Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,426 members, 7,812,252 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:44 AM

Unmarried Women - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Unmarried Women (9276 Views)

How Do I Tell My Unmarried Elder Sister That She Is Getting Too Old? / Why are some unmarried women so hateful and lack pity ? / How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unmarried Women by Monishaa: 9:11pm On May 14, 2020
Marisa Tomei

The actress told Manhattan Magazine in 2009, “I’m not that big a fan of marriage as an institution, and I don’t know why women need to have children to be seen as complete human beings.”

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmarried Women by Monishaa: 9:17pm On May 14, 2020
Vanessa Paradis

Despite their 15 years together Vanessa and Johnny Depp did not decide to tie the knot. In an interview she said: “We’ve never said we don’t want to get married, but we’re neither opposed to it nor excited about it. You know, we might do it for the kids one day. But we are more than married: we have two children. It’s not like we need to.”

6 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by Monishaa: 9:18pm On May 14, 2020
Mindy Kaling

Mindy Kaling is a perfectionist when it comes to making fun of relationships and dating. She’s a self-professed, former wannabe-bride but her tune has changed since she matured.

Kaling says, “In my 20s, I was not only boy crazy, but marriage and relationship crazy. Now it’s almost the opposite. My work is so rewarding and I’m so self-centered about it that I’m kind of excited about not having to go home and ask someone about their day.” Mindy did have a daughter in 2017, but never revealed the identity of the father and she wasn’t romantically linked with anyone at the time.

7 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by bukatyne(f): 9:19pm On May 14, 2020
Monishaa:
Marisa Tomei

The actress told Manhattan Magazine in 2009, “I’m not that big a fan of marriage as an institution, and I don’t know why women need to have children to be seen as complete human beings.”

Until you see some colors together, you really can never visualize their combo.

3 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by Monishaa: 9:22pm On May 14, 2020
Anita Hill

Anita Hill, the woman known for opposing Clarence Thomas in a court of law, has also never been married. Today, she’s 60 years old and prefers to keep the more intimate details of her personal life completely private.

Hill has said, however, about her longtime boyfriend, “We’re both committed, and we’re happy. We’re together every day of the year, but we each have our own home. I don’t have anything against marriage; I haven’t decided not to do it. I just haven’t decided to do it.”

10 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by Monishaa: 9:23pm On May 14, 2020
Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906)

She was dedicated to the abolition of slavery and workers' rights but marriage was not on her mind. She organized anti-slavery campaigns and fought for women's right to vote. In 1877 she said in a speech that as women gained more freedoms it would be harder for them to submit to the inequalities of marriage.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmarried Women by Monishaa: 9:26pm On May 14, 2020
Diane Keaton

The great Diane Keaton can boast several high-profile boyfriends from her past, which include Woody Allen, Warren Beatty, and Al Pacino, but she’s never said, “I do” to any of them. Instead, she’s slayed at being a talented actress (hello, Oscar for Best Actress in Annie Hall) and has over 60 acting credits to her name. Her personal life is also fulfilled as she’s a proud mom to 2 adopted children.
Keaton once shared her thoughts on marriage: “I don’t think that because I’m not married it’s made my life any less. That old maid myth is garbage.”

10 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by Monishaa: 9:32pm On May 14, 2020
Clara Barton (1821-1912)

Barton found her calling as a health-care worker at age 10 when she nursed her brother back to health after he fell off a roof. At age 17 she became a teacher and later she became the first female clerk at the U.S. Patent Office and the first female clerk to be paid equal to a man's salary.

She received three marriage proposals and turned them all down. Though she thought of different men as possible lovers, no one of them measures up to her ideal of a husband her nephew Stephen said about her decision to remain single.

Clarissa Harlowe Barton, known as Clara, is one of the most honored women in American history. Barton risked her life to bring supplies and support to soldiers in the field during the Civil War. She founded the American Red Cross in 1881, at age 59, and led it for the next 23 years. Her understanding of the ways she could provide help to people in distress guided her throughout her life. By the force of her personal example, she opened paths to the new field of volunteer service. Her intense devotion to serving others resulted in enough achievements to fill several ordinary lifetimes.

7 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by AeroplaneApple: 9:34pm On May 14, 2020
Most of the women you posted have kids and even a man. Nothing beats having a spouse. Women with spouse are more mentally balanced and make good decisions.

Unlike those that sleep alone and wake alone. There is a part in your life you can't replace with a pillow or a dog

The same applies to men.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmarried Women by Monishaa: 9:35pm On May 14, 2020
Greta Garbo

In 1955, film legend Greta Garbo told TIME Magazine, “If I could find the right person to share my life with, I would. If you are blessed, you are blessed, whether you are single or married.”

The screen star was close to getting married once; in 1927, she left her former co-star and longtime love, Jack Gilbert, at the altar on their wedding day. Garbo wasn’t the warmest person towards those she wasn’t acquainted with and for many years, a rumored relationship between she Mimi Pollak was often discussed.

9 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by Acidosis(m): 9:36pm On May 14, 2020
Why is this important? We have thousands of nuns and reverend sisters around us. Unlike the above profiles who somehow always have more dvcks to play with, nuns don't even get to experience sex and the pleasure that comes with it.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmarried Women by SweetCunt97(f): 9:39pm On May 14, 2020
AeroplaneApple:
Most of the women you posted have kids and even a man. Nothing beats having a spouse. Women with spouse are more mentally balanced and make good decisions.

Unlike those that sleep alone and wake alone. There is a part in your life you can't replace with a pillow or a dog

The same applies to men.
Most of them have partners but without the intricacies of "I Do". That they did not marry doesn't mean they led a lonely life

15 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by Monishaa: 9:41pm On May 14, 2020
Coco Chanel

Coco Chanel had some high-profile affairs during the peak of her career but as for marriage, the famous fashion designer once said, “I never wanted to weigh more heavily on a man than a bird.”

Coco Chanel was a child orphan who had to grow up and learn the importance of not just resilience, but independence. She never came close to marriage but is suspected of mothering a child, her nephew André Palasse, that was raised by her sister.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmarried Women by Oluneutral: 9:44pm On May 14, 2020
It's their choice and has to be respected.

6 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by Arthur2021: 9:47pm On May 14, 2020
Their choice,their life. We should neither judge them for marrying and subtly judge those who value marriage(as woke people do to traditional women)

7 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by AeroplaneApple: 9:48pm On May 14, 2020
To each his own tent
Re: Unmarried Women by Monishaa: 9:48pm On May 14, 2020
Charlize Theron

Like many other successful actresses on our list, Theron has had several high-profile relationships, but has never been married. Instead, she won an Oscar for Monster (2003), starred in over 60 films, and is actively producing many projects. But most importantly, Charlize is a mom. She adopted 2 kids in 2012 and 2015 and raises them as a single mom.
Theron explained her stance on being single in 2014: “I’m sure there are a lot of aspects to my life that a lot of people wouldn’t want... Just personal choice things, like the fact that I’m single at 38. That’s not necessarily what a lot of women want... But I’m just saying, a life is good if it’s the life that you want... But I work at that, you know?”

5 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by bukatyne(f): 9:55pm On May 14, 2020
SweetCunt97:
Most of them have partners but without the intricacies of "I Do". That they did not marry doesn't mean they led a lonely life

Marriage in their case was/would have been formalty.

Imagine Oprah saying she is not married and living with her lover like forever.
Re: Unmarried Women by Monishaa: 9:55pm On May 14, 2020
Harper Lee

The Pulitzer Prize winning author of the American classic To Kill A Mockingbird never married.

7 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by Arthur2021: 9:56pm On May 14, 2020
bukatyne:

Until you see some colors together, you really can never visualize their combo.
"A woman should marry " "A woman should not marry" are both constructs that cages people's choices
The traditional people are guilty of using the first statement.The non traditional (woke and feminists) are used to using the second statement.
Sadly the woke ones don't classify the second statement as oppressive as the first.

When one fights against people living out their "traditional beliefs",it is called enlightenment.
When one fights against people living their " modern beliefs " it is called oppression.

True enlightenment is giving room for those that wants to be traditional.

People like LadyGCrueDKilaB ,biglittlelois,dande55,ariza,fieryy ,liberalchick et Al that came for your head will never understand this.

We should live and let live.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmarried Women by crackland: 10:01pm On May 14, 2020
All I see are celebrities, white women, Americans/British, etc.

Please create a list that perfectly encapsulates the lifestyle/culture of an average Nneka, Adetutu, or Aisha on the streets of Nigeria.

People with a good grasp on reality do not use the 2%
to make a point, when in fact there's a startling 98% that are not of the status or pedigree of any of these women.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unmarried Women by Monishaa: 10:03pm On May 14, 2020
Condoleezza Rice

Rice was the first African-American female Secretary of State, and the second African-American Secretary of State (after Colin Powell). Today, Rice is a political science professor at Stanford University, and a director of its Global Center for Business and the Economy. When TV interviewer Piers Morgan asked Rice why she had never married, she replied that “the fact is I’ve never found anybody that I want to spend my life with."

10 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:05pm On May 14, 2020
crackland:
Celebrities, white women, Americans/British, etc.

Please create a list for the average Nneka and Adetutu on the streets of Nigeria
The average Nneka and Adetutu has been conformed by the society to believe that her worth and life purpose is tied to marriage.And without marriage she is nothing and cannot make it in life.

If you think outside the box and cage that the society has put you in you will be labelled and called all sorts of names for thinking differently.

The white or oyinbo society is quite different because they give room for new ideas and do not force you to conform due to the fact that they have evolved.They were once like us too.

Dambisa Moyo is an African woman from Zambia at 51, unmarried the last time I checked and doing well for herself.

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Unmarried Women by crackland: 10:10pm On May 14, 2020
Ladyhippolyta88:

The average Nneka and Adetutu has been conformed by the society to believe that her worth and life purpose is tied to marriage.

If you think outside the box and cage that the society has put you in you will be labelled and called all sorts of names for thinking differently.
The white ir oyinbo society is quite different because they give room for new ideas and do not force you to conform due to the fact that they have evolved.They were once like us too.

Dambisa Moyo is an African woman from Zambia at 51, unmarried the last time I checked and doing well for herself.
And you are neither white, nor are you Dambisa who serves on the board of Barclays.

A list containing average Nigerian women (not celebrities), is what will be a more realistic representation.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unmarried Women by Nobody: 10:12pm On May 14, 2020
Acidosis:

Why is this important? We have thousands of nuns and reverend sisters around us. Unlike the above profiles who somehow always have more dvcks to play with, nuns don't even get to experience sex and the pleasure that comes with it.
Because they are nuns now they are better than these people. Nobody asked them to deprive themselves of sex. It's what they chose. And how are you 100 percent sure they dont ever experience sex? What if they masturbate cheesy or sleep with the reverend father grin
Celebrate the nuns if you want to, without having to downplay these women as well

3 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:14pm On May 14, 2020
crackland:

And you are neither white, nor are Dambisa who serves on the board of Barclays.

A list containing average Nigerian women (not celebrities) is what will be realistic.
The list are celebrities because they are popular and the ones we know and can have a certain influence on people.

When you interview the average ones let me know.
People use celebrities more because they are popular and their stories are out there.

The stories of Nneka and Adetutu is unknown because either they have refused to share or they are not that popular to influence or reach a wide audience cheesy

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmarried Women by Monishaa: 10:14pm On May 14, 2020
Genevieve Nnaji

One of the most beautiful women in the world remains unmarried against all odds.

18 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by Nobody: 10:15pm On May 14, 2020
The truth is it's not easy finding that worthy person. Some of us dont know what good marriages looks like judging from our parents own. Reading stories here everyday is a nightmare, it's better to be single than miserable in marriage. Have kids if you want to

Modified; SINGLE basically means I AM NOT MARRIED, not that they didnt have partners or whatever. And that to me is saving themselves from lot of marriage commitments that dont even hold water these days.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmarried Women by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:18pm On May 14, 2020
rockstarB:
The truth is it's not easy finding that worthy person. Some of us dont know what good marriages looks like judging from our parents own. Reading stories here everyday is a nightmare, it's better to be single than miserable in marriage. Have kids if you want to

Well said cool cool

9 Likes

Re: Unmarried Women by crackland: 10:18pm On May 14, 2020
Ladyhippolyta88:

The list are celebrities because they are popular and the ones we know and can have a certain influence on people.

When you interview the average ones let me know.
People use celebrities more because they are popular and their stories are out there.

The stories of Nneka and Adetutu is unknown because either they have refused to share or they are not that popular to influence or reach and wide audience cheesy
Now why would I do that? cheesy

I'm not the one trying to prove that an average Nneka, Adetutu, or Aisha, is happily unmarried by choice.

Y'all should enter road and do your research to make your point.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmarried Women by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 14, 2020
Arthur2021:

"A woman should marry " "A woman should not marry" are both constructs that cages people's choices
The traditional people are guilty of using the first statement.The non traditional (woke and feminists) are used to using the second statement.
Sadly the woke ones don't classify the second statement as oppressive as the first.

When one fights against people living out their "traditional beliefs",it is called enlightenment.
When one fights against people living their " modern beliefs " it is called oppression.

True enlightenment is giving room for those that wants to be traditional.

People like ladyhippo lyta88,bigl ittlelois,dan de55,ari za,fier yy ,liberalc hick et Al that came for your head will never understand this.

We should live and let live.
I see you suffer selective comprehension, you read and understand what you only want to understand. Earlier before, you mentioned that I mock/insult Buka for her thread but for the fact that you are inconsequential to my being here I did away with the desire to ask you to point out where I insulted or mocked the lady and graciously ignored. However seeing you have the this uncontrollable urge to drag me into whatever feud going on with the ladies here, I will not watch you label me as what I'm not or create a false reputation of me.

Any further attempt or mention to involve me in your childish tantrums/controversies here would be reported. It is advisable you have some self respect and maintain your lane. Thanks.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmarried Women by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:23pm On May 14, 2020
crackland:

Now why would I do that? cheesy

I'm not the one trying to prove that an average Nneka, Adetutu, or Aisha, is happily unmarried by choice.

Y'all should enter road and do your research to make your point.
Direct it to the OP then.
Nor be me open thread

The thread was not about the average Nneka,Adetutu and Aisha you brought that one up by yourself and since you want to hear their stories to know if it is realistic or not interview them.
That is your own cup of tea not the OP's
So you enter road do your research

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Why Do Most Educated Women Find It Very Difficult To Submit Their Husbands / Bombshell As Fertility Study In Nigeria Shows Male Infertility Rates Higher / Why Carry A Gas Lighter!!!! When Ur Wrist Watch Can Do It!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.