Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,468 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct (11820 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen: South-east Governors In Abuja Over Attacks / Ganduje, Kwankwaso Reconcile After Intervention Of 6 Governors In Abuja. Photos / Top 15 Most Performing Governors In Nigeria By Premiumratings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by nduchucks: 5:48pm On Jan 08, 2011
The South Western states including Ekiti, Ondo, Osun, Oyo, Ogun, and Lagos state have been relatively free from conflicts and violence based on religion. Recently however, we have seen violence including murder because of politics and electioneering.

It is noteworthy to me that the only PDP governors in the area, Gbenga Daniels and Aloa Akala are Christians while the rest, Kayode Fayemi ACN, Olusegun Rahman Mimiko Labor Party, Rauf Aregbesola ACN, and Babatunde Raji Fashola ACN are all moslems.

It is also very likely that after the 2011 elections, there may be only 1 or less Christian Governor in all of Southwest. My understanding is that the Moslem/Xtian ratio in the area is 50:50. Could it be that South West christians are being outclassed by their moslem counterparts? Could I also be erroneously trying to see if there is a relationship when there is none?

I invite comments from residents of the area. No religious or ethnic bashing please - lets make this a nice academic exercise.
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by jason123: 5:57pm On Jan 08, 2011
GOOD OBSERVATION!

The SW or yorubas do not view religion as a big deal. Among the populace, the ratio is still 50:50 and they have lived peacefully for as long as I can remember. To the yorubas, the bond that the cultural similarities form are stronger than the divisive nature of religion since they were all animist before the introduction of christainity and islam. My father and 2 of my brothers are muslims and my mother and 3 of us are christains, I can tell you there has been no argument over religion.
Long story short, the cultural Identity is stronger than religion in the SW.

2 Likes

Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by Missy85(f): 6:15pm On Jan 08, 2011
Well done Jason.

Just to add, I've not been in a circle  where anyone has raised the issue of religion as a reason for voting or not voting for a candidate in the S West.

Most families have practising moslems, christians and  the lot, as well as non practising folks. The overarching influence in Yorubaland is culture  and the omo o wa ni' concept.
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by jason123: 6:19pm On Jan 08, 2011
Missy85:

Well done Jason.

Just to add, I've not been in a circle  where anyone has raised the issue of religion as a reason for voting or not voting for a candidate in the S West.

Most families have practising moslems, christians and  the lot, as well as non practising folks. The overarching influence in Yorubaland is culture  and the omo o wa ni' concept.

WELL SAID!!!
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by johnie: 6:19pm On Jan 08, 2011
I am not sure that Mimiko is a practising muslim.
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by Missy85(f): 6:29pm On Jan 08, 2011
just spoke with someone in Akure, Mimiko is a practising xtian.

Apparently, his family's real name is Ifamimiko. He dropped the Ifa bit.

See how much info you can get in a few mins,,,the joys of cellfone!

1 Like

Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by TplenT(m): 6:31pm On Jan 08, 2011
, the O.P is not correct.fayemi is a christain(staunch catholic),akala is baptist while mimiko attends RCCG.Out of the SW Governors,only fashola and aregbesola are muslims;meanwhile fashola's wife is a staunch catholic(she's Antonia).which means that fashola himself may only be a nominal muslim,

1 Like

Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by Akainzo(m): 6:36pm On Jan 08, 2011
jason123:

The SW or yorubas do not view religion as a big deal. Among the populace, the ratio is still 50:50 and they have lived peacefully for as long as I can remember. To the yorubas, the bond that the cultural similarities form are stronger than the divisive nature of religion since they were all animist before the introduction of christainity and islam. My father and 2 of my brothers are muslims and my mother and 3 of us are christains, I can tell you there has been no argument over religion.
Long story short, the cultural Identity is stronger than religion in the SW.

Good point Jason, the SW see more cultural and familial bond than religious leanings. Most families have mixtures of both thus they don't see the religion as a divisive factor. Most Nigerians should emulate them and we would have a better Nigeria.
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by Kobojunkie: 6:45pm On Jan 08, 2011
Missy85:

just spoke with someone in Akure, [size=13pt]Mimiko [/size] is a practising xtian.

Apparently, his family's real name is[b][size=13pt] Ifamimiko.  He dropped the Ifa bit.[/size][/b]

See how much info you can get in a few mins,,,the joys of cellfone!

ROFLMAO!!
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by nduchucks: 6:47pm On Jan 08, 2011
Thanks for the contributions guys.  Mimiko's moslem middlename Rahman, was the reason why I thought he is a moslem, I wonder why he did not drop his middle name just as he dropped Ifa from his last.

If I am wrong about Fayemi then my bad - I read somewhere, where he was urging Muslims to emulate Ibrahim, Mohammed e.t.c  Its hard to find out simple facts about our elected officials. Sigh.
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by Akhenaten: 6:47pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akainzo:

Good point Jason, the SW see more cultural and familial bond than religious leanings. Most families have mixtures of both thus they don't see the religion as a divisive factor. Most Nigerians should emulate them and we would have a better Nigeria.

Most Nigerians are dominated by ONE single religion. Hausas are predominately Muslim, Nupe are predominately Muslim, Igbos are predominately Christian, Ibibios are predominately Christian etc etc. How can we all emulate something that is most common with the Yoruba and not with other ethnicities except for a few like the Idoma, Igala and some Edo groups.
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by koruji(m): 6:48pm On Jan 08, 2011
Thank you. I was wondering about the names because certain names generally are given by Christians to their kids, while muslims tend to give their kids Arabic names (or at least the Yoruba version of it). When you see names such as Kayode, short for Oluwakayode - that person and/or his parent(s) are likely Christians.

I hope people will check their facts b/4 starting divisive threads - especially given recent events. Among Yorubas in general its is very common to have a mix of muslim, christians and traditional (not animist) religions. Not that there are no religious extremists - there are, but it have never been a major problem until national/international events of recent times.

Growing up my uncle was muslim, my mum christian, we celebrated the holidays together and so on. Religion should be a personal thing, and those who continue to mix it with politics are neither serving God nor man!

TplenT:

, the O.P is not correct.fayemi is a christain(staunch catholic),akala is baptist while mimiko attends RCCG.Out of the SW Governors,only fashola and aregbesola are muslims;meanwhile fashola's wife is a staunch catholic(she's Antonia).which means that fashola himself may only be a nominal muslim,
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by nduchucks: 6:59pm On Jan 08, 2011
@koruji, how is the thread devisive? Did you read the original post at all or you are an onijogbon by nature? Controversial issues do not have to be wept under the carpet and not discussed because certain people may be emotionally unstable.

I ask again, just as in the first post: No religious or ethnic bashing please - lets make this a nice academic exercise.
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by jason123: 7:09pm On Jan 08, 2011
koruji:

Growing up my uncle was muslim, my mum christian, we celebrated the holidays together and so on. Religion should be a personal thing, and those who continue to mix it with politics are neither serving God nor man!

Good point.

Akhenaten:

Most Nigerians are dominated by ONE single religion. Hausas are predominately Muslim, Nupe are predominately Muslim, Igbos are predominately Christian, Ibibios are predominately Christian etc etc. How can we all emulate something that is most common with the Yoruba and not with other ethnicities except for a few like the Idoma, Igala and some Edo groups.

I think what he meant by that is, religion should not matter in politics since the SW do not elect people based on their beliefs.
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by ekubear1: 7:13pm On Jan 08, 2011
Interesting thread, good points raised.
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by koruji(m): 7:23pm On Jan 08, 2011
@ndu_chucks
It is divisive because the only outcome of such a thread is to get people of different religions thinking they need to compete in the political arena on the basis of religion - so they won't become "extinct" in politics. May be I am wrong. In that case, you need to inform as to the objective of your post.

We have seen recent evidence of this in Kaduna, where some muslims attempted to keep the Christian deputy governor from taking over after Sambo became VP. We have seen the same with some people saying not to vote for a muslim president in 2011.

Unless you live on another planet you cannot pretend that, along with tribe, religion is one of the most divisive issues in Nigeria, Africa and the globe.

I would like to be more onijongbon than is possible, if you must know. Nigeria is rotten and will not be healed by being jeje. We need an upheaval of major proportions to sweep away the cancer cells in Nigeria's body.

ndu_chucks:

@koruji, how is the thread devisive? Did you read the original post at all or you are an onijogbon by nature? Controversial issues do not have to be wept under the carpet and not discussed because certain people may be emotionally unstable.

I ask again, just as in the first post: No religious or ethnic bashing please - lets make this a nice academic exercise.

Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by nduchucks: 7:26pm On Jan 08, 2011
Sharia courts have been in existence in Northern Nigeria for as long as I can remember. There were certainly Sharia courts in the area as early as the 60's.  Christians and Moslems lived side by side without religious fracases until recently when certain elements tried to politicise religion in the area.

Moslem vs Christian conflicts have been quite minimal in the South West. Why is this so?  There may be some lessons to be learnt from this observation.  By the way, do we have Sharia courts anywhere in the South West? If not, would the Moslems from the area, care to explain why this is OK by them?

@Koruji, please take a chill pill and relax. Religion does not seem to be a devisive issue in the South West as many posters have posited. By the way, are you going to create an upheaval from the comfort of your living room watching the Philadelphia Eagles coast to the super bowl? I doubt if you are in the trenches in Nigeria. Enjoy your weekend.

Thanks.
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by jason123: 7:37pm On Jan 08, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Sharia courts have been in existence in Northern Nigeria for as long as I can remember. There were certainly Sharia courts in the area as early as the 60's.  Christians and Moslems lived side by side without religious fracases until recently when certain elements tried to politicise religion in the area.

Moslem vs Christian conflicts have been quite minimal in the South West. Why is this so?  There may be some lessons to be learnt from this observation.  By the way, do we have Sharia courts anywhere in the South West? If not, would the Moslems from the area, care to explain why this is OK by them?

The reason is already stated above, " the cultural bond is stronger than the religious bond"
Secondly, there is no sharia court in the SW. The reason is that, muslims in the SW are moderate muslims. They also tolerate the christains and vis-versa. Infact, religion is not a big deal in the SW. undecided
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by koruji(m): 7:37pm On Jan 08, 2011
@ndu_chucks
Ok. I'll let you go. Yes, you are correct I am not on ground and regret having to watch Nigeria from afar. So, deserved criticism. Still, if any contributions from here helps in any small way, I want to do it.

And yes, I like the Philadelphia Eagles. . . and New England. . .and the Colts. . .and . . .

ndu_chucks:

@Koruji, please take a chill pill and relax. Religion does not seem to be a devisive issue in the South West as many posters have posited. By the way, are you going to create an upheaval from the comfort of your living room watching the Philadelphia Eagles coast to the super bowl? I doubt if you are in the trenches in Nigeria. Enjoy your weekend.
Thanks.
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by koruji(m): 7:42pm On Jan 08, 2011
@jason123
There are Sharia courts in some SW towns (Osogbo has one) just like we have customary courts. There is nothing wrong with it as long as they stick to the role assigned to them in the constitution - and keep religion a personal decision. It is the movement towards extremism and making Islam into a state religion in some Northern states that is disturbing.

jason123:

The reason is already stated above, " the cultural bond is stronger than the religious bond"
Secondly, there is no sharia court in the SW. The reason is that, muslims in the SW are moderate muslims. They also tolerate the christains and vis-versa. Infact, religion is not a big deal in the SW. undecided
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by nduchucks: 7:48pm On Jan 08, 2011
@jason123, please clarify you position that the reason why sharia courts do not exist in the SW (or why only a handful exists) is because SW muslims are moderates. You seem to be implying that the Muslims of other areas that have Sharia courts are extremists? If so, that is completely wrong. I told you that Sharia courts have existed all over the North since at least the 60s and there were  no issues until certain elements tried to politicise religion in the area.  I hope you are not suggesting that SW muslims are fake muslims.  I await you second try on the reasons why Sharia courts are not present in the SW. Thanks.

@koruji, your contributions are appreciated, but expect to be vigorously challenged  smiley  I was a Cowboy fan, back in the days. The Eagles don't have a very good team, they are lucky that the cowboys are currently rebuilding their team and the fact that the dog lover is their quarterback.
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by Katsumoto: 7:55pm On Jan 08, 2011
ndu_chucks:

It is a divisive thread in that the intention is to introduce religion in to political thinking in the South West when it is a known fact that Yorubas are bound by culture rather than religion.

ndu_chucks:

@jason123, please clarify you position that the reason why sharia courts do not exist in the SW (or why only a handful exists) is because SW muslims are moderates. You seem to be implying that the Muslims of other areas that have Sharia courts are extremists? If so, that is completely wrong. I told you that Sharia courts have existed all over the North since at least the 60s and there were  no issues until certain elements tried to politicise religion in the area.  I hope you are not suggesting that SW muslims are fake muslims.  I await you second try on the reasons why Sharia courts are not present in the SW. Thanks.

Is it compulsory for Sharia courts to be in the South-West? What is the point of this debate?
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by koruji(m): 7:57pm On Jan 08, 2011
@ndu_chucks
Well, Vick has been a good suprise for the Eagles. I always thought Donovan would win a Super Bowl - but I guess not. I hope you guys get rid of that Tony Romo soon.

Vigorous challenge is good. This is exactly what Nigeria needs - vigorous discuss. Nigeria's leaders must begin to expect such vigorous challenge at every turn. That way, they will think twice before running for office on empty promises and taking us for these rides we have being on and off for more than 50 years.

ndu_chucks:

@koruji, your contributions are appreciated, but expect to be vigorously challenged  smiley  I was a Cowboy fan, back in the days. The Eagles don't have a very good team, they are lucky that the cowboys are currently rebuilding their team and the fact that the dog lover is their quarterback.
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by jason123: 8:02pm On Jan 08, 2011
ndu_chucks:

They are moderates, in the sense that, they do not veiw their christian brothers as infidels etc. They do not impose religion on their children (for example, I was thought the quran by my father but when i decided to be a christian, he did not stop me). They do not kill eachother in the name of justice. . . etc. I can go on and on.

@ bolded
This is the problem yoruba muslims have with northern muslim. The brutality of sharia is unfamilar to the yorubas and they do not practice it but instead, norther muslim say they are fake muslims and that is the problem.
Islam is a religion of peace but coupled with Sharia law, it becomes something else undecided. I personally view most northern moslems as hypocrites! why? If a thief is caught in a sharia state, his hand is cut off isn't it? but have you or any northern muslim not stolen before? have you or any northern muslim not had sex before marriage? But because you are not caught, you remain "holy". Well, GOD sees all and thats the difference. Yoruba muslims would not take justice into their hands.

I am waiting for your reply. You might even clarify somethings to me.
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by nduchucks: 8:34pm On Jan 08, 2011
jason123:

They are moderates, in the sense that, they do not veiw their christian brothers as infidels etc. They do not impose religion on their children (for example, I was thought the quran by my father but when i decided to be a christian, he did not stop me). They do not kill eachother in the name of justice. . . etc. I can go on and on.

@ bolded
This is the problem yoruba muslims have with northern muslim. The brutality of sharia is unfamilar to the yorubas and they do not practice it but instead, norther muslim say they are fake muslims and that is the problem.
Islam is a religion of peace but coupled with Sharia law, it becomes something else undecided. I personally view most northern moslems as hypocrites! why? If a thief is caught in a sharia state, his hand is cut off isn't it? but have you or any northern muslim not stolen before? have you or any northern muslim not had sex before marriage? But because you are not caught, you remain "holy". Well, GOD sees all and thats the difference. Yoruba muslims would not take justice into their hands.

I am waiting for your reply. You might even clarify somethings to me.

First let me commend you for your brutal honestly, one cannot call you a hypocrite. I must say that I’m a bit surprised that you chose to use Sharia as practiced by certain extremists as a benchmark, rather than siting the practice as implemented in the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s. You of all people, as a Moslem, should know that the extremists represent the minority who should not be allowed to hijack the religion.

You probably should have stated that the Yoruba Muslims have a problem with those extremists in the North and elsewhere, instead of stating that the Yoruba Muslims have a problem with Northern Muslims. That generalization of yours is quite unfair. Sharia courts have been in place since the 60’s in the North and more hands have been cut off in the past 15 years than the prior 40 years (in a lame attempt to make life difficult for OBJ, I might add). In fact, no hands were cut off anywhere in the North between 1950 and 1990. Were the Northern Muslims hypocrites during that period as well?

As for the bit about Yoruba Muslims not taking the law into their hands, please go to any SW market and invite a couple of people to shout ole or thief, and see if you’ll be lynched by only non Muslims. Your generalizations are a bit excessive. Care to restate your position?
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by jason123: 8:55pm On Jan 08, 2011
ndu_chucks:

First let me commend you for your brutal honestly, one cannot call you a hypocrite. I must say that I’m a bit surprised that you chose to use Sharia as practiced by certain extremists as a benchmark, rather than siting the practice as implemented in the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s. You of all people, as a Moslem, should know that the extremists represent the minority who should not be allowed to hijack the religion.

You probably should have stated that the Yoruba Muslims have a problem with those extremists in the North and elsewhere, instead of stating that the Yoruba Muslims have a problem with Northern Muslims. That generalization of yours is quite unfair. Sharia courts have been in place since the 60’s in the North and more hands have been cut off in the past 15 years than the prior 40 years (in a lame attempt to make life difficult for OBJ, I might add). In fact, no hands were cut off anywhere in the North between 1950 and 1990. Were the Northern Muslims hypocrites during that period as well?

As for the bit about Yoruba Muslims not taking the law into their hands, please go to any SW market and invite a couple of people to shout ole or thief, and see if you’ll be lynched by only non Muslims. Your generalizations are a bit excessive. Care to restate your position?

I should not have mentioned northern muslim but yes muslims in general.
Secondly, I WAS a muslim but no more.
thridly, most of the people that would kill the thief in the market are not religious.

Yeah, I understand what you mean but I was just tell you how yoruba muslim feel and see their environment.
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by ikeyman00(m): 9:25pm On Jan 08, 2011
@@@@@@@@@@

these thread is hoax!!

complete nonesense!!!

this is the question that should be directed to the abokis and malam vampires on desperse out there

until this idots recognise they are africa, 2; nigeria they will never know

nothing to learn from yoruba

cuz as a christain right in Nigeria i can tell u there are lots and lots of divisions that ones sees other differently u know

the fact im a roman catholic doesnt make me closer to a jehova witttness man u feel me

but then like they say culture goes first cuz that is who u are

so no need to dance in owambe style right here
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by tomdon(m): 9:40pm On Jan 08, 2011
Aboki is now even infiltrating yoruba muslems now making some think and act in alien ways.omo odua must say no to such evil and violence
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by aljharem(m): 9:42pm On Jan 08, 2011
ikeyman00:

@@@@@@@@@@

these thread is hoax!!

complete nonesense!!!

this is the question that should be directed to the abokis and malam vampires on desperse out there

until this idots recognise they are africa, 2; nigeria they will never know

nothing to learn from yoruba

cuz as a christain right in Nigeria i can tell u there are lots and lots of divisions that ones sees other differently u know

the fact im a roman catholic doesnt make me closer to a jehova witttness man u feel me

but then like they say culture goes first cuz that is who u are

so no need to dance in owambe style right here

and what is your contribution to this thrend
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by nduchucks: 9:54pm On Jan 08, 2011
@ikeyman00 & tomdon, I hereby repeat my request as stated in the first post: "No religious or ethnic bashing please - lets make this a nice academic exercise."

If you have nothing meaningful to contribute, then move on to another thread. You people apparently do not have the ability to divorce your bigotry from your posts. I'm quite sure from your standpoint, the abokis caused your brain damage and dementia as well. Intellectual Midgets banza kawai!
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by aljharem(m): 9:56pm On Jan 08, 2011
;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Christian Governors In All Of South West & Lagos Becoming Extinct by nduchucks: 10:32pm On Jan 08, 2011
Katsumoto:
It is a divisive thread in that the intention is to introduce religion in to political thinking in the South West when it is a known fact that Yorubas are bound by culture rather than religion.

You are quite wrong in your guess as to my intentions. How did you know what my intentions were, when I did not inform you that it is to introduce religion into political thinking in the South West? Haba, you are giving me more credit than I deserve.

Katsumoto:

Is it compulsory for Sharia courts to be in the South-West? What is the point of this debate?

I don’t believe it is compulsory for Sharia courts to be in the South-West. And by the way, this is not a debate, I simply hope to be informed. Hope, that’s OK with you.

P.S. Are you a Muslim? If not, you may be ignorant of the answers to some of the questions I asked. If not, you may try to answer them.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Secondus: PDP May Boycott 2023 Polls Without Electoral Reforms / Magboro Communities Threaten To Boycott Ogun LG Polls Over Dredgers' Activities / Judge Signs Release Order Of Igboho’s Aides, After 53 Days In DSS Custody

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.