Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,562 members, 7,827,099 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull (55816 Views)

My Younger Brother Is A Bone In Our Throat. Pls Help! / Help!!! My brother is down as his wife got back in contacts with her Ex / My Brother Is Sleeping With Our Cousin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Enwhen(m): 10:33pm On May 29, 2020
Gundel001:
Hi good day my fellow Nairalander please I will really need your experience about this issue. Please help me read to the end as it is a little bit long.

My junior brother is 14 years old and to be sincere I haven’t seen anybody as dull as him. I don’t know if it is natural but I just can’t understand why someone at that age could still be struggling with very simple arithmetic. My brother can’t write 1 – 150 correctly at 14.

He seems too dull; note he attends one of the best private school around our area, though I know you might say maybe education is not his way but even if you want to drop out from school you should know some basic things like money, time, multiplication and so on but my brother doesn’t know anything I must say, even to write his name correctly is a problem. It is making everyone unhappy lot of money is being spent on lesson teachers and other things for him still no improvement.

I am a student of one of the top federal University in Nigeria same as my other siblings even at both secondary and undergraduate level we were always above average so I can’t say his problem is genetic. I really wants to know what is the problem with him nairalanders. After I finished secondary school I once taught some pupils in primary school though there were dull ones too there but with time I could see improvement unlike my brother i always try to teach him from time to time but it kind of frustrating as he doesn’t even seems like he will ever grab anything and he doesn’t behave like he wants to learn anything.

He makes it seems as if he is not interested book or arithmetic at all …we all tried talking to him endless time to always read any time he his less busy but he never does except he is being forced.

He rarely talks, he loves to keep to himself always, he doesn’t have interest in anything unlike we the others that are die hard football fans, most times my mom will tell him to even go out to play and mingle he will not still want to go, he prefer to stay at home seating all day without reading or doing anything, even if it is to draw or play football he wont.

This matter is not making everyone happy at home we don’t even know the solution to his problem again, as in imagine having a child that is 14 years old that doesn’t know the difference between 17 and 71 it is just so bad…..

We don’t know if his case is mental or spiritual. please nairalanders I know there are child experts in the house or anybody who have experienced something like this before what do you think is the problem and possible solutions to the problem your contributions are welcome.

Please help me push this pleaseeeeee

Your brother is not dull... His foundation was faulty ....if you keeps putting more pressure on him , he becomes dull completely, but if your encourage him , stop him from much play and restructure his thinking , he will be the best in your family...most of those school your send them to from nursery , it's play and singing they doing and if they much, the teacher will be more concerned about his/her salary than taking majority of the class along ...on this , we miss our real old teachers of the past , not today teachers , teaching because of lack of jobs.
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by FASASI1(m): 10:34pm On May 29, 2020
Alhajiclem:
He needs spiritual growth

Tell them the name of the church you attend so they can bring him

1 Like

Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Nobody: 10:34pm On May 29, 2020
Gundel001:
Hi good day my fellow Nairalander please I will really need your experience about this issue. Please help me read to the end as it is a little bit long.

My junior brother is 14 years old and to be sincere I haven’t seen anybody as dull as him. I don’t know if it is natural but I just can’t understand why someone at that age could still be struggling with very simple arithmetic. My brother can’t write 1 – 150 correctly at 14.

He seems too dull; note he attends one of the best private school around our area, though I know you might say maybe education is not his way but even if you want to drop out from school you should know some basic things like money, time, multiplication and so on but my brother doesn’t know anything I must say, even to write his name correctly is a problem. It is making everyone unhappy lot of money is being spent on lesson teachers and other things for him still no improvement.

I am a student of one of the top federal University in Nigeria same as my other siblings even at both secondary and undergraduate level we were always above average so I can’t say his problem is genetic. I really wants to know what is the problem with him nairalanders. After I finished secondary school I once taught some pupils in primary school though there were dull ones too there but with time I could see improvement unlike my brother i always try to teach him from time to time but it kind of frustrating as he doesn’t even seems like he will ever grab anything and he doesn’t behave like he wants to learn anything.

He makes it seems as if he is not interested book or arithmetic at all …we all tried talking to him endless time to always read any time he his less busy but he never does except he is being forced.

He rarely talks, he loves to keep to himself always, he doesn’t have interest in anything unlike we the others that are die hard football fans, most times my mom will tell him to even go out to play and mingle he will not still want to go, he prefer to stay at home seating all day without reading or doing anything, even if it is to draw or play football he wont.

This matter is not making everyone happy at home we don’t even know the solution to his problem again, as in imagine having a child that is 14 years old that doesn’t know the difference between 17 and 71 it is just so bad…..

We don’t know if his case is mental or spiritual. please nairalanders I know there are child experts in the house or anybody who have experienced something like this before what do you think is the problem and possible solutions to the problem your contributions are welcome.

Confirm that he can read. Our last born had a similar problem in primary 6. Failed freestyle. Turned out he couldn't read. After we solves that problem he turned out to be the most intelligent in the family (based on everyone's WAEC performance). Man graduated with a distinction in his masters fro the UK

1 Like

Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by makavelidon(m): 10:34pm On May 29, 2020
Your brother has learning disability in conjunction with arithmetofobia. And seems to be a little bit autistic too. Take him to a clinical psychologist.
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Rok01: 10:34pm On May 29, 2020
LegalOpinion:
As you suspected, everybody in your family is the same except this boy. I think this boy may not be truly your ------------.

Please stop this we are not created the same way
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by omotoyossi(m): 10:34pm On May 29, 2020
Browse on DYSLEXIA and AUTISM. u will be shocked.
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Sunscreen: 10:34pm On May 29, 2020
Illnesses like this run in families. Someone must have passed it down. May not be this severe. I'll advise u to check ur family history
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Nobody: 10:35pm On May 29, 2020
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by geezynoni: 10:35pm On May 29, 2020
Op you are the dull one, honestly.
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Gundel001: 10:35pm On May 29, 2020
Kobojunkie:

I am guessing that in a place like Nigeria, it is not common to find help for children who may have such issues, so you may have your work cut out for you. I suggest you start by taking him to see a psychiatrist, to get an idea of what possible problems he may be dealing with. There are only videos on how to help children with learning difficulties.
If it turns out he has a learning disability, which I highly suspect, you will need to find teachers who understand and are able to tailor his learning to his needs, and you will like it. Also best if the entire family is also educated on his needs, so you contribute to his learning in every way.
Just so you know, there is no CURE for learning disabilities. However, by finding out how he learns best, and tailoring his learning to that, you ensure that he is able to live a near normal life.
wow thanks a lot
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Angelinastto(f): 10:35pm On May 29, 2020
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by edunaragold(f): 10:35pm On May 29, 2020
Hey man don't say ur brother is too dull,remember 50cent said,I this" if u speak or listen faster ,now u gatto slow down for me to catch up bitch,so don't worry if he don't catches up early, by his 19/20 he will,its has happened to me,now in my family na me get the best work.pass 3even my senior and the brilliant, Bros, no b Who brilliant dey first make ham in life.that guy u see so ,go even first u make am,and u will be surprise.
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by NoLotty7(m): 10:36pm On May 29, 2020
Gundel001:

àt first I was thinking maybe it is autism but people suffering from that are known to be smart which he his not
please,stop beating the child or embarass him but correct him most times.when he attains his 20yrs up he will be force to learn on his own because his age mates will be different from him and this may force him then to get sense.
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by onyeks14(m): 10:36pm On May 29, 2020
Gundel001:

àt first I was thinking maybe it is autism but people suffering from that are known to be smart which he his not

not all
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Gundel001: 10:36pm On May 29, 2020
Eulalia:
Is he mentally challenged? Like is he autistic or has down syndrome?
I don't think so
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Gundel001: 10:36pm On May 29, 2020
Eulalia:
Is he mentally challenged? Like is he autistic or has down syndrome?
no
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Gundel001: 10:38pm On May 29, 2020
bayotwice:
You need to love him regardless... He is ur blood
I do regardless
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by sirk98: 10:39pm On May 29, 2020
No one is dull.He has a talent.try and study him and help him in his talent.education might not be his way.
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Abusadiq01(m): 10:39pm On May 29, 2020
Possible Causes

1."and he doesn’t behave like he wants to learn anything."

2. Congenital disorder

3. Mental Retardation

Solution

1. If there's something he loves to do, do dat thing together with him and then divert his attention to wat u want to actually teach him

2. Visit a Psychiatrist or physiotherapist

3. Avoid Malnutrition, provide proper diet (buy him whatever he loves to eat) and regular exercise!
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:39pm On May 29, 2020
Gundel001 please watch this movie: the upside 2017, that is the answer to your question.
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by greenskittles: 10:39pm On May 29, 2020
egojeny1:

I doubt cos autistic children are very smart.

Op needs to take him to a neuropsychologist for proper diagnosis or get him a therapist asap.
Autism is a spectrum, in some it makes them exceptional at one thing in particular while having adverse affects on other parts of their mental development, and in some they are simply like OP's brother.
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by sync(f): 10:40pm On May 29, 2020
Sounds like some learning disability. He shouldn’t be even in a normal school
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by VicM6: 10:40pm On May 29, 2020
learning disability plus the fact that he doesn't mingle with friend's or people makes it worst... OP u guys shud try nd find a solution to his problem b4 it gets worst than this..... imagine when he turns 25 and still doesn't associate with people or can't count from 1 to 150..
The poor boy needs urgent help OP, hospital should solve the problem.

some people here might say it's a spiritual attack, yeah; it might be because the world is turning up side down. But pls at OP don't take ur brother to any spiritual house or so for counselling bcus those people can turn problem to wahala..... There are real spiritual men of God out there but 70% are fake.... becareful
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by davidhobo: 10:41pm On May 29, 2020
Sorry o
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by SILVERLINES: 10:41pm On May 29, 2020
Gundel001:

cheesy
that boy will surprise everyone of you when we will come out of the university with first class.

Put today's date on record. Don't look down on him and don't get tired of him. Keep working he will get better.
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by SamuelLoch: 10:45pm On May 29, 2020
Gundel001:

He's a damaged learner.
There are three domains to learn something new, cognitive domain, affective domain and psychomotor domain.
Getting a lesson teacher, writing and telling him encompasses cognitive domain. You'd have to explore the affective and psychomotor domain.
Try teaching him through demonstration, simulation, an app or a place.
You need to work on his self-esteem also, seems he has lost his confidence.

1 Like

Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Xbee007(m): 10:45pm On May 29, 2020
tellwisdom:
Spiritual
The boy is probably dyslexic. Nothing like spiritual.
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Sweetcho: 10:46pm On May 29, 2020
Humanoid01:
I have no idea what this is, but the part where you said he doesn't know the difference between 17 and 71 got me thinking about dyslexia or dyscalculia. From your narrative, the greater part of his problem points towards arithmetics, so it's more likely to be dyscalculia. It's also possible to have more than one learning disability, so chances are he's suffering from both.

People with learning disabilities are not necessarily dull (or unintelligent), it's just that the parts of their brains that are responsible for the performance of generally easy tasks which are difficult to them, are in a state of disorder. I'm a slow learner, but I don't consider myself dull, and that's because I believe every individual needs specific conditions to enable them learn effectively.

That boy may be even more intelligent than all of you. He needs to visit a psychologist or learning specialist who understands what it means to have an LD. Stop wasting money on lesson teachers.

I got the following from a website and it fits with some of the descriptions you made:
Dyscalculia

A specific learning disability that affects a person’s ability to
understand numbers and learn math facts. Individuals with
this type of LD may also have poor comprehension of math
symbols, may struggle with memorizing and organizing
numbers, have difficulty telling time, or have trouble with
counting. https://ldaamerica.org/types-of-learning-disabilities/

Well said!
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Victorjoel(m): 10:48pm On May 29, 2020
He is autistic..... I’m positive.
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Wendy80(f): 10:49pm On May 29, 2020
Gundel001:

I think this is a case of Dyslexia?.
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by marooh: 10:50pm On May 29, 2020
Vyzz:
grin
Why are opening your dirt here
Re: HELP! My Brother Is Too Dull by Olarewaju89: 10:51pm On May 29, 2020
Pls, as you seek for physical solution, also try and seek spiritual as well. God will heal your brother in Jesus name!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Tonbra Alamiesiegha's Marriage Crashes, Wife Caught Pants Down In Hotel Room / Woman In Adamawa Sees Husband's Romantic Chat With Another Lady On Facebook / Hillarious! Satisfy Us In Bed Or Face Mass Divorce - Kaduna women protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.