortunes and therefore, try to get their own pound of flesh. Others may just vote considering that they have nothing at stake. All this will, arguably, influence the thousands of delegates that will converge on Eagle Square in Abuja, come this Thursday.

Pundits, however, believe that whichever way it goes, the PDP will not remain the same and may go into the battle shattered. There are reports that some northerners who are aggrieved that Mr. Jonathan still went ahead to contest have a plan B if Mr. Abubakar is either disqualified during the Tuesday screening of the presidential aspirants or loses during the convention. This plan B, it was learnt, may eventually be in favour of Mr Buhari during the main presidential contest.

A few days ago, reports indicated that the northern academia presented a secret verdict on Messrs Jonathan, Abubakar and Buhari to the NPLF chairman, Adamu Ciroma on December 24. Some of the members of the group, according to the report, may back Mr. Buhari if Mr. Abubakar fails to clinch the PDP ticket.
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by GBT(m): 2:00pm On Jan 09, 2011
Whats the big DEAL about arresting Tinubu?
Is he a saint? then what the F,
Anyway to solve the whole issue all the players from OBJ,Tinubu, Ibb and Atiku shud be arrested and locked away.

There will be peace in the polity.
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by lastpage: 3:02pm On Jan 09, 2011
After six pages, the only person that made any sense, because he knows what is "gwan under the table" is e-herbal! Let me quote him again!
tinubu is nothing but an usurper.he cleaned out the A.D and it's founding fathers.the likes of abraham adesanya,ganiyu dawodu and the likes were relegated to the back seat in the running of the affairs of the party back then.these were the same men who brought him to be governor even though funsho williams was the one who won the primaries. It can be authoritatively deduced that tinubu directly or indirectly caused the untimely demise of these elder statesmen.after gaining control of the party he went for the states jugular,the treasury.[b]he milked the state dry.lagos state civil servants were and are still the least paid in the country .he used the ill gotten wealth to set up companies like alpha beta,lasaa,and others.apart from the afore mentioned.he gets a clean sized percentage from the states internally generated revenue,from local govt chairmen (whom he personally hand picked and imposed against the people's mandate)[/b]and the federal allocation.a level seven civil servant in lagos earns 25,000 a month,has a family of four to take care of,transports himself everyday,feeds,clothes himself etc.before you know whats gwan,the pay is exhausted within 2wks,then he resorts to what he knows best.stealing and short changing his employers.you might be saying that it's now a fashola problem,but it's actually a carry over of the tinubu era,fashola is merely acting out a script.remember,'he who pays the piper,dictates his tune'.tinubu should be put out of circulation for a while to allow for true development take place in lagos state.his colossal plundering of the states resources should be put paid to.the federal govt is not planning any arrest on the scoundrel,he's only blowing a whistle on himself.
Lest i forget,fashola should let lagos state civil servants know the true position of things concerning his proposed minimum wage of 12.500 when other states are getting ready to pay 18,000.let him bear in mind that lagos is the most expensive state in the country and it's work force cannot bear to be left behind in the harmonisation of such magnitude. Remember,your election is around the corner now that you've clinched the ACN TICKET   Angry
This is not an Hausa Vs. Yoruba Vs. Igbo thing so Lets forget the "Yoruba or Jonathan would burn" angle, NOTHING GO HAPPEN IF TINUBU IS ARRESTED AND LOCKED UP FOR GOOD.

Let me just also add that the MAJOR reason we dont have grass-root developments in Lagos (go and see how pathetic the feeder/street roads in Lagos are) is because:

1.) Most of the LGA chairmen are "selected and imposed" by Tinubu

2.) These LGA chairmen have to pay as much as 40% of their direct monthly allocation to Tinubu so, where is the money to do street road projects or equip classrooms going to come from, if you factor-in individual corruption of these LGA chairmen themselves?  grin (if they dont pay, Tinubu would finance their removal just as he tried to do to Fashola when he decided he was going to stop the Billions he has to pay Tinubu every month from the State's allocation). Even now, the weight of this blackmail is making Fashola dip his hand into the state's coffers, to steal money so he can pay-off "The GodFather" Tinubu or gets removed from office!

3.) As it is now, Lagos is deeply enslaved by Tinubu, he chooses anyone he wants to be LGA chairman and they know they must pay him whatever he demands. This is corruption at its highest level, no meaningful dividend of democracy can come from such arrangement

4.) Atiku was the one that paid the "party-registration fee" of A.C and he has the "Certificate of Registration" in his hand.
Now, Tinubu has finally "HIJACKED" the party from Atiku by registering (or re-registering it grin ) it with a new Name (A.C.N) and Tinubu paid and collect the Party's Registration Cert.

Now imagine what we will go through in the next four years, now that Tinubu has assumed full control?

That Tinubu is a Mafia Boss and he uses Assassinations, blackmail, intimidation and harassment to force money out of government officials and then uses same ill-gotten wealth to finance outrageous impeachment on public officials.
HE SHOULD BE PROPERLY INVESTIGATED, HIS SOURCE OF STUPENDOUS WEALTH EXPOSED AND JAILED FOR A LONG TIME.

This is not about PDP, or Jonathan or Atiku, its about taking down corrupt and evil individuals who stunt development in our land, one after another, IN ANY ORDER! It does not matter who came first or who was jailed last! J-A-I-L THEM IS ALL WE NEED.

BTW: Ignorant people will continue to kill themselves over one politician or the other, they support, while their families and those around them are ruined by the same politician! grin grin grin Very funny, ignorance is truly a disease shocked shocked
I know these things first hand, l have direct access to some of these LGA chairmen and l hear their complaints and they feel helpless somehow!
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jan 09, 2011
why do we all like to waste time on such useless arguments? why should Tinubu be arrested? even if he is corrupt, is he worse than OBJ, or IBB, or Atiku, or Turai yar adua? please!!! this country is on the road to nowhere elections or not, GEJ is as corrupt as his predecessors, he is no better and is obviously as morally bankrupt as Abacha if he subscribes to this idea
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by GeorgeD1(m): 4:47pm On Jan 09, 2011
G.B.T:

Whats the big DEAL about arresting Tinubu?
Is he a saint? then what the F,
Anyway to solve the whole issue all the players from OBJ,Tinubu, Ibb and Atiku shud be arrested and locked away.

There will be peace in the polity.

who will bell the cat? grin
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by bkbabe97y(m): 5:04pm On Jan 09, 2011
lestat:

why do we all like to waste time on such useless arguments? why should Tinubu be arrested? even if he is corrupt, is he worse than OBJ, or IBB, or Atiku, or Turai yar adua? please!!! this country is on the road to nowhere elections or not, GEJ is as corrupt as his predecessors, he is no better and is obviously as morally bankrupt as Abacha if he subscribes to this idea

I used to think only the Ibos made these kinda crazy statements. . . .

I see the malady of madness is a family issue that runs through the veins of every Nigerian irrespective of tribe!
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by juman(m): 6:57pm On Jan 09, 2011
If the news is true, President Jonathan should focus on managing the crisis in his party instead of thinking that arresting Asiwaju Tinubu would make a big political gain for them.
There are more than enough hands to carry on ACN affair if Mr. President arrest Asiwaju Tinubu, people like Chief Bisi Akande Chief Segun Osoba, Alh. Lam adeshina, other ACN elders and ACN state governors.
Its would be just waste of time for President Jonatahn to focus on disorganising feeble and very weak opposition, while there were parallel PDP primaries in almost all states in just concluded PDP primary in the states.
President Jonatahn, PDP is controlling more than enough states to win presidential election. You people should concentrate on how to win the states first.
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by nobility2: 7:09pm On Jan 09, 2011
Arrest Tinubu and end democracy in Nigeria for now.War will crop up pronto I promised.GJ should better face his campaign and seek for support of ACN to stop Atiku and others otherwise he will loss power and end in jail.Take it or leave it.
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by alldone(m): 7:55pm On Jan 09, 2011
if he has something to answer then he should prove himself. most of this guys have skeleton in their cupboard, so let us watch and see our it goes. if anyperson can vouch for him let us know.
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by rasputinn(m): 8:26pm On Jan 09, 2011
Tinubu is a rogue that should have been arrested earlier
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by babapupa: 9:27pm On Jan 09, 2011
rasputinn:

Tinubu is a rogue that should have been arrested earlier

Arrested for what? For what crime? For what you can prove or can't prove?

Many of you are worse than market women. You not only sound silly, you sound hopelessly clueless and irrational.
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by marvix(m): 9:52pm On Jan 09, 2011
If we all take time to read this thread from the beginning we would all msee why we can not progress as a nation.

Why should the arrest of a suspect be hinged on wheter there is an election or not, is anyone talking about Tinubu being innocent or not.

In the Originating post, Tinubu is expected to be arrested for operating a foreign account while in office, the question I thought we would be asking is did Tinubu operate any foreign account while in office or not? Can Tinubu confidently tell us that he did not operate any foreign account in disregard to the constitution he swore to? It really doesnt matter if he wasnt the only one or if they want to pick him up at election time and there is no rule that says we must catch the biggest thief before catching smaller thieves.

Lai Mohammed should have faced the issue he raised can he kindly tell us that Tinubu did not operate any foreign account while in office and dare those investigating him to come up with proof.

Corruption is in terrible control of this nation such that we really need to declare a state of emergency on it, where once you are accused you should be considered guilty until proven innocent, or we legalise some aspect of corruption, like operating a foreign account can be allowed if you can prove that you have not transferred state funds to your private accounts.
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by rasputinn(m): 10:05pm On Jan 09, 2011
babapupa:

Arrested for what? For what crime? For what you can prove or can't prove?

Many of you are worse than market women. You not only sound silly, you sound hopelessly clueless and irrational.

And you sound like an backside wipe
Tell me,do you have to be able to prove allegations before you make arrests,is it the duty of the police or the EFCC to do that or the courts,since you're the only ignoramus that's decided to adopt the Ostrich approach to the Tinubu issue(as you've conveniently decided to pretend you never heard he operated foreign accounts,how about the tax evasion racket he's been doing with Oando?( ,fine and good,you're entitled to your opinion,only just allow the rest of us to ours without spewing stinking bunkum from your equally stinking mouth
Re: Federal Govt Under Pressure To Arrest Tinubu by MrDJ1(m): 11:14pm On Jan 09, 2011
If Goodluck want to start arrests, he should start from his father OBJ

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Adebutu: Kashamu Led 50 Thugs To Attack Me In Port Harcourt / Dapchi: DSS Negotiated Release Of Abducted Girls - Defense Headquarters Reveals / PDP Youths Describe Buhari's Reelection Bid As "Dead On Arrival"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.