Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,349 members, 7,846,517 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? (2179 Views)

"Never Let a Man Define Who You Are" - Oprah Winfrey / What Oprah Winfrey Had To Say About Men / Oprah Winfrey Has Only Dated 8 Men In Her Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? by outlaws(m): 7:55am On Jun 09, 2007
cool

Oprah have done a lot for her self, Black people in the U.S. and in Africa. Charities, and also to ladies. Most of her behaviors show signs of a Feminist.

There is also a saying that some Feminist don’t get married just because they don’t need a guy to help them and that they can help them selves in what ever they are doing. They just live alone or live with a girl or boy friend. Real sad.

Feminists often think that they are better than guys and that they can do anything that guys do. There are even ladies wanting to be Priest just because guys are and they feel because they live in a free society they can do what ever they want.

Feminists, do they empower ladies [turn them into angry women] or do they hurt society [especially guys?].
Re: Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? by drrionelli(m): 9:32pm On Jun 09, 2007
Are you suggesting that empowerment is the equivalent of making people angry?
Re: Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? by outlaws(m): 1:17am On Jun 10, 2007
cool

To:drrionelli:

Go figure
Re: Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? by desodgi(m): 1:12pm On Jun 10, 2007
Wot is romantic about this one nau?
Re: Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? by English1(f): 8:23am On Jul 09, 2009
I don't even understand what you are trying to say.

what about oprah? yes, she seems to be a feminist to me. what does that have to do with the other things you mention about her? do you think feminists can't do good acts?

Plenty of feminists get married or are in relationships. what rubbish is that, saying they live sad lives alone? bizarre idea.

hmmm, I think that women can do anything a man can do, although peeing standing up is harder for us, lol.

women priests, yes that's a topic of debate isn't it. I see it as more a religious issue than a feminist one. I'm not religious so personally I don't care either way.

empowering women - does not mean making them angry. what makes women angry is being unempowered and second-class citizens.

I think a society without equality for all its members, whatever their gender, race, religious beliefs etc, is a society with a lot of problems.

I don't think you really understand what 'feminism' means. It means a belief that women are equal to men. It doesn't mean they are exactly the same as men, or hate men, or are angry, or bad people. men can be feminists too by the way.

If you don't agree with feminism then you don't agree that women should be allowed to vote, that women should have the same legal rights as men, that women should be paid the same money as men for the same job, that women should be able to follow any career they have the talent for, that women should be educated at higher levels, these are all important feminist issues. If you don't agree with feminism you don't like women, that's my view.
Re: Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? by Godmother(f): 9:01am On Jul 09, 2009
outlaws:

cool

Oprah have done a lot for her self, Black people in the U.S. and in Africa. Charities, and also to ladies. Most of her behaviors show signs of a Feminist.

There is also a saying that some Feminist don’t get married just because they don’t need a guy to help them and that they can help them selves in what ever they are doing. They just live alone or live with a girl or boy friend. Real sad.

Feminists often think that they are better than guys and that they can do anything that guys do. There are even ladies wanting to be Priest just because guys are and they feel because they live in a free society they can do what ever they want.

Feminists, do they empower ladies [turn them into angry women] or do they hurt society [especially guys?].

If Oprah is a feminist I really dont think it is by choice. Hers could be due to the circumstances of her childhood.Try being raped repeatedly by someone as close as an uncle and see what the result would be
Re: Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? by English1(f): 12:43pm On Jul 09, 2009
huh? being abused as a child makes you believe in equality?

people do talk rubbish on here,

1 Like

Re: Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? by GEW: 1:14pm On Jul 09, 2009
outlaws:

cool

one more bad belle against my auntie from you i wiil go to the baba in ketu for you. she is trying her best. some people know they are not cut out for marriage and so respect themselves by not marrying unlike some of us who must be "mrs " at all cost
Re: Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? by biola44: 3:28pm On Jul 09, 2009
GEW:

one more bad belle against my auntie from you i wiil go to the baba in ketu for you. she is trying her best. some people know they are not cut out for marriage and so respect themselves by not marrying unlike some of us who must be "mrs " at all cost

i disagree with u, most feminist just cant see themselves submitting 2 men, dats why they live single lonely n sad lives. "man n woman need each other" - it was written!
Re: Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? by bluespice(f): 3:39pm On Jul 09, 2009
outlaw ur truly an ignoramus who's comfy in his folly
from ur post u have shown clearly that u have got not even the slightest inkling as to what feminism is, or who a feminist is

and so ill repeat drionelli's very sensible question,
Are you suggesting that empowerment is the equivalent of making people angry?
Re: Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? by GEW: 6:21pm On Jul 09, 2009
biola44:

i disagree with u, most feminist just cant see themselves submitting 2 men, dats why they live single lonely n sad lives. "man n woman need each other" - it was written!
some men are not worth it. they are still boys
Re: Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? by MrsChima(f): 9:16am On May 09, 2012
Go Oprah! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 09, 2012
Feminists often think that they are better than guys and that they can do anything that guys do.
This is my problem exactly: mentality! if u can write this and not see anything wrong with this statement,...........smh
To answer your question: the idea of discrimination in general makes people angry, whether based on race, gender, tribe or whatever, really! Some feminist might appear angry but this is due to long suffering and opression they might have suffered because of their gender. Feminist in no freaking way hurt the society. If you are a guy and you feel threatened by a woman that demand to be treated as your equal, i think u are the one with the problem
Re: Oprah Winfrey. Feminist? Feminist Good For Society? by MrsChima(f): 12:47am On May 10, 2012
It seems those some of these dumb arse people needs to be educated on the plight of feminism. It has nothing to do with unraveling a man's role nor so called authority. It has a lot to do with how women were treated and considered back in the olden days.

If you SO CALLED EDUCATED MOFOS would pick up a book or two written by actual women that lived in the olden times...YOU WOULD SEE things that you wouldn't want your daughter or any women in your family to experience.

This world has been dominated and governed by MEN and YET....MEN bitching about women wants to work and earn decent wages!

The very same men that are bitching day in and day out ARE COMPLAINING women are begging their broke arse for some biscuits, but cry a damn river if a woman wants to put forth work equally.

(1) (Reply)

Why Women Dump Men - 3 Very Good Reasons And A Hot Tip / Is The Metaphor ''love Is Blind'' Right In Today's World? / How Do You Get Back At Your Ex Who Has Hurt You Irreparably?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.