Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,803 members, 7,813,638 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:30 PM

What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? (31395 Views)

What Is It With African/black Parents And Emotional Blackmail? / Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate / What Is Wrong With My Mom? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by smiliyB(f): 10:18pm On May 19, 2020
They stop their children from establishing relationship with the opposite sex when they are much younger but once they are 25years and above... they'll now be the one to forcing and praying for spouse to fall upon their child. grin grin This is for both gender

Don't mind that I'm laughing, this is not how it should be. Allow your child to be in a relationship or establish friendship with the opposite sex, simply advise her on what to do and what not to do. Infact let your child bring their friends home so you can know who your child relate with.

6 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by SoSlimOlak(m): 10:19pm On May 19, 2020
I think the case here is you can't give what you don't have, the culture and religious background also contribute to the style of parenting in Nigeria/Africa as it were. If parents are operating with 21.1 version type of parenting.. they should try to update themselves with the pace of their children because if they like it or not peer influence, social media and their immediately environment will also dictate their style of parenting, how be it that a parent isn't sensitive enough to decipher all the aforementioned... They will just be a shadow of themselves.

Above all... We all need Christ...

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Jackossky(m): 10:20pm On May 19, 2020
To me, I think it's the angel facade.

The make believe that our parent are angels, few parent would tell their children mistakes they made when they were young, this make a child to try appear perfect but as we all know, the world doesn't work like that, child start beating himself up due to unmet expectations of the parent.

A father might once smoke cannabis but stopped after a while seeing the side effects, instead of explaining the process to the child, he beats up the child blue and black just for buying a pack of cigarettes for a neighbor

It won't take long for the child to become rebellious and I don't know why parent are scared of showing their scars to their children.

These lead to series of hypocrisy among parents and children, especially in Africa.

15 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Nobody: 10:22pm On May 19, 2020
Coolcalmcollect:
they are the worst in the world, they feel they brought us to this world, took care of us and so we owe them. like who asked them to fork without condom in the first place...I hate my parents parenting method. suffering to Dem means training...any small thing "I suffered to send you to school" who send you to born me before....get the fork out

Haba! You're not abusing a politician, this is your own parent o! Even some white folks raised in the west (despite their bastardized culture, particularly in the last century) don't just have regards but also possess some form of piety for their parents.

While emboldened expression might not be hard to say to a random guy on the street; to utter such to one's parent(s), speaks volume of the unruliness/rebellion running through one's mind and heart. Well, pray you don't receive such from your kids in the future because nothing send parents to an early grave other than children that suddenly turn bastards.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Angelacruz: 10:23pm On May 19, 2020
D cant be right all d tym...we ve different parenting styles.They are:authoritative parenting,authoritarian parenting,indulgent parenting n neglect parenting.Choose d one u knw is good for ur family n d society

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by packman: 10:25pm On May 19, 2020
Abetterperson:
where will I even start

they are big sex hypocrites: Joy when I was ur age I didn't know what kiss is.. Am 55 and I still don't know they do it

child abuse: if u have ever lived in a rural area u will understand

religious freaks: God will fix everything, I mean everything. God will fix hunger, cancer, std, hunger, pimples.. everything

bad role model: let's just say the truth Nigeria parents are bad role model. don't argue with me how many of you can look at your parents and say"that's what I want to be" answer 1/1000

Meee oooo
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Deicide: 10:25pm On May 19, 2020
Imagine telling a kid that "Tell me the truth I wouldn't beat you" the child end up telling the truth and you as an African parent beat black and blue out of the child. The kid trusted you and you let him/her down, do you know what stuff like that does to a child emotionally and psychologically? The child can't trust his own parents how does that child trust other people?

19 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by HarryDuce(m): 10:26pm On May 19, 2020
•Sex education is like a taboo subject. Many Nigerian parents assume their children will act exactly how they think children should act when it comes to sex. This is mostly not the case. You have to educate your children on sex matters.

•Many Nigerian/African parents don't know the difference between discipline and punishment/abuse. They brag to their children about the injuries they received from their parents like it's some kind of legacy and how they wouldn't bat an eyelid when they'd inflict the same on their children. Spare the rod and spoil the child is the usual rethoric.

13 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by EAhumble(m): 10:29pm On May 19, 2020
I would say the African parenting style is perfect if only I was raised by both parents. I was raised by dad and he is everything you can ask in a father, I pray I follow his footstep in raising my kids someday

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by herich(m): 10:31pm On May 19, 2020
Don't mind those fools, if their parents had given them freewill as they desired, most of them would have lost, long time ago.
The same whites that has early sex education are still maintaining the headquarter of divorcée, baby mamas, early child drug abuse, child molestation, high rate of single mothers.

5 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by chioma2020(f): 10:36pm On May 19, 2020
Christthesaviour:
Good morning guys

What do you think is wrong about the Nigerian/African style of parenting?

To me, I think Nigerian/African parenting is the best but African parents think they are always right even when they falsely accuse you which I don't think is right.

What else do you guys think? Let's discuss.

I serious don't like it.. I got so pissed off today.
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Nobody: 10:37pm On May 19, 2020
naija4life247:

Child Abuse is Oyinbo's phrase of encouraging indiscipline among toddlers. If Bobrisky parents had use igbati, ifoti, iforun, igbaju, igbati, igbarun, igbadi, iladi and other models of brain resetting slaps as at when due, we won't have a nuisance like that in our society like these useless White pigs.

Imagine going home, to tell your parents that you are gay. Two to three ifotis and igbajus, your brain will reset.
Hmn
despite all the slap and discipline you can see the type of youths naija is producing vs the oyibo ones

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by CuteYvonne777: 10:40pm On May 19, 2020
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by NaijadrivaCars: 10:43pm On May 19, 2020
I don't pray Africans of this generation should raise kids the way they are raised.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by WeRblessed(f): 10:43pm On May 19, 2020
Worst parenting ever!

Child abuse!

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Numero9: 10:48pm On May 19, 2020
African style of parenting used to be the best, but religion has destroyed everything!!!

You see children/youths growing up religiously but loosing moral values.

When I have kids in future, I'd bring them up the African/traditional way.

God spear the lives of my parents, I'm really going to need their help to assist me in bringing up my kids the way they brought me up..... Ísé

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by cmecproblem(m): 10:49pm On May 19, 2020
Poor communication. And impatience.
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Haraforever(m): 10:50pm On May 19, 2020
The gospel truth is that, most of these soi-disant parents need parental guidance themselves

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by freethinker01: 10:51pm On May 19, 2020
Everything is just wrong with our parents' parenting.
While growing up, not a day goes bye that I wasn't beaten either by my mom, dad or both. It made me not to confide in any of them... They never knew I was depressed them, only that I didn't commit suicide.
One thing I also hate is the fact that any bad thing said about me from an outsider to my parents, they don't verify, na beating sure pass.
Na wàhálà jhor.

5 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Taiwojon(m): 10:51pm On May 19, 2020
nothing wrong

best parenting ever.

children obey your parents in the Lord. honor your father and your mother for this right.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Kingmaduka(m): 10:52pm On May 19, 2020
Christthesaviour:
Good morning guys

To me, I think Nigerian/African parenting is the best but African parents think they are always right even when they falsely accuse you which I don't think is right.

African parenting is great, is a brain resetter, it makes you stand out anywhere in the world.

But pikin wey don mumu don mumu, no matter the techniques of african parenting.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by koyyess: 10:56pm On May 19, 2020
Parents are getting it all wrong with how they raise kids...especially when it comes to gender. Too much disparities has made both genders incompatible.

Sad.
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Drizzy5001(m): 11:00pm On May 19, 2020
Welcome to Africa, where if you try to correct or advice your African parents , they will shut you up , and say you are disrespecting them. grin
They always think they are right, forgetting that we are in 21st century.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by jaxxy(m): 11:05pm On May 19, 2020
Christthesaviour:
Good morning guys

Bad communication. It’s terrible. Other aspects are mostly fine.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Mizwisdom(f): 11:17pm On May 19, 2020
Lionessza6:
1.I think a lot African parents ( mothers in particular), tend to treat their sons as mini-kings who can do no wrong in their eyes. This is where the culture of Male entitlement starts from; the upbringing. The boys grow up with a sense of superiority that somehow absolves them of certain responsibilities.

2. Staying in toxic relationships for the children. In many cases,the children end-up worse off psychologically ,than kids coming out of two healthy parents living separately.

3. The "if Kevin can do it ,you can do it too ".mentality. you have a lot of parents who see the neighbour's kid doing well selling bread ,& they start pushing their own children towards that trade or career without assisting them in what they are really good at so that they too can be a shining example in their own right. You see the results of this in many African markets ,everyone sells the samethings ,hardly will you find people who produce the products or selling something that is not readily available.

Number 1, is not general, maybe your tribe which I suspect is Igbo.

African parenting is the best, it trains for future. Our problem is that we are fast losing our original, African parenting style

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Craigbrown4076: 11:18pm On May 19, 2020
Very interesting topic I must say.

I see people coming on here to criticize the Western way of upbringing. The truth is ours is even worse. And this is glaringly evident in our respective societies.

Do not allow Western media to deceive you, while the modern parents are complacent, the truant behavior exhibited by children is simply as a result of weak parenting, which also applies to us here.

Let me ask, how many people in our Nigerian society actual possess good "morals"?

You complain about homosexuality being the order of the day in the Western world. It is the same here, only difference is that we don't have laws promoting their existence.

Sadly, our society cannot be compared to that of the Western world and parenting has a large role to play with that.

All the beatings and corporal punishment in school has not amounted to anything profitable.

I could go on...

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by witworth(m): 11:20pm On May 19, 2020
Christthesaviour:
Good morning guys

they believe they are gods on their children and that they are unquestionable no matter what they do to their children, they also believe they know best and are always right in their decisions. Mind you not all but majority of them are guilty of this reality.
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Craigbrown4076: 11:21pm On May 19, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Number 1, is not general, maybe your tribe which I suspect is Igbo.

African parenting is the best, it trains for future. Our problem is that we are fast losing our original, African parenting style
Madam/Oga there is no need to make tribal attachments. Every tribe in Africa has her fair share.

2. She is prolly SAfrican.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by omonnakoda: 11:23pm On May 19, 2020
There is nothing like African parenting

There 100s of different ways people parent even In Nigeria before we expand to Africa

Some force religion on you,others don't. Some are Christians, Muslim's etc

Some have houseboys and drivers

Others hawk goods after school

Some are polygamous others are not.
Lekki parenting is different from Mushin parenting
Etc
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by abbey621(m): 11:25pm On May 19, 2020
smiliyB:
They stop their children from establishing relationship with the opposite sex when they are much younger but once they are 25years and above... they'll now be the one to forcing and praying for spouse to fall upon their child. grin grin This is for both gender

Don't mind that I'm laughing, this is not how it should be. Allow your child to be in a relationship or establish friendship with the opposite sex, simply advise her on what to do and what not to do. Infact let your child bring their friends home so you can know who your child relate with.

I see nothing bad in this, the freedom alloted in the West came at a costly price, teen pregancies, abortions, STDs, emotional trauma etc. No one can prevent these things completely but at least in 9ja it is curbed to a certain degree by parental, societal and religious influences. Let's talk about another factor, immaturity. Our 9ja boys are very immature, while our girls are amazingly naive, when you add the type of freedom you're talking about better believe chaos awaits. Take a look at our universities, most were sent to study but we all know what happens! Girls turn themselves into thots, boys believe anything is f*ckable! I think we should just leave things the way they are and lessen the restrictions once they reach the university becasue they're going to do what they want regardless grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by tenderjunkie: 11:25pm On May 19, 2020
Christthesaviour:
Good morning guys

African parenting is the best you say?
African parenting makes you not question authorities, it makes you docile. Part of why Nigeria is the way it is.

If you see an elder doing something wrong, it's customary to ignore cos he's an elder.

African parenting makes one deviod of truth and justice

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Mizwisdom(f): 11:26pm On May 19, 2020
Craigbrown4076:
Madam/Oga there is no need to make tribal attachments. Every tribe in Africa has her fair share.

2. She is prolly SAfrican.

I was thinking she is a Nigerian
that's why I mentioned a tribe.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Made A Mistake For Asking My Wife For An Open Marriage (story For The TL) / Happy Mothers Day, Come Share Your Mums Pic Celebrating Her / List Of Clothing Materials Grooms Present To Brides In The North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.