Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,682 members, 7,813,270 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:57 AM

What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? (31392 Views)

What Is It With African/black Parents And Emotional Blackmail? / Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate / What Is Wrong With My Mom? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Ytea(f): 9:52pm On May 19, 2020
The African elder/superior culture.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by sweet7oyin(m): 9:53pm On May 19, 2020
the poverty mentality

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by prodigyy(m): 9:53pm On May 19, 2020
Poor sex education

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by airminem(f): 9:53pm On May 19, 2020
grin It depends on the conceptualization of what africa parent means
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by jericco1(m): 9:55pm On May 19, 2020
The only problem with African parenting is that it has been smeared by the putridity of Western training undecided

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Reex12(m): 9:55pm On May 19, 2020
mine was too strict and controlling.
Always comparing ur success to others,so annoying but I guess it only drove me to become best

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Coolcalmcollect(m): 9:56pm On May 19, 2020
they are the worst in the world, they feel they brought us to this world, took care of us and so we owe them. like who asked them to fork without condom in the first place...I hate my parents parenting method. suffering to Dem means training...any small thing "I suffered to send you to school" who send you to born me before....get the fork out

24 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Realdeals(m): 9:57pm On May 19, 2020
Their tyrant and emperor style, the believe that they know all, their way is always right.

As a parent now, I'm ensuring a situation where my children can question my actions, this I believe itself, is learning and teaching.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Jullima(f): 9:57pm On May 19, 2020
Controlling

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by incogni2o: 9:58pm On May 19, 2020
With the way i see what whites are turning into.

Nothing is wrong with our style jare

11 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by lichocho(m): 9:58pm On May 19, 2020
Very good ooo..no be white people wey dia pikin go de shout for dem like say dem be mate...I remember d say I try shout for my mama,d look d woman give me alone format my brain..

6 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Prof0fficial: 9:59pm On May 19, 2020
good points
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Abetterperson: 10:00pm On May 19, 2020
where will I even start

they are big sex hypocrites: Joy when I was ur age I didn't know what kiss is.. Am 55 and I still don't know they do it

child abuse: if u have ever lived in a rural area u will understand

religious freaks: God will fix everything, I mean everything. God will fix hunger, cancer, std, hunger, pimples.. everything

bad role model: let's just say the truth Nigeria parents are bad role model. don't argue with me how many of you can look at your parents and say"that's what I want to be" answer 1/1000

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Gvnl(f): 10:01pm On May 19, 2020
Lol. You are so right.

ukaface:
African parents can never go wrong. They know it all,you can't correct them, because such would be termed disrespectful.
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Yonce(f): 10:02pm On May 19, 2020
Lionessza6:
1.I think a lot African parents ( mothers in particular), tend to treat their sons as mini-kings who can do no wrong in their eyes. This is where the culture of Male entitlement starts from; the upbringing. The boys grow up with a sense of superiority that somehow absolves them of certain responsibilities.

2. Staying in toxic relationships for the children. In many cases,the children end-up worse off psychologically ,than kids coming out of two healthy parents living separately.

3. The "if Kevin can do it ,you can do it too ".mentality. you have a lot of parents who see the neighbour's kid doing well selling bread ,& they start pushing their own children towards that trade or career without assisting them in what they are really good at so that they too can be a shining example in their own right. You see the results of this in many African markets ,everyone sells the samethings ,hardly will you find people who produce the products or selling something that is not readily available.

I think your first point is very generalized and a little on the extreme side.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by ofemigeorge(m): 10:02pm On May 19, 2020
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by packman: 10:03pm On May 19, 2020
The style still remains the best style...

Can't have my child arrest me...

Never grin

6 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Kay25(m): 10:03pm On May 19, 2020
What is wrong in African parenting is lack of communication...Their children tend to hide their feelings and even if they know they just shut themselves up because African parents tends to behave like emperors in their home.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by djlyrics(m): 10:03pm On May 19, 2020
Telling the children outdated folklore that bear no meaning in the 21 century in the name of passing morals.

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Nobody: 10:03pm On May 19, 2020
I love African style of parenting where you beat a child and the child automatically have sense. Oyibo children talk to them anyhow cause they lack beating.

10 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by GboyegaD(m): 10:04pm On May 19, 2020
From what I saw around me growing up, hypocrisy is the major challenge with African style of parenting. It is do what I say not what I do.

7 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by ofemigeorge(m): 10:05pm On May 19, 2020
Simply put....African parents don't encourage creativity, exploration, experimentation, freewill. , thinking outside the box, and lastly boldness ( this one to them is rudeness or disrespectful).

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by MissYusraah: 10:06pm On May 19, 2020
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by manduwem(m): 10:07pm On May 19, 2020
My opinion...
Yes there r some grey areas that still need to be looked at in terms of African parenting.
But what little gud inside me today came by my Dad stamping his feet down (to the nnoynace of my mom severally) that no son of his wud grow wild.
Compared to my jnrs my upbringing was barracks style BC I'm his first born.
At 32 now I still see n understand his eye n body language language, something I see children don't even recognise in their parents.

6 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Yonce(f): 10:08pm On May 19, 2020
jericco1:
The only problem with African parenting is that it has been smeared by the putridity of Western training undecided

You are 100% right.

People are getting heavily influenced by the parenting styles introduced by the western media.

Which is ironic because the eastern world aka Asia have very similar parenting styles to Africans and those people fight to limit their children from western exposure.
They know what's up! grin

8 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by manduwem(m): 10:08pm On May 19, 2020
My opinion...
Yes there r some grey areas that still need to be looked at in terms of African parenting (especially in the communication area)
But what little gud inside me today came by my Dad stamping his feet down (to the annoynace of my mom severally) that no son of his wud grow wild.
Compared to my jnrs my upbringing was barracks style BC I'm his first born.
At 32 now I still see n understand his eye n body language language, something I see children don't even recognise in their parents.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by naija4life247: 10:11pm On May 19, 2020
Fabulouzjoseph:
Child Abuse and over sabi

Child Abuse is Oyinbo's phrase of encouraging indiscipline among toddlers. If Bobrisky parents had use igbati, ifoti, iforun, igbaju, igbati, igbarun, igbadi, iladi and other models of brain resetting slaps as at when due, we won't have a nuisance like that in our society like these useless White pigs.

Imagine going home, to tell your parents that you are gay. Two to three ifotis and igbajus, your brain will reset.

9 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Farki: 10:11pm On May 19, 2020
Beating a child rather than trying to understand and correct the behaviour. Some parents just beat because they want to take out their frustration on an easy target. I have seen mothers beat newborns for crying, babies can't talk what else is a baby supposed to do? undecided

Male child/first born favoritism, where some people more children than they intended because none are male. It's like they see girls as bastards or half children.

Another one is discouraging kids from having relationships and being completely mute on the topic of healthy relationships. Then as soon as the children leave the house they pester them about marriage. How is someone supposed to get married on time when they would be punished for even being 3 feet away from the opposite sex?

Finally the emphasis on money and status over empathy. This is good because it gives kids a drive to succeed but can lead to the success getting to their head. It causes 'do you know who I am/my father is' mentality and fuels the engine of corruption.

Ah I almost forgot, read your books and become a doctor/lawyer/engineer because that's where the money is, anything else and you are a failure. Even dare to mention going into sports, music, acting, politics and worst of all farming which make more money than ever these days and you will get disowned.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by naija4life247: 10:13pm On May 19, 2020
prodigyy:
Poor sex education

Oyinbo people that teach their children how to fucck, for how long do those children stay in marriage?

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by KanwuliaExtra: 10:14pm On May 19, 2020
In some ways.
But in most? Negative! kiss

I keep only 20%. The rest I throw in the garbage. kiss
The ability to adapt to various circumstances and the cultural heritage(the arts).

FINISH!!!!!

African upbringing stands for:

Patriarchal DOGMA?
Chauvinistic MEDICRITY?
Nauseating MISOGINY?
Religious VODOOISM?
Lackadaisical WORK ETHIC?
Domestic, physical and sexual ABUSE?
Gender INEQUALITY?
Spiritual POVERTY?
Cultural PREJUDICE?
Lack of SELF PRIDE and REPRODUCTIVE CONTROL?
Ethnic and religious BIGOTRY?
Intellectual and Financial ILLITERACY?
Control FREAKISHNESS?
Relationship/marriage ROLE CONFUSION?
Sense of ENTITLEMENT?
Poor COMMUNICATION SKILLS?
Inability to GIVE AND APPRECIATE LOVE?
Materialism and VANITY?
Amoral HYPOCRICY?
Virginity RITUALISTS?
Homophobes and Sexual DEVIANCE?
LAWLESSNESS?
Psycho-Social MISFITS?
Poor ROLE-MODELLING?
Political SYCOPHANCY?
Lack of personal PRINCIPLES?
Civil COWARDICE?
Corrupt GENETIC POOLING?
Unpatriotic PSYCHE?
Low SELF-ESTEEM?
Poor COPING MECHANISM?

Hell To Da No!kiss

Tufiaaaaaakwa I say!!!

8 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Lotusflowerbomb: 10:15pm On May 19, 2020
Verbally abusive, narcissistic, controlling, overprotective and manipulative. That's how best to describe some of them.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Wife Is Stubborn. / Help! My Cousin's Fiancee Lied Now He Wants To Call It Off!! / I Made A Mistake For Asking My Wife For An Open Marriage (story For The TL)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.