Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,006 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Love: An Illusion Or A Misconception - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Love: An Illusion Or A Misconception (825 Views)

What Misconception Does People Have On You? / Nigerian Girls And Misconception Of "Ask Me Out" / How To Love An Igbo Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love: An Illusion Or A Misconception by fellow(m): 12:03pm On Jan 23, 2011
I have often asked myself what the word 'love' really mean. Does it mean that tingling sensation I feel when I see a girl I like? Or probably the 'strong things' she makes me feel whenever I am with her? Over time I have come to realize, love to me is generic. It doesn't sustain a relationship and neither does it guarantee a successful marriage. A lot of factors comes into play when it comes to finding a life partner and I do not think that 'tingling emotional feeling' is part of it.

"Generic is something that is general, common, or inclusive rather than specific, unique, or selective" - Wikipedia

A number of us approach a relationship believing that love is an emotional feeling that comes into play when we meet our 'perceived' mr/mrs right but if it were that, why do we fall in and out of love? Why do someone you so cherish 2 years ago become a total stranger to you? Does that mean you didn't love him/her at the time when you were both together? Why do we feel so much love for someone, yet when we break up and find someone else, we feel that same love - sometimes greater/lesser than our previous lover?

IMO i think its gonna be 2 things. Its either love has been misinterpreted totally or probably there's a 'feeling' out there greater than love. I'd really like to know your thots on this.
Re: Love: An Illusion Or A Misconception by Dsense(m): 12:32pm On Jan 23, 2011
OP.
My thought over this is that feeling of love varies from one person to another ''The way you love some1 and cherish them is completely alien to how another person handles it'' . . . .By this,Some pple would love their partners till they are seperated and even he/she meets another partner, he/she would still love his/her previous partner more than he does love the current partner because when he/she was with the former partner she/he was treated the right way,they had the best time ever and they both exchanged the real meaning of love with eachother.
At the same time ,A guy might love his girl and after seperating from her ,He luckly meets someone else,Possibly he loves this new girl than he did love her former girl because then when they were still together the atmosphere was all dark during this era,they never think the same way,the original power of love didn't exist then as they claimed,all they expect from eachother is merely sexual activity and never think of lifetime happiness.So furtunately the chance of seperation came and they grab it.Don't you think if any of this couple meet some one else,He/she might love the person than she did love her/his former partner?. . . . . .That's all!
Re: Love: An Illusion Or A Misconception by iice(f): 3:02pm On Jan 23, 2011
Too lazy to find my old post on this. So i'll summarize;
Love is just a word. We give it life, thus it is subject to our interpretation based on who we are.
It's seems to fall short of our expectations/assumptions because we are flawed as humans.
Re: Love: An Illusion Or A Misconception by fellow(m): 5:50pm On Jan 23, 2011
@d-sense

I don't quite agree with you. You said the 'feeling of love varies from one person to another' but I think love should be a feeling we share towards people and not just a specific person. A number of things make people break off a relationship and I doubt if lack of love is one of them.

As for your other post, you made mention of a guy/girl falling more/less in love with their ex or current partners. With this point, don't you think it shows that love can be transferred from one party to another.

@iice

I'd like to go through your old post. You talked about interpretation of love. Take a look at this case, let's assume a poor guy and a rich guy are both in 'love' with the same girl. The fact that the rich guy can interpret his love with gifts and cash while the poor guy interprets his with his sincerity and genuineness doesn't imply that one love is greater than the other regardless of who the girl eventually picks.

If this is true then it shows that love is generic and has no influence on sustenance of a relationship or marriage.

(1) (Reply)

When A Wonderful Woman Enters A Crackedhead's Life / A Penny For Your Thought / The Five Commandments Of Waiting (for Ladies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.