Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,458 members, 7,819,669 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec (12076 Views)

Ministerial List: Those who Were Hopeful, But Have Been Disappointed! / NANS Tells Buhari: “You Have Disappointed Us In Your 100 Days In Office” / Prove Your Allegations Against Us, INEC Dares PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by aikuda(m): 2:04pm On Jan 18, 2011
@Violent: For crying out loud, there are cyber cafes littered all around costing just a little over 100 naira an hour, there are independent computer classes that cost less that 3000 naira a month, what you need sir, is initiative!. . . . it's shameful that even my 68 year old neighbor knows how to do common things on the computer, although he never had access to one as a student.  

Face it, Nigerian students are too sluggish and lazy. . .all they think about is how to get rich overnight, no one bothers to actually learn!

I am with you on this one. Even though I agree with people blaming the poor state of our schools for this problem. You can not go through life blaming the government for everything. You have to help yourself when the government cannot help you.   I went to take computer engineering from a provate outlet when I was doing a diploma in Theatre Arts at Uniben. It changed my life!

To be competitive in this era of information, you cannot just depend on what you are taught in school. You have to take initiative to get the knowledge that you think will help you. I wonder who is teaching yahoo boys how to use computers. They are finding ways because they are determined.

Many of our students are lazy, period. Almost everybody that can go through a four years program in the univiserty can afford a three months computer training class.

Stop blaming others, help yourself. No government will help you, if you dont. And no amount of complain will change the fact that you are not employable iif you dont have certain skills in this era.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by wesley80(m): 2:04pm On Jan 18, 2011
Why dont we give our graduates a break. We all kind of inherited the mentality of our fathers and grand fathers of being awed by the word "Graduate" thereby creating unrealistic expectaions especially when juxtaposed with our grossly underfunded educational system that has failed to keep up with the times. I wonder if the present crop of castigators who schooled in the 60's,70's and 80's would have fared any better under the same circumstances. The root of this awe is traceable to the days when a mere simple command of English left the predominantly illiterate and uneducated populace all too impressed at a fellow black mans mastery of the white mans language. To most, that was enough for graduates to attain Genius status and so "Graduate" became synonymous with "Genius". Now the stakes have been raised, Good English isnt enough any longer now u must be a genius in your field of study, a genius in the eyes of your boss, a genius in operating DDC machines even when u went all thru school without seeing or using one and the most annoying; a genius in the eyes of our foreign legion of education seekers(From Togo to Australia).
 The truth is graduates are just everyday people, while some are smart, some are dull, while some are inquisitive, some are docile and so on. No doubt the propoprtion of dull and docile ones seem to outweigh those of the smart ones in Nigeria but 4 Christs sake isnt that a reflection of our society? Nigerian graduates are graduates not geniuses. Get the difference.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by phantom23: 2:13pm On Jan 18, 2011
Wonders shall never end. Shows the sorry state of things in my country!!! it's just a matter of time! I shall return to take power and things will return back to normal.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by aikuda(m): 2:17pm On Jan 18, 2011
The problem I have with INEC is why they should assume that Corpers are computer literates. A competent organization should have anticipated such a problem and provide adequate training for those who will need it. This is the problem in Nigeria, we just complain, we just assume, and we don't take inititative.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by texazzpete(m): 2:22pm On Jan 18, 2011
aikuda:

The problem I have with INEC is why they should assume that Corpers are computer literates. A competent organization should have anticipated such a problem and provide adequate training for those who will need it. This is the problem in Nigeria, we just complain, we just assume, and we don't take inititative.

They didn't assume jack, they had 3 days of training just in case. They just didn't expect the corps members to be computer virgins.
Give me 20 mins with that laptop and i'll be up and running like a pro.

wesley80:

Why dont we give our graduates a break. We all kind of inherited the mentality of our fathers and grand fathers of being awed by the word "Graduate" thereby creating unrealistic expectaions especially when juxtaposed with our grossly underfunded educational system that has failed to keep up with the times. I wonder if the present crop of castigators who schooled in the 60's,70's and 80's would have fared any better under the same circumstances. The root of this awe is traceable to the days when a mere simple command of English left the predominantly illiterate and uneducated populace all too impressed at a fellow black mans mastery of the white mans language. To most, that was enough for graduates to attain Genius status and so "Graduate" became synonymous with "Genius". Now the stakes have been raised, Good English isnt enough any longer now u must be a genius in your field of study, a genius in the eyes of your boss, a genius in operating DDC machines even when u went all thru school without seeing or using one and the most annoying; a genius in the eyes of our foreign legion of education seekers(From Togo to Australia).
 The truth is graduates are just everyday people, while some are smart, some are dull, while some are inquisitive, some are docile and so on. No doubt the propoprtion of dull and docile ones seem to outweigh those of the smart ones in Nigeria but 4 Christs sake isnt that a reflection of our society? Nigerian graduates are graduates not geniuses. Get the difference.

there's always a baseline of expectation and basic computer skills has to be one of them. nobody's talking about fancy stuff. Just be able to navigate around Windows a little. Is that too much to ask?
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by asamuel: 2:24pm On Jan 18, 2011
INEC should blame themselves for awarding the contract of supplying DDC Machines to Zinox. Everybody knows how Stan Leo Ekeh of Zinox worked with Ndukwe in NCC to milk Nigerian's telecom resources dry. The guy knows how to bribe public officials to get bribe. Did anyone see him recently crying foul on newspapers that he has delivered?
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by aikuda(m): 2:30pm On Jan 18, 2011
They didn't assume jack, they had 3 days of training just in case. They just didn't expect the corps members to be computer virgins.

Atleast now you know that there are graduates who almost "computer virgins". With what I know about our system, there is nothing like expecting anyone to be computer literate. For such an important assignment, I will ensure proper training is provided, if we cannot find the people with the appropriate skill.

You can say whatever you want, the fact is that many Nigerian graduates are Coputer iliterates.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by wesley80(m): 2:31pm On Jan 18, 2011
texazzpete:

there's always a baseline of expectation and basic computer skills has to be one of them. nobody's talking about fancy stuff. Just be able to navigate around Windows a little. Is that too much to ask?

What u call a baseline might be someone else's mountain. I knew people in school that were from remote villages and spent their holidays and spare times in the village, the only time they had for the city was while they were in school and Cyber cafes were not that attractive places to spend money, not when u had to cater for yourself or rely on your village based parents. So what r u talking about?
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Kobojunkie: 2:36pm On Jan 18, 2011
Featuring on a political programme, “Focus Nigeria”, the INEC National Commissioner in charge of Publicity, Prince Solomon Soyebi, lamented that the commission was not happy with the development but explained that the commission took it for granted that the corps members would know the basic operations of a computer, a belief, he said, turned out to be misplaced.

INEC is WRONG!!! This is unacceptable and I expect Jega himself to possibly retract this nonsense and issue an apology to the corpers. There is no excuse for this.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by aikuda(m): 2:38pm On Jan 18, 2011
@ wesley80: What u call a baseline might be someone else's mountain. I knew people in school that were from remote villages and spent their holidays and spare times in the village, the only time they had for the city was while they were in school and Cyber cafes were not that attractive places to spend money, not when u had to cater for yourself or rely on your village based parents. So what r u talking about?    

There are a few of such people. Majoriy of our graduates can afford a basic computer literacy class, God! Moreover, if they see it as a priority, they will. What is the use of spending money for enginnering school, if you cannot afford to train yourself on the required program that will enable you get a job? its all waste of time and money, because you will end up in the same village that you were trying to leave. If you can't afford to be an engineer, be something else.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by DoubleN(m): 2:39pm On Jan 18, 2011
Arrant Nonsense!!! Corp Members are to blame my nyash!. Tell what Nigeria has contributed to the development of this Corp Members that will make them want to offer selfless service for her. This is the same government that doesn't provide computer to schools and yet to expect magic. The same government that kept undergraduates for over half a year at home in order to slap ASUU in the face. Let us face it,the Corp members are not to blame they are just casualties of this rotten environment.
BTW,why dem no train all the people they just hired during the mass recruitment to operate the machines?
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by nvo5(f): 2:42pm On Jan 18, 2011
I wasn't expecting INEC(Jega) to take the blame,
someone has to be blamed, the question is
who and my answer is the corp member. OR maybe those who
could not register have health problems.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by dazzy4real(m): 2:44pm On Jan 18, 2011
I wonda y dis our country is like dis. I saw an interview on a local channel where a guy waz been interview and he said the corper told them dat this was how the scanner was performing wen dey went for the training and dey were asked to use it dat way. Den don go buy fake chop the money now dey blame corpers.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by monkeyleg: 2:45pm On Jan 18, 2011
I think most are assuming that the problem here is basic, It might not be. By the way the Buck stops with INEC so they should be brave enough to accept the blame rather than laying it off on the corpers. This is damn pitiful
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by aikuda(m): 2:47pm On Jan 18, 2011
I wonda y dis our country is like dis. I saw an interview on a local channel where a guy waz been interview and he said the corper told them dat this was how the scanner was performing wen dey went for the training and dey were asked to use it dat way. Den don go buy fake chop the money now dey blame corpers.

I completely believe this is also possible. This is Nigeria. I pity us.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by wesley80(m): 2:52pm On Jan 18, 2011
aikuda:

There are a few of such people. Majoriy of our graduates can afford a basic computer literacy class, God! Moreover, if they see it as a priority, they will. What is the use of spending money for enginnering school, if you cannot afford to train yourself on the required program that will enable you get a job? its all waste of time and money, because you will end up in the same village that you were trying to leave. If you can't afford to be an engineer, be something else.

Not all the corp members failed to meet their expectations, just a majority maybe. But my point is we cant expect them to meet our expectations just becos they r "Graduates"
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jan 18, 2011
Those graduates that can't operate a computer system, and inability to work with Microsoft office application programs are really disgrace to this country Nigeria, that is my view, because at this modern age, our graduates should be perfect in operating computer system and office application programs.

I stand to be corrected but that is my view.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by monkeyleg: 2:55pm On Jan 18, 2011
If INEC felt these guys were not upto scrath ITwise why did they employ them? Again, another laspe in judgement. What ever way you want to look at this INEC is to blame. The Buck stops with Jega, he is the Oga
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by aikuda(m): 2:57pm On Jan 18, 2011
@WESLEY80: [color=#006600]But my point is we cant expect them to meet our expectations just becos they r "Graduates"[/col
I completely agree with you. I also think graduates should take atleast some of the blame for their computer illiteracy.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Kobojunkie: 2:57pm On Jan 18, 2011
COMPAQ:

The quality of our education is extremely poor. To be honest I myself could not use a computer when i graduated, but that was in 1999 when computers and internet were fairly new on the scene. With the amount of browsing and facebooking that the youth do, I would have thought that the average graduate would be conversant with computers. After all, I have seen an accounting graduate at WYSE (studying for ICAN) that couldn't seperate a list of transactions into debit and credit. That is how bad our education is.
Much of the facebooking and browsing is still limited to the south -south-west. Most of the facebookers connect via mobile devices. So, do not confuse the facebooking around your immediate environment with a country-wide trend. Still majority of the country has no internet access and majority still without machines to play around or work with.

Remember we once has a commissioner or was it minister of communication( my memory fails me) who could not even operate a simple computer.

On Training, I don't think INEC really thought this through. By the way, I thought INEC indicated it would need to train these the DDC Operators for a period of 2 months?
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jan 18, 2011
aikuda:

Atleast now you know that there are graduates who almost "computer virgins". With what I know about our system, there is nothing like expecting anyone to be computer literate. For such an important assignment, I will ensure proper training is provided, if we cannot find the people with the appropriate skill.

You can say whatever you want, the fact is that many Nigerian graduates are Coputer iliterates.
QED

For God sake,we are talking about an election that can change the course of this nation and INEC has started counting its loss.shame on them.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by JJay1(m): 3:11pm On Jan 18, 2011
For a graduate that want to compete on the global scene, learning how to scan and print with a laptop shouldnt take more than 15 mins. If some people here wants to excuse the corpers, then there is no hope for the country.

Im not saying a college graduate (in this case youth corpers) should automatically know how to use the DDc machine, Im saying it shouldnt be difficult to learn.

SIMPLES, like the meerkat ad
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by zionic(m): 3:12pm On Jan 18, 2011
INEC Bleep up!!!,
why dem go go buy "china" lappy and expec am to work wela here in 9ja?,
dont they know dat some 9ja citizens in da village dont even have finger prints?,
because too many years on the farm and on survival grounds don wither them hands finish,
like my uncle if the man shake ur hand u go fink say na crocodile back dey shake u, lol, so tell me how can the machine work here abi leave corpers alone oooo bc even to pay them na wahala for una,
Come to fink of it, INEC wey the balance of the $ or N130 billion??, i know sei una no spend am finish, cool
Una wana hammere?
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by victorazy(m): 3:13pm On Jan 18, 2011
Na waoo for our graduates nawa days
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by wesley80(m): 3:17pm On Jan 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[s]Much of the facebooking and browsing is still limited to the south west[/s]. Most of the facebookers connect via mobile devices. So, do not confuse the facebooking around your immediate environment with a country-wide trend. Still [s]majority of the country has no internet access[/s] and majority still without machines to play around or work with.

Y not stick to facts? Aside Lagos, other states in the SW wld struggle to compare with states in the East and SS in terms of Internet penetration.
 Majority of the country already have GSM coverage and with that comes internet access allbeit on a limited scale.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by celemel(m): 3:35pm On Jan 18, 2011
Prof. Jega has shown a very sad level of incompetence in this exercise.  He refused to heed advices of experts, sorrounds himself with docile, old, uninspiring people all the time.  Upon assumption of office, a lot of people offered to assist Jega to carry this asignment through but he roundly rejected them.  It is sad that registration of voters vide the DDC machines in 2011 has suddenly become rocket-science because of very poor and inept planning.  Mind you, the same sort of computers are being used by the Telcos to register SIM cards without any hue.  Same goes for the many national exercises in this country.  I remember that in 2002, SAGEM SA registered and issued Nigerians with National ID Cards using a very simple and cheap equipment successfully.  The programme had it's share of problems, but it wasn't anything compared to the INEC fiasco currently going on.  And, that was 8 years ago!  Before the 2003 General Elections, Prof. Maurice E(I)wu also conducted voters registration using laptops that were also romantically named DDC!  Still, whoever went out was registered.  The flawed system then, generated uproar and Nigerians therefore clamoured for a new system, hence, the current exercise. prof. Ewu used about a third of the number of DDC's compared to Jega's.  

It is very sad indeed, that we are now faced with the prospect of having to compare our own dear Prof. Jega with Prof. Ewu.  And if care is not taken, Ewu may turn out to be a better election manager, at the end of the day (God forbid)! For one may ask, of what need was a new Voter's Register if the fundamental component necessary to forestall double-registration and registration by ghosts (biometric data capture and authentication) is bye-passed because the equipment are not functioning optimally or, the operators lack the skills-set to run the equipment?  How could it be that prof. Jega, the immediate past VC of Bayero University - Kano, does not know that a vast majority of graduates churned out by Nigerian Universities can't use the mouse and keyboard effortlessly? Does it mean, he was out-of-touch with the community he presided over? Does he not know that every graduate of the Nigerian tertiary education system, who has managed to graduate even with a Pass class of degree must embark on the NYSC and that most of the corps members are not employable and cannot even spell their names at all?  Something is definitely wrong with our dear Professor!
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by 1025: 3:39pm On Jan 18, 2011
a typical nigerian ruler. nigerian rulers will never accept responsibility when ever they fail. was the NYSC part of the N87b given to jega by his sponsor - jonathan.
from all indications, jonatha/jega have nothing to offer this dying country of ours.
pdp and whatever they can offer represent failure as long as our history is concerned.
in ibadan, a ddc machine missed only to resurface with 2000 names and that is the progress we are looking up to.
jonathan will always tell us via facebook to say good things about nigeria so i say; GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Donmeca(m): 3:40pm On Jan 18, 2011
From violent on Today at 11:24:09 AM
Silly damn silly mentality!. .

This is what happens when people don't have anyone to blame for their inefficiencies, the government is the easiest and most convenient enemy! . . .how about you take a larger share of the responsibility, No?

For crying out loud, there are cyber cafes littered all around costing just a little over 100 naira an hour, there are independent computer classes that cost less that 3000 naira a month, what you need sir, is initiative!. . . . it's shameful that even my 68 year old neighbor knows how to do common things on the computer, although he never had access to one as a student.  

Face it, Nigerian students are too sluggish and lazy. . .all they think about is how to get rich overnight, no one bothers to actually learn!

Then Meldrick responded:

Very myopic and shallow mentality.
The students are only products of their environment. Must you depend on Cyber Cafe to get equipped with the knowledge you desire as a Computer Science student. There certainly would have been no need to write JAMB, gain admission into the University to study Computer Science if you say going to the Cyber Cafe is a better alternative.

The students are products of their environment. The government has failed. Don't expect anything better. After years in the University, most of these students never had a practical example and you say you have a good government. That you can afford 3,000 does not mean everyone can afford it. Who does not desire to be rich overnight including you? It is never bad to dream. Stop claiming Mr. Righteous

[b]While I don't support INEC to single out corps members for blame in a collective failure, I wud also put down d following as per the above quotes.

[/b]
@Meldrick,
I believe u to be a product of the Nigerian school system within the same generation as your friend who could not shut down your laptop. How come come u never studied computer science(which shud av exposed u to the nitty grtty of computer usage and programming) yet u can operate computers very well? Oh, may be u went to private schools (nursery, primary, secondary and tertiary) where, according to popular hype, the standards are heavenly. Let me inform u that I am a product of Naija public schools, primary to university (never attended nursery) and thus was not privy to any form of computer education until i made the effort to grow with time and this was in my final year in the university. What did I do? I registered for computer training when other students ran home to celebrate "graduation" (without even seeing their final results). I stayed back and committed two months to the course ( a sacrifice most youths won't dim fit to make without parental prompting). I will also add that i never tasked my parents for the cost of the training. . .it was my agenda and I pursued it without letting them know. I also ensured that I typed my project and that of my girl with my desktop. . .I felt fulfilled that I could do it.

Today, my story wud av been like these corps members u are encouraging to fold their hands and wait for their corrupt governors give them laptops, and probably and sit down to teach them how to use them before making any effort at all at learning. there are things school will never teach u. A little effort is needed from our side. There is no possible excuse for a graduate not to be "basically" computer literate. NONE!

your computer scientist friend is purely incurably lazy bro. . . Tell him that.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Kobojunkie: 3:41pm On Jan 18, 2011
wesley80:

Y not stick to facts? Aside Lagos, other states in the SW wld struggle to compare with states in the East and SS in terms of Internet penetration.
 Majority of the country already have GSM coverage and with that comes internet access allbeit on a limited scale.

What facts? The Actual facts or your imagined facts?

http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-now-the-fifth-largest-country-in-the-world-2009-4

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1382.snc4/163413_479288597199_9445547199_5658562_14158417_n.jpg
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Wumine(f): 3:42pm On Jan 18, 2011
Quote from: 10cirenoh on Today at 12:28:07 PM
Will you shut up there? who told you cyber cafe is a luxury? with 100 naira, they can send scam emails, but when it comes to learning with the same 100 naira, it becomes a luxury abi?

so is it the rich kids that patronize the cyber cafe? THE CYBER CAFES are for the damn poor which your useless "university" student falls into.

They can't vote, can't defend their votes, don't know what they want, can't learn for self actualization, can't even do anything right.

Useless youth, all they know is dance, music, facebook and se.xxxx

Uhmmmm! Easy! Why are you spitting fire? Don't you think that is a bit harsh? Abi u are the INEC recruitment officer? Well your posts says alot about you.

I still stand on my point and say govt is to blame for this. Whatever INEC is facing now is a product of its ill preparation
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by 1025: 3:43pm On Jan 18, 2011
SHUT UP JEGA, SHUT UP PDP. WHATSOEVER GOES WRONG WITH THIS 2011 ELECTIONS, THE TWO J(JONATHAN AND JEGA)OF THIS COUNTRY WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE.
DID JEGA SHARE THE OVER 80 BILLION NAIRA GIVEN TO HIM BY JONATHAN BY THE NYSC?
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by marcus1234: 3:46pm On Jan 18, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

BON/NEDG Vice-Presidential Debate: Official Thread / $9.3m Deal: Northern Muslims Accuse FG Of Cover-up / Boko Haram Kidnaps 8 Girls (Between 11 & 14 Years Old) In Cameroon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.