Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,017 members, 7,828,579 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process (72326 Views)

Zungeru Building Where Lord Lugard Signed Nigeria's Amalgamation Lies In Ruins / Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic / Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by SmartyPants(m): 12:40pm On May 15, 2020
Kekereekun123:
it is not the fault of the world powers that we africans have little sense. Even in my tribe yoruba. There were many inter tribal wars among the aworis, egba, oyo etc. So we should have 10000 countries in Africa or wetin. South sudan they fred. See as them don continue fuckery. Abeg abeg

What is wrong with having 10000 countries in Africa? If that is what works for we Africans who have always untied along our tribal lines, what makes it wrong to do so?

And in any case, the truth is that if we separate ourselves today, we will only go on to form stronger alliances with those we truly identify with. Ambazonia with Cross River and Awka Ibom, Yorubas with Togo and Benin, North East and West with Chad and Niger, and the same process all over Africa.
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by Dedetwo(m): 12:40pm On May 15, 2020
BankyGee:

Because we are our own problem... Nepotism, tribalism... Every negative [b]-ism [/b] is here in Nigeria

These are byproducts of the silly amalgamation Lugard concocted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by BabaO2: 12:40pm On May 15, 2020
Kekereekun123:
We are not the only country joined together. Others are progressing and moving on well. We are here still weeping
name one that is as heterogenous as Nigeria
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by 3Ceagle(m): 12:41pm On May 15, 2020
rottencorpse:
1. House where Frederick Lugard Signed the Amalgamation of Northern & Southern Nigeria, now in Ruins with Overgown Weeds, at Zungeru, in Northern Nigeria.

4. Amalgamation Ceremony. Zungeru, January 3, 1914

3. Flora Louisa Shaw Lady Lugard (1852-1929)

4. Frederick Lugard’s Residence in Ikot Abasi L.G.A.

Are those national monuments not looking like the country? Very much dilapidated, abused and abandoned.
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by Awoleesu(m): 12:41pm On May 15, 2020
Kekereekun123:
We are not the only country joined together. Others are progressing and moving on well. We are here still weeping

Example?
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by SmartyPants(m): 12:42pm On May 15, 2020
kikero:

Not the guy you quoted, but most former colonies have mixed results.

Many African countries who were like Nigeria amalgamated are just as bad as Nigeria, and some are even worse. South Africa and Botswana appear to be doing well, most of the others appear to be doing badly.

Asian countries? Some like Malaysia and Indonesia are doing well, some like Burma and Laos are relatively poor.

The major difference appears to be

1.Some countries made the decision to go industrial a bit eg Indonesia, Malaysia, etc.

2.Some countries had bad dictators (Indonesia's Suharto is a notable example) who looted and then invested the loot back into their country.

3.The countries that are doing badly are heavily resource dependent...and heavily import dependent.

do you see the connection between bringing disuntied people together to tussle over resources and lack of development?
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by letitrainnow(m): 12:43pm On May 15, 2020
Great story ...
Bookmarked.
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by KanuSE: 12:43pm On May 15, 2020
[s]
nijabazaar:

Curse Lugard.
[/s]

Bless Luggard coz he gave us the best gift but our fathers have failed us woefully.

Our fathers are to blame - period!
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 15, 2020
KanuSE:

With due respect sir, your submission is absolute nonsense coz we have records of what Nigeria used to be like b4 the oil boom.

Do your research sir, Do your research. cool

I have, and to be honest, Nigeria had the 'appearance of riches' before the oil boom.

Yes, things looked good....for chaps living in the cities. In the 1960's and 70's the government spent a lot of the income on the city dwelling educated elite because they were the ones going to build up the country. And there were enough jobs because between 1960-80 we were replacing the white people. That's why it appeared we were rich. If you lived in the rural areas, you were poor (There was no power in my village till 2006....and that includes the good old days of the 1960's and 70's. If things were that good, my village should have had light.)

From 1980 onward, the number of educated graduates was higher than the economy's ability to find jobs for them. Add the fact that oil prices crashed in 1982, the guaranteed agricutural markets in the UK were no longer there from the 1970's (New Zealand too lost those guaranteed agric markets in the 1970's as well, largely because the UK was going through severe financial difficulties)..and that's when problems started.

We should have changed the basis of our economy, from being resource dependent to either industries or intellectual driven (New Zealand became something of a tech hub, though they went through some tough times). Instead we kept on being resource dependent, and this time oil was our new drug.

In a way we agree. Bad leadership wrecked Nigeria. Where we disagree is how. You think it is 'in how they used the money only' . I think it is also a large function of 'how the money is made in the first place' too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 15, 2020
SmartyPants:

do you see the connection between bringing disuntied people together to tussle over resources and lack of development?

Not exactly

1.Malaysia and Indonesia are not exactly idylls of unity. Malaysia has divisions. Indonesia has divisions including a separatist movement in Aceh that ended only when the 2004 tsunami wiped out most of the rebel side.

Both countries also have tribalist issues. eg massive discrimination against their chinese populations.

2.India is also 'better' somewhat...and it has separatist movements, issues between Hindus and Muslims and a host of other issues.

The main difference is 'is the country dependent on manufacturing vs dependency on resources.'. The more dependent on manufacturing a country is, the more likely it is to be 'better'...because for the manufacturing to work, things must work.
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by wink2015(m): 12:49pm On May 15, 2020
THIS HISTORIC PHOTOS WERE NEVER RELEASED TO NIGERIAN.

But just recently we are getting to know more about the Lord Lugard and his colonial administration.
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by Okiibe(m): 12:49pm On May 15, 2020
My honest question:
Please, did the south freely give their consent for the amalgamation, or were they coerced to do so?

I mean, hope there weren't duress in the process of amalgamation grin grin
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by wildikeman(m): 12:50pm On May 15, 2020
gambia:
The deed has been done, whats the way forward?
Either we split and declare independence of each other regionally or we stand as one but practice TRUE FEDERALISM!!!!
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by jumobi1(m): 12:51pm On May 15, 2020
We keep fighting for illegally created countries built on bloodshed. The White man illegally came to our lands and forged countries. We need to ratify the agreement to be a nation. This applies to most African countries. Otherwise, we are admitting White Supremacy.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by wildikeman(m): 12:51pm On May 15, 2020
manuelreports:
Why are people condeming Britain
Amalgamation was done for administrative convenience and the Nigeria ethnic Nationals have the chance to go their separate way upon declaration of Independence

I blame that man called Zik for his inability to reason properly irrespective of his status as an erudite scholar. Even when Sadauna of Sokoto and Obafemi Awolowo were protesting that the ethnic Nationals should go their separate way, Zik said No it is one Nigeria. Just kept reeling out bogus semantics.

Remember In 1956 a motion was moved by Anthony Enahoro for self Government but the Northerners said they were not ready yet. That was ample opportunity for the South to go their separate ways but some fools who want to answer Patons and nationalist never reasoned about the consequence of such an unholy Union.

Sorry then, oil have not been discovered in Nigeria in large Quantity untill 1958.

Although I blame Britain for Not adminstering Nothern and Southern Nigeria as separate entities, the bigger blame goes to our nationalists for not reasoning logically about the consequence of Northern and Southern Nigeria unholy marriage.
one of the most sensible thing i have seen here all day... Nice reasoning
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by GeorgeRasks(m): 12:52pm On May 15, 2020
It's obvious every decisions or actions we make must tell on us in the future. we are suffering from lugard's mistakes. God we surely see us through. Amen.
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by shaw2(m): 12:52pm On May 15, 2020
Ur really spewing trash.
Who are you referring to "YOU PEOPLE" you can be more specific.
Strength in number u say. The fast growing nations across the globe is doing fine blc of their population?
Ghana, Madagascar etc that encourage and invest in the well being of their citizens I hope their population is is the determinant?
There is strength in number when all have common goal and United in order to achieve that.
What do u have here?
Amalgamation of Nigeria was the biggest mistake ever in this country period.
KanuSE:
[s][/s]

Trash.

I clearly understand that you struggle with comprehension coz you fail to realise that the black man is the architect of his own problems.

Since independence, you ppl have always embraced the blame culture and wouldn't face reality but choose to be in denial.

Why do you refuse to see the strength in our numbers (population), diversity & potential as a nation.

You must be a slow coach!

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by wickyyolo: 1:04pm On May 15, 2020
madridsta007:

To the British it wasnt a mistake.
It was a grand design to ensure the control of their colonies by their puppets who are normally the most subservient to the British.
Same was done in Sudan, Pakistan/India/Bangladesh, etc. Germany did same in Rwanda, leading to the 1994 Rwandan genocide. It is called divide and rule. You want nationalism and "independence"? OK, no problem. We will give you that on paper but control you through our lackeys.
It is an excellent piece of business for and by the British.

Unless you have a strong lobby group in Westminster and unless you utilise lobby groups in Washington, the power of the intelligentia, academia and the press, this "mistake" will be what our children's children will inherit.

The cause of Rwanda genocide was not Germans but Belgium. Please do your research before writing online .
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by KanuSE: 1:04pm On May 15, 2020
kikero:

I have, and to be honest, Nigeria had the 'appearance of riches' before the oil boom.

Yes, things looked good?....for chaps living in the cities. In the 1960's and 70's the government spent a lot of the income on the city dwelling educated elite because they were the ones going to build up the country. And there were enough jobs because between 1960-80 we were replacing the white people. That's why it appeared we were rich. If you lived in the rural areas, you were poor (There was no power in my village till 2006....and that includes the good old days of the 1960's and 70's. If things were that good, my village should have had light.)

From 1980 onward, the number of educated graduates was higher than the economy's ability to find jobs for them. Add the fact that oil prices crashed in 1982, the guaranteed agricutural markets in the UK were no longer there from the 1970's (New Zealand too lost those guaranteed agric markets in the 1970's as well, largely because the UK was going through severe financial difficulties)..and that's when problems started.

We should have changed the basis of our economy, from being resource dependent to either industries or intellectual driven (New Zealand became something of a tech hub, though they went through some tough times). Instead we kept on being resource dependent, and this time oil was our new drug.

In a way we agree. Bad leadership wrecked Nigeria. Where we disagree is how. You think it is 'in how they used the money only' . I think it is also a large function of 'how the money is made in the first place' too.

We Nigerians have a penchant for complicating issues for ourselves. smiley Why the long epistle on black&white issue such as this.

@bolded,

You have satisfied my curiosity already and that's it. cool
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by guru90: 1:05pm On May 15, 2020
gidgiddy:
It was the day the British colonial mistake called Nigeria was created

Exactly!!!

There is a lot of bugs in this Nation........

This nation strongly needs debug..................................................
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by SmartyPants(m): 1:05pm On May 15, 2020
kikero:

Not exactly

1.Malaysia and Indonesia are not exactly idylls of unity. Malaysia has divisions. Indonesia has divisions including a separatist movement in Aceh that ended only when the 2004 tsunami wiped out most of the rebel side.

Both countries also have tribalist issues. eg massive discrimination against their chinese populations.

2.India is also 'better' somewhat...and it has separatist movements, issues between Hindus and Muslims and a host of other issues.

The main difference is 'is the country dependent on manufacturing vs dependency on resources.'. The more dependent on manufacturing a country is, the more likely it is to be 'better'...because for the manufacturing to work, things must work.

Ya, I am saying, when you bring together disunited people plus abundant resources (leading to resource dependency), what do you think will happen?

The natural tendency to scramble for resources along partisan lines will be heightened. Not so?

Emiratis are resource-dependent with no problems for example. So resource dependency is not the only issue.
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by honor4me: 1:07pm On May 15, 2020
We are crying for the unifications of Africa, yet most people want dismemberment of the only nation that has the largest populations of black men. I weep for my people
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by Nobody: 1:08pm On May 15, 2020
SmartyPants:

Ya, I am saying, when you bring together disunited people plus abundant resources (leading to resource dependency), what do you think will happen?

The natural tendency to scramble for resources along partisan lines will be heightened. Not so?

The problem with Nigeria is that we think the resources are 'enough' which is why even splitting up the country won't change anything...plus there is the risk of fighting breaking out for control of any resources.
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by Nobody: 1:10pm On May 15, 2020
rottencorpse:
1. House where Frederick Lugard Signed the Amalgamation of Northern & Southern Nigeria, now in Ruins with Overgown Weeds, at Zungeru, in Northern Nigeria.

4. Amalgamation Ceremony. Zungeru, January 3, 1914

3. Flora Louisa Shaw Lady Lugard (1852-1929)

4. Frederick Lugard’s Residence in Ikot Abasi L.G.A.

Although i don't like that Fulani Brit called Frederick Lugard. Why should historical monuments as such be allowed to rot away. What have our leaders been doing Why are there no laws put in place to protect these things Are our leaders that dumb.. fr A people without history can never go forward. All over Europe and Asia and other parts of the world there are structures over hundreds and even thousands of years that are not just standing but still very functional.

The Colosseum - Ancient Rome 1,950 years
Parthenon - Ancient Greece 2,466 years
Leaning tower- Pisa Italy 847 years
Eiffel tower - Paris France 133 years
Pantheon - Rome Italy 1,894 years
St Peter's basilica - Vatican City 514 years
Sistine chapel - Vatican City 547

To name a few.. but ordinary how many years here the authorities in charge just dey office collect positions and eat money without making good use of their dead brains. Our own just dey our body oo. Na we dey do ourselves undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by BankyGee(m): 1:10pm On May 15, 2020
Dedetwo:

These are byproducts of the silly amalgamation Lugard concocted.
Yeah
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by wickyyolo: 1:10pm On May 15, 2020
Kekereekun123:
uae, Malaysia to name a few

You don’t know what you’re saying.

Malaysia and Singapore were together and they went separate ways now they are progressing.

UAE was brought together by their own monarch in mutual understanding and no colonial power was involved.

Mention one country brought together by colonial power that is now successful.
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by SmartyPants(m): 1:14pm On May 15, 2020
kikero:

The problem with Nigeria is that we think the resources are 'enough' which is why even splitting up the country won't change anything...plus there is the risk of fighting breaking out for control of any resources.

If we split obviously, the question of resource dependency becomes far removed from the majority of regions except South-South. Underlying this is my notion that the split should form at least four new countries.

The North will have to go back to their agriculture or creating a new mining industry. There is a wealth of mineral resources in the north that have been ingored.
The South-West will focus on service-based industrialization alongside conventional industrialization which is already happening
The South-East will do the same with a reverse focus on conventional industrialization and subsidiary focus on service-based industries
South-South will be the only resource-dependent nation.
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by WeneDiali: 1:16pm On May 15, 2020
Osidazz19:

I agree, they should have left out the Biafuro in their landlocked jungle to their elements. They would have been surrounded by Nigeria just like Lesotho and SA. They could have also been deported back to Congo. What a mistake this shit was.

You are definitely an ewedu muslim fvcktard, it's their signature comment.

grin
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by Rolexjerry(m): 1:18pm On May 15, 2020
Na God go punish any where him dey. Without that Amalgamation, Southern Nigeria would have been a rich and developed nation.
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by bigfish3k: 1:19pm On May 15, 2020
gambia:
The deed has been done, whats the way forward?
The way forward is to undo it
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by Shattuck(m): 1:19pm On May 15, 2020
gambia:

But please how realistic it is?
it is very realistic brexit comes to mind, but the issue is our leaders are too stupid and corrupt to ever oversee such a monumental task
Re: Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process by niyiforeal(m): 1:20pm On May 15, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Special Report: Salary Of Nigerian Senators. / See Buhari's Reaction When He Was Announced Winner (Video) / Governor Sanwo-Olu In Church, Works As 'Usher', Greets People (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.